Medical Questions > Mental Health > Sleep Disorders Forum

Falling Out of Bed

This is not really a medical issue but a question. Why when we fall to sleep does our body/ mind not let us fall out of bed. I recognize baby's /toddlers learn not to fall out of bed over time but since we are in a sleep state what allows the body to recognize the edge of the bed and therefore not fall out. I read an article on using bed railings for the infirmed or elderly and it just made me wonder what subconsious training is going out that keeps healthy adults from just falling out of the bed while sleeping :?
Did you find this post helpful?
First Helper User Profile smartykat
|

User Profile
replied May 19th, 2011
45 and still fall out of bed
I have fallen out of bed 7 times in the past year, recent as Monday, and nailed my head on my night stand. I have never fallen out of bed as a child, and having nerve issues in my brain, doctor is trying to find out if this is related. I have chipped teeth, hit my nose and chin as a result of falling out of bed. Many times I have no idea why I fall out, but last time, I was dreaming about jumping out a window, following the lead of people ahead of me. I sleep close to the edge of bed on my side and now for my safety I must get rails.
|

replied July 9th, 2011
I know and elderly gentleman in VA that has trouble will falling out of bed. He has had that problem for many years. He developed a device that prevents him from falling out of bed. It is not a rail system. It will attach to any regular bed. Since he now uses the device, he has not falled out of bed.

I can provide the contact information for him if you would like to learn more.

drstrong
|

replied October 10th, 2011
You may have a sleep disorder and are not getting REM sleep. A EEG can diagnose this.
|

replied October 12th, 2011
Light Alcohol Consumption and Medications
I can tell you right now what causes this in my case. I strongly believe I've pinpointed my trouble falling out of bed twice over a period of as many weeks. Although I'm 63 years old these are the only two times I have [ever] fallen out of bed in my whole life; and uninjured only skinning my arm on the night stand and a little knock on the head (no egg), my wife and I both laughed about it since this last episode woke her too. But unable to get back to sleep after being suddenly jolted awake, mildly dizzy and sublimely curious (maybe even a little suspicious) I decided to wobble into my workstation room and 'Google' this issue to see what was up. ...Great things computers!

On both occasions rolling off the bed while asleep I treated myself to two large goblets of red wine with dinner (Paisano). And, being relatively abstemious I never drink very much because of the following:

I'm taking a host of oral medications such as blood pressure pills; Type II diabetes meds (Glipizide and Metaformin); Simavastin for cholestorol; Atenolol; Lasix; Spironolactone; a 300mg. daily dose of cardiac prophylaxis aspirin, plus I'm an insulin-dependant diabetic. ...If this wouldn't cause somebody to fall out of bed, nothing would!
|

replied February 11th, 2012
bed rail to prevent falling out of bed
Get232healthy wrote:
I know and elderly gentleman in VA that has trouble will falling out of bed. He has had that problem for many years. He developed a device that prevents him from falling out of bed. It is not a rail system. It will attach to any regular bed. Since he now uses the device, he has not falled out of bed.

I can provide the contact information for him if you would like to learn more.

drstrong
|

replied October 5th, 2012
falling out of bed
I fell out of bed last weekend and ended up with 7 broken ribs, a badly bruised arm and shoulder. I had a dream that I had to get away from danger by jumping into a car to get away.
|

replied October 9th, 2012
I was having a similar problem with tossing and turning around in bed all night and sometimes falling off the bed. My sleep was very light and I suffered from allergies at night. I would recommend switching to a natural mattress.
Organic mattresses are more expensive than synthetic mattress, but they are very durable and have a long lifespan of about 10 to 20 years. Organic mattress are made so they are firm and relieve pressure and as a result your are able to enjoy restorative sleep. An organic mattress has improved my sleep and I don't find myself turning and tossing around all night.
|