Medical Questions > Conditions and Diseases > Orthopedics Forum

9 Months After Hip Replacement, Hip Tight And Sore (Page 1)

Must Read
Think you might be experiencing bone loss? Check out this Intro to Osteoporosis and evaluate your risk for developing bone weakness. ...
Although bone mass loss is normal as we age, some people are more at risk of developing osteoporosis than others. Are you at risk? More here....
Do you have severe back pain? Do your bones break frequently or with little pressure? You might be experiencing osteoporosis. Found out more here....
Its been 9-10 months after my hip replacement and my hip still feels tight and a bit sore when I climb stairs or walk. I'm pretty active and wondered if this was a normal and if others were feel the same. It just feels like the movement in the hip isn't smooth yet. Also sometimes if I try to run a short distance to catch my son I run with a lip and each time my right foot hits the ground I can feel it in the hip... When I ride my bike its the same. The normal leg moves smooth the one with the replacement feels like it needs some oil to make it move smooth. Just wondering if others felt this at this point in recovery and if it goes away in time.
Thanks for you comments
dr. Mark
Did you find this post helpful?
First Helper mrsterric
|
Users who thank DrMark for this post: westernrider0 

replied January 29th, 2008
9 Months After Hip Replacement, Hip Tight And Sore
Hello, Great post. I had my hip replaced a little over three months ago and have exactly the same symptoms. Sometimes there is an ache deep down in the core of the thigh bone. Did your's ever get better, or had to be done to fix whatever was wrong??
|

replied December 24th, 2013
Exactly! Six months out, and I could not be more fatigued and sore! I don't know if this is normal.
|

replied February 2nd, 2008
Had THP May 2007, hip is still tight and sore
I not only still experience occasional tightness and soreness, there are times I can feel it "click". My hubby thinks I'm nuts, he tells me it's not possible, I told him that if he ever gets his hip replaced he can tell me how it should feel!

I also get the deep pain, my doc said it was like having "growing pains", the bone and soft tissue are growing into the porous parts of the new hip.

I'm also having to have more surgery next month from a complication, the extreme swelling I experienced after going back to work caused some vericose veins in my lower leg to burst. I am having them removed.

Good luck to you! Be well soon, and stay well!
|

replied July 3rd, 2008
4 Months into THR
Hello,

This is my first post here and have had a THR in March of 08. I still have some issues with my new hip as well. My knee still experiences pain but I think it my be because my femur may still be bonding to the prosthetic. I had a Titanium to Polyethelene surgery. I will be 32 in October and surgeon told me that he was going to do a natural bond where the bone naturally bonds to the bone.

I like to believe that my knee pain and mid thigh pain is from the bonding process. Does anyone have any advice concerning this issue? Otherwise I feel great! The only thing is when my knee and mid thigh hurts it requires me to limp. I still have not been able to run yet. It seems like my body does not quite trust my hip yet. Will that status change as I get adjusted to my new hip?

As for the clicking....I get that too. I can press my heel on the ground at times and relax my leg muscles and it has a little play in it. Is that normal?

Thanks in advance and hope everyone is well,
Britton
|
Users who thank bosmith76 for this post: westernrider0 

replied July 25th, 2008
I had THR March 23rd 2008
I am 57 and had THR in MARCH, my hip was also Titanium. I am very active and wanted to get back to riding horses without pain and walking etc., my surgeon choose to glue the rod into my femur so that I could bear all my weight right away.
They did also put a extra long rod in I am told by the exray tech.
At this time which is right on 4 months, I have a minimal limg, dr. said up to 6 months to loose that. I have experienced knee problems off and on, at 7 months fell down our stairs due to knee giving out and sprained ankle and broke 2 toes which has not helped. That put me bakc to a walker for a week. I am now riding my horse 5 days a week without pain, can get my right leg witch is the leg that had the hip replaced over my horse back with ease etc.
knee is still bothering me, Dr. told me when they replace the hip they have wrench your leg to get it back in the sockit which causes this knee problem.
I also experience some pain on the outside of my leg which I believe is the muscle healing or strained. DR. told me muscles that they cut (3 large ones) take up to 2 years to heal. Before surgery I had trouble tying my shoes, clipping toe nails etc.
I now can do this with ease. I had trouble getting in/out of our corvette and now I can also do this with no problem.
My Dr. also has said more than once that I am impatient when I get frustrated about wanting to do more. He actually asked what did I think this surgery was a picnic? Its a long healing process and takes time.
I cannot run either, I take my dog for a walk 3 times a day but cannot go real far yet, about 20 min, knee bothers me and outside of the leg.
I show my horse in hand and we have to jog to get them to so I am hoping in another month when I go to my first horse show I will be able to do that.
That would be 4 months after sugery and I have set that as a goal.
|
Users who thank kicks for this post: westernrider0 

replied September 12th, 2008
horse back riding and THR on right hip
Just found your post and would love to be able to ask you a couple of questions. i'm also an avid rider and show on the QH circuits. I can't wait to get to ride again. My replacement was also on my R hip, and I'm wondering how I'll be able to swing my leg over my western saddle. Any suggestions on how to start? I'm not quite 2 months, so I know I have awhile to go before I can get back on, but I'm doing my PT and hope my leg becomes stronger soon. Thanks
|

replied October 8th, 2008
not happy yet after Total hip replacement
I had THR surgery on one hip 5 months ago. I am 53 years old but now feel like I'm 90! I've been going to Physical therapy religiously from 3 weeks out until now for 3 times a week, exercising for 1 1/2 hours at a time. I can walk on the treadmill for 20-30 minutes, stair stepper for 10 minutes then many different exercises. But I always feel tired, it takes a minute or so to get myself moving after sitting for 5-10 minutes or more. I have pretty consistent back pain, the hip, thigh and above the knee area is very tight. I feel like my new hip leg is long. The problem I had before was an inch or so shortening of the bad leg before surgery. Now it is in the opposite direction. Any thoughts out there? Do ligaments and muscles eventually adjust to an 1" lengthening after surgery? Does anyone else know of alternate therapies to help with the tightness and achiness? The one bright side is that direct hip pain is gone.
|

replied August 9th, 2011
I am 3 1/2 months post op. I still get very sore if I sit more than 15 min. I am young 43 and thought this would be easier. I also have a 4 y/o and no time to rest much. I am still very tight in my groin muscle. I also still have drainage from my incision. I am stiff and sore all the time. Does anyone else have a draining incision at 3 1/2 months?
|

User Profile
replied August 9th, 2011
Especially eHealthy
oldmama44,

The wound should have been completely healed by now.

You should be evaluated as to why the incision is still not healed. If you have a sinus tract from the incision, to the hip joint, you could have a deep seated infectoin.

Not all infections will produce the fever, chills, etc that is usually seen with an acute infection. Often the chronic ones are sequestered, so the body's reaction to them is less. They have essentially been walled off from the rest of the body.

Occasionally, a patient will "spit out" some of the buried sutures in the incision line, months or even years later. But, these are small pimple like areas, and the rest of the incision is healed nicely.

If it is a suture abscess, these usually heal up and go away once the suture is removed. But, if the area has been open and draining from the time of surgery, then that needs to be evaluated.

Three and a half months after a major orthopedic surgery is barely enough time for the soft tissues to have healed initially. The soft tissues will often take 9 to 12 months to completely mature and stretch out to their final working position.

You still have a long way to go in terms of rehab and final functional status. Most patients do not reach a plateau and find their ultimate functional status until at least 12 to 18 months after a total hip or total knee replacement.

If you have significant drainage, that needs evaluation. But, if a significant infection is ruled out, you then need to keep working on rehab, especially on stretching, strengthening, and endurance aspects. Hang in there, you have a ways to go. Good luck.
|

replied April 20th, 2009
leg length
it is common to have different leg lengths after THR even though surgeons do all they can to equalize both legs. Talk to your physical therapist or DR about a heel lift for your shoe but first determine that your leg is actually longer
|

replied August 3rd, 2009
I had a thr in april this year,i still have problems when i stand up at first I can feel the new hip and it seems when I lean forward its painful in my groin and awful back ache I now walk with a limp at times I cant bend down to do my feet and shoes without pain Im I just impatient
|

replied August 3rd, 2009
Community Volunteer
You are only 4 months post surgery...Give yourself some time...It can take a while to get back to where you were...Some things in life are never the same, but this is one of the most rewarding surgeries that I have ever seen....Good luck....

Caroline
|

replied August 4th, 2009
Hip Replacement and Tightness
I had THR two years ago. One month later I had a fracture of the trocanter and another surgery. Things went well, and I have been extremely active. I do leg presses, etc and have suffered no pain until today. I was doing a spin cycle class, and my hip is so tight that I am limping and can barely walk. Does anyone have any idea what could cause this?
|

replied May 1st, 2012
Stretch out your hip really well. Your gluteals are probably too tight. That happens to all of us regardless of hip replacement or not.
Best!
|

replied July 26th, 2010
THR in March 2007
I have had a THR in March 2007 and it is now July 2010 and I am in terrible pain all the time it has got much worse over the past 3 Months but has never been right, I asked my Surgeon many times what he thought was wrong but always told me everything was quite normal.
He has now moved overseas and I am going to see another Surgeon in September and I hope to get some answers.
I have to physicaly lift my leg into the car and out of the car, I can not lift my leg when sitting down or laying down, if I stub my toe I go through agony, my toes on both feet are numb and ache through the night to the point that it wakes me up all the time!

Has anyone got any idea whats going on please?

Bert
spam unapproved
|

replied March 6th, 2012
I dont know how you feel today but it has been almost a year for me. I had to have emergency surgery when my thr was done, I have not shaved ,or washed my own feet since. I have osteoarthritis and now 9 bulging disc my body feel s like i have been beaten by mohamid ali in his younger in his best days I am 55y/o and I feel like 100 plus I walk with a cane a very noticable limp clicking sounds my new doctor says he can fix me with a new surgery OH WOW WHAT SHOULD I DO I KNOW I CAN NOT GO ON AND LIVE LIKE THIS ,,,,,,,,GOOD LUCK TO YOU HOPE YOUR BETTER NOW
|

replied July 18th, 2013
Hope you feel a little better by now, it's been a while since you posted your comment.
I am 9 weeks post THR surgery, right hip, posterior approach. I am experiencing the same muscle pains all of you are, i am trying to be patient and just hope that it will improve with time but what i hear here scares me.
|

replied March 6th, 2012
I had aemergency THR done on may 8, 2011
I was visiting in IL when this happened anyway had surgery was having more pain in my foot than my hip and they did more xrays and realized my toe was broke and my foot fratcured anyway my hip never felt right it is horrible I wish to God I never had it done I wish they done something else I have not touched my feet in almost a year I feel like a week into my surgery I have clicking sounds pain in my groin area pain down my leg I have walk with cane and a limp I have no life at this point in my life I was already having a bad time with osteoarthritis my body feels everyday like I have been beaten and left for dead I am 55 y/0 and I have spoken with my doctor here at home and he another surgery would fix me WHAT WHY AM I NOT FIXED NOW HELP HELP HELP another surgery scares me like people just dont get the pain I was in to move aound after the first surgery and did I mention I have no reflexes on my right side and the left sid is the surgery side
|

replied December 12th, 2010
Total hip replacement
I have had THR also one month ago and still can not lift leg when lying down, not a bit,also hard to get in and out of car, is this normal.
|

replied December 14th, 2010
THR
Hi just read you comment. Yes I experienced the same thing, it get better with time as the swelling decreased and the muscles built up again. I had my THR in Aug 2007 and have never looked back although it took about a year before it really felt like it was my leg again!

I do get periodic mid thigh and knee pain. I have been told not to worry about this but to keep active as possible. I was 43 when I had my surgery. Hope that helps.
|

replied February 2nd, 2011
Feb 2010 I broke my hip,Dr put in 2 screws to fix. May, I broke the 2 screws, same Dr. now put in 4 screws. Sept 6 I broke the 4 screws and requested a new Dr. and received a hip replacement. It's a few days shy of 5 mos and I'm devastated I hurt as bad as I did a week after surgery. I'm using a walker at home and crutches outside. I'm 51, feel 101, limp terribly, pain is deep in the bikini area. My Dr. says he just doesnt know???? HHEEELLLLPPPPP
|

replied February 3rd, 2011
Pan in lower thigh 2 years after THR
I had a THR in October of 2008 I did fine after my surgery but now I am having extreme pain in my lower thigh it is on my right side, I sit at a desk to work but when I stand up I almost fall right to the ground it hurts so bad in my leg and knee area. I have not been back to my surgeon due to financial problems I am a 50 year old female. I don't know what to do it scares me I thought this surgery would fix all my pain and now it is worse.
|

replied March 2nd, 2011
Clicking in my THR
I had a 'Double' Hip replacement 5 months ago. I am 28 and the youngest of 3 girls. Both my other sisters and my mum have also had THR on both hips one of my sisters being the age of 21. I was in so much pain before the op. Walking was the hardest and standing for more than 5 mins caused me so much pain. After my op the recovery was so hard but soon the weeks past and my freedom came back! I have already done hiking holidays in Africa, Walking holidays in Barcelona and Amsterdam. I can do things now I could only have dreamed about before! - My body shape has totally changed too! I am up right now and walk with straight legs. I feel like a new person. One thing that has caused me to look on the internet tonight is that the day before last I noticed 'Clicking' in my left leg. Its not painful at all but obviously its slightly worrying? or is it? I have called my Surgeon today and he wants to see me. My physio (Who I still see twice a month) Also wants me to come in on Friday. Has anyone else had this? - Its only when I walk? Ever step I take I can feel it. My partner can put her hand there when I walk and also feel it too as it clicks out of the body - ? Please Please let me know if anyone else has had this as I am scaring myself.
|

replied July 21st, 2011
I had THR on both hips back in 2008. I still have pain every now and then in my groin area due to what I think is just tightness of the muscles. After the surgeries I managed to get back up and walking relatively fast, and even now I can walk perfectly fine, however I can't really run. I was told by my doctor that I would never be able to play any high impact sports like basketball ever again, but I have read several different stories of others with THR who have recovered to a point they have been able to run or play sports again. My doc used what he told me was a new material for hip replacements, ceramic cup and what I believe is a titanium rod. Supposedly the ceramic is supposed to last for a lifetime, which was important since I had my replacements done at the age of 30. Has anyone been able to recover well enough to run again or play sports such as basketball? If so, any advice in terms of rehabilitation etc?
|

replied May 1st, 2012
I have friends in their 50's who are playing tennis & teaching Zumba; one w/dbl hip replacements. I am recovering more slowly - bummer.
Best to you!
|

User Profile
replied July 21st, 2011
Especially eHealthy
Garadan,

You have what would be considered an excellent result, especially at your age. Do not attempt to do impact sports or heavy manual labor. You have to get these prostheses to last as long as you can.

Though the ceramic hips do not wear quite as much as the high density polyethelyne and chrome cobalt ones did, they are very susceptible to shattering if impacted. It is a ceramic ball, subject to all the failing of any other ceramic object. Though this is a rare occurrence, it has been known to occur.

And it is usually not the ceramic part of the prosthesis that wears out, but the stem or the outer cup, where they interact with the bone. At present, total joint components are lasting about 15 years, if taken take of. So you are probably looking at at least one, if not two or three more replacements in your lifetime. And they become more and more difficult to do, with much higher complications/risks.

You are able to walk as much as you want, with a little tightness once in a while. Where would you be if you did not have the THRs done?

Remember Bo Jackson? He tried to play impact sports with his THR. He has now had three hip replacements. He does lift weights, stays physically fit, plays golf, but he doesn't play baseball or football.

Be happy with what you have. Consider the future and the alternatives. Be smart, protect your hips.
|

replied February 23rd, 2012
I am 54 years old and I had a THR on the right done almost 4 months ago. My surgery was such a success, I had virtually no pain at all, I recovered really fast and went back to work after almost three months. I walk a lot at work, take the elevator rather than stairs and bend to reach files in bottom shelves and drawers. This past week I have been experiencing some muscular pain in my mid to lower right outter front thigh area. I attribute this to a) the femur bonding to the prosthesis and b)the muscles healing and c) the fact that I am walking, bending, etc., a lot. With rest it feels fine, with my cane for support it feels fine. It does take time for muscles, soft tissue to heal and bone to bond. I too feel like my right leg is a little longer, but it doesn't feel like it all the time. My limp is usually when it is sore. I will just be patient. Best of luck to all my fellow THR recipients.
|
12 >>