Medical Questions > Womens Health > Menopause Forum

Acne And Perimenopause? (Page 1)

Must Read
Acne is a common skin condition - but what types of acne can a person have? Start learning about acne here....
Does chocolate or greasy food cause acne? Learn the difference between fact and myth...plus who is at risk for getting acne?...
Severity of acne and symptoms vary by individual. Learn the difference between mild and sever acne here...and when you should seek medical help for acne....
Dear all,
i am 40 y/o and I am getting acne like there is no tomorrow!!
I never had acne in the true sense whilst growing up, just the occassional pluke/ boil half on half off my lips. Now for the last three years my face feels like the surface of the moon!!
My periods are changing but its kinda hard to describe , I knew how my body would react on any given day but it feels like someone spun the wheel and all my symptoms have landed in the wrong days!!
My skin feels as if there are invisible baby spiders running all over it.. But the spots on my face are what really gets me down...My forehead and hairline (and scabs of blood all over my scalp) are bad but its my chin that I really want sorted... Every day I get few more whether its a little pimple or a deep boiler!!! Even when they go they always leave deep purple bruising for months after....It feels like there is so much pressure it is gonna go pop!!! I also have an enlarged thyroid but my doctor said its not connected to the huge lump in my throat, do these sound like perimenopause symptoms to anyone? And is there light at the end of the tunnel? Any good acne cures?!!!
Did you find this post helpful?
First Helper nichol369
|

replied October 16th, 2005
Re: Acne And Perimenopause?
dexi wrote:
i also have an enlarged thyroid but my doctor said its not connected to the huge lump in my throat...

are you on replacement thyroxine?
Have you been diagnosed with underactive thyroid?
Because there is a connection with underactive thyroid (which can cause enlarged thyroid...I have that too), and tendency to get acne/spots when older.
I never knew that till a few months ago, and I was diagnosed with underactive thyroid in '91.
Am in perimenopuse now at 46.
|

replied October 17th, 2005
Dear wildflower. Was diagnosed with overactive thyroid several years ago, but not on any meds. I am convinced that there is a connection between this and this lump in my throat that is tender to touch, but maybe its just me. To be honest I have lost faith in conventional doctors as all they want to do is slot you into one category and feed you 'man-made' pills!! And if you want to ask anything about your complaint they look at you like you want their job!!! I try very hard to maintain my health with the use of herbal remedies and a sound understanding of what happens to your body when you introduce something into it. I try, I suppose to always be in control of my body. Sounds easy on paper but how many of us really are in control? P.S. Trying a ph balanced washing gel for my spots and it really seems to be having an effect!!!
|

replied May 26th, 2006
Acne And Perimenopause?
Hi dexi,

it's been many months since you posted your message so if you've found a solution to your acne problem, please let me know. When I read your post, I felt like I was reading about myslef.

My main complain, too, is my chin. I"m 41 years old and have had clear skin for years. When I was a teenager, I had pimples on my chin, but small ones; now I have these zits that look huge to me and feel sore. I think they do look like small boils. And as soon as one starts going away, I feel another huge sore bump coming to the surface right next to it!

I also have a nodule on my thyroid. I am having a thyroidectomy next month. I don't think they're related. My thyroid function is normal. I"m just having it out as a precaution, in case it is malignant since it's slowly growing and I had radiation for lymphoma on my neck 11 years ago.

Last year my dermatologist put me on retina micro which used to help my skin, but this time just made it worse. I also find this so depressing; it's sometimes hard to look my husband in the eye when I feel like I look gross.

I'm going back to the dermatologist next month. In the meantime, any advice?? What is the name of this ph balanced washing gel?
|

replied October 2nd, 2013
I know this is an old thread but I just found it . I have also had issues with Acne and Perimenopause . I have researched the topic a ton and what I learned was that it all has to do with Progesterone levels and there is a cream for that. Progesterone Cream applied daily . It will help your Hormones to balance and help your face to clear up and a lot of other symptoms will also go away or improve . I joined just to share this info because I want to be able to help other people get relief from this monster Menopause .
Theresa
|

replied May 29th, 2006
Suzannebaron
Hi there!
I have been advised to stop taking kelp on a regular basis in case this is what is affecting my thyroid count.
Re the ph balanced gel it is tescos own brand at 99p but it really does the trick, also drink lots of water thru'out the day.
I have recently had a tummy tuck(very pleased!!!), and in three weeks I have to have a tvt op (not looking forward to it!!!).
I still get scabs of blood on my scalp but am trying very hard to analyse my cycle exactly as im sure the key to good health lies within...Also very badly affected by growing patches of psoriasis and recently found out that this can be linked to food allergies, since I already have a couple of these I think it may be a possibility, does anyone out there know of any specific foodstuffs that result in psoriasis????
|

replied June 5th, 2008
Acne And Perimenopause and psorasis and allergies
Hi,
I too have always had very good skin on my face, and I had 1/2 my thyroid taken out when I was 18, and I've had "allergies" although to nothing in particular ...my immune system just takes off on its own and forgets to shut off (according to the doctor).

Now I am 42 and I'm bleeding 1 day a week, and I have acne especially on my neck. What is with the huge neck zits? They take forever to heal. My breasts are tender and I just had an mammogram & ultrasound to check that out. I've also gained weight in the last 6 months due to stress and lack of exercise (my mom almost died in an accident during this period).

My TSH & T3 always tests in the "normal" range but I keep forgetting to do the temperature test to know for sure. I get really cold hands and feet at night and have a slow metabolism. I have type II diabetes in my family and I am thirsty all the time. Plus, in the last 6 months I've got psorasis on my face. I always had it on my legs but never on my face.

Did you know that psorasis is related to lupus? Anyways, thanks for mentioning the kelp because I forgot about it relating to the thyroid. I definitely feel better when I am lighter but the emotional rollercoaster makes it hard to want to care about losing weight. I had to post because my situation sounds so similar.
|

replied February 6th, 2009
Acne and Perimenopause?
Hi All,I am 42 and like all of you have never had an issue with acne before. I don't believe I have a thyroid problem but will get it checked. I've started to get sore acne on the chin, forehead and neck- it's very depressing and embarassing. I also feel deep skin itching and like spiders are on my skin.

Does anyone have any suggestions??? Answers??? Help Please!!
|

replied February 9th, 2009
ancne and perimenopause?
Hi, I started breaking out w/acne about 5 years ago. I am 49 years old! I initially went to my primary care physician who vaguely determined I had adult acne. I then went to a dermatologist who prescribed injections of restylane for a couple of scars. Decided to go to a Top Doc dermatologist who prescribed a topical daily treatment that has left my skin red and 'at home chemically peeled'. This is foolish! I may have had 10 pimples in my teens, at the most...and now, I am constantly fighting cystic acne. My skin was perfect prior to my turning 45 years old. I have had an ovary removed because it was filled w/a blood cyst. Now, I wonder if my skin will ever be clear again. I have taken good care of my skin through the years so that I don't have any wrinkles, and am told that I look 30 years old...but what's the use of taking good care to avoid sun exposure and harsh chemicals, when I end up w/deforming cysts. And the doctors so far seem to find it all amusing.
|

replied March 5th, 2009
acne and perimenopausal
i am turning into an obsessive compulsive re hormones!! I hear you with the big welts, like its the folicles that just swell up overnight and stay for weeks it feels like. I'm 39 and up till 2 years ago (on same pill for 15 years) as always it came out of nowhere. went off pill and the constant greasy skin and pimples drove me to countless doctors to pay for them to say, give it some time, thanks for your 60 bucks for 5 minutes see you next time. well finally decided to go back on the pill, buggers wouldn't give it to me due to my AGE, running out of options finally found a doc to refer me to dermat, he has been great we are finally half way there. on spironolactone (aldactone) water pill which blocks the aldestrone hormone (androgens I think). the pimples in my hair stopped and the grease and the pms (don't want to kill people now), the fatigue, some of the vagueness (still a blonde) and the chin, forehead and cheek boil like pimples except when i have my period or ovulating for about 4 days in each, think due to hormone levels, just had blood tests done and prog and estro down so thinking regulating this is the next step (hence perimenopause search). also you loose weight on them which isn't good for me being 50kg already so i really need to eat well to maintain weight on these tabs and breasts get sore, but i'm happy with that at this stage, I can handle those downfalls. thinking after reading this site i might get him to do thyroid test too as that might be affecting my metabolism and playing a role. so hope this helps someone, i lost sleep looking up sites and trying to find my own cure for the symptoms that drove me crazy. My mum is a nurse and it took alot to get me to the point that i HAD to try medication. Alprim antibiotics 1/2 helped too, differin made my skin worse but apparently you need to use it for a long period, i found too much scarring. as my derm said its just an elimination game, if this dieuretic doesn't work roaccutane is next step which i don't want to go to if i can help it. doctors really need to wake up and realise this is a REAL problem that is affecting us and our life. it is not only destroying our confidence, we are on an emotional rollercoaster and feel like we are on it alone. I tell you if i hear one more person say to me it is diet, exercise and lifestyle that causes acne i am not going to be responsible for my behaviour. clearly i have tried all of these areas before i desperately went to the derm seeking answers. I can not explain the relief of sitting down with him on my first visit, (in my head expecting the usual response) and to hear, yes that is a problem and we can deal with this! It is not diet related! It is hormonal. Sheer relief!! Felt like on cloud 9 all day just to have someone to fight this with me not against me. Hope i helped you with my experiences, as my derm says 'still a bit of a journey to go, but we'll get there'.
|

replied August 5th, 2009
I hear you all!! I am 40 and have been having acne for the last year and 1/2. As a teen i would have one or two pimples once a month...now it is constant and more than ever....chest, neck, hairline, jaw and chin.
Is this just perimenopausal or what??? suggestions to treatments are welcomed.
I am glad i am not alone!
Thanks
|

replied August 12th, 2009
Acne and menopause
I'm 46 and I've had three periods in 11 months. I've run the gamut of symptoms of perimenopause and menopause. I feel like aliens have taken over my body. Now I have the acne and I want to scream. I just had bloodwork (again) to check hormone levels and thyroid, waiting for results. I've also been going nuts for the past month with itchy scalp. Last month, I had a stye that I can still feel under the skin, but it isn't visible anymore and doesn't hurt. Cold sores have been a problem at least 3-4x a year for the past few years too. Gastic disturbances, hot flashes, mood swings, palpitations, dizziness, nausea, arm tremors, numbing/tingling in my arms and legs.....I chalk it all up to hormonal imbalance and the doctors can never seem to find anything wrong with me other than "early menopause". I see a cardiologist (because I was a smoker until two months ago and I have high blood pressure) and my gyno (annually). Neither of them seem concerned that I have anything more serious going on, so I've stopped obsessing that it's MS, Lupus or any other disease (including hypochondria). I just wonder, when it's all over and done with, what will I be left with?? If it's the acne, I'll kill myself. These aren't really blackheads or even whiteheads. These are big red things that hurt and are just popping up everywhere, on my neck, jaw, back, chest, cheek....I've always had oily skin with an occasional "period" flare up, but I've always washed my face 2x per day with neutragena for acne-prone skin and I use other products with salicylic acid when flare-ups occur. This past month has been more than a flare up, this has been a complete "hostile take over" and I'm not happy.
|

replied May 31st, 2013
This is the post I can most relate. Thanks. I am trying Apple Cider Vinegar and thinking about over the counter estrogen.

I am 41 and have been getting acne that is out of control and painful.

I am a picker too. This is just greeeeeeeat....

I feel so overwhelmed and am having severe concentration problems.

I'm already a over thinker so this awful!!!
|

replied August 17th, 2009
I am 39 and I've always dealt with acne, but nothing like this. I broke out about a month and a half ago on my neck, chin, jawline, chest and back. It was on my forehead but that seems to be clearing up. I am desperate!! I went and saw my NP and she did hormone and thyroid (I am hypothyroid and on meds.) blood tests and all is well. I am desperate. This is embarassing and I find myself cringing when I have to go out. Does anyone have any suggestions?
|

replied October 11th, 2009
Glad to hear I am not alone....
I am so glad that I am not the only woman out there that feels these things! I am almost 49 and I have been hypothyroid for a little over 1 year. Before that I had Graves' Disease, doctors advised me to take radioactive iodine treatment, and ultimately became hypo. But the acne, spidery feeling, irregular periods, tender breasts & nipples - oh my gosh! My husband is so understanding, but will it ever end! I too can deal with all of it, but the acne. I have it on my chin, neck and all over my back. I almost hate to wear makeup as it is clogging the pores. I am to the point of wearing nothing but turtleneck shirts to cover up my embarressing looking neck!
|

replied December 14th, 2009
perimenopause and acne
Wow! It's so nice to know I'm not alone in "hormone HELL"! I'm turning 50 in a week and I've got horrible red acne (at least that's what I think it is) all around my nose and under my eyes...I want to cry!!! (I have been!) I've never had anything like this before...it seems to flare up when I have chocolate, but also flares up when I get a period...I have had VERY heavy bleeding for 2 days, after not having a period for 3 months---MENOPAUSE SUCKS!!!!! Sorry, but I know some of you can relate...thanks for letting me vent! I think I will try what Jack LaLaine says: "NO white sugar and NO white flour!" I know my skin is better when I avoid those things...Wish me luck! Smile And good luck to all of you---hang in there!
|

replied December 31st, 2009
I'm 49 and my zits on my chin are so bad my husband and I have given them names - Jolene, Josephine, Jo Nell, you get the idea.
My deem put me on a two month antibiotic routine and my skin really cleared up. But the cure only lasted 6-8 months. Now they're back with a vengence! What to do????
|

replied January 6th, 2010
Peri-Menopause and Nasty, Evil Acne
Hey all - it IS good to know I am not alone in this "Quest for Acne Abatement".
Like most of you I had good (actually great) skin for the past 30 years. I am 48.
A few years ago, I began peri-menopause and also began getting stress-related hives on my chin. Nothing I could not deal with and drinking lots of water seemed to help. NOW, though, the Acne Gods are giving me the boil-like zits of which many of you speak.
My bathroom (only one in the house) has been getting a remodel for the past 5 months (old house - horrible) and I've CONSTANTLY had at least one of these buggers festering on the chin or center of the forehead (3rd eye - how attractive - not!) due to the stress.
I have found 2 things that sometimes work:
1) Neostrata Acne Spot Treatment Gel
2) Colloidial silver
I would rather handle the root cause and prevent the darn things in the first place, but until I can solve that without causing worse problems (the ingested anti-biotic route is not for me), this will have to suffice. No hope in sight re the stress, either because come spring, we are rebuilding our garage and again I am in charge of the process.
|

replied January 6th, 2010
Hello---just wanted write a follow-up to what I wrote earlier---in case anybody can relate---about my breakouts on my skin...well, I found out it's not acne at all, but bumps related to shingles, facial herpes, etc...I had shingles when I was a kid, and a horrible breakout in my mouth in my 20's...so---it started to go away when I started applying hydrocortisone 1% to the sores...thanks to my husband---he is the one that told me the sores looked like they were related to shingles! Anyway, I think I had the breakout because of the stress from the horrible period I just had...50 years old and the heaviest period of my life---such a drag!
|

replied January 29th, 2010
Acne and perimenopause?
I'm so over looking,searching, and trying just about anything for this crazy skin issue.I'm 45 and like everyone else, didn't have adult acne until my 40's and retin-a mico worked for awhile, but then this new thing started a few months ago that has been a nightmare. My periods have been heavy and I've developed anemia which isn't so bad because I'm pretty healthy and normal weight for my age. The new strange thick white stuff is coming out of my pores. Not your typical pus filled pimple, but an endless supply of what I thought might be wrinkle cream coming out of my already oily skin.Of course being the obsessive picker that I am I was taking the side of clean tweezers on tried to get this gunk out of my skin. Needless to say I made my acne condition much worse which ended up being infected. The derm. put me on some meds.which three days later they called to switch the antibiotic because they said it was a staff infection. I had been watching the new Dr.Oz show (i love him,wish he was my doc)and had learned about MRSA so I asked the nurse jokingly if my staff was MRSA and she said yes. Well, I could go on forever but in a nut shell, I've done a lot of research and had to take a real but kicking antibiotic(levoquine) which left me with joint pain, and I still have the problem! I'm seeing a new derm. the first one prescribed the wrong dose of meds and soon as I told her I was researching MRSA, she was real nasty. I'm trying not to pick,and I'm using something called biafine which helps with healing wounds, but the thick white stuff is still under my skin.Silver gel also helps kill bacteria and healing but the big drug company's don't want you to know about something that's been around forever. Funny that bandaide has a new siverlined bandage on the market.(I found them at CVS, wear them at night or for a couple days if you can go without makeup and wear a bandage around,they really help and will force you not to pick. I'm going in for a follow up visit on Monday, hopefully I'll get some answers. I feel for everyone out there, stay positive and know that ,"This too shall pass"....let's hope so right. I'm not giving up, it;s not in my nature. I'll let you know what I find out. Jen
|

replied October 10th, 2012
It's "staph" infection, not "staff". (Staph for staphylococcus bacteria.)
|

replied October 16th, 2012
Wow, you took time out of your schedule to correct her spelling? I don't know about Srching4ansrs, but I'm looking for answers to my acne issues, not my spelling. Ya think you could possibly be adding to a person's stress with such "nit-pickiness?"

Srching4ansrs, I totally understand what you are/were going through. Thanks for sharing your story; you helped me a lot.

~JM
|

replied October 16th, 2012
I corrected it so that it can be looked up by others. That's all.
|

User Profile
replied February 17th, 2010
Possible perimenopause and hormonal acne.
I am so glad that I found this site and learned that so many other women are having the same kinds of problems I am. I was starting to feel slightly crazy wondering about these weird symptoms I have been having. I will be 39 next month and I have had some trouble with acne since my late teens, but I just recently started getting nasty bumps on the sides of my neck, along my hairline and the crown of my head. My face seems to be broken out at least three weeks each month, with the worst week being the one before my menstrual cycle. The acne is either bright red lumps or small bumpy areas around my cheeks and the bridge of my nose, and I cannot seem to avoid the urge to mess with them (I use tweezers as someone else mentioned). I am very familiar with the thick white stuff that srching4ansrs described. It turly is different from the pus that usually comes from pimples and it seems like there must be a layer of this stuff just under the skin covering my cheeks and the bridge of my nose. This stuff just appeared a couple years ago and I didn't connect any of this with hormones or perimenopause until I saw my dermatologist today and she told me that she thought the problem was hormonal. She prescribed Keflex to clear up the current infected areas and then said that she was going to try spironalactone, which I just researched through Google. The spironalactone seems to block androgen production which is higher when estrogen starts dropping before menopause. I thought I was still to young to think about menopause, but when I read the symptoms I had too many of them to deny perimenopause as a possibility: worse PMS, very heavy period for the first couple days and then it ends sooner than usual, decrease in labido, chronic headaches- usually in the mornings, face flushing (my ears burn and turn red out of the blue), that itchy feeling that people described, moodiness, swelling in my legs and feet, brief periods of tachycardia, tingling feeling in my arm, trouble getting to sleep at night, and of course the acne problem, which is worse than any of the other symptoms because it is so visible and embarrassing. I am otherwise healthy, so the only good news about knowing I might be experiencing perimenopause is that I was starting to feel like a hypochondriac because some of these symptoms seemed so sporadic and unconnected. I hate going to the doctor anyway, and it never occured to me to mention all of these symptoms at once to either my dermatologist or gynocologist. Anyway, wish me luck with the Keflex and spironolactone. It sounds promising for hormonal acne. I welcome any suggestions that have been helpful for people with symptoms similar to mine.
|

replied April 8th, 2010
Acne Atrocity
The crazy cycle of cystic acne is making me bonkers. Of late, I have gained 15 lbs, have a merry-go-round of red sore mounds around my mouth...chin and cheeks mainly. I don''t get what is going on. I have gone 2.5 months w/o a period, my face looks like I eat chocolate 24/7 or something. A GUY asked me today what is wrong with my face/chin...I said perimenopause. Fun eh? One starts to disappear and another pops up within hours...I am serious. I will look and think..oh good, it''s going away...and like MAGIC another one pops up. It is all month long for me. I use the Clairsonic and mild non drying, paraben free cleanser...very pure. NOthing seems to help. I will start with the colloidal silver next. Topically and orally. I think it''s systemic inflammation...and its time to put out the wild fire and keep it contained to the furnace!
It was good to read these posts. Thank''s all.
Angie
|