Medical Questions > Mental Health > Anxiety and Stress Forum

Sound I Hear That Seems to Be In the Back of My Head (Page 1)

Must Read
Learn how doctors clinically diagnose one of twelve kinds of anxiety disorders...and which doctors you should see for an anxiety diagnosis....
Anxiety disorders can affect anyone. But do you know the common signs and symptoms of anxiety disorders? Learn more now....
Anxiety is a normal, healthy emotion when experienced during specific moments. But do you know the signs that anxiety has gotten out of control? Read more here...
I very frequently hear a sound in the back of my head, at the base of my head. The only way I can describe it is it sounds like one of those rain sticks that you turn upside down. Another way to describe it, is like locust noises....Does anyone know what this could be? Am I the only one that hears these noises? Thanks.....
Did you find this post helpful?
First Helper fogger
|

This post has been removed because it did not meet our Community Guidelines.

replied September 23rd, 2005
Pandoras_box Noise In Head Reply
I dont know if this reply will reach you "pandoras box" but if it does I hope that you feel real good about your smart answer. You might think that this is funny to you, but I was under the impression this was a health forum and not an education in sarcasim....I dont need replies from people like you, I just wanted to find if there was someone that has the same thing I do, and it is not a rainstick strapped to my head or back!
Thanks anyway, I dont think that I will be using this site again. I believe I will go to the neurologist and see if they can help me. I was told it might be spinal spurs....
Have a good day!
|

replied September 24th, 2005
I used to have a clicking in the back of my head which was sinus related. Your sinuses run even to the back of your head.
|

replied September 24th, 2005
Extremely eHealthy
I have heard things in my head be4 but I cant really remember if it like a rain stick or not. It was a really long time ago I used to hear stuff. I just thought I was hallucinating--so I dint keep it in mind. If you know what I mean.
|

replied September 25th, 2005
:s I was only joking around I did not mean it in a harsh way :s
|

replied September 26th, 2005
Pandora's box you should have thaught more carefully about what you said.

I sometimes hear clicking in the back of my head. I went to the doctor and he said it had something to do with my anxiety. I always thaught it may have been muscle knots in the back of my head.
|

replied September 26th, 2005
You need to take jokes more lightely, there is nothing to become angry over a comment which is obviously not serious about someone strapping a rain stick to the back of your head. I apologize if it has offended you but I think you need to lighten up
|

replied July 31st, 2008
Rainstick noise
Hello, I hope you haven't given up on this site yet. My mom was just telling me that multiple times durning the day she feels like there is a rainstick in her head that it accompanied by her eyes vibrating. She says that it feels like the rainstick is draining from her head down her body. She has told 6 doctors about it and they have all just said "huh". My mom is 62 has no diabetes and moderately high blood pressure. i hope that if you find out what this could be that you could maybe let us know. thank you.
|

replied January 22nd, 2009
Rainstick Head
Yes, I have the same thing. It is pretty frequent, but mostly when I am hungry. But at other times, it can be when I am not hungry. It feels a bit like I am lightheaded, but it does sound exactly like a rainstick. I've never thought about it before, because I thought everyone had it, but when I told my mom, she said she did not know what I was talking about, so, yeah. Nice to know someone else has the same thing.
|

replied February 15th, 2009
i hear it too
what is it? ive been in and out of the hospital and they keep tellin me its anxiety then i go to my pcp and he says im just bored so now i have to go to a neurologist hopefully we can figure out this big mystery. every time i hear it i get hot flashes and im only 20
|

replied June 16th, 2009
i no what u mean i be hearing the same thing every other day it happens i thought i was just hearing thing but what is a rainstick
|

replied June 16th, 2009
i told my mom it kinda sounds like pop rocks
|

replied June 19th, 2009
Kimi... I came here tonight by typing this very thing in the search bar.. I hear the same thing, only I call mine nite sounds.. like all kinds of little critter sounds.. I hear a different pitch(bug sounds)and mine is getting worse, I can't hardly drive can't watch TV and can't sleep, plus I've started having a lot of pressure in my head, feels like something is around it so tight that it feels almost numb if I reach up and touch it.. I wish some one would come on here and give me some ideals as to whats going on, because I can't go and pay for test and more test.. I have to live with it..untill.. well seems it's getting worse so I'd say.. something is going very wrong.. Can someone give some ideals about what this could be.. Help Needed Please....DD
|

User Profile
replied August 5th, 2009
Experienced User
hello everyone this is nutritional deficiency & i can help you to rectify this reply if you are interested & i will be willing to help you.
|

replied August 11th, 2009
I think you have Tmj. go to a maxillary surgeon and he will examine you.they make a soft splint and you sleep with it. It's comfortable and it comes down the joints.A lot of junk comes from tmj including that buzzing sound,tinnitus..you can press around inside your mouth toards your jaw and see if you feel a lot of pain but the tmj dr will know really fast by examining you.good luck.
|

replied October 8th, 2009
I also have this same problem. I went to an ENT today and had a build up of wax removed from my ears but that didn't help. When I'm busy and talking I don't realize that it's there and I don't hear it. When I'm quiet I can hear it all the time. It started for me a few weeks ago and I'm very concerned. Can anyone explain it?? The rainstick is a perfect way to describe it. It sounds like crickets to me also and it semms as though it's coming from the back of my head. I'm thinking of going to a chiropractor.
|

replied April 23rd, 2010
This sounds very much like tinnitus. If you do a search for it you''ll find sites with sound samples that you can compare to what you hear. For me it''s a very high pitched hissing sound. For others it''s as you''ve described it. From what I''ve read, there are many causes including tmj.

In a noisy environment the background noise usually drowns it out to the point where you forget it''s there. The quieter it is, the easier it is to hear over the background noise. I''ve had it for so long that i''ve learned to ignore it. But when it gets your attention, it seems to get louder.

I hope this helps.
|

replied February 8th, 2014
I've had this for 2 yrs now. At first it was when I'd lay my head on the pillow to go to sleep, but these last few months I hear the high pitched hissing sound during the day. Nearly a yr ago, when I researched on line, it said a head injury could be why. I've had a bad fall backwards when I was 8 yrs old skating. I'm out of my stress situation, so hoping it will subside.
I will research tinnitus. Tks
|

replied February 24th, 2011
Rainsticks... That's a perfect way to put it. I've had that for a while now O.o Whenever I'm stressed, eat too much sugar or when I'm hungry. Further, I feel it, too. I always described it as water being pushed through a grate. Does anyone else feel that, too?
|

replied March 1st, 2011
It does sound like a rainstick! I always described it like the sound of crystals falling. Its at the base of the back of my head & pretty much only when I am laying down. Only lasts about 3 seconds. Why do we all have this & NO one knows what it is? Other people CAN hear it! My little daughter was in bed with me one morning when it happened & she said "did you just hear that?" I was so surprised! She heard it too!
WHAT is IT!!!!???? Smile
|
12 >>