Medical Questions > Mental Health > Anxiety and Stress Forum

Anxiety Linked to Pins And Needles?

Must Read
Learn how doctors clinically diagnose one of twelve kinds of anxiety disorders...and which doctors you should see for an anxiety diagnosis....
Anxiety disorders can affect anyone. But do you know the common signs and symptoms of anxiety disorders? Learn more now....
Anxiety is a normal, healthy emotion when experienced during specific moments. But do you know the signs that anxiety has gotten out of control? Read more here...
My doctor recently told me that bad pins and needles in my arms and legs are caused by anxiety!

Anyone else have this problem?

Ta very much Smile
Did you find this post helpful?
|

replied December 2nd, 2003
Experienced User
Re: Anxiety Linked to Pins And Needles?
markinireland wrote:
my doctor recently told me that bad pins and needles in my arms and legs are caused by anxiety!

Anyone else have this problem?

Ta very much Smile

i have not heard of this in a general sense, but it used to happen to me whenever I was having a panic attack. Look into cbt if you want to get rid of your anxiety. It's all about using the tools to learn to think more clearly and accurately about things and once you do your anxiety will miraculously begin to lift before your eyes. My favorite starter book on cbt is "been there, done that? Do this! By sam obitz. You may also want to check out the mood gym site for further research on cbt.

Good luck!

Q
|

Cheers :-)
Thanks very much for your reply, I will check that stuff out and just hope it works Smile
i just seem to be constantly worried about nothing ( if that makes sense ).

Speak to u again soon, good luck
|

Experienced User
Sadly your worrying about nothing does make sense to me. I've been there and it was awful. But keep your chin up as with a little effort cbt can help cure you in a remarkably short period of time Laughing

take care and keep us posted Question

q
|

replied December 14th, 2003
Extremely eHealthy
Mark,

another thought is that rather than "anxiety" it's stress - the two are so similar that I often wonder where 1 begins & the other starts, especially when I don't know the person.

Whatever it is try the following: take a gentle 30 minute walk between 6 & 7 am every morning as there's something in the sun's rays (& yes it still works when it's overcast!! Or drizzling!!) that works on a chemical in our brains at that time of day to help reduce stress. Another stress reducer is tryptophan (found in lots of things, plain yoghurt, bananas, most nuts, pumpkin seeds, turkey etc) this helps balance the serotonin levels in our brain & so destress us.

Just realize that these things will take abit of time to work it's not like taking a pain killer & getting instant results.

Good luck
|

replied April 22nd, 2009
pins and needles in my feet and legs
I have the same problem. My doctor has put me on Zoloft because I have anxiety/panic attacks. It is a very stressful time in my life right now so that doesn't help matters either. I get the pins and needles in my feet and legs up to my knees. When I start to think about why it is happening I get stressed and within a few days they have moved up my body to my stomach. You walk around feeling like your limbs are not your own.

I am not sure what to do for this either. The Zoloft will take a few weeks to kick in but I don't feel like its doing anything at all. I have been on it for three weeks now.

Can anyone suggest anything else I could try.
|

replied May 18th, 2009
Serotonin Power diet book
There is an interesting book called the Serotonin Power diet. It was specifically written for weight loss. However, why can't those of us who struggle with anxiety also benefit? & we may get healthier as a side benefit too.
|

replied May 19th, 2009
This, a paramedic once told me (embarrasingly my boss called an ambulance when I was having a bad panic attack despite my protests - he was just really worried!) is an effect of hyperventilation. As well as becoming overoxidised when you overbreathe, your blood, ironically, takes on too much carbon monoxide. This can cause pins and needles, particularly in your extremities, tingling, numbness, or even make you hold your hands in a claw shape which is stiff to move!

It's not dangerous and, as your doctor says, is just stress.
|

replied July 18th, 2010
Anxiety, panic, worry, depression, lack of confidence, etc.
I have had all the symptoms of the anxiety, worries, panic, intrusive thinking, reading all kinds of help books, lack of confidece, no hope, etc, etc, etc. What has helped me and it is the first time something has helped is. I take 0.5mg Ativan 3 x day, and I went on the Serotonin Power Diet. All my symptoms seemed to be due to not enough serotonin. When you push yourself too hard, have a lot of stress for a long time, don't exercise, drink lots of coffee, smoke, do drugs, don't take care of yourself, THEN you get a depletion of serotonin which will cause all these symptoms. Sounds unbelieveable, but so true. Look up all the info on serotonin and then look up the Serotonin Power Diet and look at all the reviews. Thank you, Amaeta
|
Quick Reply