Medical Questions > Conditions and Diseases > Back Pain Forum

Anyone Had Pain W/epidural Lumbar Injection of Depo-medrol?

Must Read
Birth control is helpful in preventing pregnancy. Need to know more about birth control? Start here to learn more about popular methods of birth control....
You have many birth control options. Each works differently. What are the choices and what should you consider in order to help you make your decision? ...
Each method of birth control comes with risks to your health. What are the general problems you could encounter?...
Hi! I am looking for someone with this experience and advice on how long it will take to feel relief.

I had an injury on 1/5/05. I fell on both knees while twisting on concrete. Could barely walk until surgery on right knee 5/11 and left on 7/13. Back started hurting almost immediately after fall. Had mri which showed bulging disks between l3/l4 & l4/l5. Os said mri didn't show nerve compression although I am having severe shooting pains down left buttock and left leg intermittently. Sometimes to knee sometimes to toes. Sore to touch on buttocks and low back. Os said he wouldn't do surgery now, but would recommend another mri in 1 yr. To see where I am at on pain.

I had a lumbar epidural of depo-medrol 17 days ago. 95% say it doesn't hurt, well it only stung with numbing injection, a little discomfort w/contrast die injections and severe pain to toes on left with depo-medrol, which lasted about 2 minutes! Anaesthesiologist said it hurt because he injected it right next to nerve. Said should feel better in 4-5 days. If anything I feel worse. Right side was never hurting until today. Now both sides hurt. Am scheduled for another one on the 30th. Scared to death.
My mother-n-law had one 1 week after me and felt no pain, and instant relief.

I would appreciate anyones experiences or advice.

Thanks,

cindy
Did you find this post helpful?
|

replied March 22nd, 2009
Status now?
Just wondering how the last three years have gone.

I have annular tears, producing pain, paresthesia, sciatica in my arms and legs.

Doc tried a Medrol 4mg dose pack for 6 days. Made my symptoms worse. I will avoid the epidurals.

Any other treatments that have worked? Have you recovered or found relief? It has been almost a year since my accident, and I am desperate to find relief. I have had little improvement with all of the conservative treatements.
|

replied July 21st, 2013
Hi. Sorry haven't been on here in ages.Pain didn't go away until I had surgery on neck. Had 9 surgeries in 2 years all over body. For the neck....had to have a Cervical Discectomy with a cadaver bone placement and a metal bracket. I never did anymore shots! Wouldn't recommend them either. BUT I have severe Fibro and 3 other auto immune diseases. I think I feel severe pain where others don't. Have had 3-4 colonoscopies & wake-up screaming. Most don't. A blood pressure cuff kills me. etc. I am allergic to so many meds now. Never any before! Over 12 now. Almost all antibiotics. Dr.Says he has 2 he can prescribe! Had to have surgery on both knees(needed replaced but was only 44 and trying to wait until 55). Very hard. On SSDisability. Don't drive because I am on 19 meds. I am on the Fentanyl patch I change every 3 days for the rest of my life, muscle relaxers,anti-depressants,RLS meds, Lupus SLE meds, BP meds, Pain, DDD, DJD, Collagenous Colitis, Fibro, and on and on and on. Prognosis is poor. Can't fix anything but maybe the knees(which ironically started all of this). I pray a LOT. And have gotten closer to God. He helps more than anything and my family! So how are you now after 3 years?
|

replied March 28th, 2009
injections
my osteopath has said pain should improve in two weeks, but so far the pain is getting worse
|

replied July 21st, 2013
NEVER got another! How are you doing?
|