Medical Questions > Womens Health > Hysterectomy Forum

Sex After a Vaginal Hysterectomy

Must Read
Is ovarian cancer connected with ovarian cysts? What types of ovarian cancer do doctors diagnose? Get the basic facts on ovarian cancer here....
Some women are at higher risk of developing ovarian cancer. Who is in the highest risk group and what can you do to reduce risk of ovarian cancer?...
Ovarian cancer symptoms can be vague or caused by many other conditions. Learn what to look for and know when to seek help for ovarian cancer here....
It has been 2weeks since my vaginal hysterectomy. I know you can not have intercourse until 6wks afterward, but what about oral sex??? My dr has not said anything about it & I am to embarrassed to ask!!!
Did you find this post helpful?
First Helper fatfamily02
|

replied November 27th, 2005
Dr. Said no sex! That would mean oral too. Oral sex can cause a major infection since you aren't completely healed up. You have open cuts inside. I felt real good after the first 2-3 weeks. That is probably why you are feeling like having sex. The next couple of weeks the surgery will catch up with you and you will feel like crap. I have been very careful and still ended up with a uti (bladder infection) and an infection in my incision plus the antibiotics caused a yeast infection which I am battling now. Believe me, back in the hospital because of infection is not my idea of a vacation.
|

replied November 27th, 2005
Extremely eHealthy
Yes I would think oral sex would be worse than the real thing. The mouth is so dirty on humans. I agree 6 week --is 6 weeks--either way. Right?
|

replied December 13th, 2005
You really need to wait the 6 weeks. Believe me it is worth it. Sex with no worries of bleeding. You partner will have all month to perform oral sex without the bleeding interrupting it. My man loves to perform and no he can just about every day when I feel up to it.
|

replied January 5th, 2006
Oral
Dr said wait so you do that,the mouth is full of germs . Wait till you post natal check up to make sure you all heald up. Ive had an hysterectomy a year and half ago ,so I know how you feel ok
|

replied May 11th, 2009
sex after vag hyst
Get the first time out of the way. it will feel tight but hopefully enjoyable. Have patience, when you know that your man has waited for this long it can be difficult but sex is part of a loving relationship. take it slow!!
|

replied May 11th, 2009
Community Volunteer
They say six weeks...We just about made it... I had stopped bleeding and we took it easy...

Caroline
|

replied September 1st, 2013
My better half suffered a lot, she requested a total rest for 6 months, I am obliging it, though I have uncontrollable emotion and desire. So please my dear brothers try to understand the depth of internal wounds both physically and spiritually
|

replied July 7th, 2009
Need Hysterectomy help!
I also was told I need a hysterectomy..possibly my ovaries too, due to prolapse and endometriosis. I believe I also need a rectocele..constipation and needing to push between vag. and rectum with toilet paper to have a bm. I'm 50 and am very scared!Dr. said he would do it vag. with the help of a laprascope(?). anyways I have a question about sex. I am scared that without uterus contractions it will be hard to have a orgasm or it will not feel the same. Could you please tell me your experiences.Also how long is the procedure and hospital stay for a total hyst.with cystocele and rectocele. Thanks to all of you we have someone to talk to!!! P.s. does your tummy seem a little flatter?
|

replied July 7th, 2009
Community Volunteer
I can't fill in all the information, but I will add a few things...First, get a good doctor...A real qualified OB-GYN or Urogynecologist who is into this type of surgery...Forget about the sex thing...I have been without mine and my ovaries since age 47...Believe me I have had the time of my life and am still going strong...Sex is in your mind...Your body takes over from there...

I can't tell you how long you will be in the hospital and the procedure...I can only speak about my stay....This was a while back...I can tell you this, take your time healing...Don't rush it...Rest is the best thing that you can get....

Nope, about the stomach flatter...Things really don't change...Not to worry...

Best wishes,
Caroline
|

replied July 8th, 2009
Hi Caroline,thank you so much for your post...I really appreciate it! I've have had two OB/GYNs tell me the same thing and I have a Urologist appointment July 17th for testing.Did you take any hormones after the surgery? Personally they scare me and my family history isn't too good. My husband has some vacation time...how long do u think I will need him home before I can get around myself? it will be a vag hyst. w/ laproscope) Thanks Caroline!!!!!!!
|

replied July 8th, 2009
Community Volunteer
Hi Angel2beone: I was put on Premarin for quite a few years...They said I went through immediate Menopause, as I had my ovaries out...If I did, I never knew it...I am now off Premarin and only use Estring..This is a vaginal disc that I insert high in my vagina every three months...It feeds my vagina estroil and keeps me juicy...Hits my g-spot, vaginal canal and sometimes I swear my clit...Never interfers with sex or love making in the slightest...

From what I can understand, your surgery will determine upon the time that you spend in the hospital...You may come home the same day...I guess as far as your husband being home, again this depends upon how you feel...Don't lift anything and take it easy...I would think at least a few days, but this must be determined by your doctor...

Honey, any questions just drop me a line...You can also private message me at any time now or in the future...

Good luck....You will do just great...

Caroline
|

replied September 4th, 2011
post vaginal hysterectomy Pain
I am 6 years post Vaginal Hysterectomy and I have alot of pain during sexual intercourse. It has really started to hurt my marriage. I am only 34 years old and do not want to go the rest of my life without sex. I just want to know what could be causing the pain.
|

replied September 4th, 2012
Post surgery help
Ladies, sorry don't mean to intrude but I am here because my wife had a vaginal hysterectomy 3 years ago now and it is straining our marriage to the breaking point. They left in one ovary but I think it only works off & on. Extreme mood swings that Harmone pills don't seam to help. Our sex life is now horrible but before the surgery it was great. She says she has lost sensitivity and can't feel me, talk about a real confidence crusher, yet to me her vagina has grown teeth. We have tried lubricants, toys and every thing I can think of. Help, I love my wife very much and sex is a very important part of any marriage. What can we do?
|

replied July 21st, 2013
hysterectomy after surgery
Your wifes vagina grew teeth? Wow maybe you know you better get her to a good Dr. Maybe her labido is not correct.... get her help.. I just am 7 weeks post op I can't figure out y I have pain n still spot when others say it only lasts 2*4 weeks.. I don't have a man so I'm in trouble cuz I am afraid to have sex as I had 2 bladder infections n a cath to tag Omg home cuz I was over sedated lol yet was told that's normal ... I never been narcaned.. its scary.... plus my Dr. Released me in 1 month n 10 days to do everything . I hurt when she checked me bad she said sorry but I'm healing great..then y the spotting n pain? No one will touch you after a surgeon left you with issues .you have to go back to that surgeon.. I'm lost...
|

replied November 6th, 2013
I feel very lucky
Wow sorry to hear about the problems that women have had. I am now 2 weeks post-op. I was in excruciating pain for almost 2 years prior to surgery and also had a 7 month period that was heavy with clots (huge). Anyway, I had everything removed - I am 47. Today I began taking 1mg of estrogen, which is less than is in BC pills. (I was having hot flashes, night sweats, mood swings) I have to say the surgery is the best thing I have done. I actually feel better today than I did prior to my surgery - even with all of the post surgical restrictions and the pain - which was not bad at all. I am fairly restricted for 8 weeks. I love my doctor and feel very lucky to have been referred to him he is straightforward doesn't beat around the bush and is also conservative. I would rather be safe than sorry. However, since I am feeling so well, the idea of sex with my husband has really been weighing on my mind. I can not imagine waiting 8 weeks, but don't really see a way around it.
|