Medical Questions > Conditions and Diseases > Gallbladder Disease Forum

Recouperation Time After Gallbladder Surgery? (Page 1)

Must Read
Are you suffering from gallbladder pain? We describe the location and function of the gallbladder to target possible problems....
When do you need to see a doctor about possible gallbladder problems? Learn to distinguish signs and symptoms of gallbladder disease to take action before it's...
Gallstones are the most frequent cause of an inflamed gallbladder. Know the common symptoms of gallstones or gallstone attack....
I had my gallbladder out last friday. I was admitted overnight due to extreme pain that could not be controlled (even after throwing up bile and getting rid of some of the gas). Came home late saturday and have been in alot of pain since then. Have trouble sitting up for any period of time and if I miss a dose of percoset then the pain is intense. How long does it take to recover and for the pain to lessen? I can eat soft foods like pasta or cream of wheat but am having trouble eating regularly and find that in the evening I am not inclined to eat at all. I am running a lowgrade fever - 99.7 most days. One of my incisions is alittle red/irritated but not truly infected looking so I don't think that's it.

If you have had laparascopic gallbladder surgery please tell me what your experience was.

Thanks!

Meg
First Helper User Profile Anonymous
|

replied September 16th, 2005
Anonymous
Please Help!
Please help - share your experiences!

Thanks

meg
|

I had laparoscopic surgery in march and I don't remember having that much pain that I would need to take percoset for. I do remember having some pretty bad nausea the couple days following surgery that I took some gravol for. The surgeon suggested drinking lots of water because it was from the anesthesia. The first 2-3 days will be the worse pain-wise. Each day the pain should be less and less. By the end of a week I was able to walk around comfotably. If you are finding the pain getting worse and needing more percoset then I would go back to the hospital. Also you shouldn't be running a fever either. That is an indication that their might be an infection.
|
Did you find this post helpful?

User Profile
Experienced User
It took me about 2 -3 weeks before I could get arround comfortably. You should not be worried about getting arround. You should be sleeping and getting better. It was 3 months before I didn't feel the incisions anymore. One is still sensative.

I pray you have a speedier recovery than I did.
|

replied September 18th, 2005
Hang in there... I promise it will get better... :) I hurt awfully bad... And i've had two c-secs and a hyster.... Bandaid surgery my butt! Hahahaah I carried around a pillow everywhere I went...And slept with it over my tummy. I never took my temp but know that I was running a low grade cause I can just tell. I was still wanting to walk like a turtle at two weeks post op... Try and stand up straight... I know it's hard but take some deep breaths... It's diff for everyone... Some I know had very little pain and needed nothing for pain... I popped vicodin and codeine like it was candy... I switched off, but found the vicodin worked better.

Don't do too much and expect too much too soon... I think a lot depends on how much pokin and prodding the doc had to do to get the silly little organ out! My upper incision and bellybutton one were about an inch and a half wide... My gyn had a fit and wondered why they were so big... Haha I said I dunno but it sure hurt! He said well yahhhhh!!!

Take it a day at a time... It will get better!!! Really :o and keep your bowels workin... That helps... I stopped up bad after surgery... I had mine out last march and i'm just now getting properly working bowels! No bile squirts for me! Totally the opposite! Lol :shock:
|

replied September 19th, 2005
Anonymous
Thanks everyone!

I am better but still have the low grade fever and pain. I had a night full of diarrhea too.

I go back to the surgeon on wednesday and find out when he is going to do the full open abdominal surgery to remove the adhesions I have around my small intestines. I had so many that he couldn't take them out laparascopically. Anyways that could be the source of all the pain.

For anyone having your gallbladder out - don't believe them when they say 2-3 days post op you'll be as good as new. I am over a week now and barely walking or moving around without pain meds.

Meg
|

User Profile
Experienced User
I know what you mean..... It was 3 years ago june and I still have diarreah (sp?). I developed what they call "dumping syndrome". I never knew I had stones until I was rushed to emergency with severe abdominal pain. Found out my gallbladder was about to rupture. I had never has any symptoms prior (except terriable acid reflux). I think I am worse off now even 3 years later.... I still can't eat corn on the cob and you can forget hot wings.... Even a salad can sometimes make me sick...
|

Hello I just got back home from 5 days in the hospital from the laparascopic gall bladder removal. It is not as easy as they say. After the surgery the first 3 days I was so sick I could not even stand up or eat for 3 days. I think mosty the drug they give you to knock you out makes you sick. My face was all puffed up. I am 44 so I am not to young anymore. Also by the 3 day the first time I got up and walked around a little and eaten some toast about 1 hour later I got hit really bad with a trapped air or gas attack. It felt like mike tyson punched me in the chest and I got hit in the shoulder with a base ball bat. This lasted about 10 mins but was really bad. Since after that first gas attack I am getting more but not as bad. Now after 5 days I still feel a little sick with some gas pain. I never had a gall stone stuck in my bile duck or a inflammed gall bladder. And the hcan scan test showed by gall bladder to working good. But for a year before my surgery I had such bad gas pain in my stomach upper middle chest area. The gastro doctors could not find everything wrong. But they did find that I had many gall stones. Even the surgerns told me removal of my gall bladder might not fix my problem. But they said the amount of gall stones I had was a time bomb waiting to go off.
|

replied October 14th, 2005
Anonymous
Laproscopic Gallbladder Surgery-dumping Syndrome
I think i'm one of the very lucky ones. My ultrasound showed large stones, and i've been having attacks over the past 4 years, steadily increasing in duration, intensity and frequency. My surgery was last wednesday...By friday evening I was having a steak and a salad with bleu cheese dressing with no problems. I only took my lortab (a bit stronger than extra strength tylenol) for two days. My staples were taken out yesterday. That stung a bit. However, i'm a little concerned about the dumping syndrome thing. From what I hear, it starts about a week to three weeks after surgery. So far, i've pretty much eaten anything I wanted. Anyone have any more information about that??
|

replied October 14th, 2005
Some people never get it, however I was not that lucky. Pretty much anything with a higher fat content and anything that is high in fiber (salads, peas) will cause a severe reaction with your bowels. Severe cramping and constant diareah.

Not fun at all. Although there is a medecine that they use for people with high cholesterol called questrine that is a suspension powder that you mix with water and that works pretty well. It binds to the bile and makes you a little more regular. One of the few times constipation as a side effect is a good thing.
|

replied October 28th, 2005
Anonymous
Severe Pain Post Op
Hi everyone,
I had my laproscopic cholecystectomy of the gallbladder a week ago (10/21/05). I was very sick coming out of the surgery which according to the doctor only took a half and hour. Despite that, I went home the same day and slept for nearly 24 hours. 2nd and 3rd day I felt like I had been hit by a semi but managed the pain ok with just advil. Now at nearly a week later I am having very intense pain under the ribs on the right side every evening (milder during the day). It lasts several hours then subsides. During the "attacks" the pain is so intense it is hard to even take more than shallow breaths.
Has anyone experienced anything similiar? I have read some scary stuff on another forum. At this point I was expecting to feel better not worse. My previous gallbladder attacks weren't even this bad.
I would be happy to hear from anyone who has gone through the same!
Bz
|

replied November 11th, 2011
I don't see any responses to your problem, I know it was years ago so maybe you don't remember but... Your message sounds JUST LIKE what I'm going through, I was wondering if you ever figured out what it was or any tips on making it hurt less? Any help would be GREATLY appreciated... I'm at 8 days post surgery by the way...
|

replied January 30th, 2012
Dumping Syndrome ; Fructose Malabsorbtion ; Low Fodmap Foods
Same situation here. Go to Mayo Clinic.com, look up dumping syndrome. Now look up fructose malabsorbtion. This is what is happening now to me. I have gone to a LOW FODMAP diet, no gluten, no wheat products at all; I have to avoid fruits and veggies AND gluten now to manage my symptoms.

When I eat right I feel great, first time in a decade to get relief, and feel like my old self again and I had tried every med they threw at me, multilple pointless tests, no answers.

I figured the diet out on my own after MUCH research. Avoid especially garlic, onions, mushrooms, cabbage family veggies, apples, pears, berries, go lactose free on the milk, eat only real butter, no soft cheeses, only hard ones... rice products for breads and crackers; basically, try to stick to meats, potatoes and eggs for one week; then start adding in a food from the safe fodmap list every few days to test for symptoms.

Do the elimination diet first, you will be well within days; That'll be 220,000 dollars now; thats what all this has cost me in medical expense, loss of job, loss of home...dont let it happen to you; the doctors will keep you on drugs and sick, as it pays very well.

Low FODMAP... A simple hydrogen breath test will confirm...of course I have not been back to the doctor, since the diet, I am well, the bastardos make me worse every time; Thyroid and parathyroid disease resulted after ten years of chronic malaborbtion and IBS, ..dont let it happen to you. Keep your gut healthy or more disease will result. If you belch often, you are not doing it right, same with sweating, hot flashes, tingling extremeties, muscle spasms. The abdominal spasms, in which were near my heart, even hospitalized for a full heart work up; turned out to be from trapped gases in the intestines... disabling pain, feels like a heart attack, drawing knees up and pressing in right where it is spasming helps most during the event... avoid the event by controlling what you eat, sounds simple, it is a daunting task, all labels must be read for hidden gluten, hidden garlic, onions, many seasonings have gluten based addititves to keep it from clumping... beware. You must be dilligent in reading everything for a while until you figure out your safe foods and personal care products. I wish there were a pill for that...but fact is, pills are made with many types of gluten fillers, and will make it even worse; so if you seem to have every adverse effect listed for the drug, now you know why. I detoxed from ALL prescriptions years ago, even before I went gluten free and low fodmap. Still learning all the time.

Take care now. Good luck, be strong; best advice is to clean out the pantry and fridge of all gluten products and high fodmaps before you start the elimination diet, do NOT eat out during the elimation phase, NEVER eat fast or processed foods, they are all laden with them.... avoid them like the plague. www.celiac.com has everything you need to know about gluten and its 150+ names of different chemicals it is in, no the label just wont say gluten, it will say;;;;modified food startch, or words Ive never heard of... thats what makes it hard. Support group on Yahoo; Fructose Malabsorbtion of Australlia is a good one. Wiki Fructose Malabsorbtion, this is what is happening with dumping syndrome. Here is a chart for the fridge; beware though, in the first week eat no more than a 1/2 banana on the safe fruit list; I cannot even tolerate the safe ones, its different for everyone, but this will get you going in the right direction. As your gut heals, your symptoms will come on quicker and you will KNOW quickly if you can eat this or that. http://www.ibsgroup.org/brochures/fodmap-i ntolerances.pdf

take care in your soaps, shampoos, toothpaste, lotion, anything that goes on the skin or in the mouth. Food coloring is made from gluten...so even that will sicken me, as in colored dish deteregent. Avoid wheat germ oils in shampoos... that took me a while to figure out as well...hell even my Crest toothpaste made me sick...burning skin and mouth for a week after stopping it!!
|

replied October 29th, 2005
Bz it can take a while for things to settle down. I am just over 3 weeks post surgery & still have a little discomfort around my scar area & under my right ribs. The surgeon said to me 'just because its been done laparascopically, you are still having the same operation & will therefor still get the same internal pain/discomfort'. Continue with pain meds & I am sure it will improve. However, if you get a fever or the pain gets any worse, then contact your surgeon or family dr asap
|

replied October 31st, 2005
Anonymous
Re: Severe Pain Post Op
I had a laparoscopic cholecystectomy in july and the only real pain (apart from the discomfort that lets you know someone was poking and prodding around in there) was in my ribs on the right hand side. The surgeon told me that apparently my gallbladder was very much more inflamed than he had thought and it took him a longer to remove it as it was pushing right up against my liver! He did say my ribs would be sore and that it would be the last pain to go away. I felt I had been punched in the ribs and held my breath when talking - especially when I was standing up. As the surgeon was concerned that the sacs in my lungs wouldn't be filling out properly as I was holding my breath half of the time, I was given a mediflo duo to use which really did help. To explain what this is, it's a piece of clear plastic flexible hose with a plastic container joined at the end and inside this is a pink ball which looks like a ping pong ball. You exhale and then inhale through the tube and there are lines along the container and you have to get the ball between the lines. This forces the lung sacs to open - it does hurt at the start but the more you do it the easier it gets and believe me it really does work. It took about 10 days after the operation before the pain had completely gone, however I made a big mistake - went to the local supermarket and was pushing the trolley round and was fine until I got home and the pain started again. Used the mediflo for a couple of days and the pain disappeared.

Hope this helps.
|

replied November 3rd, 2005
I had my gallbladder removed last thurs after 3 months of agonising attacks that didn't just last hours they lasted days,i couldn't eat anything at all,now I think i'm too scared to eat because of how ill food made me,is that normal? I obviosly had an infected gallbladder as my surgeon told me he had to make a bigger incision than normal but thankfully he didn't change from laprascopic but I can't understand why I am in so much pain lower down approximately a hand width under the rib is worse than anywhere I know he said he had a look around as I have had many previous surgeries but I feel like i've been battered internally,i have done a lot of google searches on after effects and a lot of them say most people suffer from diarreah(cant spell it lol) I suffer from diverticulitis so i'm hoping this isn't the case,i know people differ recovering from surgery but how long is the pain going to annoy me it's nowhere near as bad as the pain I had before surgery but I just want to get up and go and at the moment I cant. I also now have a chest infection which is a bugger because I really don't want to be coughing because that really hurts
|

replied November 3rd, 2005
Looby- I am sure your pain is where the surgeon has prodded & poked about inside. I am still a little sore & I had surgery on 6th october. If it gets worse, or you develop a fever, then contact your family Dr. I was scared to eat anything too much to start with, but I am sure if you try little bits of different food, you'll be fine. I havent suffered from diarrhea at all & I am 4wks post surgery now. I had a very bad chest after the operation & the chest physio almost didnt let me out of hospital:(. She told me I must keep moving/walking around, take deep breaths & hold every few minutes, to expand my lungs fully, as I was not breathing in fully cos it hurt too much! I did find a good trick to help with coughing .Hold a pillow tight round your right hand side & right ribs, then try a gentle few coughs. At the same time with your left hand, bang on your chest (like they do with children with cystic fybrosis) and this seemed to loosen the phlegm, which I was then able to cough up.
|

replied November 4th, 2005
Thankyou for your advice it certainly is easier ,i had steri strips instead of stitches or glue (i was shocked) well had them removed today and had to have 2 of them put back on as wounds were not closed properly but thankfully the nurse put on the clear plastic stuff so I can have a bath as when I left the hospital they only put plasters on which meant I couldn't have a bath properly :roll: I also spoke about still being uncomfortable and although docs say it is easier to get over the op havin it done keyhole she said it doesn't really make that much difference as it is still a major op it's just easier to move as the scar isn't as big so I can stop worrying that I cant do a lot of things still and to make the most of resting while I can lol I have 3 children so I can see her point.
|

replied November 7th, 2005
Anonymous
Gall Bladder Surgery
I guess I am certainly one of the lucky ones. I had my gall bladder removed on 10/27 ( a thursday). I was uncomfortable for a few days, but I was back at work on monday. Granted, I still take it easy. I have yet to find something besides jello, that doesn't make me sick though. But, I have at least lost weight!!! I do have sharp pains in the upper right quandrant that can be very uncomfortable, but they come and go. I go back for my check up next week. If I am still having eating problems, they will look at options.
|

replied November 19th, 2005
Gallbladder Surgery
anonymous wrote:
bz it can take a while for things to settle down. I am just over 3 weeks post surgery & still have a little discomfort around my scar area & under my right ribs. The surgeon said to me 'just because its been done laparascopically, you are still having the same operation & will therefor still get the same internal pain/discomfort'. Continue with pain meds & I am sure it will improve. However, if you get a fever or the pain gets any worse, then contact your surgeon or family dr asap

i had gallbladder surgery on nov. 8th and was released from the hospital the next day. I'm still having a lot of pain. Although I didn't have any fever the incision right below my belly button got infected so i'm taking antibiotics for that. Bz..If you're running a temp you definitely need to call your surgeon asap.
|

replied November 29th, 2005
Anonymous
Pain After Surgery
Hi I had my gallbladder removed on nov 21 I go today to have the staples removed. They did it lap but my incision at my belly button is 3 inches and I stay in pain all the time. The dr said I had multiple adhesions from my past 3 c-sections and a hysterectomy and ovary removal all those abdominal. I can't seem to get them to understand that I hurt bad. If I take a deep breathe it hurts if I turn it hurts my dad keeps telling me I should go back to work so I tried it but had to come home (my job is 911 dispatcher so is not very physical) . I don't want to go through surgery again but before I had this surgery my family dr was talking about adhesions and my intestines because she thought they may be causing a blockage because I have severe constipation. Even after this surgery I do not go normal for me anybody got any suggestions on pain relief I have been eating vicodine like candy but only have 2 more left and they are for dr's app so the staple removal won't be so bad (18 total) my surgeon doesn't like to give pain meds and probably won't give me anymore so I need some ideas to help.

Shortstuff
|

replied November 30th, 2005
I would discuss the pain with your dr but its still fairly soon after surgery. You shouldnt rush back to work if you are still in pain. Its only just over a week & you will probably still need pain meds. Speak to your dr when you have the staples removed!
|