Medical Questions > Pregnancy Forum > Pregnancy Forum

Colpscopy With Biopsy Lead to Miscarriage?

Must Read
What happens during labor? What do contractions feel like? And how do I know that labor has begun? Read on to learn about birthing basics....
Signs of labor occur after 36 weeks of pregnancy. Learn about the difference between real and false contractions. Plus, we outline signs of delivery complicati...
Almost all women worry about the pain of childbirth. Preparing for childbirth includes thinking about how you'd like to cope with the pain of labor. Read on for...
Hi, I am trying to ask others advice. Wife was 11 weeks pregant and had fetal heart tone on 6 sep, 7 sep, she was called in for an abnormal pap smear so they wanted to do a copyscopy and then did a biopsy of the cervix for further testing. That night, she miscarried and we lost our baby. Is this normal for the doctors to do a biopsy to the cervix during first trimester or any time during a pregnancy?

Thanks
Did you find this post helpful?
|

replied September 14th, 2005
Experienced User
I never had one during my first 3 pregnancys but I had a pap my last one. After my second I wa diagnosed with cervixcal cancer but they cut it out and I was done. As for while I was pregnant my doctor was a bit concerned about it being abnormal. But she didn't even ask me to do another she said just wait til you have the baby and we will look again. Your body changes during a pregnancy.

I don't think that a biopsy should have been preformed while she was pregnent. As for her miscarrying after I think that is not right. If the doctor did it right she would not have miscarried. If it is a risk they should have told you right off the bat I think that is wrong and I think the docter accedently aborted your child. I would look into it more theres lots of websites that could tell you and if your still concerned call another doctor. Hospital and a lawyer.

I'm sorry about the loss of your baby. I hope all works out for you and yours.
|

Experienced User
A patient should inform her physician if she is or might be pregnant because special precautions may be taken if a cervical biopsy is performed during pregnancy.

|

Experienced User
ginacod wrote:
a patient should inform her physician if she is or might be pregnant because special precautions may be taken if a cervical biopsy is performed during pregnancy.

i am pretty sure it would be her obgyn that gave her the pap and recommended the biopsy, so they doctor would of already known she was pregnant.

It just doesn't sound right to me. I will try to look more into it, but I wouldnt be surprised if she miscarried because of the biopsy.
|

replied September 15th, 2005
I had a colposcopy in my first trimester but I int need a biopsy so I dont really know.The colposcopy didnt cause it tho.I dont know about the biopsy however
|

Active User, very eHealthy
Dr
I am sorry that you all had to go threw this. I dont really know if that is normal or not. I had a pap done alot in my first trimester but it didnt hurt me or the baby. So I dont really know what to tell you. What do the drs say about this?
|

Hi,

thanks for the responses. Of course, the doctor, after learning of the miscarriage the following day, states, well you probably would have miscarried regardless. I have called a few other ob/gyn clinics and they stated they don't do "biopsy" portion of the colpscopy, just the scope work until after baby is born. I truly believe even the small "snip" of the cervix, sent the cervix into spasms causing the uterus to miscarriage. I have a call into a few lawyers simply asking the question , do we have a case?
Thoughts?

Major
|

Active User, very eHealthy
Yes!!!!!
Oh yes defintly. Actually I ask my ob about that and he said no they dont do that bc that could cause a person to miscarry. I am sorry for your lose and I hope you make that dr pay. I will be praying for you and your family.
|

replied November 9th, 2005
Extremely eHealthy
Ive had it all done because my pap came back abnormal and my baby is fine.

I'm 6 months today?

I have to have it at 30 weeks again aswell....
|

replied April 10th, 2012
colposcopy biopsy miscarriage
Now did you just have the colposcopy done or a biopsy because its not the colposcopy (just having your cervix looked at under a microscope) that harms the baby its the biopsy (snipping a sample of your cervix) that does
|

replied May 1st, 2012
I know the original post is old but I felt the need to respond regardless. I am currently 14weeks pregnant at about 11-12 weeks my obgyn said I need to have a colposcopy done due to an abnormal pap. She specifically told me they do NOT perform biopsies on pregnant women. She simply looked inside my cervix. She informed me that after my pregnancy if things were still abnormal then she might do one but NEVER During pregnancy would she perform a biopsy. I suggest you talk to her obgyn because that sounds like an issue to me. Sorry about your loss.
|