Medical Questions > Mental Health > Anxiety and Stress Forum

Anxiety First Thing When I Wake Up. (Page 1)

Must Read
Learn how doctors clinically diagnose one of twelve kinds of anxiety disorders...and which doctors you should see for an anxiety diagnosis....
Anxiety disorders can affect anyone. But do you know the common signs and symptoms of anxiety disorders? Learn more now....
Anxiety is a normal, healthy emotion when experienced during specific moments. But do you know the signs that anxiety has gotten out of control? Read more here...
It seems lately that every morning when I wake up I automatically feel anxious. I dont even know why. I dont have anything to be really anxious over. I wake up and just have this awful feeling like im on the edge of panic. After I get up for a while I calm down quite a bit. Does anyone else have this or anything similar? What in the world could be causing this?

Tia
Did you find this post helpful?
First Helper sadnanxious
|

replied September 14th, 2005
Experienced User
I get this too,
i think it's because i'm anxious about having to spend another day
being anxious if you know what I mean...
|

replied March 27th, 2011
ANXIOUS AND SCARED. READY TO BE HAPPY AGAIN
i WAKE UP EVERY MORNING ALSO BEING EXTREMELY ANXIOUS. I HAVE REASONS WHY BUT IM ON MEDICATION FOR IT AND ALL IT DOES IS MAKE ME MORE ANXIOUS. ITS THE WORST FEELING. I TOTALLY AGREE WITH DELANCEY. IM ANXIOUS ABOUT HAVING TO SPEND ANOTHER DAY FEELING ANXIOUS. N I AM ALWAYS LOOKING FORWARD TO GOING BACK TO SLEEP. FIRST OFF I HAVE ALOT OF TROUBLE FALLING ASLEEP WITHOUT EVERY WORRY RUNNING THRU MY MIND, N WHEN I FINALLY FALL ASLEEP, NE KIND OF NOISE WAKES ME AND I CAN NOT GO BACK TO SLEEP N THE ANXIETY KICKS IN. IT SCARES ME. I BROUGHT MY KIDS SKATING A COUPLE DAYS AGO AND HAD THE WORST SOCIAL ANXIETY. MY HEART WAS RACING SO FAST AND I WAS SHAKING N HAD A SICK FEELING TO MY STOMACH. I HAVE LOST 10 LBS IN 2 WEEKS. I WANT MORE HELP. IM ALONE ON THIS. I HAVE NO FRIENDS. THIS IS NOT LIKE ME. I WISH THIS FEELING UPON NO ONE. I CAN NOT WAIT FOR THAT DAY THAT I AM HAPPY AGAIN.
|

replied October 20th, 2011
you are not alone...i suffered from Anxiety for over 20 yrs and had the same feelings and being scared of facing another day with the same anxious feelings. Just like you i was wondering if i would ever have a normal day..It took several doctors and the right meds to finally get back to normal.The meds that worked best for me were Buspar.Ask you doctor about it.
I no longer take any med,still have occasionl Anxiety but seem to not panic any more.
I feel in love with the sound of the native american flute and bought my self one and playing it .It is very soothing and relaxing for me and i think it has helped me a lot. I hope this is of some help and i just want to let you know that things will get better,dont give up Ok many blessings to you
|

This post is being reviewed to be sure that it adheres to our Community Guidelines.
Thanks for your patience!

replied September 14th, 2005
Experienced User
Yeah I guess maybe we are just anxious about being anxious. It sure does suck though. I am going to the doctor tomarro and I am going to ask about zolof because I heard that it works well for anxiety. I guess we will see. I will keep everyone posted. For now I am living on ativan.

Tia
|

replied September 19th, 2005
Waking up anxious could be your mind's way of telling you there is something you need to change in your life.
Take some time and brainstorm. By that I mean, just sit there and think about all that's going on in your life right now. Let the thoughts just come. Somewhere along the line some thought will pop up that gives you a bit of a jolt. That will be a good place to start.
See what improving that little piece will do and then see if your anxiety improves.
|

replied October 3rd, 2005
I agree with kd but its hard to see whats wrong in your life sometimes. It might be helpful to get into therepy, to work out these issues. Sometimes its hard to see the forest for the trees.

I also have this feeling a lot. A lot of times I don't even know why I feel nervous, and that freaks me out. Sometimes crying helps me, it lets it all out.
|

replied November 7th, 2006
I have this problem right now. I used to have it when my ex and I lived together but after we broke up it went away. Well it is back now. Can a person, just thinking about them stress you out? Even subconsiously?

In response to the above help, there are certianly things I need to change in my life, and I am working toward those one day at a time, but this morning stress (nausia) is very uncomfortable...
|

replied November 7th, 2006
Also, to the one that is considering zoloft. All I can say is that it didn't work for me too well. I took myself off of it becasue of how numb and apathetic I was. It was like a walking coma.
|

replied December 31st, 2008
Anxiety
For years I have woken every single night (around 2-3pm) with non-specific anxiety. I have never truly understood these feelings. They cause me to feel a huge lack of peace with my life - even if everything is going well. Recently, I became pregnant. This was planned, but I have always struggled with the decision to have a child. It has never been something I just knew I was going to do - I have always feared having a child and taking on the responsibilities and losing myself in the process. I have not taken the decision lightly and am trying to be joyful and enjoy the experience. It is a struggle - I am so scared. To make matters more challenging, I find that these nightly wakenings are now amplifying my fears of having this child. I cannot get peaceful about it. Today I took a nap and found that I woke up so filled with anxiety about being pregnant, that I couldn't sit still. It is causing me to doubt things and I cannot find peace. I do not want to take medication (tried it once and hated how it made me feel). I was wondering if anyone else had advice or similar experiences?
|

replied January 9th, 2009
anxiety
i get it to really bad my mornings are the worst. you need to speak to a doctor about going onto med. Zoloft didn't work for me but it may for you. There are so many different SSRI's and SNRI's out there, they will find the best one for you. good luck
|

User Profile
replied January 9th, 2009
wake up call...LOL
me also... when i woke up each morning i felt like someone is robbing my life... i thought it was the only one who feels this way in the morning... and also im working on it the natural way...maybe because we suddenly realize the true meaning of life... and we are the extreme beings who think ideally...i try to look up to more positive air and move on... and thank God for giving me as well as my family a brand new day each morning... btw im nearly 23 yrs of age and also nearly to be a dad on FEB... my tip to you guys... try to treasure each day you woke up and thank God for this present... just like the kungfu panda turtle says... yesterday is HISTORY... tomorrow is a MYSTERY... today is a gift that's why its called PRESENT... Good luck to you guys... GOD BLESS YOU
|

replied June 14th, 2009
Anxiety
Im so tired, yet i sleep only 3 hours and my eyes pop open , i become anxious and feel that i am alone and going crazy and i will die. I am fortunate to have a blood pressure machine and usually than my BP is up quite high. I eat peanut butter and honey, and than the anxiety subsides. I personally from suffering years and years with this anxiety and realize it is a low sugar symptom. Also, I do have thyroid disease . Its not easy and it is depressing , but hey...just think back when we were children and so care free....we had the best sleeps and the best wakeups.....
|

replied June 16th, 2009
I have the same problem. In fact, I dread going to bed because of the way I know I will feel in the morning. I feel nauseous, anxious, and hate feeling that way. Zsuzsa, how did you figure out this was due to your thyroid and low sugar? I have also wondered if that is my problem too. I tried prozac a couple of weeks ago and it actually made the problem worse, and I have no appetite so my blood sugar is low. I'm wondering if the prozac affected my blood sugar levels in a bad way.
|

replied June 18th, 2009
i am experimenting on myself and this anxiety and dizziness in the morning,
#1 - i have a blood pressure monitor and notice that when i wake up anxious my blood pressure is up.
#2.- i also notice my sugar level is low.

So, every night. I make a peanut butter toast with banannasa on top of it.
As soon as my eyes open, i know what will happen so I drink a big swig of water and eat my toast so i dont have to get up and walk and fall or whatever.

I also notice that shortly after "morning washroom break", the BP goes back to normal, anxiety is decreased.

Now, I must say that they checked my thyroid years ago due to severe anxiety. The doctors thought i was crazy and should be put on prozac. Meanwhile, i didnt give up. I went to toronto, which is a way bigger and intellectual city other than London ontario, and the misdiagnosis i recieved. A toronto Cardiologist found a lump near my throat/neck.
He took a more educated approach and had me do a 123 nucelar iodine test. BINGO. There was a golf sized thyroid benign tumor.
ALL the other doctors in london and area said " you require paxil or prozac".....
interesting..and the blood work for my thyroid was NORMAL.
Blood tests are far from accurate. They are a daily conclusion at that "time" and can give a false positive or vice versa.

GO with your gut feeling.....
|

replied July 22nd, 2009
Sleep anxiety
OK I thought I was the only one and going crazy. I too get anxious every morning when I wake up or even when I take a nap. I think I am anticipating it in the morning so it is there to great me. I am going to try some cognitive behavior to lessen. Some days its worse and some days its ok. My doctor researched this for me and found that anxiety can happen like this. He once thought that I wasn't sleeping enough, but he read that some people get it when they sleep.
|

replied October 15th, 2009
morning stressssssss
Wow mee to first thing in the morning is the worst time !~!!! so stressful!!!... its affecting my job i can only work 4 days a week and even when i do 4 days i most often call in sick one of them. Sad .. i feel like im going crazy.. and no one around me seems to understand .. they all want me to go on meds??..i dont want to!!.. i just want to wake up and life happy and normal!!
|

replied November 11th, 2009
night terrors and anxiety
Wow,this is so crazy....I really cant believe that all your guys' testimonies are so similiar to my own life! I have these heart racing attacks in the morning and when i go to sleep.I dread sleep at night.In fact,i dread nightime knowing it's getting close to going to bed,i'm so scared!!I am so sleepy when i fall asleep and next thing you know only an hour has passed before i wake up stratled at nothing but the pounding of my heart!This happens 2-3 times a night!I too have had tests done stating my heart is great and have no thyroid issues,but i also have a blood pressure machine that i have that reads high when i "think" i feel sick or i am having an episode.More times during the day than not,my blood pressure is really high!All stress induced.Most days i feel like i'm gonna die when i get them bad.
|

replied January 2nd, 2010
I WAKE UP EARLY TOO- ADRENAL FATIGUE!!!!
STOP LOOKING TO MEDS AND FIND THE ROOT!!! This is the best advice I received and followed. When your body is stressed, anxious, or depressed, it is usually (actually always) an imbalance in the brain and hormones. a big thing to look into and Google (becuase most MD's have no clue of it) is ADRENAL FATIGUE/LOW BLOOD SUGAR?CORTISOL AND DHEA LEVELS. Blood work is not always acurate with this condition and you will probably have to order online a Saliva Hormone Test/Stress Profile for an acurate diagnosis.
I spend two months straight in Drs offices, with them tellling me to go on anti-depressants. I refused! I knew, deep down that I was not depressed and that something physiologically was wrong, not just that I was going crazy. Find an Oriental Medicine Doctor or naturopathic Dr who really looks at the whole body, not just one or two little symptoms. YOU MUST BE TREATED AS A WHOLE PERSON, NOT JUST A DRUG FOR THIS SYMPTOM AND A DRUG FOR THAT SYMPTOM. Adrenal Fatigue effect TONS of people, but becuase there is no specific drug/treatment regualted by the FDA, most Drs will overlook it and treat is symptomatically with prescriptions. This will make your adrenals and overall health worse and you must work to rebuild your adrenals. PLEASE GOOGLE THiS OR FIND A NATURAL DR or you too will be medicated for all the wrong reasons and make things worse.
|

replied January 9th, 2010
Just recently I've been having the same problem. I've come to realize that is due to me pretty much dreading the fact that I will have to live another day with anxiety. It's been getting better lately though. You just have to keep your positive and most of all occupied. Keep your mind occupied, the more you think you are having an anxiety attack the worst the attack gets.
|

replied January 20th, 2010
Have a sleep test done
I had the same problem for a long time. One morning it was so bad that my heart was racing and palpitating. I went to the emergency room. I ended up having a sleep test and they found out that I had sleep apnea. This was causing me not to breath properly, and sometimes stop breathing for up to a minute at a time! I now sleep with a CPAP (breathing machine) and it has helped remendously. I recommend that anyone who has similar problems see you doctor and demand a sleep test. It was what helped me and I hope it will help you too.
|

replied February 8th, 2010
me too:(
I have the same problem and i would do anything for a answer. I am on the methadone clinic and they give me 140mg a day.sometimes i think that might have something to do with it.I just want to wake up normal again. i was taking lorazapam and that helped, but they throw a fit at the methadone clinic when i am taking that with the methadone. so i dont know what to do.
|