Medical Questions > Conditions and Diseases > Back Pain Forum

My Experience With Idd Therapy

Must Read
What structures make up the spine? We review basic spine anatomy here...before identifying potential causes of back pain....
Click here to learn about the most common causes of back pain, and things that increase your risk of backache. We cover lower back pain and upper back pain....
Back pain symptoms may seem obvious. But do you know when symptoms of back pain are more serious or when to see a doctor? Learn what action to take & when...
I've decided to place this review for idd therapy(also called neurosurgical spinal rehabilitation program (nsr)), since it is a new technology and not much information is out there about it. I hope it will give some insight on the process and my personal feelings on the treatment.

I've had pretty bad back problems most of my life and about a year ago went through a very painful spinal fusion surgery, which left me even more handicapped with additional nerve damage. After many monthes of reviewing my options, my physician recommended idd therapy. My doctor was very optimistic about the program and recommended many of his patients for it. He also stated that it had an 80 percent success rate. Now for anyone who experiences lower back pain, the idea that 20 sessions of a new technology physical therapy may cure your pain, is a very exciting concept, so naturally I jumped in. The treatments can
be expensive, but to my great relief my insurance company agreed to cover the sessions.

Before scheduling the first treatment a pamplet was issued to me instructing me to wear loose fitted clothes and sneakers. You also want to bring your ice pack daily, which they will provide you at the beginning of your treatment. They recommend taking a multivitamin daily, drink lots of water, and take aspirin, ibuprofen or naprosyn an hour before the treatment. After the treatment they ask you to take a minimum of an hour nap. In the pamplet they also say that included in the program is a weekly massage.

The first week of the treatment was very difficult and left me in severe pain, but the pain from the procedure will usually subside by the third week. They start the session by seating you in a chair with a heating pad on your back, they leave you there for about 15 minutes. Then after that they take you into the office and seat you in a massage chair. They place very small electric shock pads all along the affected areas of your back. (this part was frustrating, cause they often tend to shock you with them). A round ball is gelled then rubbed around the back where the shock pads were just placed, sending a charge to the muscle to relax them. This goes on for just a couple minutes. You are then asked to stand and they suit you up in a large harnes, that personally reminded me of a diaper but high in the back for support. Attached to this harness are straps in various areas that will be used to attach you into the table.

Once the harness is tightened you are asked to step into the machine which is angled in a standing position. This machine itself can be very intimidating. But it is designed to strap you in and move in various positions while lightly tugging and stretching your back. The machine is computerised and an increase of weight is placed on it daily to increase the strength in your back. Once you stand into the machine, it will begin to move you into a flat position so that you are laid comfortably on your back. This is when all of the harnesses are strapped tightly into the machine. At this the machine will begin to moving in it's various positions while pulling you. Each stretch lasts about 3 minutes. Within 10 minutes the table below your rear will begin to split open increasing the pressure and weight that is being pushed against your back. The process is pretty painless until the table opens and then you will feel some pressure. Throughout my sessions I was never able to have the table opened due to the pain it left me in. The machine treatment is about 20 minutes. After that is done, a cooling gel is placed on your back along with an ice pack. And your session is now over. They recommend wearing the ice pack for 2 hours.

In the office that I went for my treatments they had 2 available tables, so there were often other patients in the room with me. I spoke to several of the patients and asked there experience with the therapy. Unfortunately the treatment was not given rave reviews.

Through the people that I questioned, I took notice to the fact that there was a better success rate for people with disc or neck problems. But there was virtually no success for people with nerve problems, like myself. And i'm sad to report that many people said they felt they were left in more pain after the treatment than before. As for myself, I can admit that the treatment has given me more mobility when sitting and turning. But my pain remains pretty much the same. I can say that i'm glad that I did the procedure. But my feelings would have been different if my insurance did not cover it. I don't feel the treatment would have been worth the five thousand dollars out of pocket.

And on a final note I never received the weekly massage that was promised from the pamplet.
Did you find this post helpful?
First Helper debracz
|

replied September 12th, 2005
Five grand and still in pain with maybe a bit more but still limited mobility... :roll: ...I'd be ready to rip someones eyes out... :x
|

replied March 18th, 2009
I have three herniated discs, spinal stenosis and osteoarthritis. My doctors said that surgery would not help me because of the number of vertebra that would need to be fused. I saw a informercial on tv about IDD and did some research. I decided to try it. Unfortunately, my insurance did not cover it. My husband and I decided to pay the full amount up front and received a discount for doing so. I have nerve damage in my legs because of the pressure on my nerves from the herniations. I have lived with back pain and have been on pain medications (including hydrocodone and oxycodone) for 12 years prior to this. I had to take the meds on a regular basis. The strength of the hydrocodone had to be increased on several occasions until finally none of it had any effect. That is when I began taking oxycodone. After my 20 -25 sessions on the IDD table, I no longer had the shooting pains in my legs and buttocks. I could clean my house without being forced to remain in bed all the next day. I still hurt most days, but it was most often a dull ache caused by the arthritis (which IDD will not help.After a year, I started having more severe pain again and had to return for some maintenance sessions (4-5). Since then I go back every 6 months for 3 or 4 visits (all in one week)to relieve the pressure on my nerves. Instead of taking pain meds every day as I once did, it has taken me 10 months to finish 30 oxycodone pills! I have been thrilled with the IDD therapy but it will not help everyone. The director of the office I go to told me that in the first meeting. In fact, they sometimes turn people away if the therapy will not help them. When you live with constant pain, you are willing to try anything to stop it. I have been pleased with my IDD experience and will continue to return for maintenance as long as I feel the benefit of it.
|

replied January 3rd, 2010
IDD
AN inversion table will do the same thing for $129 at most major athletic retailers.

I survived a faulty parachute canopy and did considerable damage, and all the doctors want to do is cut and fuse. That is their job and how they make money. Eat right, stretch and invert. Gravity works so all you have to do is reverse your body.
|

replied February 24th, 2010
Really good and informative post,but if a person becomes pro-active about their diet and health can easily return back to a normal lifestyle.Thanks for the recommendation.
|

replied December 20th, 2010
IDD Therapy
I did this therapy about a year ago and what a difference it has made in my life. I would get up in the morning and I would cry and hangto on my kitchen counter the pain was so bad. I literally could not hold a cup of coffee. Now I am back working and doing the things I could normally do before. I also go in for periodic treatments to keep my back stretched out. I have a hang ups inversion table and it was not helping me and the IDD therapy worked wonders. I have arthritus and a couple of disks that are worn so they are almost touching so the pain was unbearablle. I was given a 10 minute massaqge every time I went in and put on ice for 10 minutes and then told to go home and do ice again. Much of the rest of the treatment was like debraz above but I loved the electrical stimulation but I have a high tolerance for pain and he could use very strong electrical impulses on me.
|

replied March 26th, 2011
IDD Therapy
I have DDD and suffered every day for years. I tried everything from chiropractic treatment to water therapy and finally was havings 4-6 spinal injections every 3 months... which offered little relief. I saw info on IDD online but had to wait over a year for it to come to my area. I had only 10 treatments (was supposed to be 20) and I was PAIN FREE foir 3 years. in the las 6-9 months I have started to have some pain at night in bed. Since I am currently unemployed with no insurance I cannot afford to go back again but you can be certain as soon as I am back to work I will go back for another round of therapy. It worked wonders for me when nothing else helped at all.
|

replied March 12th, 2012
IDD Therapy
Laid up 4 months in bed, MRI showed hern disc L5, did the 3 steroid shots, 3rd one helped pain somewhat, but still not enough to get me out of bed. Also doing PT weekly. Feeling despondent, I decided to try IDD since I am against surgery.

Was skeptical that it actually could do much. I have had 5 treatments, last weekend I spent in bed crying & feeling hopeless. This weekend, my son drove me to town & I was able to shop several stores, came home & did not return to bed, but was able to do dishes. & some other light chores.

Down to a half Vicodin morning & nite, from Vicodin every 4 hours! Pain is very mild now, down from a 10 to about a 2 or 3! Also want to mention, I have a very low pain tolerance. I also have much more mobility already, with no pain in the movements.

They did tell me it works great for discs, but not necessarily for someone with hardware from previous surgery.

I wanted to post my experience with the hope it may help others. I have already referred a friend who has same as me & was considering surgery, he will start his treatments tomorrow!
Would highly recommend this to anyone who is down to considering surgery!
|

replied November 29th, 2013
IDD works.
I had 6 herniated discs (cervical). I had a 10% reduction in pain after the first two treatments. I began with a 66% disability score. I am now at 0% disability with little or no pain. The only pain I experience anymore is something akin to a tight muscle- I can live with that. Just resumed body building again after 3.5 years away from it. IDD really helped me. It was far cheaper and more affective than neck surgery -which my father had.
|