Medical Questions > Conditions and Diseases > Epilepsy Forum

Was This a Seizure Or Just a Bad Dream?!?

Must Read
Click here to learn more about what causes epilepsy and the different types of epilepsy. Start here to learn about the basics of this type of brain disorder. ...
Get the facts on epilepsy types. Identify signs & symptoms of epilepsy. We outline different types of epileptic seizures so you know when to seek help....
How can you know if you're having an epileptic seizure? We outline how doctors clinically diagnose epilepsy and other seizures here....
Hi everyone my name is parker, I am 21yrs old female. I was asleep and had just woken up from a bad dream. I guess I fell asleep again after that, but this time I heard music, and then I got a weird feeling in my stomach and chest and my head started jerking and I think my arms might have been involved a little as well. I couldn’t stop it. I felt horrible fear, which is weird because normally when I have bad dreams I don’t feel fear until I wake up. Anyways while this was happening I knew it was happening I just couldn’t stop it and I knew what position my body was in, left arm outstretched and left leg bent. It finally stopped and I guess I woke up lying in the same position that I just mentioned. I still felt the terrible fear and my hands were a little shaking. My question is was this real, or was it just a dream? It felt so real, I felt tension in my muscles just before it happened and I felt the odd feeling in my stomach. I’ve had dreams about passing out before, but i’ve always known that they were just a dream when I woke up. Does sound like anything that has happen to anyone? Should I look into this? I’ve never had a seizure but I do get random jerks in my arms when I like watching tv and stuff. When I sleep I often wake myself up when my entire body jerks and jumps off the bed, but those feel a lot different then what I “dreamt”. Please tell my what you think any input is appreciated. Thanks
parker
Did you find this post helpful?
|

replied September 13th, 2005
Experienced User
It could just be random jerks. If it keeps happening you can talk toyour doctors about having a sleep study done.

My son has a distinct way he feels after a seizure in sleep when he wakes up.

How were you when you got up the next day?
|

Extremely eHealthy
I think it was real. Do you normally get seizures?? I think you should go to the Dr. Im sure they have a test for enzyme which would be in your blood after a seizure. Or eeg could tell them also. When did this happen. If within 24 hours I think they can tell by your blood.
|

I felt like I was still dreaming I was not sure if I was really awake or not. Then I was really scared, and my stomach was a little upset. My hands were also shaky for a while after I woke up. Yes i've had random jerks before but they are short, only last a second, usually only involve one quick jerk,and never cause intense fear. This if it was real, lasted longer and made my head jerk from side to side for at least 10 seconds. I know thats not very long but it felt like forever.
Thanks parker
kayakmom wrote:
it could just be random jerks. If it keeps happening you can talk toyour doctors about having a sleep study done.

My son has a distinct way he feels after a seizure in sleep when he wakes up.

How were you when you got up the next day?
|

replied September 17th, 2005
Experienced User
Yes, it can feel like such a long time when your body is jerking and you cannot stop it!

Did you talk to your doctor about this? Hoping you can get it checked out. An eeg might be a good idea, too!

Take care! G
|

replied May 28th, 2011
Seizures While Dreaming
Last night right after I fell asleep I dreamed that I was sitting at an oval shaped table with three other people: one woman across from me and I think possible a man on each side. We were all dressed as though we might be homeless. I had a dollar bill that had creases in it like someone had folded it in a cool way before, and I was very focused on trying to fold it in the same manner, but eventually I stopped and I think gave it to someone else to try while I moved on to try to fold a brightly-colored striped napkin in the same way. I was very focused on trying to fold carefully and precisely when I noticed my hands were shaking. At first I ignored it but then the shaking began to increase a little, so I held up my right arm with my hand flat and told the lady sitting across from me that I was shaking. Right after telling her, the shaking increased even more, my entire arm was shaking tremendously and then it spread to the rest of my body and it felt like I blacked out. I could not longer see anything in my dream anymore, but the shaking still felt real and I still thought I was dreaming it. I was very frightened at first and was aware that (in my dream anyway) I was having a seizure. Then I thought that in my dream I might have been reading and that as soon as the part of me that was still in the dream at the table finished reading the part of a book dealing with someone having a seizure that my seizure would stop. I cannot remember if I was aware that I was dreaming at the time. I felt slightly more relaxed when I thought the seizure would end soon, but when it lasted longer than I had thought it would I once again became very afraid. Once the seizure ended I woke up. I could not tell if it had been real or if I had only dreamed that I was having a seizure. I have never had a seizure before, so I do not know what it feels like, but what I experienced definitely seemed very realistic. When I woke up and opened my eyes I was afraid that it might have been real, and at first I thought I was blind (but then I realized that was just because my room is too dark to see anything at night). I did not have any physical symptoms upon waking of anything being wrong, but I remembered the dream very vividly and sent a text message to a friend about it right away. I just don't know if I actually experienced a seizure or if it was nothing but a dream. Should I be worried and see a doctor? Earlier that day I had felt dizzy for a few minutes for no apparent reason, but that had subsided quickly. I don't know if that could have anything to do with it anyway. Also, I am still in high school and I had just had my last day of school the day before this "dream" occurred, so I had been under stress a few days prior, but that day I had not felt particularly stressed. Also, I had not been getting much sleep before this occurred, and I had had a bit of a stiff neck for about five days before this happened. I don't know if any of these things are relevant, but I thought I'd list anything unusual just in case. If anyone can help me know if my "dreamed" seizure was real, it would be greatly appreciated. Thank you.
|

replied April 11th, 2012
Sleep/seizure/dream - or real?
Hey, don't know if anyone is still looking on this thread but I've been hunting around and I need some answers to something very similar that has happened to me at least 4 times in the past year. It involves dreaming, or least thinking i'm dreaming but being totally conscious but not in control of myself whilst still seeing what is in my dream...! My brain hurts, i'm screaming for help, I sweat, I can't control my body as i would like and i can't wake myself up (even though I KNOW I am asleep and what i am seeing is not real, even if what I am thinking/feeling is). I bolt up right with an amazing clarity of the event, often drenched in sweat with a fast pulse rate. I feel exhausted but I then can not get to sleep through fear/ exagerated brain activity or over tiredness. the dreams in which this has occurred have all been awfully scary but very repetitive in nature - which i know at the time but can not rationalise. All i know is that I must wake myself up somehow to stop it...and as hard as i try it only seems to happen when it feels like it telling me maybe i am dreamiing and not in control. as you can tell, i don't get it but it's so very real.

i would appreciate any coherent response to this post!

rob - 27
|

replied December 10th, 2012
Rob I would like to know if you ever found an answer to what was happening to you? I have had alot of these experiences lately, very similiar to what you describe!!! I feel like im having a seizure or something, often I even feel myself fall and then that feeling of being unable to move from my fallen position. I am VERY afraid and all I know is that I need to wake up bt it takes me some time to actually wake up. When I do wake up I am in bed and not in the position that I fell which is how I know it was a dream. Despite how very real it seemed! The whole time I am unable to control my body in the slightest. It is extremely frightning. Hoping you found some answers and can maybe clue me in to what the heck is happening to me???
|

replied April 22nd, 2012
Hey there RG85, sorry that I can only help in the fact that I have suffered from the same thing. Though, for me, it happens when I have a terrifying dream, but it's happens during the same part of a scary dream. When I have these convulsions, my eyes rapidly move and I am powerless and shaking about. I am awake, but at the same time dreaming.. if that makes any sense. I am able to tell myself to stop the convulsions but I am not able to actually stop them. In these particular "bad dreams" I start convulsing after a dark mass/figure hovers over me.. almost like it enters my body.. as crazy as that sounds. Then I start convulsing with rapid eye movement with my eyes open and there is convulsions from the top of my head muscles down my back, arms and legs. I end up waking up eventually after trying to stop it for what seems like forever. Once I finally wake up, my entire day feels extra gloomy, and almost not real.. kinda dark.
This tends to only happen every once and a while, and it's always during a bad dream with the black figure hovering over me. There is a feeling a complete terror. I also have suffered from an anxiety disorder for the past 6-7 years. It's all very weird to me, and I wish you the best with what you experience. If I had medical insurance, I would probably be able to tell you what it was through testing done on myself.. but the government makes it rather expensive to have that luxury.

-Jeff
|

replied December 4th, 2012
Jeff i dont know if you go on here anymore but the same thing happened to me last night. I keep my sliding bedroom door closed and i woke up and noticed it was halfway open and i saw a shadowy figure standing outside it. I thought it was my brother so i said "jason what are you doing" and as soon as i said that my whole body started convulsing uncontrollably. I tried to stop it but i couldnt. I couldnt speak at all and could barely breathe and it took all my strength to make a small grunt to try and wake up my girlfriend to help me. I was fully aware of what was going on the whole time and as soon as i stopped convulsing and i could move again i looked back at my door only to see that it was closed. If anyone has a similar experience or any idea what happened please share. My name is matthew by the way
|

replied December 4th, 2012
Jeff i dont know if you go on here anymore but the same thing happened to me last night. I keep my sliding bedroom door closed and i woke up and noticed it was halfway open and i saw a shadowy figure standing outside it. I thought it was my brother so i said "jason what are you doing" and as soon as i said that my whole body started convulsing uncontrollably. I tried to stop it but i couldnt. I couldnt speak at all and could barely breathe and it took all my strength to make a small grunt to try and wake up my girlfriend to help me. I was fully aware of what was going on the whole time and as soon as i stopped convulsing and i could move again i looked back at my door only to see that it was closed. If anyone has a similar experience or any idea what happened please share. My name is matthew by the way
|

replied December 17th, 2012
What you have explained Here has also just happened to me hence iv instantly started to research it I was also in this half asleep half awake state where I felt I was awake although I must of been asleep I was dreaming about not being able to get asleep in the dream I could hear blaring rock music coming from my phone when I switched it off and got back into my bed in the dream I started to convulse my head hands and feet as far as I'm aware we're convulsing I also knew that this was happening but couldn't do anything to stop it I kept telling myself to stop and gain control of my self but I couldn't for about 15 seconds whilst I was convulsing there were these noises in my head strange noises not sure if you had that too almost like a drilling noise then all of a sudden it stopped and I awaoke I haven't been able to go back to sleep yet after about an hour of trying any ideas on what it is
|

replied December 22nd, 2012
Ive been attacked before im sure while sleeping from outside sources b/c you are weakest when asleep i even would sleep with my bible everynight it started with sleep paralysis and seeing shadow cloaked figure in my room but after that theyd just attack me and id shake and feel the fear and wouldnt let me open my eyes i thought seizures maby as well even went to ER seizure ruled out not that kinda embarrassing number one thing if your stressed in your life fix it stay positive and first and foremost DO NOT FEAR
|

replied July 14th, 2013
Hello Smile I have had these crazy weird things that all o you speak of ever since I was little. I have even woke up to a presence trying to kill me and still been there when I am awake. I truly believe people come to me in my dreams - I have been diagnosed with Todd syndrome or alice in wonderland syndrome I have right temperel lobe epilepsy and it mixes with migraines to cause all sorts of crazy stuff! Last night I was being suffocated by a man my poor partner just sits and watches in horror as I actually fight for my life them bang awake all confused feeling like he is still there to the point that I can smell him and see shaped smoke and shadows.. The brain is very misterious and no I am not nuts lol!!h
|

replied October 14th, 2013
Reading through some of these experiences I will first off answer some of the common questions posed:

I am 22 years old
No, I have never actually had a seizure (or not to my knowledge)
Outside influences may have included a 4 night drinking binge on minimal sleep and exherting physcial activity throughout (I feel like this may be important?)

I had one of the most legitimately terrifying nightmares last night; or was it a nightmare? The dream opens and it's simply me, laying in my bed as I was on the same night. I all of a sudden become aware there is someone in my room and although I can't for some reason physically turn and look at this person, I recognize her to be one of my childhood friends but with an obvious distortment to her face. Before I could think about what she was doing in my room, we lock eyes and a ringing or buzzing starts off in my right ear. Maybe one second later the sensation of electricity or a rattling in my skull was accompanied by involuntary jerking of my head and the understanding that I was having a seizure (or what I would imagine one might feel like).
I suddenly wake up and try to calm myself down. I get up off the bed toward the door and I notice there is a woman outside my bedroom window. An old woman, who I don't think I recognized was sticking her tongue out at me in a very suggestive but entirely creepy way. The second she and I lock eyes the ringing in my ears returns and I have what I understand to be ANOTHER seizure - I AM STILL IN THE DREAM at this point.
I awake again in a panic, thinking this is just flat out unusual only to realize that now there are TWO people in my room. The second we lock eyes the convulsing sensation returns for the third time.
I wake up even more frantic, running into my mother's room. I say "MOM, I'M HALLUCINATING and I didn't take any drugs". The 'hallucinations' as I called them were understood as the people who kept appearing in my room. I was aware of the fact that they were not real, mentioned nothing to my mom about the convulsions. For some reason, she and I were not on the same page - I actually thought for a second that I was losing my mind while all of these people ran around my house and nobody else could see them.
I re-awaken now to THREE people in my room. I notice they're there but I don't want to look at them because I don't want to be put through the discomfort and fear of these new and unusual convulsions. When the three notice that I'm ignoring them, they begin to put their hands on me for my attention and the ringing in my ear begins again, followed by what I know to be coming. This is the fourth dream seizure I'm having.
I wake up AGAIN and I'm in the bedroom of an apartment building I remember from my childhood. I look up and my friend Quinn is coming through the bedroom door, only she doesn't look anything like the beautiful girl she is in real life - her face is distorted and squared at the jaws, almost ape-like is what I thought she looked like. For some reason I threw my laptop in her face and jumped at her. Her eyes fix on mine and the fifth dream seizure takes place when I wake up one more time:
There is no familiarity to where I am. It's pitch black except for what could be candle-light illuminating the distorted face of the first girl who visitted me that night. I had no choice but to stare her in the eyes and the sixth dream seizure takes it's course.

This time I actually do wake up, it's time for me to get up and get ready for work. How did I feel when I woke up officially? 100% terrified. I was confused, I didn't know if they were real seizures or some strange dream affliction I'd never experienced before. I remember just shuffling around the house to get myself ready in a foggy state - whether it was the fact of it being morning, having slept for a maximum of 2 hours or the alcohol staggering my metabolism is still a mystery to me but this was very uncomfortable for me. I've been shaken about it all day. SOMEONE PLEASE TELL ME THIS IS NORMAL.
|