Medical Questions > Conditions and Diseases > Cold, Flu and Viral Infections Forum

New to Ear Virus (Page 1)

Must Read
The common cold is probably the most well known illness known to man. But did you know that it's a virus? Read to learn the basics about cold here....
How do you get a cold? And what causes the cold? Learn more about causes of the cold, and risk factors that you can avoid to prevent this illness....
You probably know many of the symptoms of a cold: sneezing, sore throat, a stuffy nose, and coughing. Do you know the difference between the flu vs. a cold?...
Hello
after a long, horrific summer dealing with sinus problems and allergies I went to the doctor today because I was having severe dizziness. My doctor diagnosed me with an inner ear virus and told me the dizziness is caused from that. I have also been put on anxiety pills because the dizziness has made me nervous, in turn making me more dizzy!!! I am hoping this does not last long as I am a teacher and have not been able to function the past few days at school because of this dizziness. I know there is nothing that can be done and I am praying that this clears up a.S.A.P!!!
--in need of support

p.S. I don't have any ear pain but it does feel a little funny inside at times.
Did you find this post helpful?
First Helper bdix
|

replied February 14th, 2007
Solution?
I am disappointed not to find a reply to this post, because it describes my symptoms precisely.

Bethh523, assuming you have gotten better from this, how long did your dizziness last? I have been dizzy and borderline nauseous for the last two days and it does not seem to be getting any better.

Anyone?
|

replied September 3rd, 2007
Hi alex- its been awilen now are you better,i have the same thing and am so tired of it any good news or advice? cheers
|

User Profile
replied May 23rd, 2009
Ear Virus
I have been to the hospital multiple times since Jan 22 when the problems started, and after all that time they've finally told me, "You have an inner ear virus, which is causing all of your 'balance' issues. It will go away slowly." Slowly. No medications or anything because it will go away slowly. It was really severe at the start as I would get vertigo from looking down ten feet, I had severe photo sensitivity issues which are now mild photo sensitivity issues. I can't look at ink blots, certain colors or anything that normally would be ok for me because they're now a problem. I'm not allowed to be myself until it goes away...slowly. It's been four months. They have not told me how long slowly is, or how one gets an inner ear virus. I think inner ear visus is BS for I don't know what the hell I'm doing and I give up.
|

replied May 21st, 2012
I have had this problem too, for about 3 months. Doctor won't give me anything, says can't give antibiotics for a virus. Apparently it goes away on it's own, but WHEN?
|

replied May 22nd, 2012
|

replied June 10th, 2009
ear virus
I feel the same- am totally fed up. had a problem with my ear since Jan, started like an inner ear infection with dizziness, nausea, and tinnitus. Got progressively worse, there began to be pain in my neck on one side, feeling tired and run down constantly. 2 courses of antibiotics had no effect (presumably as it's a virus) and had an MRI scan which came back normal (I do NOT feel normal) now waiting a month to see the ENT consultant again. I cut out alcohol, which has helped a bit, taking so many vitamin supplements am rattling. It's been 5 months now and its still here, some days are worse than others. what worries me is that its spreading to my other ear, now i can hear a faint ringing there. I'm a teacher, so the ringing is a nightmare, and it hurts to use my voice. I hope it goes away soon.
|

User Profile
replied June 11th, 2009
I understand. All of my tests came back saying that I'm either normal, or better than normal though I definitely cannot be myself. My problem seems to also include memories of the day in which suddenly all these problems started. The memory of anything that brings my mind back to my situation causes the problems as if they had just started. I think it is an EEG problem. Which I have to check with a neurologist for, but i've spent somuch money on worthless doctors who know nothing about their practice, that I really can't arrord to see a neurologist, or a neurologist who doesn't know what they're doing. My eyes seem to cause most of my troubles, so I've been taking vitamin C and B complex B2 B6 B12 which seem to have helped decent amount. The issue hasn't gone away, and doctors seem to try to keep our situation hush hush so people never know what is it until they have it. Eating healthy, and taking vitamins corresponding to the parts affected is the best advice i can offer. Find unapproved advertising spam book and look up all your symptoms, then follow the processes no matter how over the top it may seem. It'll help you feel at least better, though I can't say I know when of if this problem will go away by itself. If anyone find a solution, please do post it. I have this forum linked to my email because I too would like to get rid of this problem as soon as possible.
|

replied June 12th, 2009
Something that has helped a bit, at least with the fuzziness I get on one side, and the feeling of being 'blocked up', is an aqueous nasal spray given to me by the doctor. I think back to the day this started- if only I knew it was going to last this long! I know it sounds dramatic, but it's really affected me and made me quite depressed, and an awful person to be around. I'm taking a lot of Vit C (definitely too much, 2000mg a day...) 1000mg of echinacea, zinc, vit B complex, vitamin D, Gingko Bilboa, Ginseng and probiotics.
|

User Profile
replied June 12th, 2009
Yeah, nasal spray is all I've gotten. I try to stay positive and not dwell on the problem, it depresses and paranoys. It's important to keep your composure. Only your mind can help you through not being allowed to be yourself.
|

User Profile
replied July 30th, 2009
i have had this ear virus? since may and i'm about to lose my mind! my ear didn't hurt at first. i was getting tingling in my arms and hands and a lot of dizziness/vertigo. i went to the ER and they told me i had a pinched nerve in my neck. i do suffer from a spine injury so it wouldn't surprise me. then a few days later my ear had excruciating pain to the point that all i could do was hold my head and cry. the Dr. prescribed me some antibiotics which made the really bad pain go away but it still hurt and felt really stuffy. i was still dizzy and had the neck pain down one side almost like a burning pain and my jaw was a little sore. i went to the ER cause i started having problems with my sinuses which was giving me headaches, racing heart, arm tingling, sensitive skin and so on...i swore i was dying! the ER said i had a sinus infection and gave me more antibiotics. after the 10 days it still didn't go away but i felt a little better! after about a week or so everything started coming back so i went back to the ER and they did a CT of the brain and found nothing and referred me to an ENT, the ENT looked in my sinuses and throat with the scope and said he couldn't find anything wrong with my EAR or my sinuses. all i could do was cry cause i was so frustrated for once in my life that there was nothing wrong??? last week the ENT did a CT of my throat with contrast, sinus and brain and some bloodwork and still nothing...i thought for sure these doctors must think i was nuts and i was starting to think it was all in my head and so did everyone else! after arguing with the ENT he said to take 2 more weeks of antibiotics and come back and he will refer me to neuro probably just to shut me up. i haven't picked up the antibiotcs yet and don't want to since i know they will only make me feel a little better for a few days and it's not good to take that much. i still have the arm tingling and pains,stiff shoulders, ear stuffiness with faint pains that come and go, heart racing, sensitive skin and extremely tired. you don't know how relieved i am that a lot of people have had this and it's not just me!!!!!!!!!!!! i think there is hope that some day i will be back to my old happy self...oh also my 3 1/2 year old is complaining that his ears are itching so i think he has a mild case of it as well....has anyone's symptoms completely resolved and how long did it take?
|

User Profile
replied July 30th, 2009
Nope, not completely. I've been to the ER after some complications with the muscles on the left side of my body twitching, but after a CT and a quick heart check, they said there was nothing wrong even though I pointed out that whenever I laid back for a while my heart would "thump" and I'd feel the dizziness. But W/E. I went to the Ophthalmologist and they said there was nothing wrong with my eyes even though I had vertigo issues and got dizzy whenever I looked at the color peach. I then went to the Entomologist and they did some strange tests only to tell be that everything was fine except for the fact that I had an "Inner Ear Virus", not to be confused with ear "infection". They are by far not the same thing. They pretty much cut me off by that point. No follow up or nothing, only to find out that inner ear virus is pretty much a term for a similar case they don't understand. It's like saying "good luck with that". Any way, my problems started abruptly on Jan. 22 around 2:00 PM. Specific I know. From that point, I didn't feel like myself and couldn't explain it to anyone better than that and telling them, very specifically, my symptoms. Now I at least feel like myself again, and I am very grateful for that, but I'm left with a slight paranoia of the things that used to bother me as the stupid doctors had no better advice than "it should go away slowly". Certainly I can feel that I am a lot better after a long fight with myself trying not to develop severe paranoia and the last thing I will do before I ease myself back into my normal lifestyle is go see a neurologist. If you've seen just about everyone, then make sure you see the neurologist. That will be your ultimate reliever in my opinion as they will be able to officially tell you if there is really nothing wrong with you. The way I see it, because we are the ones who have to figure out how to deal with the issue, the symptoms after a while become mental. Early Freudian studies show that with mental sicknesses sometimes just a memory of the sickness would cause a person to feel the effects again. This, of course, only happened when the patient was under the impression that they were still in someway sick. If after everything, the neurologist says you're ok, then take their word and ween yourself back into your normal way of things. Your kid may have an ear infection. Inner ear virus isn't something you can contract, though doctors don't seem to know how anyone gets it in the first place. Its such a rare thing that pretty much the only people you'll find who know about it are those with it. Generally speaking, maybe 1 in 100 doctors may even hear the term "inner ear virus" in their entire career. Don't believe me on that, then ask yourself this: "Why haven't any 'doctors' posted on this forum on a medical help site yet?" Hope that helps.
|

User Profile
replied August 3rd, 2009
wow! thank you so much for responding to my post! i am really glad i have someone to talk to that knows how i feel....the muscle twitching and the rapid heartbeat for me comes and goes and it's mostly in my arms and legs and it's pretty annoying! i have body aches but it's only every couple of days. my legs feel really tired a lot...kinda like sciatic nerve pain. i have noticed that my symptoms get worse when it's going to rain i guess cause the pressure is dropping. today i didn't feel much ear pain only the pressure but they were both itching like crazy!i know it's only short lived cause every time i have an ounce of hope that i am going to wake up better it's gone within minutes! the paranoia drives me crazy too. i even went as far as letting everyone know what i wanted for my kids and checked on my life insurance to make sure they would be set....i have gotten a little stronger with thinking i'm gonna die and i just keep saying to myself, "i have lived with this for 3 months and i haven't died from it yet!" the more i read the forums the better i feel and confident that it's gonna go away some day. i have become addicted to the power-c vitamin water (which i guess is better than alcohol...LOL)and hand sanitizer is my best friend..i think i have nearly washed off all my fingerprints from washing so much! i don't commit any crimes anyways...i am still having a hard time getting comfortable in bed so i have been sleeping on the couch for months and my sex drive has almost withered away to nothing! thank god i have a really understanding boyfriend! hopefully tomorrow i will lose another symptom and i will be back to my old self! have a wonderful day everyone!
|

User Profile
replied August 3rd, 2009
Yes, it will go away. The symptoms will wither bit by bit.
|

User Profile
replied August 10th, 2009
how are you feeling??? have your symptoms gone away?
|

User Profile
replied August 24th, 2009
Yeah, for the most part almost all the symptoms are gone.
|

replied November 7th, 2011
Thank you for responding back that your symptoms went away! It seems that I may have whatever you have/had and it is so scary! I fear that it will never go away! I've had mine for over three weeks.
|

User Profile
replied August 24th, 2009
good, i'm glad you feel better!!!mine are slowly slowly going away...i feel a tiny bit better every day....
|

User Profile
replied August 31st, 2009
no one's posted so i guess everyone is feeling better...if anyone else has this..are you having stomach problems along with all the other crazy symptoms this virus comes with???
|

replied November 10th, 2009
I just got diagnosed yesterday and my Dr. sent me home from work fo the week. The spinning was so scary and the balance is so far off. I just can't believe that it could last for weeks or may never go away.
|

replied November 13th, 2009
Re: Ear Virus?
Hi all,
I just found this forum and I feel like I am not alone. About 2 weeks ago my throat and right ear started hurting, progressively got that "popped" feeling, you know - like you're under water too. That, along with sharp pain. I saw my family doctor and tried 2 different kinds of antibiotics, and they gave me a pain killer (thank God). After a week with no relief I saw an ENT doctor - the result being a third antibiotic. After 5 more days I went in & the ENT doc cut a little hole in my ear. Over the next couple of days a thin bright yellow fluid kept draining out, especially when I used a heating pad. Now that seized too. Doc gave me antibiotic drops......Long story short - no change whatsoever. The pain is not that bad anymore but other than that, my life is a mess! I can't hear a damn thing, work, school & family life is really hard because of it & I feel dizzy all the time and sometimes get chills. I am tired of going to the doctor, spending a ton of $$$ and no relief.
Seriously, is there anything I can do to make it go away quicker? Please help!
Thanks in advance,
Diana
|

User Profile
replied December 5th, 2009
Strange collection of symptoms
I've had similar problems to those mentioned above however mine seem to be a strange almagamation of others plus a couple extra twists. I've been dealing with this for two years now and it all coincided with a traumatic band practice in which my ears started ringing intensely afterwards. I must have not put the earplug in all the way or turned my amp up too high... whatever the problem it didn't seem too different from any other time I played except for the intense ringing. Well I waited for several excruciating weeks thinking it would go away, but it never did, although it subsided somewhat. It was nearly unbearable for those first couple months. Anyway since then other symptoms have developed and I'm lighter in the pocket from all the doctors but not really much better. I have the thumping in my ear, which seems to coincide with any noise or vibration in the room. A good example would be when I'm on the phone and every word a person speaks causes my ear drum to thump in exact rythymn with their words. Another thing I've developed are twitches, which occur mostly in my arms, hands legs and feet but also occasionally in my head and seem to magnify when I talk. Speaking of talking, that has become more difficult because it feels as though there is a tightening in my face or muscle that inhibits the muscles in my mouth from articulating as easily as before. Talking appears normal to the people I know but it feels alot less effortless than it used to be, and even a struggle under the worst circumstances. When I get excited or am active, I feel very nervy and shaky. I don't know if all of this is related to stress precipitating from all of my symptoms but I've almost become at peace with all of this and yet they do not subside. There is not a single day that has gone by that I haven't thought about all of this and the ringing still bothers me at night. The doctors have not been much help at first diagnosing me with lymes diseases, and then realizing I was mistakenly diagnosed, to taking mri's and finding that all of my sinuses were infected and treating it with little improvement to my symptoms. I feel like I am all out of answers and am trying to accept that I will have to live with all of this, but I can't beleive that in just one day, I would go from feeling absolutely perfectly fine, to feeling like I have to carry a huge burden on my shoulders every day. I look on the internet and find nothing with my collection of symptoms... maybe someone here can help. Thanks for reading my extremely long post and I hope everyone else finds relief here.
|

replied May 22nd, 2012
EAR VIRUS
I have had this now for 3 mos. and have just now found a link that seems to address this problem. Pls. go to this link and read the whole thing. Do try what it says will get rid of this, I know I am going to try it. Here's the link:
http://www.npr.org/templates/story/story.p hp?storyId=103463398
Good luck and I hope it works for us. I would like to know why my Doctor doesn't know this.
|

replied July 7th, 2012
Ear Virus
Yeah same thing....had it six weeks...im not in pain...i just seem to have the balance issues and the tinnitus...im just pissed off with the weeks I have to wait for tests..and this ....yes it will pass.........ahhhhhh
|

replied February 8th, 2010
Hi Everyone,
I know exactly how you all feel, I have been having this "inner ear virus" for years. Presently I have had it since Jan 10, 2010 and have my good and bad days. To help with dizziness and nausea, take ginger tablets, I find that helps alot. Make sure you drink at least 2 litres of water a day, lots of fruit and veges and some mild exercise ie walking(when you can).
I use to pass out regularly until my cardiologist suggested that I elevate my legs above my heart. So, when I feel an "attack" come on, the big pillows come out and I just lie in bed for hours until I feel better. I have not fainted in 6 years now due to this procedure, but there have been times when I have come close.
Hope this advise helps you all.
Goodluck,
Lidia
|