Medical Questions > Conditions and Diseases > Back Pain Forum

Spondylolisthesis And Work Issues

Must Read
What structures make up the spine? We review basic spine anatomy here...before identifying potential causes of back pain....
Click here to learn about the most common causes of back pain, and things that increase your risk of backache. We cover lower back pain and upper back pain....
Back pain symptoms may seem obvious. But do you know when symptoms of back pain are more serious or when to see a doctor? Learn what action to take & when...
I was diagnosed with l5-s1 spondylolisthesis and have been experiencing severe back and knee pain since starting a new job as an infant/toddler teacher (i am required to do a lot of bending and lifting in my job). Because I also have osteoarthritis in both knees, I am unable to lift properly, which doesn't help matters.

I am wondering if spondylolisthesis can worsen as a result of engaging in physically demanding activities and improper lifting. I am concerned that I may be causing further damage to my spine as a result of this job, and am wondering if it would be medically advisable to change careers at this point. The doctors told me that my vertebrae is fractured on both sides (though i'm not sure what this means).

Any advice you may have would be greatly appreciated! Thank you for taking the time to respond to my post.

Gratefully,

kira
Did you find this post helpful?
|

replied September 14th, 2005
Hi there...Sorry to hear about your back. I have spondy in the same area as you do as well as arthritis in the facet joints in that area. I also have what is called a pars defect which is where one of the bones that holds my vertebrae on the spine is fractured and in my case on both sides. This may be what your doctor is talking about. I have had to make a lot of changes in my activities as not to lift much if anything at all and not to bend too much. These can put more stress on a spine that is already under stress because of the spondy. I'm not a doctor but I would assume that lifting something or bending the wrong way could possibly cause more damage to the area. This is just my opinion and asking your doctor what activities are safe for you is the best thing to do....Have you been treated for your spondy with anything?
|

replied January 18th, 2010
I was diagnosed with L5 spondy. I am an electrician by trade but began inspecting because its so much less physical. Well the township I was working for reduced my hours to nothing so I was forced to resign my position, now my wife has me almost convinced to file for disability because I also have a prosthetic hip which needs a new as well. If I hire help and limit my physical activity I dont see why I should be forced to retire, Im only 43 years old, I guess I want someone to tell me its ok, My doctor said its only going to get worse and I dont know what to do, we have a place to live with family for the year (plus) it takes to get benefits but I still enjoy and feel a need to work for my own bread, I have been working since I was a 14 year old kid.... Any thoughts or info is appreciated...
|

replied January 18th, 2010
Extremely eHealthy
Jblelectric777,

I suggest you start a thread of your own with the same post as above, instead of adding it to an old thread that is several years old.

That way your questions will be seen more easily and receive more responses.

Fran
|