Medical Questions > Conditions and Diseases > Gallbladder Disease Forum

Pain On Left Side Below Rib Cage And Below My Belly Button (Page 1)

Must Read
Chronic pain affects more than 70 million Americans. But what is pain? And how can pain management help relieve different types of pain? Basic facts here....
How does the nervous system work to register pain? And what are the major causes of acute and chronic pain? Plus, who's at risk of pain here....
Acute and chronic pain manifest different symptoms. Learn the difference here and know when to seek medical help for pain....
In the last couple of weeks I have been experencing pain on my left side just below the rib cage. In the morning especially, I have noticed that I awake and feel very nausious and sometime dry heave. After I dry heave I feel much better and continue on with my day. Untill late evening when again my stomach pain starts up again. I also noticed that just before I feel nausious my heart rate increases, and it seems as if I have a burning sensation around and under my ear. I have also noticed that before I awake in the morning my stomach is gurgling alot and I have a excessive amount of gas and burping. I have lost about 10 -12 lbs in the pass 2 month every though I have been eating. I was wondering if anybody else has had this problem. I went to a ent doctor and was told that possibly, I have servere heart burn that is causing problems with my stomach. And my ear. She gave me a prescirption for a heartburn. Said to come back if the pain continue and would have me see a gi doctor. Will start medication tomorrow but was wondering if any person had any knowledge about my symptoms or something similar?
First Helper Mike9291
|

replied October 2nd, 2005
Re: Pain On Left Side Below Rib Cage And Below My Belly Butt
anonymous wrote:
in the last couple of weeks I have been experencing pain on my left side just below the rib cage. In the morning especially, I have noticed that I awake and feel very nausious and sometime dry heave. After I dry heave I feel much better and continue on with my day. Untill late evening when again my stomach pain starts up again. I also noticed that just before I feel nausious my heart rate increases, and it seems as if I have a burning sensation around and under my ear. I have also noticed that before I awake in the morning my stomach is gurgling alot and I have a excessive amount of gas and burping. I have lost about 10 -12 lbs in the pass 2 month every though I have been eating. I was wondering if anybody else has had this problem. I went to a ent doctor and was told that possibly, I have servere heart burn that is causing problems with my stomach. And my ear. She gave me a prescirption for a heartburn. Said to come back if the pain continue and would have me see a gi doctor. Will start medication tomorrow but was wondering if any person had any knowledge about my symptoms or something similar?

im only 16 I was rushed in to the hospital at 300am one day because I had pain in my right side though and it felt like it was my heart!.. Little did I know it was gallstones I only found out by an ultrasound.. So it you can you should probly go in and ask for an ultrasound around your gallblader on your right side if you have gallstones they will show up.. I went to a gallbladder class and they also told me if you do have gallstones you do have "attacks" and they can be very light to very sever pains in your back, neck stomach right/ left or in the center of your chest so get that cheked out then let me know how your doing!?! Thanks.. I'll talk to you soon.

-amanda
|
Did you find this post helpful?

replied May 26th, 2007
No You Are Not the Only One!!!
Wink
I know exactly what you are going threw!!!
For the past 8-9 mounts I have been going threw about the same thing. Just my pain is mainly at night. Once I get to sleep I am better off when I wake up. I get the gas, bloating and the feeling of being constipated. Also I have been to the Dr many times and have been told IBS, Cystic Fibrosis. Up until last night I didn't know exactly what was wrong I ended up in the hospital at 8pm and didn't come home till 4am this morning 5/26/2007. I have the same thing with the throwing up that after I do I know the pain will be going away soon. I had first, when this condition started thought I was just having some bad indigestion and was taking extra strength Alka Selzer and it would help with the pain. Since the Symptoms happened soon after eating I was afraid to eat anything for a long time thus weight loss!!

Rest assured that you are not the only one!!

Check out www.webmd.com
|

replied August 1st, 2007
Re: No You Are Not the Only One!!!
i have the same problems going on, left side pain, under rib cage, it really hurts. dr did a lipase test and it came back double what the number should be Confused so i'm going to the GI to see what's going on they think it's something going on with my pancreas.
|

replied January 1st, 2012
when u people eat lunch or dinner after that drink coffee u people feel good .
|

replied February 12th, 2009
GALLBLADDER
It could be the gallbladder for years i was having pain on the left side and all the cat scans did not show up what was going on inside till i got real sick throwing up . more test were done stones where finally showing up but it the scan should have shown the inflamtion and scaring ng there and it did not . the surgeron was not going to do anything but decided to give it a try to see if it helped the nausea .my gallbladder was packed with stones right out to the opening into the duct they were able to remove the bladder without too many problem but the doctor told me it was scarred up badly had probably been infected a few times there were adheasions and it was badly inflamed .but i never had pain on the right side like you are supose to get so not one thought it was the gallbladder.
|

replied December 23rd, 2012
left abdominal pain
Hey i been suffering with the same thing pain on the left never on the right the DR told me my galblader is not functioning well should i have it removed hoe do you feel?
|

replied July 15th, 2013
I hope you still check in or maybe this comes right to your email?? I have had pain and deep itching on mostly my left side and in my center back on both sides. I had colonoscopy, endoscopy and ultrasounds, supposedly everything is normal, n
But i continue to get worse. I cannot live without zofran because of sever nausea constantly, spend most nights sitting upright on couch, cannot hardly function and all I think about is how awful I feel. I have another appointment in two days and I don't even feel like I can wait that long. It has to be my gallbladder....so much gurgling, more of an achy pain, some diareah, more constipation, gas, very very acidy, terrible taste on mouth enough that I brush my teeth in the night several times and chew gum constantly. Bloated. Sounds weird, but despite it all, I get hungry, but hardly dare eat anything any,ore because I feel so awful no matter WHAT I put in me. I am really hoping for a positive 'oh, yes it is your gallbladder' so I can just fix this! Bos are you doing now?? I know this post is old, but I am quite sure you know the feeling of desperate looking for answers.
|

replied April 20th, 2009
Terri
Hello - I started out about a year ago having trouble with sleep. Chest pain that made me think I was having a heart attack, and pain or what felt like a lump under my "left" rib that radiates through to my back. The doc did an ultrasound and I have one gallstone. Sent me to the surgeon and he had concern about my pain being on my left side so sent me for an endoscopy. The endoscopy came out fine and the suregon said he would remove my g.b within 6 months. That was in Nov and they won't return my calls. I'm so frustrated! Sometimes the pain in my back is horrible. I have to sit with my arm raised up to stretch my body out so it doesnt hurt as bad. I take 2 ompremazole 20mg a day and its making me pack on the pounds. I still sit here wondering is it my G.b or something else.
|

User Profile
replied June 24th, 2011
I have a lot of pain on my left side. This has been going on for many many years. Due to no insurance it was never treated except by home remedies and one or two expensive trips to ER thinking I was having a heart attack. Finally I was diagnoses with Gall Stones... multiple. I was taking 40 ompremazole for years ... and now I'm on pantoprazole with a new doctor. They are waiting to remove the gall bladder to make sure that since it's been so long there hasn't been more damage done in there. Keep trying to get help you shouldn't have to live with pain... it's just wrong.
|

replied September 10th, 2012
I had the same problem-for about 5 years-on saturday my wife decide to give me a deworming tablet-sunday i went to the tiolet a lot-now no pain no fatique nothing
|

replied July 15th, 2013
Did you ever get answers? Sounds exactly like what I have been experiencing. Left side pain through to back. Also feel like I am laying on a golfball....taking same meds as you though it does no good, plus zofran for nausea. I go back in two days...not nearly quick enough. I am miserable...difficult to work...already dreading tomorrow.
|

replied May 3rd, 2009
Stomach ulcer
Hello all, I have had the same symptoms. At first it's a dull pain in my left side, that somtimes migrates to my left shoulder. It's a stabbing pain that goes from a one to ten. I have gone to the emergency room twice and the doctors said I was fine x-rays and blood test come back normal. No blood in my stool. They gave me ibuprofen, big mistake! After another two weeks of pain and the stress of not knowing what was wrong, a friend recommended a great doctor here in LA, I went to see him and after five minutes he told I had a stomach ulcer. He prescribed me Pepcid, no dairy, no spicy food, no stress. Been fine so far. Hope this helps.
|

replied May 29th, 2009
Gall bladder pain
Twistdsunshine,
You need to find another doctor! I've been suffering with pain in my left side, right side, and back. It comes and goes and doesn't seem to be affected by what I eat. I've had an endoscopy, colonoscopy, abdominal ultrasound, hidascan and abdominal catscan - they all came back FINE! I'm still having pain so I went to a surgeon. He feels it's my gallbladder because of the pain. So I'm getting my gall bladder out on June 25th.
|

replied November 16th, 2009
right side pain FOR YEARS!!
I've had that same pain since 2000 the drs took out my gall bladder 09/28/2009 since then the pain is worse and i;ve lost alot more weight. the pain is on my right side by my rib cage,i have all the symptoms of bowel cancer but my drs tell me something different, EX:diperticulitus,kidney stones, pancreatus, you get the point they have told me all that for it to be wrong!!
So no your not alone with right side pain but i've learned to get a second responce, and still i sit wondering whats wrong why it takes me an hr to get up and relive my pain and nausea before i get the kids off.
|

replied January 18th, 2010
my friend.. u may be a victim of hyper acidity... and pancreas irritation.. i do not know the med terms...but have going thru a severe prob myself.. wake feeling nauseatic..a horse shoe ring of pain and bulk on the left engulfing the middle back and small intestine. left side...try ayurveda..eating right.. loads of milk and water may help make you feel better...
|

replied May 6th, 2010
No your are not alone...
I have the same symptoms... Started about 2 years ago, thought I had acid reflux because I was getting heartburn all the time. Then about a 1 year ago, I noticed a pea size lump under my left rib cage with an annoying pain. My doctor scheduled an ultrasound, and found out that I have a golf ball sized gallstone on my right side. He wants me to see and endoscopy dr. I have to say the other symptom of similarity is the ear ache. Every couple of days, going on for months, the gland behind my left ear causes me pain. Without insurance I haven''t been able to see a doctor recently, but it is comforting to know that with so many having the same problem, that I need not worry as much. My only difference though, is that I never feel nauseous or get sick.
|

replied June 17th, 2010
Chronic nausea - gallbladder?
I have been feeling nauseous for the past few months and have thrown up blood a few times. It's worse in the morning but lasts all day (and definitely not pregnant!). I have seen a few different doctors and have been given lansoprazole and now omeprazole. Had a couple of weeks off work as felt dizzy and sick all the time and thought it might be an ulcer and that stress could be making it worse. On bland low fat diet but hasn't helped much. Have now been referred for ultrasound. Have some pain but nausea and tiredness are worse. Could it be gallgladder?
|

replied July 30th, 2011
gallbladder diagnosis
I have the same thing but haven't thrown up blood---the nausea is terrible---I just noticed your post is a year old ---did you ever get an answer?
|

replied June 20th, 2010
Had some massive pain attacks about 6 months ago, and seeing a GI doctor now, get an appointment every 2 months, they seem to want to leave things and see how you get on basically slowly scheduling tests, Endocopy, Ultrasound, ok ultrasound shows gallstones, but appearently everyone have these and they are confident its not causing my problems, had a barium meal Small bowel meal now awaiting results, i really think because stomach problems are so so common they are quite unfair to people with long waits and wait and see attitude, i guess they really cant do anything until things are really bad or obvious
|

replied September 9th, 2010
Left side gallbladder stones pain
I have had left rib cage pain for 4 months now also reoccurring uti or bladder infection or kidney infection, the docs never knew. Had many doctor visits to discuss kidney stones, i took all the tests and they all came back fine and the blood in my urine would come and go. Finally while i'm trying to self diagnosis myself, i set up an ultrasound of the spleen, it had sounded like an enlarged spleen to me, needless to say it showed a gallbladder stone. Finally, answers!!!! I thought i was going crazy and the doctors did not help me feel any better. now i have to wait for money and time before it can be taken out. Just know, Just because your gallbladder is on your right side, the pain can be on the left. pain felt like a knife between the bottom half of my left rib cage, and even drinking water made it feel like a water balloon filling up under the rib cage, also felt alot of spasms and heartburn sometimes. i hope this is able to help someone, forums like this narrowed my search down. thank you
|

replied May 11th, 2012
I am experiencing excruciating pain on my left. From under my left ribcage around to the side/back...where you would guess your kidney is. I have been diagnosed with a bladder/kidney/uti infection. I took the antibiotics but after the pain was stil there. High white blood cell count still but no more uti so doctors don't know what it is. Ultrasound did not show any problems with gallbladder/liver/pancreas/spleen. Pain isn't consistent however, it goes away sometimes and I think its better and then comes back a few days later with a force. Does this sound similar to your experience?
|

replied September 29th, 2010
What is the best test a doctor can do, to check for liver or gallbladder problems? So far, only blood work I have had done. I am seeing doctor next week and want to ask for specific tests..
Did anyone also get kind of a burning, warm feeling, like warm /hot water being poured around the stomach area.. below both rib cage area? I get that , and am off certain things from my diet to see if i can fix this.. Decided not to have dairy., but I do need to gain weight I lost.. Would Ensure drinks be ok.. if this is indeed a gallbladder problem? I have a weird feeling on my left side, behind/below left rib cage.. and yellowish/brown stools at time. Stomach feels warm to touch. Ultrasound was done this week, should I ask for CT scan.. are they better to detect stomch issues? Thanks .. i am a 44 year old female, always healthy until all this happened 2 months ago.. very scared.
|

replied June 6th, 2011
left side rib pain
hi iam 26 male for over 2 years i have had i pain under the bottom of my rib cage on the left side and a really sore back around 6 months ago i developed what the doctor thinks is panic attacks iam not so sure, forthe last couple of months i have been feeling really sick during the day my left peck is constantly tight to the point i think iam having a heart attack my doctor wont refer me for tests as he thinks iam fine please could someone help me thanks
|

replied June 24th, 2011
Gall Bladder Symptons
Dear danny11r,
Please get a second opinion. I am not a doctor, however your symptons sound very much like mine. Please find a doctor that will give you an ultra sound for your gall bladder. My pain is on my left side under my rib cage and radiates to my back. I was confused because I thought all of the pain should have been on the right side. My primary doctor tried to convince me that it was my ulcer. I knew better because it was a different kind of pain. I finally found a doctor who would listen to me and gave me an ultra sound and found that I had gall stones. I am seeing a surgeon on Monday. My co-worker's brother also thought he was having a heart attack and it also turned out to be his gall bladder. Please go to another doctor and insist on getting an ultra sound of your gall bladder. Hope you get an answer soon!! Be Blessed!!!
|

User Profile
replied June 24th, 2011
I was told it was my ulcer as well... but after an ultra sound it was found to be gall stones. I'm having a colonoscopy and endoscopy next week to make sure there isn't more damage done (it's been years with the pain) and also to possibly locate the stones etc... I see the surgeon on the 5th of July ... Kinda nervous but if removing the gall bladder and stones will relieve the pain so that I can just work on the ulcer then I'm saying it's a go. YES I've gone to ER more than once (very expensive without insurance) thinking I was having a heart attack... Gall Bladder... simple fix. Get it done.
|

replied July 26th, 2011
I just went through so many tests too---blood values all normal---ultrasound normal--hida scan abnormal because gallbladder underactive---am having surgery next Monday---also had CT scan---however my pain is on left side in ribs and between my shoulder blades in back, not my right side---had been suffering extreme nausea and intermittent diahrrea---cofused but I guess I will get the operation--
|

replied July 30th, 2011
I have been having the pains on mmy left side and not my right too---I had a very bad HIDA scan so they feel it is gallbladder even though they saw no stones in Abdominal ultrasound, CT scan nor endoscopy---the nausea is terrible and I have lost weight because it was intermittent for a few weeks and then constant the last two weeks---hope you are better---let me know
|

replied June 27th, 2011
Read Andrea Moritz's book called the Amazing Liver & Gallbladder flush. Keep your body parts if possible. Don't let anyone scare you into getting an operation. You can do several flushed by following the above protocol or others on the internet that are old-time, been around for hundreds of years cures that work without going under the knife and getting on the medical treadmill. Please keep your body parts - they are there for a reason.
|
Users who thank gallstonesgone for this post: Valkyriea 

replied July 20th, 2011
Don't know what to do
I have been hurting for about 2 months on my left and right side under the rib cage and it hurts all the way to where my kidney's are 2..i went to the hospital twice and the first one said it was acid reflex so they gave me some meds and that didn't help and the other hospital said a kidney infection or kidney stones but the meds they gave also hasn't helped and i have drank nothing but water and cranberry juice but nothing seems to help i don't know what to do.and they found blood in my urine and my white blood count was high also.i just wish i could get this fixed because it hurts really bad..but i can't afford to keep going to the doctor like this either.
|

replied July 29th, 2011
Experienced User
Please ignore the quack and listen to the doctors. Your symptoms are not typical for gallbladder disease, but they are definitely indicative of a kidney infection. I know that doesn't help with the costs of treatment, but perhaps is one less thing to worry about.

Also, if you start a separate thread about your problem, more people will see it and you may get more useful replies.
|

replied July 21st, 2011
I'm telling you, in my opinion, it's gallstones and stones in the liver! Do a simple flush according to what Andrea Moritz says in his book "The Amazing Liver and Gallbladder Flush". You will save thousands and thousands of dollars in exchange for a few nights of discomfort. I can't believe these doctors. They probably KNOW it's gallstones but maybe they want to get you to the point where you beg them for surgery. Just my thoughts. Read the book! You WILL be amazed. Plus it's only going to cost you a few dollars. Or go on online and find info about his protocol. I was sceptical at first too and didn't believe it could be as easy, but I found out it doesn't happen with just one flush. It takes quite a few over a years time but well worth it in my opinion. Just sayin'
|

replied August 18th, 2011
Left ribcage and back pain
Really nice to see people with my problem. Going on for 9 months now, I've had a constant pressure and pain under my left ribcage. Once in a while it feels like it's spasming. I've been to Dr after Dr, had an ultrasound and 2 CT's...came up with nothing. I'm really losing faith in the medical profession. Which hurts me to say since I'm a medical professional. If anyone figures this mess we have out, please let us all know.
|

replied December 4th, 2011
Gallbladder
I am in the medical profession as well and have the same symptoms.Pain in left flank area which radiates through to the front just under the rib cage on the left. I know I have gallstones and have gallbladder attacks more frequently than I like on the right side near my liver. Therefore, I believe the pain on the left to be caused from the gallbladder causing my pancreas to swell. Gallstones will do that. I have been suffering with this pretty badly for about 9 months and just dread having my gallbladder removed, although I know that will fix it. Best thing to do if you want to keep your gallbladder is lower the fat and cholesterol in your diet and lose weight, especially if you have extra weight. Otherwise, gallbladder removal is probably in many of those in this forums future, although a few of you sound to have other issues, like GERD or ulcers.
|