Medical Questions > Conditions and Diseases > Back Pain Forum

Need Help! Upper Back Pain When Swallowing! (Page 1)

Must Read
What structures make up the spine? We review basic spine anatomy here...before identifying potential causes of back pain....
Click here to learn about the most common causes of back pain, and things that increase your risk of backache. We cover lower back pain and upper back pain....
Back pain symptoms may seem obvious. But do you know when symptoms of back pain are more serious or when to see a doctor? Learn what action to take & when...
Ok, about 4 days ago, I was taking some medicine. It was a capsule that had to be swallowed. I was too lazy to fill up my 1/4 empty glass of water, so I tried to swallow it with just a little bit of water. When I was swallowing it, I had the feeling that it did not go down all the way. It felt like it was stuck there. I went to bed and woke up because of pain in my chest and upper back.
Four days later, I no longer am woken up by pain, and it rarely hurts except when I swallow. I get a sharp pain between my shoulder blades and occasionally in my chest.

I am asssuming it is because of the pill maybe irritating my esophagus, but I don't really know.
Does any body know what it is?
Will it go away by itself?
Or how do I fix this problem?

Thanks in advance.
Did you find this post helpful?
First Helper AMuse
|
Users who thank AMuse for this post: DDel 

replied September 7th, 2005
Acid Reflex Disease
Ask your doctor if you have acid reflex disease. The muscle that closes off your stomach acids from your esophegus may not be closing properly. See the doc and ask to be sent for a barium swallow, if you end up being diagnosed with ard it can be treated by meds and a good % are cured. If left undiagnosed it could be very dangerous.
Best of luck!
Suzion
|

replied November 24th, 2007
Back Pain Swallowing
Anyone who is looking for the subject of back pain when swallowing specifically, between the shoulder blades (trapezius muscles) here is my story. One night while shopping in Wal-Mart I felt itching in my back and ignored it. The next day I went to eat in a restaurant and felt a sharp pain in my back, when I swallowed a chicken wing I ignored it. That night I ate dinner and felt the pain with each swallow. I said to myself if it does not go away in two days I will see a doctor. Sure enough it did not go away and I got extremely anxious. I went to see the doctor, after many hours on the internet. He sent me for a barium swallow, stating he never heard of such a thing. When I went to the Radiologist, ( who saw me personally for the swallow) he told me he had heard of it and it could happen with injury to the trapezius muscle. He also mentioned that the trapezius muscle is a long muscle and is related to the larynx, pharynx and sternocleidomastoid muscle via Cranial Never XI (Accessory nerve). I remember injuring that muscle seriously that day I went to Wal-Mart, but could not find any link between injury and this type of symptom. Sure enough when the muscle healed about 2 weeks later, the pain went away. I hope this helped anyone who is going crazy trying to find this information. Of course if you feel this is not your case, see a doctor right away.
|

replied November 15th, 2011
Hi my friend,

I have the same problem and Ihave it or 6 months .
It really makes me crazy .
Hw did you get cured?
|

replied June 17th, 2012
You have this for 6 months and never went to a doctor?
I wouldve went after a few weeks. Youre an idiot.
|

replied December 3rd, 2012
Maybe you're just a baby. Stinks to be judged.
|

replied January 5th, 2013
I just want to say thank you for posting this information. It literally took like 15 different searches to arrive here and man am I so happy. I did somthing to my middle back muscle after exercising yesterday and today I woke up and barely could move. It hurt to swallow, cough, laugh, burp, etc... I went to the ER and was diagnnosed with muschle spasms. But this description you are describing "BEST" explains what I am experiencing. Thank you so much for the post Wink
|

replied November 25th, 2007
Back Pain When Swallowing
Iam so glad I found this forum as I have been worried out of my mind with regards to the back pain Iam experiencing when I swallow. On Saturday morning I was moving old furniture to the dump and then I went shopping, we stopped for lunch and I got a such a fright when I ate my sandwhich because the pain in my back was really dreadful, but the pain only occured when I swallowed and went past a certain area of my upper back, it eased off after a couple of seconds but re-occured with next swallow. I went to A&E the following night and the doctor explained that it was musculo-skeletal. I never connected the moving of the furniture to the swallowing thing because I didnt think I had hurt or strained any muscles at the time. Thank you for post it really has eased my mind.
|

replied April 5th, 2009
Back Pain When Swallowing
A couple of weeds ago I was weight lifting in the gym (bench press and butterfly's). About a day later I began to get a little bit sore as I usually do. After two days I began to really hurt around the right side of my chest, under my arm pit and all the way through my back especially at the shoulder blade area. At this time I started noticing that when I drank something cold I would get a pain in the center of my back and a little bit to the right as well. Warm liquids were not as bad. After some research on the net I have come to the conclusion that maybe the strained muscles may have something to do with the swallowing and pain connection. I've had an endoscopy a couple of years ago due to GERD and had some small esoph-ulcers. I've been on Previcid for 2 years now. I haven't had any swallowing pain until this injury. My symptoms seem to be getting a little better as my injury is trying to heal.
|

replied May 20th, 2009
Upper back pain when swallowing
I am glad I saw this forum. I too was moving furniture a few days ago. The next day I have pain in my upper back. 3 days later, it feels the same, but now it also hurts when I swallow or take a deep breath. I am going to a chiropractor today in hopes of it helping. Any other ideas? I mean, is rest better or is exercise better? Has anyone tried acupuncture for this? Or a massage?
I would love to hear how people have recovered from this.
Thank you
|

replied June 5th, 2009
Same Story...
Wow. You guys are a site for sore eyes. Same thing: Went to gym, had a normal workout, went to bed that night, and woke up in the morning with a ton of pain b/t my should blades. Then when I ate something, the pain would flare up in my chest (like heartburn, same thing happened when i leaned forward, reached for things, etc...). I can't get to a dcoc for a few days, so i was starting to get worried. But this makes total sense. I have had back injuries before and the pain appears in other parts of the body I never would have suspected. Thanks for the postings guys. I am still going to the doc next wk, but at least I can rest easy this wkend.
|

replied July 22nd, 2009
Pain in the middle of back when swallowing.
OMG! I have the pain in the middle of my back when I swallow, also feels like something is stuck in my throat that did not go all the way down, and it hurts to take deep breath sometimes. I had major surgery a week and half ago and was wondering if it is from that and possibly something was damaged with the tube they put down for the anaesthesia. Does not happen everyday but when it does it's very painful. I have been wondering should I contact Dr. or will this go away with time?
|

replied July 22nd, 2009
Extremely eHealthy
lbcake,

You really need to call your surgeon as soon as possible. It sounds like it could be related to the intubation tube used during your surgery, but the only way to be sure is to contact the doctor.

Fran
|

replied October 15th, 2009
Thanks!
This has been extremely helpful! I too have the same pain. It started last week and I went and saw my chiropractor who adjusted me and seemed to fix whatever was ailing me (although I was very sore after, it was nothing like the previous pain) It was good for about 3-4 days and again last night I started feeling a tightness/soreness in my back and woke up in extreme pain again. It is worse this time and is excruciating when I swallow or take a deep breath. It also hurts when air sneaks up from my stomach to my esophagus (like a burp). I just can't get comfortable. I am going to my chiropractor again tomorrow. I really hope he can help because I just cannot get comfortable. I have had many anatomy and neurology classes and the nerves that infiltrate throughout your spine and body affect many different areas. Thanks for helping to ease my mind.

Liz:-)
|

replied November 24th, 2009
Pain in middle of chest and back.
Wow. I have exactly the same as all. Was mulching the garden on the weekend, doing alot of shovelling. Two days later have this awful pain in the middle of my shoulder blades and also chest. When I burp I have pain and just thought initally I had really bad indigestion. Then started to get worried and thought it might be something more sinister. So glad I found this site. I feel much better
|

replied December 3rd, 2009
Upper back pain while swallowing
I have a 10yr old son who started having a pain between his shoulder blades while swallowing. This started in August with only meat and not everytime he ate. It has progressed to even soft foods and its now December. We've been to his primary doctor, an ear nose and throat doctor, and a gastroenterologist. He's had bloodwork, a swallow test, and an EGD and still no answer. He hasn't injured anything and I'm getting very frustrated because his condition is getting worse and we don't know anything more than we did 3 months ago. Does anyone have any suggestions??? We are at a loss and need a diagnosis. The doctors all say he has rare symptoms.
|

replied April 4th, 2011
EGE
my daughter has the same thing.. she is 9.. hers is hit and miss as well... sometimes with hot food and sometimes not.. sometimes with large bites and sometimes with small.. does your son have abdominal pain occasionally?
|

replied December 6th, 2009
Extremely eHealthy
HI
IT MUST BE SO FRUSTRATING TO BE WITHOUT A DIAGNOSIS AFTER ALL THESE TESTS. THE FACT THAT THE SHOULDER BLADES ARE INVOLVED MAKES IT POSSIBLE THE SWALLOWING AND PAIN ARE RELATED TO THE SPINE. YOU KNOW HOW KIDS ARE. SOMETIMES THEY DONT TELL YOU EVERYTHING OR MAYBE HE FELL AND DIDNT THINK IT WAS ANY CONCERN. A PROBLEM IN THE NECK MIGHT BE THE CAUSE. YOU COULD GET THE OPINION OF A NEUROLOGIST OR A SPINAL SURGEON. YOUVE GONE THIS FAR...WHY NOT KEEP LOOKING?...PETE
|

replied December 18th, 2009
I've just begun to have pain in my left upper back. I hvae a long history of kidney stones (passed one Sunday). Since Sunday, my left kidney had been cramping (not like full blown stone pain, though). yesterday, I passed a lot of white solids with some black flakes (have been passing the white soids for months now-passed over 15 renal stones in the last 12 months-but no black flakes in it until yesterdaty). It burned like urinating after a cytoscopy every time something else passed (lots of burn). Since yesterday, my left back pain has been steadily increasing. Lortab 10's don't touch the pain. Flexeril does nothing for it, a heating pad does nothing for it.

I went to see my urologist today thinking it was another stone since the pain seemed to coincide with passing the globs and black specks. No blood in my urine and no signs of blockage with an IVP. I've not done anything physical all week because I'd been feeling like crap since passing the stone Sunday. While eating tonight, nearly every bite I took (Buffalo Wild Wings chicken tenders) had me spasming. While it hit, it was a pretty vicious pain, but it went away seemingly when I swallowed the bite. The constant pain in my upper left back that started yesterday doesn't stop and seems to be related in the type of pain to the swallowing (though swallowing was much worse over a short burst).

I've had a history of stomach problems and take nexium for acid reflux. I've not had any heartburn since this started. I looked for a muscle that might be pulled, but can't find anything that gives relief to the constant pain. Any ideas?
|

replied December 31st, 2009
upper back pain when swallowing
hi i am 33 years old girl -in one month later i swallow a dry braed and feel some scratch in my esouphage .after that when i swallonwing every thing i feel a pain in my upper back side.i go to digistive and stomach professor he do endoscopy and told me nothing in esouphage except a little inflamatin and distal gastriti billiary reflax in stomache endoscopy
.and he prescribe pantoperazol 40-socralfit -aplalpraz-digistive antric cotid peal.i am also full of stress also.after one amonth and half later and use drugs the pain not stop.is it dangerouse or it take too time to heal.please help me 31-dec-2009
|

Extremely eHealthy
hi flattened
sounds like stomach. lay off those wild wings!!! see your primary care dr to get perspective on all your issues....pete
|

Thanks for the response, Pete. The pain was at it's peak when I posted that, but within another week the pain stopped when eating. I have been passing renal stones like it's my job, so I thought I might have pulled a muscle, but the pain seemed more internal. Soft foods seemed to have helped. There was a constant pain in my back, even when not eating, but it definitely went from a tolerable 5 to an 8 when I ate (pain scale, not discomfort scale-ah continuing definitions of pain...). Still passing smallstones regularly, but the pains seemed to have subsided for now.
|

Extremely eHealthy
hi flattened...glad you are doing better. like i said if pain comes back review all these issues with your primary doc. also you could ask about a special diet to help your system from producing stones...pete
|

Extremely eHealthy
hi hatamimariam
you need to call or see the doc again. the two drugs he gave you are not for pain. one is for stomach acid the other for stress. they are not pain killers but if you are in pain you need attention. you need to get this under control....pete
|

replied March 19th, 2010
Back pain when swallowing
I awoke one morning to find that I had excrutiating pain in my back along my thoracic spine and radiating to my sternum. The pain was so extreme I could barely swallow my own spit. I went to the ER immediately for an Xray which immediately alerted the baffled physicians to the source of the problem. During my sleep the night before I must have sleep walked into the kitchen. I have had a problem with sleep walking since childhood. The Xray clearly showed imbedded in my esophagus a six inch steak knife....blade down. Ouch. Simple surgery removed it and now I am fine. Have a barium swallow to ensure this hasn't happened to you. And good luck!
|
Quick Reply