Medical Questions > Conditions and Diseases > Urinary and Bladder Disorders Forum

Does Mannose Actually Work? (Page 1)

Must Read
One in five women will develop a UTI during her life. But what are UTIs? and what causes this type of infection?...
Why are women more at risk of developing UTI than men? Read here for more on what causes urinary tract infections and what puts you at risk of UTI....
A UTI can affect the bladder, kidney, ureters and/or the urethra. Learn which symptoms indicate urinary tract infection, complications and when to seek help....
In my research of uti's i've come across a few means of treatment. So far i've seen basic antibiotics, cranberry, and some sort of supplement called d-mannose. From what i've gathered, antibiotics tend to only cure it temporarily and cranberry tends to help a little....But has anyone tried mannose? Does it work? What were your results?
Did you find this post helpful?
First Helper zoegirl
|

replied October 12th, 2005
I've been on d-mannose for a few weeks. I'm also taking floxin 400 milligrams twice daily (for 6 weeks now) neither one is helping my infection unfortunately. Maybe it works just not for the type of infection I have (ureaplasma urealyticum)

good luck, take care.
|

replied August 28th, 2012
UTI
Unfortunately D-mannose only works on the E-coli bacterial infection not ureaplasma urealyticum infection. Check this video out http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=endsc reen&NR=1&v=QbcHT8rWNa4

Try drinking a mixture of herbal teas. Don't underestimate the power of the plants. Check this website out http://www.jonbarron.org/detox/barron-repo rt-kidney-blood-cleansing I purchased Uva Usuri and noticed how powerful it is as an antiseptic in the urinary tract. Consistency is the key - drink two cups three times a day at the very least.

I wish you all the best with this stubborn infection. Much love to you.
|

replied February 8th, 2006
Antibiotics
Actually, antiobiotics do cure the bladder infection. They kill of the bacteria that has made your bladder a home. They do not, however, prevent re-infection. Is that what you mean?

I've never heard of d-mannose, but i'll definately do somemore research and perhaps try it.

Does d-mannose cure bladder infections? Or is it used a preventative measure?
|

replied February 13th, 2006
D-mannose
I just bought some d-mannose on the web, so i'll let you all know how it works. I have been getting one uti after another lately. (second honeymoon sort of thing, which is nice; but these ongoing infections are a pain.) so, having tried everything else (cranberry juice, peeing after sex, rigorous hygiene), i'll be trying the mannose. It's one of the two main ingredients in a "bladder health" supplement for women that Dr. Andrew weil sells (the other is cranberry extract), and I tend to trust him more than most supplement peddlers. I hope it works, or our sex life is heading rapidly downhill.

I don't know whether you'd consider it more of a preventative or an early treatment -- it supposedly works sort of the way the cranberry extract does, by causing the offending bacteria to not be able to stick to the walls of the bladder/urethra, but instead to be flushed out again when you pee.
|

replied February 4th, 2012
Hi, I realise that your post was written almost six years ago and that this is a longshot, but have you tried the mannose products? what were the results? which brand did you use?
thank you Smile
|

replied January 14th, 2014
Ok, so I bought the tablets and they are fantastic. I just got ones from The Health Store and the brand is "power health". Theres 1000mg in each tablet and when i feel an infection coming on I usually take three.

I don't take them regularly, only if I feel the pangs of pain.

Would recommend. They are pretty expensive @ 18euro for a pack of 30 but worth it.
|

replied October 27th, 2007
It Seems to Work
I came across D mannose whilst looking on the internet to see if I could find anything to help my 88 year old mother. She has been troubled with urine infections for years and this last year she has been on almost continious antibiotics with one infection after another.

Since the menopause,I also suffer from cystitis after sex and end up having to take antibiotics as over the counter remedies no longer work.

My mother has been taking two d mannose tablets everyday, 1000mg, for 7 weeks now and has had three clear urine tests and is feeling well for the first time in over a year. 7 weeks clear has been unheard of for her for a long while now. She is going to continue to take them daily.
I have taken them three times for cystitis and each time I have not have to resort to antibiotics. For me there is little improvement for three days although it does not get worse either and then it starts to clear up. I then continue to take one a day for about a week. This is just what seems to suit me
Give it a go...it just might help you too. Experiment with what suits you best. I believe they only work with e coli infections but they are the most common cause of these problems.
|
Users who thank JocelynR for this post: allstar132 

replied October 27th, 2007
It Seems to Work
I came across D mannose whilst looking on the internet to see if I could find anything to help my 88 year old mother. She has been troubled with urine infections for years and this last year she has been on almost continious antibiotics with one infection after another.

Since the menopause,I also suffer from cystitis after sex and end up having to take antibiotics as over the counter remedies no longer work.

My mother has been taking two d mannose tablets everyday, 1000mg, for 7 weeks now and has had three clear urine tests and is feeling well for the first time in over a year. 7 weeks clear has been unheard of for her for a long while now. She is going to continue to take them daily.
I have taken them three times for cystitis and each time I have not have to resort to antibiotics. For me there is little improvement for three days although it does not get worse either and then it starts to clear up. I then continue to take one a day for about a week. This is just what seems to suit me
Give it a go...it just might help you too. Experiment with what suits you best. I believe they only work with e coli infections but they are the most common cause of these problems.
|

replied February 29th, 2008
D-Mannose works
I have been dealing with a UTI since October and have a very well known urologist and he has prescribed 9 different antibiotics that were suppose to help the particular infection I had. My infection was due to the e coli bacteria and i have had nothing but problems with the anti biotics (allergic reactions, re infection, yeast infections); it seemed as if antibiotics were only making my situation worse. I started to do my own research on UTIs and kept coming accross this D-mannose supplement, so with nothing but hope that i could finally get rid of my UTI, I tried it. IT WORKS!!!! It was so relieving to finally be able to use the restroom pain free! I strongly recommend this product for those with the particular e coli infection, most of my research suggests that the molecular structure of d-mannose attacks the e coli bacteria molecular structure. After nearly 5 months of trying everything, D-mannose has been a life saver. I do recommend not to by the capsuls that are mixed with other ingredients, d-mannose is sold in pure powder form that you mix in water or juice, you cant barely taste it and what you can taste is sweet, d mannose is a form of sugar. I hope this helps someone.
|

replied March 3rd, 2008
UTI free for a while now because of D-Mannose
I've been UTI free since I got the second brand of D-Mannose that I'm using now. The first one that I tried didn't seem to do the job (I won't say which since I don't want to dis it as it may well work for other people), however I tried some Waterfall D-Mannose (which I was told is a much more pure product) and it's been happy days since then. So far as I can tell from what research I've done in my spare time, anti-biotics tend to only kill off about 40% of the UTI causing bacteria (then it will come back later -much stronger than before), or are very harmful to use long term. I was suffering from an aqute e.coli infection. but it wasn't ever pick up on when I was tested in the UK. I had to send a sample off to a Dr. Toth in the US who did a test that took about 6 days, but he found the problem and now I get a maintainence amount of Waterfall D-Mannose from Sweet Cures.

I hope that this helps.

Chiyaki x
|

replied July 17th, 2009
D mannose doesn't kill bateria it just flushes it away. I am very satisfied with this product.
|

replied June 19th, 2010
hi there have ever heard of a product composed of D-Mannose and Morinda Citrifolia bettee known as Noni? I got to know this product frpom a friend of mine and after so much pain during the last 10 years I am now very well.
So if you need some help do try the same because it's really effective and what's more it's only natural.
D-Mannose exerts its mechanical action to flush the bacteria through urine while Morinda Citrifolia is a natural anyinflammatory and works as to prevent infections which affect our bladder.
Hope it can help.
|

replied June 21st, 2010
What brand and dosage of D-Mannose work?
Hi, please tell what is the dosage of D-mannose and Noni? I have both. I did not try Noni. I tried Pure Encapsulations D-Mannose using 1/2 teaspoon every 2 hours for 3 times. But it did not control the situation. Therefore, I have to go for small dosage of Antibiotics. I cannot take normal dosage of antibiotics cos I react to all drugs. I have another brand of D-Mannose, Now Foods. Not try it yet. I have had recurrent UTI for 3 weeks due to not able to use normal dosage of antibiotics. So, have to try alternatives.
|

User Profile
replied June 24th, 2010
Interesting. Me and Chiyaki the same DMannose we use. It's great! =^-^= Nyaa nyaa
|

replied June 26th, 2010
Brand of D-Mannose
However, I have tried Now D-Mannose which gave me strong burning feeling in my bladder and urine pipe. Whats your D-Mannose brand? I notice different brands work differently. For me, seems D-Mannose extracted from trees better than from corns.
|

replied June 28th, 2010
Hi there,
it's a pleasure to help you. With the D-Mannose I'm using you do not have to make a dosage on your own because it's sold in sachets powder and so you have to take them 3 of them per day any 8 hours.
4 sachets per day if the infection is very hard for the first week.
Their name is Ausilium and there is a distributor in London. If you wish me to give you more help please do come back with me.
|

replied July 7th, 2010
Really good to get your help
Hi, Janetspenser, many thanks. Yes, its great if you can help. I am using Manno Max pills from the US. It works somehow but maybe my dosage is not enough (about 10 pills a day, each pill is 1g, I react to it if I take more than that). My situation is always in a margin condition. The acute infection is not bursted. However, often I feel it is going to be, then under control again. Usually moreing is worse, though I take in the middle of night. But my needle like feeling and burning feeling never disappear. I also tried Waterfull brand. I took 1 fulltsp (2g) powder. I could feel its very effective however my body strongly react to it as well. So, I am strugging between the reaction and treatment. Really feel desperate and frustration. Looking forward to hearing from you.
|

replied July 7th, 2010
Hi Rina Rina I'm glad to hear from you again.
The D-Mannose I am taking is contained in a product of Italian origin which is now available in the UK. The product is not only composed of D-mannose which exerts a mechanical action to expel the bacteria throught he flush of urine but also of Morinda Citrifolia better known as Noni which using its analgesic, anti-inflammatory properties as well as stimulating T cells allows in this last case a strenghtening effect to the immune system. That's why this product is much more effective than D-Mannose of Mannomax and Waterfall in the Uk.
By assuming this product you will see that your body won't be strong anymore to bacteria as always.
Hope to be in touch again .
|

replied July 8th, 2010
Thanks for your kindness, please provide further contact info
Hi, Janetspenser, many thanks for your quick and kind help. Actually I have noni juice at home. Just hardly use it. Would you please give contact info and the web page of your special D-Mannose? I hope to buy it as soon as possible. I cannot handle my problem any more. Now, often I feel margin condition and the urge of UTI could come back (I am using Manno Max pills from the US which are extracted from oganic trees). Also, do you know your D-Mennose element is extracted from trees or corns? Looking forward to your future help and info.
|

replied July 8th, 2010
Hi Rina,
I'm happy to hear from you again.
I hope you are keeping a bit better than usual but I can understand how bad you can feel. I am sure that by assuming the D-Mannose of the brand I am using your problems will disappear.
The D-Mannose I'm using is extracted from a soft wood and it's very good.
|

replied July 9th, 2010
Hi Rina,
yesterday I posted you my email address but ptobably it was enlevated and I do not know why.
Please, do send me an email or try t osend me yours in order to give you all the information you need.
I really want to help you and all women suffering because it is unbearable to bear such a pain.
Where do you live? are in the US?

Hope to listen from you soon.
|

replied July 10th, 2010
Hi, Janet, seems the system does not allow to post emails here. I temporaly set a new account with hotmail. Please use ID lxyzl2010. I am in spam unapproved. Hope you can figure out my email account. Also, you can try to give me your ID without the part after your ID but tell me what account you use and whats the last part after com. Hope it will work out. Otherwise, please give me web page of this Co.in UK here. I might be able to find the supplier. Which country are you from? Looking forward to hearing from you.
|
12 >>