Medical Questions > Mental Health > Anxiety and Stress Forum

Stomach Pulse - Help!

Must Read
Abdominal pain and bellyaches are common. Though most cases of abdominal pain aren't serious, sometimes you will need to see a doctor. We’ll review some of...
Abdominal pain can be uncomfortable but is very common. But when is pain in the abdomen serious? Learn how to describe your symptoms more accurately so that yo...
It's important to "know your pain" to help your doctor diagnose the reason behind abdominal pain. Read on for more tools and information about how to diagnose ...
Is it normal to be able to feel a pulse if you press down really hard over your stomach, like around your naval?
I'm only 15 but i'm scared I have an aortic aneurysm or something.
Did you find this post helpful?
First Helper pat_united
|

replied September 4th, 2005
Pulse
I'd say that it is probably normal.
Think about it, if you can feel your pulse all the way in your wrist, the chances of being able to feel a pulse so much closer to your heart is even more likely.
I'd recomend that you not press on your stomach to check it, it can only fuel your fears, and trigger a panic attack.
A pulse is normal, unless you are dead. Lol.
You'll be fine, friend. Keep your head up.
|

replied September 24th, 2012
hi , im 14 and i feel the same thing.if you are thin, skinny, then you will feel it sometimes when your blood pressure is up! Smile were normal
|

replied May 5th, 2009
i have the same problem!
I too can feel my pulse in my stomach. except, I dont need to press down on it. I can feel it by lightly placing my hand on my stomach. It's only obvious when I am lying down though and especially during my more anxious days.
It feels weird.
The best thing to do is to not try and feel it. It just adds to your fears/anxiety of being unwell.
|

replied September 1st, 2012
I too have the same problem...i notice it more after a workout or physical activity where i push hard thru the exercise...and it hurts after like a really bad stomach ache..right from about navel up to sternum Sad is there something wrong with me? Or am i too over thinking and worrying about it? lol
|

replied May 6th, 2009
I have the same thing as well. I think it's normal. Try not to worry so much - after all, pulses are normal! Its when you don't have one. That's when you should worry!
|

User Profile
replied May 6th, 2009
Experienced User
I experience the exact same thing-- during the times I am the most anxious I can feel a pulse in my stomach, esp when I lay down.

And I also find that stressing about my symptoms makes them a LOT worse.
|

replied May 9th, 2009
Don't worry, everyone has a pulse in there stomach. If you lay down and lift your top off your stomach you can even see it pulsing.
|

replied August 5th, 2009
I have the same thing and I'm only 16. I've also noticed a slight burning sensation in my upper abdomen as well. It most likely isn't an aortic aneurysm because those tend to happen in people who are older in age, around 60. It could, however, be GERD or anxiety.
|

replied September 15th, 2009
I have the same thing, I am 21 years old. My abdomen pulse is visible when stood up, sat down, laid down etc. I am slim so I wonder if the pulse is more visible and noticeable for slim people? I read about AA also, but it is highly unlikely for such young people.
|

replied September 19th, 2009
YOU DO have a pulse in your stomach its called you abdominal aorta (its the main artery out of your heart) you would be very unlikly to have an a aneurysm unless you have some medical pre disposition to it. yes if you slim it will be more pronounced.
|

replied November 13th, 2009
i also have this. and it is more prominent when i'm having a panic attack. my panic attacks control my life. i feel helpless!
|

replied November 1st, 2011
panick attacks
Hi to everyone who get panik attacks,i used to get them often but now i'm free I control it by controling my thought when I start to panick I think of other things even phoning a friend or family will help the more you think of panicking the more u will so dont think of it just think of something nice becouse nothing will ever happen to you when you panick it just a waste of enargy so change your thought and you will win I now it hard but you will win always god bless .ceinwen
|

replied November 24th, 2009
pulse in stomach
I have this and can also feel a lump. does anybody else help me
|

replied December 2nd, 2011
I have this to i have a lump just under my belly button when i press down Sad
|

replied January 9th, 2010
????
i have a pulse in my stomach, it sometimes hurts. i have a hernia in the same place which i born with, im not sua if this has anything to do with the pain and the pulse. also i can see my pulse anddd it tends to get faster when i am calm.
|

replied February 2nd, 2010
i have a lump that pulses on the top left side of stomach. just below rib cage. discomfort keeps awake at night when pounding.
|

replied July 25th, 2010
i feel like if i had a small fish swimming when im laying on my stomach what is it?
|

replied March 15th, 2011
I also have noticed this for the last few years, a small beat like my heart on my upper to mid stomach. only when im laying on my back or leaning back in a chair. Im scared about it a lot and have shacking about it, possibly a panic attack
Im only 19 and dont know what to do about it my parents think im overacting and it doesnt cause any pain really and in all reason i am a big hypochondriac always have been but scared of aa
|

replied June 25th, 2011
The aorta, the largest artery in your body, leaves your heart, does a u-turn and travels down the left side of your chest and abdomen. As such, with someone of your build, under the conditions you describe, it's entirely possible to feel pulsations at certain times. It's normal physiology.

Brush up on anatamy, i have it too, its totally normal and my anxiety only fed my fear and made it worse so chill out.
|

replied March 15th, 2012
I also get these pulses but I can feel them without pressing down on my stomach. It also follows up with a huge amount of nausea and a painful stomach ache all at once. I get these stomach aches very often. Sometimes in the middle of eating a meal. I've seen a doctor about 3 years ago but they didn't find anything. Should I go back?
|

replied November 12th, 2012
I can feel the same thing also! I am 18, but I have felt it for about a year now. When I lay on my stomach, I can definitely feel it much stronger. It feels very weird when I am on my stomach. On my back, if I put my phone on my stomach, you can see my phone move from how strong it is. I am glad that it is normal to have a very strong pulse because I thought something was wrong with me!
|