Medical Questions > Pregnancy Forum > Pregnancy Forum

Medications During Pregnancy- Safe???

Must Read
What happens during labor? What do contractions feel like? And how do I know that labor has begun? Read on to learn about birthing basics....
Signs of labor occur after 36 weeks of pregnancy. Learn about the difference between real and false contractions. Plus, we outline signs of delivery complicati...
Almost all women worry about the pain of childbirth. Preparing for childbirth includes thinking about how you'd like to cope with the pain of labor. Read on for...
I am about 4 1/2 months pregnant and I recently had my wisdom teeth removed. I was given hydocodon for pain but got extremely sick from it. I was throwing up a lot and I had bad stomach pains. I have since discontinued the use of that medication- I took a total of 4 1/2 of them before getting sick three days after surgery. I was wondering if these are safe to take and also I consumed more ibuprophen due to the fact that I couldn't take my pain medication. Is ibuprophen safe to take during pregnancy??? Please help!
Did you find this post helpful?
|

replied November 28th, 2003
Active User, very eHealthy
Hi amelia,

no ibrufen is definately not safe to take during pregnancy, probably more so toward the last half of the pregnancy as it effects the blood flow of the baby. Hydocodone is addictive after 10 days of use as it is a narcotic. Although studies have not been done using hydocodone in pregnant women, being a narcotic I would imagine it could possibly be harmful to an unborn baby. As long as you are under supervision of your doctor, then everything should be fine as he/she will know what dosage of these medications to give you during your 4th month of pregnancy. Different dosages would be given at different stages of the pregnancy. Although it is always much better if possible not to take any drugs during pregnancy, sometimes it can't be helped.

Good luck
|
Did you find this post helpful?
Quick Reply
Answers to Similar Questions
User Profile
Deepak Anvekar
User Profile
Dr. Madhumita Avinash Paul
User Profile
Dr. Andrijana Shterjovska
User Profile