Medical Questions > Parenting > Single Parents Forum

Being a Single Mum

Can I just say to any of you who are single parents like me don't see it as a bad thing. Sometimes you will feel like you can't cope on your own but at the end of the day it's all worth it. When your kids are older your children will have the upmost repect for you for raising them on your own.

I had so much respect for my mum after she raised six kids aged under 7 when my dad left when I was 3. It made us so close and all of us felt we could tell her everything. Just be there for your kids and they will admire you so much. That's what I am going to do. When you feel like you can't go on then just look at your childs face and think I brought this child into this world so i'm going to do all I can for him/her and I will get through this with the love of my child/children.
Did you find this post helpful?
|

replied October 14th, 2005
Experienced User
I don't regret being a single parent at all. Since my daughters dad and I split up, I have been so much happier, but I don't regret the time him and I spent together. My daughter and I now have a bond that can't be broken. When she was an infant, I wasn't able to bond with her like most new parents b/c I was taking care of her older sister who was 2 at the time, and I was a first time parent. When I had the weekends off instead of being able to spend time with her I spent time with her and her siblings from her dad. Granite I love those kids, but it has been so nice to bond with just her. I know that single parents are strong parents, stronger then those that do it in pairs, it's hard, tiring, and stressful. But when I look at my daughter and I see how happy she is, it makes every single bit of it worth it.
|

User Profile
replied October 14th, 2005
Extremely eHealthy
Being a single parent is much better then having an abusive dumb-arse husband or bf around, sometimes it makes you feel like you have just another child instead of a real man. It is also good to have a good man around that helps, their is just nothing better then that, it does take some of the pressure off.
Good luck to all of you!
|

replied December 30th, 2005
Experienced User
I agree with you both and good luck
stay happy xxx
|

replied January 17th, 2006
Being a Single Mom
I have been a single mom for 9 years (left an alcoholic marriage when my kids were 3,5 & 6). I have faced poverty, criminal court (my ex was convicted of criminal harassment after harassing me for 5 years), family court (trying to keep my kids safe - after 9 years have finally exhausted the legal system in my attempts-what an eye opening experience!) my kids are happy, healthy & well-adjusted and I have no regrets!

Marriage should not be a life sentence and if you are facing addiction or violence issues it is critical to get your kids out as soon as you can. It's certainly not easy but I am thankful everyday that something larger than me gave me the strength to hang in there and have faith that there were better days ahead.

When I least expected to find love in my life, at the age of 47 and after almost 10 years of being alone, I found a wonderful man to share my life with...One who is proud of me and who embraces my children and all the challenges that go with raising children.

Good luck!
Lynn
|