Medical Questions > Conditions and Diseases > Gallbladder Disease Forum

Liver Pain Vs. Gallbladder Inflammation?

Must Read
Abdominal pain and bellyaches are common. Though most cases of abdominal pain aren't serious, sometimes you will need to see a doctor. We’ll review some of...
Abdominal pain can be uncomfortable but is very common. But when is pain in the abdomen serious? Learn how to describe your symptoms more accurately so that yo...
It's important to "know your pain" to help your doctor diagnose the reason behind abdominal pain. Read on for more tools and information about how to diagnose ...
About 5 days ago I started having pain in a localized spot beneath my right ribcage. The first couple of days the entire area felt sore to the touch with sharp pain in one spot. I've been researching gallbladder, pancreas, ibs, and liver...So far gallbladder seems to be the most likely cause.The pain is less than before and only when I press my abdomen in a specific spot now. I had heard gallbladder attacks would double you over in pain, my is moderate. Also, if it's gallbladder how long can it be inflamed before I need medical care. I have no insurance. The pain is less than before and only when I press my abdomen in a specific spot now. I had heard gallbladder attacks would double you over in pain, my is moderate. Could it be the liver instead? What would the symptoms be in that case. I'm not jaundiced. Thanks
Did you find this post helpful?
First Helper Charles1000
|

replied September 3rd, 2005
The liver seldom hurts. It would have to be something really serious to cause the liver to increase it's size and hurt...It's the only time when it does. I don't think it's your case. Try to feel your liver under the rib cage in the right side during inspiration. If you will feel it and it's limit is sharp than it is normal....If you can't feel it then it is probably ok. If you feel it swollen than it is not good.

As for your pain, it could be bile calculi.

" also, if it's gallbladder how long can it be inflamed before I need medical care"...Well, that depends on how lucky you are. It could become severe, but it is more likely to go chronic. But if you do have bile calculi, then they are your main problem. However, you must know that living with an infection is not recommended at all, you should see a doctor but if you say you have no insurance, then you know best.

Good luck!
|

replied September 3rd, 2005
Experienced User
I said it could be calculi because they usually cause inflammation of the bladder. They hurt the mucosa over and over again if they move,they may even go down from the bladder.

Moreover, could you specify the exact spot where it hurts?

Good luck!
|

replied September 7th, 2005
Chronic Gallbladder Inflammation
Does anyone know what the symptoms of "chroniic gallbladder inflammation" are?
I have had the u.R.Q. Irritation for 3 or 4 years with accompanying nausea & bloating. Does this sound like it?
|

replied July 3rd, 2007
Liver
Gallbladder pain is constant and miserable. You will feel it in the upper right hand side of your abdomen and below your right shoulder blade, in your back. It can last anywhere from a few minutes to hours. I had mine removed years ago but will never forget the pain.

Now I am having the same pain in the same area and my liver is tender to the touch. I keep getting colonoscopies and g.i. doctors telling me different things but no set diagnosis. Sometimes the pain gets out of control to where I am crying. It has nothing to do with meals as it starts when I rise out of bed in the morning and gets worse during the day. Alleve, Ibuprophen and other otc meds aren't working anymore so I just suck it up until I get home and can lie down. Can anyone suggest what is wrong? I am sick of g.i. doctors that tell me it's my diet or it's ulcerative colitis or crohn's or Not.... It hurts and making me miserable.
|

replied November 27th, 2012
You may want to be tested for connective tissue disease. I have had the same pain and just found out I have lupus. So you may want to have some blood work done.
|

replied November 27th, 2012
You may want to be tested for connective tissue disease. I have had the same pain and just found out I have lupus. So you may want to have some blood work done.
|

User Profile
replied July 11th, 2007
Extremely eHealthy
Re: Liver
jeritxam wrote:
Gallbladder pain is constant and miserable. You will feel it in the upper right hand side of your abdomen and below your right shoulder blade, in your back. It can last anywhere from a few minutes to hours. I had mine removed years ago but will never forget the pain.

Now I am having the same pain in the same area and my liver is tender to the touch. I keep getting colonoscopies and g.i. doctors telling me different things but no set diagnosis. Sometimes the pain gets out of control to where I am crying. It has nothing to do with meals as it starts when I rise out of bed in the morning and gets worse during the day. Alleve, Ibuprophen and other otc meds aren't working anymore so I just suck it up until I get home and can lie down. Can anyone suggest what is wrong? I am sick of g.i. doctors that tell me it's my diet or it's ulcerative colitis or crohn's or Not.... It hurts and making me miserable.

Oh dear, this sounds decidedly awful. I have experienced a pain similar to the one which you describe. In my case it is Spasm of the Sphincter of Oddi/Biliary Dyskenesia. It is very similar to the gall bladder pain I had prior to the cholycystectomy, but I almost think this is worse. I, too have become bitter and somewhat distrustful of doctors. You might suggest this diagnosis to your physicians and see what they say, but many of them are often doubtful that this condition is as prevalent as it seems to be, and diagnosing it has it's own set of side effects to watch out for. have they done any liver function tests (blood tests) when you are feeling this way? If you are having a liver/bile duct issue, your enzymes could be elevated. For me, I went the acupuncture route, and it has truly made all the difference to me. Please see the sticky under "suporter introduction".
|

replied October 9th, 2010
liver
i have had my gallbadder and stones out about 3 yrs ago and time after time i had been still getting those bad pains it feels like in the middel but when you touch its more in the right side but it feels like someone stab you ..i went to my doctors she said you cant get gallstones back if you dont have your gallbadder ..so im going to do blood work she thinks maybe my liver...
|

replied October 10th, 2010

I am having that exact pain, it is so horrible, it hurts to breathe, move, cough everything! i cant even sleep right now because i couldnt move, its now 5am..
the pain is also in my back, just knot like that seems like it can be rubbed out.. the pain is so sever under my right rib and i dont know what to do, i automatically start crying everytime i try to move its that bad.
I went to the doctors the other dya because i thought i was pregnant my blood came back negative, and she said my liver was high and asked me how much i drink, im 16 i barely drink i stopped a while ago and never even drank alot when i did so i dont know what it could be..
any help, please..this is so bad, i cant stand to be in this much pain and its not like i can even put presure on it to stop it since its under my rib..
|

replied February 17th, 2011
Several years ago I started getting gallbladder discomfort. If I pressed in below my rib cage on the right side, I would get that bad pain next to my right shoulder blade indicating gallbladder inflamation. My digestive system also gave me a lot of discomfort. Often food would just past straight through my digestive tract. I was also losing some weight.

I tried many things including gold coin grass. However, the only thing that helped me was lecithin, which contains choline compounds. Choline helps prevent fatty buildups in your liver and cardiovascular system. After taking lecithin as a supplement for about a week, my gallbladder pain and disgestive tract discomfort stopped.

I now take 3 teaspoons of granular lecithin with meals everyday. And I have been pain free for 2 years now. I have regained my weight, and I no longer have digestive tract discomfort of any kind. So, I suspect that I had a choline deficiency, which has been corrected with lecithin supplements. I have also kept my doctor informed of what I have been doing, and I continue with his approval.

Lecithin in recommended dosages is not harmful, and is worth taking as an experiment to see if it also helps any of you who suspect gallbladder inflamation due to fatty stones. Lecithin is also used as an additive in many processed foods. Always inform your doctor, however, of any supplements that you want to take.

Charles
|

replied March 10th, 2011
i've had my gallbladder removed several years ago, when it was removed some stones were left behind ! lodged in the bile duct and it ruptured, i spent 2 wks in hospital having repairs done, in the last year i've had really bad pain on the right side where the gall bladder was, i can also feel lumps under the skin that are painful to the touch, i wonder if i still have some kind of stone left behind
|

replied June 29th, 2011
Gallbladder inflamation
I have a dull ache near my gallbladder with NO attacks but I am having a lot of back pain in the shoulder blade area. I have blood tests saying my liver is ok and that thr ultra sound says that I have thicking of thr galbladder. My question to anybody that might know, does inflammation without attacks cause reffered pain in thr back near thr shoulder blades?!?

I am also scheduled for galbladder surgery next week..
|

replied July 19th, 2013
I really, really would love to know the definitive answer to this, myself! I have been having chronic pain under my right upper rib cage, side, and back underneath my right shoulder-blade for years. At the time I was checked out, it was thought it was something to do with the pleurisy I had going on at the time and a lot of focus was on my lungs but it has gotten terrible recently, absolutely terrible. It's never been fully gone to be honest with you, since November 2011. I go to the doctor on the 25th, next Thursday (soonest they could see me) It's like a constant soreness/burning with stabbing in one or two specific spots. I'm tired and weak also. I'll come back on after I've been to the doctor and let you guys know what was found. I'm only 27 by the way! Just for more information, but I do have a drug history from my teen years (not so much alcohol)
|

replied December 17th, 2013
I am scehduled for a liver biopsy on thursday but I truly think it is my gallbladder? Mid bad pain radiating into my back under shoulder blade. Any thoughts?
|