Medical Questions > Pregnancy Forum > Pregnancy Forum

Miscarriages At 1 Week?

Must Read
What happens during labor? What do contractions feel like? And how do I know that labor has begun? Read on to learn about birthing basics....
Signs of labor occur after 36 weeks of pregnancy. Learn about the difference between real and false contractions. Plus, we outline signs of delivery complicati...
Almost all women worry about the pain of childbirth. Preparing for childbirth includes thinking about how you'd like to cope with the pain of labor. Read on for...
What would cause a miscarriage at 1 week along? This happened to me recently after a perfectly normal, healthy pregnancy. My Dr.'s can't give me any answers. Has this happpened to anyone?
Did you find this post helpful?
First Helper ggarbo
|

replied September 2nd, 2005
Active User, very eHealthy
You can't be 1 week pregnant, so 3 weeks. If your doctor told you one week I wouldn't be surprised that he couldn't tell you why, but sometimes there just is no known cause.
|

I was only 1 week pregnant. My blood test confirmed it by the level of hcg in my system. If I was 3 weeks pregnant the levels would have been higher. My Dr. Couldn't tell me why I miscarried b/c there was nothing to see during the miscarriage that she could test. She said most likely it was not a "good pregnancy". That is what I don't understand- was it the egg? Something with my uterus? What?
|

Active User, very eHealthy
You are 2 weeks pregnant when you concieve.... They add two weeks.
Have you tried calling her to ask her?
|

replied September 3rd, 2005
Experienced User
The doctor is most likely meaning that the baby was 1 week along. In doctors terms, you would be 3 weeks pregnant, but the baby was only a week old.

I am not sure how common it is too miscarry so soon, I am sorry to hear about your loss!
|

replied September 3rd, 2005
Experienced User
I am sorry to hear 'bout your loss. There are a lot of factors that are believed to somewhat increase the risk of a miscarriage. Yes, it is possible to happen during the first trimester of your pregnancy. In your case, your embryo is 1 week old but you are already considered 3 weeks pregnant. The count starts on the day that you conceived. Miscarriages during the first trimester are usually associated with the embryo either did not attached to the uterus lining properly or underdeveloped, etc. I had my miscarriage between 6th-7th week of my first pregnancy pregnancy. I had some spotting again during the 6th -7th week of my second pregnancy. My ob prescribed me to take a medicine as treatment of progesterone deficiency. My spotting stopped immediately and I am just 4 months away from my due date. Your dr / ob will be the best person to explain the reason of your miscarriage.
|

replied September 4th, 2005
I appreciated everyone's thoughts. However, I was truly only 1 week along. I know exactly when I concieved. It was 9 days prior to the test. And yes I have called my Dr. To explain. They told me it was not a good pregnancy but can't tell me why. Like I said I didn't have enough (if at all) tissue to pass. It was so early that nothing could be seen on an ultrasound. I was just wondering if anyone else has had this happen and had normal pregnancies before/after. Thanks.
|

replied October 22nd, 2011
that happened to me i was a week pregnant and i had an ultrasound done and you couldnt see anything but the lining of my uterus was thickening so i went back two weeks later and it went away and i only spotted blood i didnt bleed a river.
|

replied October 4th, 2012
It just happened to me too, it was so early, I have not done the test. I wonted to wait few days. I thought it was implantation bleeding first, but than I started bleeding heavily and pass tissues .I am so sorry that I haven't done the test, because now everyone is telling me , I don't know, and that it was just a period. But I am so sure it was not.
It is two weeks now, but I am so sad. My husband was relieve , I think. He doesn't want a second child now.
I can't help myself,I tam thinking about it all the time, I don't want for our son, who was three now, to grow as an only child.
|

replied February 1st, 2012
Same thing just happened to me, my HCG Level was at 44, they told me I was 1 week pregnat, and all of the sudden 3 days later I started the bleeding, passing clots, I have no clue what happened or why.....I will try again next cycle.
|

Experienced User
Chemical Pregnancy
That is called a pregnancy when you are technically pregnant but the fetus just doesn't keep growing. It is estimated thatmore than 50% of pregnancies are lost in chemical pregnancy. It is very common. I have gone through a miscarriage so I know your pain. What has helped me is reminding myself "at least I wasn't further along" "atleast I can try again" "atleast it wasn't still born..." if anyone reading this has had any of my 'at leasts' happen to you I am increadably sorry. I do not mean to offend and I praise anyone from being able to recover from that and my prayers are with you. I'm just being honest that that's how I survived my miscarriage.
|

Extremely eHealthy
I would say 95% of the time mom had nothing to do with it. Especially at only one week. Baby hadnt even implanted yet--yes that would be a chemical preg. Cuz at that point it is only a fertilized egg floating around. When implantation takes place 10-12 days commonly then it is more than chemical pregnancy and becomes a viable pregnancy.

Just keep trying hon--youll do fine

im sorry for your loss
|

User Profile
Experienced User
Something like 1 in 4 pregnancys end in miscarriage- I know that seems really high, but the figure has gooten so high now, because people find out they are pregnant so soon. In times gone by, women would just have what they thought was a heavy period, or be a little late, none the wiser that they were ever pregnant at all.

Some times it just doesn't "take"- and there's no explaining it, or doing anything to prevent it happening again. It's very, very common, and has probably happened more times than anybody realised -it could've happened to me, other women on the forum, or even happened to you before.
I remember passing a big lump of something strange during a late period- it was definately tissue of some sort, not a blood clot- i'm now almost certain that it was an early miscarriage. At the time I didn't take an especially huge amount of notice.

Try not to think about it too much. Keep trying for a child, if that's what you want, sometimes the body just does a "trial run" before you have a baby. At least you know you can conceive.

Good luck
|

replied June 16th, 2011
Lessons Learned...
I'm 17 years old. Only after the first month of taking birth control pills my boyfriend and I had unprotected sex. The doctor had said to wait three months and still recommended using other contraceptives with it. I should have listened. My friend even noticed the difference, nausea, my eating habits, fatigue, all stuff I kept denying to myself. About three weeks after we had unprotected sex I was at his house and I started to experience intense stabbing pain in my abdomen and it hurt to stand up and breathe. I was bleeding pretty bad. I figured it was just my period coming a few days early. I took some ibuprofen and went to lay down. It seemed as though it subsided a little bit and I considered myself okay enough to work a dinner at the church. It started up really bad during the dinner and I had to sit down. I went to the bathroom to see if that would help and I found a larger than normal clot that just didn't look right and my blood was brown. I was shocked and speechless and didn't know what to do. I figured I must have miscarried. I started crying right there in the bathroom stall. I went out and told him. He didn't know what to say. We went to listen to the choir sing and about a third into the program I got dizzy and lightheaded. I ran to the bathroom and threw up. I hadn't thrown up in 9 years. I knew something was wrong. We left after the performance and went to his brother's house. I could barely stay awake and I felt like I had been hit by a truck. We got to his house and I went to lay down. My boyfriend came in and checked on me every half-hour. He took me back to my grandmother's house as we cried together in his truck and as soon as I walked in the door I ran to the bathroom and threw up again. For the next two days I felt weak and tired. It was very hard to get over for the both of us. It still hurts to this day. Now, I've made the same mistake of having unprotected sex...when will I learn...and tonight I'm experiencing stabbing pains in my abdomen again. It's only been a week this time and I'm scared to death. I hope and pray to God it's something else. Please keep me in your prayers and this time, unfortunately possibly too late, I've learned my lesson.
|

replied November 16th, 2011
At least you understand that you were not intended to loose the baby.What I did is terrible.I suspected that I was one week pregnant. I was stressed that I couldnt sleep at night.I took a medication that was written not to be taken by pregnant women then I had my menstruation on the 29th day of menstrual cycle.I knew I loved my baby but because I wanted to prevent pregnancy I took it.If an embryo was fertilized I can be a person who did abortion.I am very confused about it and I am now thinking why I did that. Do not worry God will help you find another child.My situation is harder.I will try to find out from doctors if really I was pregnant.
|

replied June 13th, 2013
Hi.. i have had a miscarriage last Friday while i was cleaning and keeping heavy things (oven & gas cylinder) back to their places..I was pregnant and i did not know this..one week before i checked on my doctor,i expressed her my doubts of being pregnant but she advised me to wait until missed cycle. my cycle were just 1 week away when i had a miscarriage. i am very sad at my mistake..it was no doubt my own mistake..now i don't know when we'll start trying for another baby because i feel abdominal pain and weakness.. kindly advise me what to do now? it was my first pregnancy Sad
|

replied June 13th, 2013
hi
Hi.. i have had a miscarriage last Friday while i was cleaning and keeping heavy things (oven & gas cylinder) back to their places..I was pregnant and i did not know this..one week before i checked on my doctor,i expressed her my doubts of being pregnant but she advised me to wait until missed cycle. i wish if she had checked once w with an ultrasound or advise me a pregnancy test.Sad.. my cycle were just 1 week away when i had a miscarriage. i am very sad at my mistake..it was no doubt my own mistake..now i don't know when we'll start trying for another baby because i feel abdominal pain and weakness.. kindly advise me what to do now? it was my first pregnancy Sad
|

replied July 30th, 2013
I came in search of peace after learning from my own Dr this morning that what we thought was a bacteria infection was actually a miscarriage. I pray for the women who have written/read these posts. I hope that you all find the answers in whatever form you need it to give you peace. For me, it came from the song, Be Not Afraid.
I am comforted now with the thoughts that my miscarriage was not a punishment on my decisions but rather a natural part of the human condition beyond my control and therefore I look up. I have faith that God knows what my future holds and He is preparing me and my family for it. Thank you all for reminding me of this.
God Bless.
|

replied August 16th, 2013
Hi, i had date with my g/f. Nd by mistake i have entered . And she was virgin. Then after a week she told me tat why my periods is nt coming . Then after 10days she done skipping then she told me my periods came . Then after 5days she told me tat still pain in my tommy like my periods is coming again then she went to the doctor nd doc told her tat ur baby is miscarriage and need to clear up . Then the doctor clean her up with scissor and she told me that i loose my virgnity .. But in my opioion pills was better them scissor. May be she is telling me lie. What you say about that ??
|

User Profile
replied February 14th, 2014
i was 1 week along and i know my body and all it's changes so i know i was!! maybe the implantation did not go well so yesterday morning i started bleeding quite heavily, and i was in a lot of pain and i had murderous cramps, i also passed a lot of tissue like substances unlike what i usually see in my period. i was so looking forward to this pregnancy because it was my first. What i want to ask is "is this going to affect any later pregnancies in the further"? right now i have no one to talk too because i did not tell anyone i was pregnant so i'm really feeling down and depressed right now. Is this a sign that i can't get pregnant???
|