Medical Questions > Conditions and Diseases > Ear, Nose and Throat Disorders Forum

Persistant, Unproductive Cough

Must Read
Do you know the three main reasons we cough? Learn common causes of cough and when coughing might indicate a more serious health problem....
Coughing is normal. But what can cause more troublesome coughs? Learn more about possible causes of cough here....
When should you see a doctor about cough symptoms? When are symptoms a sign of further complications? Learn about cough symptoms basics here....
I have had a persistant cough for several weeks now (no sore throat.. Unless it gets sore from me coughing too much). I had a bad cold near the end of july... It went away in the usual fashion after a few days, except i've been left with this persistant cough. For a while it felt like a ball of phlegm was stuck deep in my throat, and the cough would make it distribute, but I couldn't cough it up, and a few minutes later it was back in the same place. I've used zpak (single does oral antibiotic) after seeing a doctor, and while it seems to have gotten rid of the phlegm problem, I am left with the cough... Completely dry now. It seems to go away while I am sleeping completly... And doesn't come back until a couple hours after I wake up and start going about my day (i.E. It seems that laying down for a while seems to make the cough go away for a while until I get up and about again). By mid day the scratchy itchy feeling in my throat causes me to cause almost constantly unless I sip on some water or a cough drop. It's really annoying and kinda embarassing to have this continue on day after day. I don't really want to continue throwing money at doctors (my health insurance plan isn't very good). Any ideas?
Did you find this post helpful?
|

replied September 2nd, 2005
Experienced User
It could be something in your environment irritating your throat.
|

replied September 14th, 2009
Persistant cough
I have the same problem. Steroids, broad spectrum antibiotics and antihistamines does not seem to work as well. It could be a virus triggering an inflammatory immune response at the upper respiratory tract. If that is the case then it will take some time for the body to get rid of virus....another possibility is that something is triggering your cough reflex in the central nervous system...
|