Medical Questions > Mental Health > Depression Forum

Depression Screening Too Liberal?

Must Read
Do you know how doctors define clinical depression? Learn more about this brain disorder and types of depression that doctors diagnose here....
Can depression run in families? Can hormones really make you depressed? Yes! Learn more about causes and conditions of clinical depression here....
People with depressive illnesses do not all experience the same symptoms. Do you know the signs and symptoms of depression? Read on to learn more....
I've been taking those depression screening tests online, because I cut and I feel like crap all the time. Most of them say I show signs of clinical depression and that I could benefit from therapy. But, when you think about it who couldn't benefit from therapy? Does anyone else think those tests overdiagnose you? Or, do any of you know of any mroe reliable tests? Thanks for your time.
Did you find this post helpful?
|

replied September 2nd, 2005
Experienced User
You could say that diagnostic criteria set by the so-called professionals are too liberal as well. I think that many people deny that they suffer etc. Also, I think if we're honest with ourselves we know the answer. I think the fact that you took the test in the first inst, is probably a good indicator.
|

replied September 2nd, 2005
Very interesting... I took a couple of those tests just now to see what you were talking about. Both tell me I am severly depressed... Which I know already even though I have never been to see a doctor about it. However one told me that I was in danger of hurting myself and should call 911 or go to an emergency room immediately... I think it is from the question along the lines of "do you ever feel you would be better off dead or think about hurting yourself?". I answered sometimes... In truth I usually use that as a guideline to how bad I am depressed... The better the idea of suicide and/or just plain disappearing from existance sounds, the more depressed I am. Right now I am not really that bad... But even at my worst, it was still just thoughts and I wasn't really making plans...

So in any case, yeah, I think that the one definitely is overdiagnosing... I imagine if I were to discuss that with them, they would offer the "liability" excuse... Something to the effect of "if we didn't make that recomendation and someone ended up hurting themselves they may try to hold us liable".

Anyway... If you are cutting on yourself you are probably in need of some assistance. I've never really harmed myself out of depression... Anger on the other hand... Punching solid objects out of anger does you no favors... Lets leave it at that... That was many years ago anyway.
|

replied September 3rd, 2005
What would be more helpful would be some kind of info to tell you what's normal. Because i'm sure everyone thinks about suicide, right? I do agree with the liability issue, that's probably the reason. Maybe the same goes for real-life doctors, too.
|