Medical Questions > Conditions and Diseases > Stomach, Ulcers, Gastric Bypass Forum

Weird Flaky Stool W/ Cloudy Mucus + Blood + Pain = Help! (Page 1)

Must Read
Abdominal pain and bellyaches are common. Though most cases of abdominal pain aren't serious, sometimes you will need to see a doctor. We’ll review some of...
Abdominal pain can be uncomfortable but is very common. But when is pain in the abdomen serious? Learn how to describe your symptoms more accurately so that yo...
It's important to "know your pain" to help your doctor diagnose the reason behind abdominal pain. Read on for more tools and information about how to diagnose ...
sex: female
background info: I have had stomach problems before- nausea, the runs, and reflux mainly, on and off for spurts of 4-7 days at a time. It was suspected that it was my galbladder, but an ultrasound put down that theory. So I was put on prevacid [which I stopped taking around 2 weeks ago..]

soooo...

I've been to the appalachian infirmary three times. Starting around this past thursday my bowls started going crazy with the liquid poop. Wasn't bad tho, because then I wasn't hurting.

But friday [i think it was] I started getting these weird "flaky" mucus-y poops which hurt like bejesus when I was trying to force 'em out. It was like I was blocked up, but has almost runny poops. It got to the point where my stomach would just have the dull ache [pretty bad at times to where I coudl hardly move] and sometimes I would even have these gut-wrenching cramps.

Saturday the pains wasn't as bad, but as the day went on they got worse. I think that night was the first time I noticed that I was pooping out these "wads" of cloudy balls of mucus with trace amount of blood in them. That's when ryan [my boyfriend] freaked and pretty much ordered me to go to the doctor.

Sunday was the peak of my pain.

My belly was rock hard and all bloated- mainly on my right side.

I need some releif, so ryan and I hopped on the bus and went to walmart. There, after I had to make an emergency stop at the wally world bathroom only to excrete some more bloody mucus stuff, I got some offbrand ducolax. That night I took two [and seeing as how I only weigh 101, one should have been more than enough to have me up all night on the toilet], but it didn't have the effect I wanted. I woke up one during the night to have some watery poops. But nothing major or anything...

I took another laxative monday morning, but nothing happened that time. I went to the infirmary monday, but it was after hours and the doctors were already gone. But the nurse on call gave me some metamucil stuff thinking maybe I just wasn't getting enough fiber. So that night I mixed a pack with some water and drank 3/4 of it. But unfortunately it did nothing for my suffering. That night I had more weird stools and felt like utter crap.

Tuesday I missed my 3 'o clock art class to go to the doctor. As I described my symptoms to her she freaked out and started questioning me about stomach cancer in my family's history. [geeze, way to be reassuring..] then she did an x-ray of my abdomen and saw that I was so backed up that on one side it was all the way to my rib cage. There were also some pretty big pockets of air in my belly too.

So she said I should try an enema [eek] to see if that didn't break up my blockage. So ryan and I trudged through the rain [it was pouring that day] to the local drug store and bought an enema and also some oral fleet enema stuff [in case the enema didn't work]

so that night I gave myself an enema...Something that I had never done in my life- and I have to say it ranked as one of the most unpleasant things ever in my life. But unfortunatly...It didn't work. All I did was poop out the enema water. Ick.

So then I turned to the oral enema...Which tasted like butt!!

But within an hour or two it started to work, and some came pouring out. I think I went
a total of 5 times where I didn't have to strain only to force a few pea sized turds out.

But this morning I noticed that I felt like I was backing up again. And I started to hurt and feel unwell again. So I went to the doctor once again, only to get fussed at for taking another laxative. She said too many laxatives were bad for the digestive system and throws everything off balance. She took my temperature and it was 99.5, so she ordered a blood test to see if there was anything wrong.

However, they did the wrong test, so I will have to go back friday for another blood test... [however, it did turn up positive for acute mono...Which is odd and she said just to overlook since non of my symptoms matched mono symptoms] she just told me for now to eat non-fat non-greasy foods and to not take anything orally to give my stomach some time to rest.

So now i'm just waiting.

I had another runny mucusy poopy, but this time I say some pretty visible blood clots floating in and on the surface of the toilet water. They weren't too big- maybe the sice of a piece of corn and some slightly bigger, but it still worries me that i'm bleeding from soemwhere inside of me. The doctor blames the blood on the fact that i've been trying to force the poop out and have irritated my anus and rectum. But I dunno...When my belly starts paining and cramping I wonder if there's more to it...

I hope all it is is just severe constipation, but at the same time I wonder if there is something going on internally. Any advice?
Did you find this post helpful?
First Helper smith5g
|

replied August 31st, 2005
**update**

i can't tell where the bleeding is coming from- whether it's irritation or internal, but there is definately blood coming from somewhere. I just went a few minutes ago and [with much discomfort and pain] I managed to squeeze out a few blobs of poop- without much straining. Between turds, there was alot of gas that escaped tho.

But the thing that worried me was when I wiped- or rather dapped and squeezed my anus [because the toilet paper is much to rough and my bottom a little sore..] it was blood. Not thick, but it was mainly blood and not much poop. Now, the doctor I saw at the infirmary thinks that it's just irritation, but i'm worried that its more than that...
|

replied October 4th, 2011
I hope this helps!
Hi there. Sorry to hear about everything that is happening. I have a condition called Ulcerative Colitis. It;s a bowl disease, much like Chron's disease. You should see a Gastroenterologist (GI for short). They specialize in bowl diseases. I made the mistake of waiting to long to see one and I ended up in the hospistal in critical condition and I'm on daily medications and dietary upkeep. It's a lot to deal with. I started out very similar to you. I had some blood, mucus and cramping. I went to my primary care physician and he tested me for cancer. This went on for 3 months and my condition was getting worse. He never told me to see a GI. IDIOT!!!! What could have probably been minimized is now a full blown disease. I'm not sying you have what I do, but I am suggesting you see a GI right away. Request a Colonoscopy so they can see what's going on in there. Trust me, it's worth it!! Don't take NO for an answer. this is your health and future we are talking about!!! Also, for my condition, laxatives, caffeine, beans, smoking and alcohol are a huge NO NO!!! You may want to cut back and see if it helps. I hope this has helped you some. Best wishes!! Misty Smile
|

Meant bowel, lol!
|

replied November 28th, 2011
Would early detection have made a significant difference? I am having the same problems as the guy who posted this is though I've only been having them about four days I've felt the cramps for a couple weeks before that. I also have had slight nausea, especially after eating, but no vomiting. How long is the wait for a colonoscopy? Also, would an ultrasound be a better place to start or do you think I should just let them jam a camera in there?
|

replied August 31st, 2005
Same Thing!!!
I have been having this problem for about 2 weeks now, and plan on going to the doctor tomorrow... Same exact stuff...

Please let me know how it goes...

Coincidentially, i'm also an 18 year old female college student in nc... At ecu, though.
|

You should read my post above!!!
|

replied September 6th, 2005
Re: Same Thing!!!
Welp, after three trips to the infirmary and a call to my pediatrician, all i've gotten out of it is some nausea medicine and some uber laxative junk. I'm not blocked up anymore, but I was unblocked before I started taking the presciption laxative. I don't hurt as much, except for the sudden sharp pains- but no more dull aches. Poop is still irregular tho and still flaky and dusty looking. Also, there's still blood coming from somewhere.

Mom may try to get me in for a endoscopy and colonoscopy during fall break....Yay...Not.
|

Just so you know, usually blood is coming from swelling in the intestines as well as possible ulcers. Mucus is a definite sign of Ulcers. I've hd Ulcerative colitis since I was 22. I am now 32. It's been hell for the last 10 years. Trust me. Get the colonoscopy, find out what's going on and prevent as much as you can. You don;t want to live with disease. It's hell!!!!!!! I've been malnutritioned, anemic, and have dropped over 20lbs when I don't weigh that much to being with. It deal with fatigue and mood swings from a poor diet. If you have to chance to prevent the severity of the condition, do what ever it takes. I'm bouncing back from my 4th flare up in 3 years. from the time I staring having my first symptoms, it takes me 9 months to fully recover. I've been hospitalized 4 times and almost died 2 times. Please take precaution and read up on Chron's and Ulcerative colitis!!!
|

replied December 21st, 2011
Is mucous really a sign of ulcers?
I have mucous with every bowel movement and blood with 90% of the time. Including only blood clots for a bowel movement...
They cant seem to find anything so far.
I can't see a GI for 2-6 months.
Thanks
|

replied May 23rd, 2008
constipation!
I have been constipated for almost 3 years! On and off that is. I just pooped out a large amount of pure mucus, I am trying to figure out why. Just thought I might be able to help you manage constipation until you can figure out what is wrong with you.
Try:
Senna (natural herbal stimulant- it works better than dulcolax and isn't so bad for you) in a tea or pill form, I think the tea works better
Or, cascara sagrada- also natural may be more gentle than senna
DEFINITELY get some magnesium (Not tablets from like Meijier, go to the health food store and get a supplement called CALM) it will help you poop and sleep better.
If you are going to the bathroom and you feel like more wants to come out but it just won't, try singing from your diaphram (on the toilet) or flexing and relaxing your diaphram (on the toilet). I know its funny!
Dont eat refined grains or very much meat, possibly none, blueberries also help me.
Of course the nurse or dr probably will never tell you these things because they really don't know how to help people with digestive problems. They will give you prescriptions that make things worse in the long run. Don't take acid reflux medicine. Look up alternative methods- natural medicine.

I am currently researching celiac's disease (an intolerance to gluten. They have a test for it but it doesn't show up about half the time)
and I am also researching adrenal fatigue because I have many symptoms that correlate with that. I would try looking up your symptoms online but I only read homeopathic health advice. I have tried MD's and they have gotten me nowhere but burried under bills.
|

replied March 5th, 2009
same thing
i just turned 20, and i have been havving this problem alot. i have been to the bathroom several times today only to find blood and mucus. i have been to the doctor three times and they ahve found nothing. I am sick of suffering. i sit in sweat as i write this. Now time for bathroom. its almost like my body is making me squeeze when i do not have to. please help.
|

replied March 21st, 2009
Something Wrong
i Cant go to the Bathroom Makes over 4 weeks now i have been taking evrything for this problem on the internet have lots blood some days and its all Mucus all the Dam time i need to check with my Finger i cant even Check with my finger seems my internal got stuck or fused.
|

replied July 9th, 2009
Your doodie business!
Going number two is serious business and a healthy colon represents about 80% of your health. Mucusy poop is not normal unless it is related to a bout of diahera and is temporary. Same thing with stomach pain. Unless you are suffering from IBS or Crohns Disease you should not be experiencing this kind of thing long term. About the blood I would not worry about it unless your stool is completely covered in it in which in most cases it would be a black or tarry color.... or you have alot of it in the water surrounding the poop....or you find quite a bit of it on your toilet paper after you wipe. If your experiencing just a tiny amount of blood there may be a number of non-serious issues that may be causing that as simple as maybe wiping to hard or too much. If you are feeling any over whelming symptoms associated with your passing such as stomach pain, nausea, faintness, or you have a fever I would scheduled an appointment to see a doctor as soon as you can.
|

replied September 11th, 2009
Mucus/pus in the toilet bowl is usually a sign of inflammation. The blood on the toilet paper could be from an anal fissure from having a hard stool or straining. If you are having stomach cramps it is likely that the anal sphincter muscle is going into spasm and causing high anal canal pressure. This alone can cause an anal fissure. Sometimes having an inflamed bowel alone can cause much discomfort.
I have come back from attempting to have a sigmiodoscopy this morning! Unfortunatly I didn't hold the enema fluid in long enough and excreted the fluid out almost immediatly. The enemea was awful! I refused to have the sigmiodscope. However, it would of diagnosed my problem as I have the same symptoms as you. I am now inquiry as to whether I can have it under general anesthetic or who knows.. maybe I will attempt to have the procedure again. My advice: Ask your gp to refer to a gastrologist.
|

replied March 15th, 2010
Stomach Cramps
Iv had stomach cramps and bowl probles for three 3 years now went to doctors alot and they told me nothings wrong I need more fibre that im just backed up. Iv been backed up before and had to crap a brick. It felt nothing like this. Id take that any day over this this is not a fibre issue. I have seen a nusually high amount of younger (20-30 years old) people with this. Id like to find out what is going on but doctors dont know or seem to care. why are so many people having stomach trouble (on the right side)has somthing gottn into the water or the food? if so what is it and how did it get there
|

replied March 16th, 2010
Persistant blood, mucus from the back passage and abdominal pain is not normal! Get an endoscopy. GPs are reluctant to offer them so request one. Best diagnostic tool for the gastro system around.
|

replied March 22nd, 2010
I have experienced the same problem for the past few months, i have mucus in my stool every time i use the bathroom but now i am seeing little black "pebbles" in it. i also have constant abdominal pain, bloating, and cramping. Could this be serious?
|

replied July 4th, 2010
i have had stomache problems for about 6 years now with some of the same symptoms as you folks. I was tested positive for helicobacter pylori about 12 months ago. I also had a terrible time trying to pass stools which resulted in bleeding from the anus.
The dotor gave me a week long course of antibiotics which after the second attempt cleared up the pylori. The stool problem was related to a anal fissure which was cured using movicol stool softeners and drinking lots of water and fibre of course.
Before the cure i lived a life of severe stomach aches, sweating and running the toilet 6-7 times a day. That has almost completly gone. Any discomfort i do experience is now minimal and according to the doctor is due to a sensitive stomache which is to be expected after the pylori.
The painful fissure which was a nightmare is completely heald without any surgery required.
So maybe mention these things to your GP and ask for the pylori test.
I too was thinking stomach or bowel cancer to begin with so its great to be given this peace of mind.
I'm also in my 30's

I know what this kind of problem can be like so good luck people.
|

replied July 12th, 2010
is red bull linked?
I just recently started having this problem also and my husband was quick to blame my daily intake of red bull. So I am wondering, do any of you drink red bull?
|

replied September 25th, 2010
i am a 21 year old female, and for about 8 hours ive been experiencing severe diarrhea, and awful cramps that come with it, however now that theres no poop left, its coming out as mucus full of blood. i feel weak, and have no explanation for any of this happening. i do not have medical insurance, and the hospital closet to me is full of morons who have misdiagnosed me several times, and i had to be treated elsewhere, but that was before my insurance was cut.
as of now, im trying the good old fashioned way: gatorade for hydration and chicken noodle soup like mom says.
but my fear is that the next time i use the bathroom, it will be the same as the last six times i have

is this longterm ? or will my body naturally regulate. my toddler is sick too, this is the reason i dont want to waste a whole day at ST. i suck at medicine practices, because a fussy baby is no fun when momma's fussy too.

i have no constipation problems, i'd say i poop normal usually. eating habits arent so good, but i still dont see myself as unhealthy because of that.

any store bought suggestions? walmart seems to do me better than our crap-tastic local ER
|

replied December 22nd, 2010
I have had the same exact issues, the only that I did not hear mentioned was the vomiting, the pain is so severe that I need a trash can in front of me to catch the projectile vomit. Horrible, absolutely horrible. Well after the similar experience with doctor saying that it was something I ate, and multiple test, I learned that I had UC (ulceration colitis). I take Lialda and if i can't get it under control, I take a steroid. Please the longer it take to seek medical attention the harder it will be to get it under control. You can write me if you would like additional information or just someone to talk to. Good luck to all that suffer with these symptoms.
|

replied November 1st, 2011
Nothing but blood came out when I pooped
I've never had this happend before. I had to go to the bathroom and when I did nothing but blood came out. I didn't have any stomach pain before I went or after. I called my Mother and she said that my Father developed a polyp between the age of 30 & 35. I'm 33 and hope that is just that, but I'm not sure and kinda freaked out. Any idea's?
|

replied November 1st, 2011
Nothing but blood came out when I pooped
I've never had this happend before. I had to go to the bathroom and when I did nothing but blood came out. I didn't have any stomach pain before I went or after. I called my Mother and she said that my Father developed a polyp between the age of 30 & 35. I'm 33 and hope that it's just that, but I'm not sure and kinda freaked out. Any idea's?
The only thing I can think that it might be is gatorade. I have been drinking 1 bottle of Orange gatorade a day while working. Mon-Fri last week and Mon-Tues this week. I'm gonna avoid the gatorade tomorrow and see if that could be it. I doubt it though.
|

replied November 8th, 2011
Things like this only happen to me when I eat gluten, because I suffer from Celiac disease. In the beginning they too thought my crippling pain and severely abnormal bowel movements were caused by stomach cancer, or my gallbladder, they tested my blood for other cancers, clots, etc, had an MRI, but nothing solved it because the disease can only be picked up by a specific blood test. Try not eating gluten for a month, after two or three weeks you should be able to tell a difference if that's your issue (also it's good to avoid it anyway).

Way more people suffer from gluten intolerances that people realize, and doctors don't go offering it up because of this, and also as there is no money for the medical industry to make off of the problem.

Gluten intolerances are not to be taken lightly and can lead to severe malnutrition, dehydration and severely stunted growth in children if unchecked.

I recommend most people suffering from intestinal issues to at least try to go gluten free, and until your intestines have had time to heal avoid dairy at all costs too. I find unsweetened almond milk is a nice alternative to drink until my body can handle dairy again.
There are many gfree products out there nowadays, so it's honestly not as hard as it used to be to maintain at all.

Best of luck to everyone -
|

replied November 27th, 2011
Hi there, I just wanted to note that for some constipation issues it is due to lack of hydration and poor diet. So Drink LOTS of water and eat lots of vegetables and fruit.

Start your day off in the morning with some room temp or warm water with a quarter to a half of a lemon squeezed in there. Drink that about a half hour before you eat breakfast. It should help things.

Then keep drinking water throughout the day. Keep a bottle with you at all times and sip all day. Try to avoid pop, coffee, diary and alcohol as they will just dehydrate you- drink green tea instead of coffee.

And go see a doctor to get check out and then see a Naturopath or Nutritionist so that they can help you set up a healthy diet and lifestyle so that you can heal yourself.

Good luck!
|
12 >>