Medical Questions > Mental Health > Eating Disorders Forum

300 Calories a Day (Page 1)

Hi everone,

i am just wondering how long I will be able to live on about 300 calories a day.....So far it's been a week and I feel okay. My bloodpressure is a little low but so far so good. I exercise twice a week at a gym and off course do sit ups etc. Daily at home. I have lost 5 pounds so far....At least 10 more to go. I ate too much one day and purged but that was hard. I find not eating a lot easier. I still feel in control in a way but no I am on the edge of being anorexic.....
Nicole :cry:
Did you find this post helpful?
First Helper lovetorestrict
|

replied August 31st, 2005
Why
Why on earth do you wan to eat only 300 cal per day?

Are you aware if your body does not have a certain amount of cals then your body with not function properly. For example your metobolisum starts working when you eat and drink. You have to eat food to burn fat and energy.

If you do not eat enough food, your body will retain it and not want to 'loss ' it.

Also if you are planning to lose 15 pounds in total, as soon as you start eating more than 300 cal, and begin a normal diet, you will put put weight straight back on. Thinnk about it. If your body is used to 300 and gets more food, it will ensure weight gain. You need to find a healthly eating plan with balance, and exersize

the reason why people suggest losing 2 pound per week, is because you body adjust in a balance way.

Trust me, I have tried almost every way of dieting there is, and the one that worked was the sensible one.

Good luck.

Cathy
|

I Know
I know you are probably right, but I can't help it. I just hate my body right now and hope I will feel better once I get to 100 pounds. I don't want to gain weight either so I will maintain a low calorie diet once I reach my goal........I just have to loose the weight and won't stop until I am happier with my appearance. I realize it's a dangerous and unhealthy decision but I don't see any other way, I won't be happy before I loose weight.
Nicole
|

replied May 12th, 2012
I feel exactly the same way!
|

I do understand how you feel. I was 7 stone heavier 3 years ago, before... My bf left me, and my father died. I totally lost my appetite, and didn't want to eat at all. I hardly ate a thing for 2 weeks, and put on 4 pounds as my body was holding on to the reserves....

I then forced myself to eat as I felt quite weak, I would eat weetabix for dinner, and rivita with honey ham and tomato., or a fresh tuna and lettuce with black pepper on brown sandwhich - no butter.

One week later I was 7 ponds lighter, then the next 3 weeks I lost 2 stone !!!! It was easier for me as I just didn't feel like eating.

Tuna is a good diet food as its full of protein and takes ages to diguest. This means you stay full for longer, and its very good for you.

Sometimes I blackberries, stawberries and raspberries with yogurt - yummy !! And so healthy.

Remeber to change body shape you don't have to lose weight you can tone it up by excersize and sensible.

I bet if you put your spare energy into doing the right things, you will be plesenlty suprised when you see the results, and feel fit.

How old are you, and whats your height.?
|

|

Nicole,

i calculate you to be 5ft 7inchs. If you aim for 100lbs at your height you would be clinically classed as underweight.

119lb up to 130 pounds is considered normal for your height and age.

If I were you I would do a search for working out bmi ( body max index )
its important you don;t go under weight, as this can have serious impacts on other body functions, and supress concentration.

If you are really that unhappy, work out more and tone yourself up. Well toned models that look great often weigh more than the skinny rack thin ones, and look a millon times better,

good luck,

please email me any time if you want.

Cathy
|

replied September 1st, 2005
Experienced User
100 pounds for your height and age is much to thin for you. Loosing weight is not always about how many calories you eat. Think of it as energy, and by only eating 300 calories, and going to the gym twice a week, you are not giving your body the energy it needs. At your age you should be having approximately 1600 calories per day in your diet. When you don't eat regular meals and snacks during the day, your body becomes overly hungry, stores your fat, and starts to feed off of other nutrients such as proteins. This can be very dangerous to your health as well. Some symptoms you will notice are fatique, dehydration, constipation, light headedness, fainting, intolerance to low temperatures, yellowing of the skin, and even a layer of fine body hair (yuck!). If all these things are worth losing weight to you, then you should think about the more serious side affects such as irregular heartbeat, and cardiovascular failure. The fact that you have low blood pressure is saying that it is already taking a toll on your heart. You could also become anemic, or start to experience renal failure if you are severly dehydrated. Starving yourself is not the proper way to lose weight. You are already very thin so you should be worried about eating healthy (vegetables and fruits all day, 8 glasses of water, not too much red meats), and keeping fit by exercise.
|

replied November 22nd, 2007
i too am on a low calorie diet,approx 400 a day maybe less sometimes.
i feel for you i do and i feel the same way.I need to lose 2 stone and ive tried everything.But since i had an accident last year its left me overwieght and unable to do certain things.Im too embarressed to go to the gym as im fat or even put my self in a swimming costume is a real no no.I do exercise as i have 2 kids and 6 horses to look after but sadly cant ride much cause of the accident,broken back twice now and it really limits me on what i can do.Im at that point in my life now where i really dont care what the consequences as long as i can look good and feel attractive again.Ive ben on this strict diet of which im in control of for 3 weeks and ive lost just half a stone,1 and half to go and then i will just eat very small amounts to maintain the weight.
|

replied December 9th, 2007
When any average female goes under 1000 calories a day, the majority of weight loss is muscle, not fat. You might have a lower number on the scale, but it won't be as strong or firm a body as it would be if you ate healthy and exercised moderately. When you eat such a small amount daily, your body will think you're in a famine and store every extra calorie it can, then when you try to eat even a little more, it will hoard every bite and you'll gain much faster than if you ate healthy but carefully all the time.
|

replied December 11th, 2007
Your ed has lied to you and you're believing it. You believe that you'll be happier when you've reached a certain weight or size but you won't be. Happiness doesn't come in that package.

You need to talk with your parent/guardian(s) or a school counselor. It is imperative to your mental and physical well-being that you move beyond starving your body to attain an unrealistic "ideal" as soon as possible.

Cathy is right, you have to eat a minimum (more than 300 for sure) amount of calories per day to keep up a metabolism that will burn fat. The body goes into "starvation mode" and retains everything that is eaten as fat to make it available in case of another "famine".

Keeping your body in a state of "high alert" will diminish it's ability to function. You'll eventually stop being able to think clearly, your grades and relationships will suffer. Your hair will begin to fall out and become brittle. Your skin will become loose, dry and look yellowish. You will grow fine, thin hair on your face and arms in your body's efforts to keep itself warm. Your eyes will become dull and dry. Your kidneys will slow output and you'll risk kidney failure. Your digestion will slow and you'll be unable to use the bathroom without laxatives. Your heart will eventually become so weakened (it's a muscle and just as prone to wastage as any other muscle in your body) that your chances of heart failure will be exponentially increased every day you continue to fast. If you keep purging you risk irreversible damage to your mouth, teeth, stomach and esophagus as well as sudden cardiac arrest from electrolyte imbalance.

That is NOT the picture of a happy, healthy, beautiful young woman! But if you continue down this path it will be what you get sooner or later.

I know you say you "can't help it" but that's because you're going this alone. Get help NOW. Save yourself from years of repeatedly destroying your life and breaking the hearts of those around you. Is it really that serious...YES it is!

Ed is ugly. Take charge of this now (((hugs)))!

Love, Kelly
|

User Profile
replied January 1st, 2008
I understand why you are doing this... I have an eating disorder and have had since I was 11. But I recently found out that when you starve your body like that it starts eating muscle not only fat... The scary thing to realise is that your heart etc are actually muscles.... and yes your body will start to eat/use up your heart muscle. This is very dangerous and one of the reason a lot of people with eating disorders die from heart failure.

Please see a doctor or a psychiatrist asap *hugs*
|

replied January 2nd, 2008
To answer your question Nicole, follow what your body tells you.
Remember that feeling hungry means your burning fat, but also remember that if you don't eat enough, your body will stop metabolizing food. this means two things.
First, it means you won't burn any fat at all, and will be completely exhausted.
Also, it means that any food you DO eat will be almost completely stored as fat.
In short, you will gain weight instead of losing it.

Instead of limiting calories, I'd suggest first up-ing your exercize.
It's the biggest thing you can do, because it burns fat the fastest.
More food and more exercize together can cause a much better result than starving yourself.

I can't emphasize enough that you shouldn't eat too little.
I've been there.
If you're getting sick or dizzy or light headed, it means you are eating too little. You're only gonna gain weight that way.

I'd also like to say that 100lbs may be too small.
Try talking to someone you admire.
Find out the weights of some celebrities around your height and such.
You might even ask someone who you think is really pretty how much they weigh. I know it can be akward, but I bet you'd be surprised at their answer.

Don't let this get out of control.
An eating disorder is not a fun thing to have, and it's like a drug.
Once you're hooked, you're hooked.

Be smart.
Be positive.
Realize that the way you look shouldn't determine the way you feel about yourself. There are things bigger than the outside of a person.
|

replied January 2nd, 2008
Extremely eHealthy
doodlebug21 wrote:
1600 calories??? Shocked

I'm eating 100-200 calories a day and working out daily.

gizz.
I'd weigh 400 lbs if I ate that much.
I don't think anyone in their right mind would ever eat that much in one day.
That's what I eat in two weeks.

1600 Calories a day is rather normal for people to eat. Eating 100-200 calories a day is ABNORMAL if not stupid. You are eating your body from the inside out.

And NO you wouldn't weigh 400 pounds if you ate 1600 calories a day. Most Normal women eat around that much and exercise regularly and have NO problem losing the weight they desire.
|

User Profile
replied January 11th, 2008
Active User, very eHealthy
And by exercise, we don't mean that you have to spend the whole day in the gym, working out. You can walk, use the stairs instead of the lift, sit correctly, etc!
You will develp malfunctions - some in a very short period of time - if you don't stop doing that.
|

User Profile
Supporter
You're going to kill your body, honey.
Your body is going to start eating your muscles and you will look gaunt and sickly.
You will also stop having your menstrual cycle if you continue to starve your body.
|

User Profile
Active User, very eHealthy
Marianne0558 wrote:
Your body is going to start eating your muscles and you will look gaunt and sickly.
You will also stop having your menstrual cycle if you continue to starve your body.

Those are only a few damages..... many more will come: organs not working, lacking strengh, etc.
|

User Profile
Supporter
v00d00cita wrote:
Marianne0558 wrote:

Those are only a few damages..... many more will come: organs not working, lacking strengh, etc.

Well I know that... I wasn't stating everything that could happen.. I'm sure she knows what is going to happen to her body. People with eating disorders don't see that though
|

replied May 29th, 2008
if you want to be 100lbs
then go for it. if youre exercising as well hopefully you're matabolism wont drop too much. if you work out how many calories you would burn a day and work out the defict hopefully youll see how much youll lose. dont listen to what other people say.. its your body and your life
good luck
xxx
|

User Profile
replied May 29th, 2008
Supporter
Re: if you want to be 100lbs
rublikeafox wrote:
then go for it. if youre exercising as well hopefully you're matabolism wont drop too much. if you work out how many calories you would burn a day and work out the defict hopefully youll see how much youll lose. dont listen to what other people say.. its your body and your life
good luck
xxx

This is a very old post, by the way.
Why would you cheer someone on to starve their body?!
A whopper with no cheese from Burger King has more than 300 calories.
2 coffees have more than that.
If someone were to try to live off of 300 calories a day, they would surely die.
|

User Profile
replied May 29th, 2008
Supporter
Re: if you want to be 100lbs
Marianne0558 wrote:
rublikeafox wrote:
good luck
xxx

This is a very old post, by the way.
Why would you cheer someone on to starve their body?!
A whopper with no cheese from Burger King has more than 300 calories.
2 coffees have more than that.
If someone were to try to live off of 300 calories a day, they would surely die.

Just read the nutrition facts on my poptart.... it has more than 300 calories. 400 to be exact.
A body can't live on that.
Even babies consume more than that.
|
This post is being reviewed to be sure that it adheres to our Community Guidelines.
Thanks for your patience!