Medical Questions > Pregnancy Forum > Pregnancy Forum

Fetus/baby's Death In the Womb

Must Read
What happens during labor? What do contractions feel like? And how do I know that labor has begun? Read on to learn about birthing basics....
Signs of labor occur after 36 weeks of pregnancy. Learn about the difference between real and false contractions. Plus, we outline signs of delivery complicati...
Almost all women worry about the pain of childbirth. Preparing for childbirth includes thinking about how you'd like to cope with the pain of labor. Read on for...
Is it possible not to know if the fetus/baby already died inside the womb? I am on my 22nd week of pregnancy and this situation is worrying me. Sometimes my baby is active but sometimes not. Are there symptoms/signs in case the fetus died inside the womb apart from not feeling any movement at all? Please advise.
Did you find this post helpful?
First Helper First_time_mum
|

replied August 31st, 2005
Extremely eHealthy
Im Sure Baby Is Fine
If you were feeling movement and now nothing at all. Go to dr
baby in the early stages of movemenet, go sometimes a couple of days and you dont feel nothing. Drink sprite and ly down, you will feel him move if you really relax and listen. If baby died you would prolly have really bad symptoms.
|

As fatfamily says, drink a litre of ice cold water and relax for a bit. If you dont feel any movement within a half an hour to an hour, you should contact your doc.
|

Yes you would have really bad symptoms. I went to school with a girl and she lost the baby but didnt really know it yet. She said she was getting really bad cramping. When she went to the er they did an ultrasound and said the baby hadn't made it and the pain was from the fetus decomposing.
This may be graffic but I have read it also during my first pregnancyafter I misscarried and it went into more detail.
|

Extremely eHealthy
Did you feel movement?? Did you call your dr??
Please let us know
|

replied September 1st, 2005
Experienced User
fatfamily02 wrote:
did you feel movement?? Did you call your dr??

Please let us know

the fetus/baby is active yesterday and is quite pleased 'bout it. In case I have to go through those inactive days again, will try dublin's suggestion to drink ice cold water. This might shake my little one a bit :) . But in case I do not feel any movement at all in a day, I will definitely ring my ob asap.
|

replied April 29th, 2012
Hi please don't wait until you haven't felt movement for 1 day. By then it is too late, go to the ER immediately if you don't feel movement after 2-3 hours. I waited 24 hours and found out that my baby had passed in my womb and I was 28 weeks.
|

Experienced User
I met a woman the other week who said that she had lost a number of babies before carrying full term. She told me that if you are in doubt during your pregnancy as to whether your baby is still ok, pinch your nipples and if they hurt, then everything is ok.

I don't think it is meant as in "pinch" but as in "tweek" kind of thing if you know what I mean. And I just want to say, that I don't know if this works or not. She said that it's all to do with the body reacting to the baby's needs or something like that....

(think I might be wittering...Got no sleep last night....My boobs are killing me!!!!!!!)
|

Extremely eHealthy
first_time_mum wrote:
fatfamily02 wrote:
did you feel movement?? Did you call your dr??

Please let us know

the fetus/baby is active yesterday and is quite pleased 'bout it. In case I have to go through those inactive days again, will try dublin's suggestion to drink ice cold water. This might shake my little one a bit :) . But in case I do not feel any movement at all in a day, I will definitely ring my ob asap.

i knew it was okay--sometimes just dont feel them so much in the beginning.

Wonderful glad its okay--so ice water worked. They had me do ice cold sprite--when I was pregnant. Had a lot of times with my daughter I couldnt feel her, but I think its more normal for girls. My boys never stopped once they started to move.
|

replied September 2nd, 2005
Experienced User
fatfamily02 wrote:

i knew it was okay--sometimes just dont feel them so much in the beginning.

Wonderful glad its okay--so ice water worked. They had me do ice cold sprite--when I was pregnant. Had a lot of times with my daughter I couldnt feel her, but I think its more normal for girls. My boys never stopped once they started to move.

its funny you mentioned 'bout your boys. We are expecting a baby boy!
|

replied March 19th, 2009
If foetus is alright in the womb
yes, Also I m so anxious to know if my baby is alright,though i cant feel any movement at14 weeks, I have all other symptoms and I cant go for an ultrasound now,as i had one at 3 months, but i m so worried....
|

replied March 19th, 2009
Especially eHealthy
At 14 weeks you wouldn't feel any movement. You won't begin to feel any movement for another 4-8 weeks if this is your first pregnancy.
|

replied June 9th, 2009
I have a friend who lost her baby at 40 weeks. This happend only 3 weeks ago. He was born stillborn, and to this day they don't know what went wrong.
|

User Profile
replied January 9th, 2010
MY baby
Im getting worried that my baby Is dead or something Is wrong I cant feel no movement like I use too and I dont know why!?!?! Could It be for drinking to much pop or Just a little stress here and there?
|

replied October 26th, 2010
Re: Fetus/baby's Death In the Womb
First_time_mum wrote:
Is it possible not to know if the fetus/baby already died inside the womb? I am on my 22nd week of pregnancy and this situation is worrying me. Sometimes my baby is active but sometimes not. Are there symptoms/signs in case the fetus died inside the womb apart from not feeling any movement at all? Please advise.
doctor A good trick to know if your baby is alive or not go to a calm place without noise block your ears with your fingers you should hear your own heart beat and your baby's heart beat it sound like a racing track but not as loud,
|

replied January 6th, 2012
Is this really true, I don't know if I am getting paranoid because I am overweight, still smoking and am 21 weeks preggers! But I have not felt the baby moving for a whole day now and wondered if there was any methods I could use to put my mind at ease. I did the nipple tweaking as suggested on this page and they deffo hurt! Help.
|

This post is being reviewed to be sure that it adheres to our Community Guidelines.
Thanks for your patience!

replied March 20th, 2013
just as well
i am 23 weeks no sign of fetal movement at all dr said a few weeks back my placenta was in the front but by now i should be feeling her. well guess what nothing! they are not worried but i am freaking this is my third the first two were like aliens my advice seek a outside opinion from a obgyn.. they can perform fetal heart monitoring and assure ur childs safty
|

replied January 14th, 2014
i am 12weeks and i felt butterfly movements when i was only 9to10weeks pregnaet but today i havent felt any movement at all and im woundering is my baby still alive how can i find out if my child is still alive or am i freaking out because im still earlie unto my pregancey and then my stomach 1 day went from hard to instantly soft !!!!! i just wanna no is this normal?
|