Medical Questions > Conditions and Diseases > Skin Forum

Rash Looks Like Ringworm

Must Read
Acne is a common skin condition - but what types of acne can a person have? Start learning about acne here....
Does chocolate or greasy food cause acne? Learn the difference between fact and myth...plus who is at risk for getting acne?...
Severity of acne and symptoms vary by individual. Learn the difference between mild and sever acne here...and when you should seek medical help for acne....
I thought it was ring worm. My 5 year old son has had a rash off and on since he was really little and it is rarely localized, comes and gos it different areas. Then my 6 month old daughter got a similar looking splotch on her cheeks not seeming to spread but ther are other splotches on her lower buttocks and upper thigh??? It does not seem to irritate either they are reddish and very in color intensity... Not sure why. It looks flaky and dry and scaly to the touch. It does not itch or anything?? Let me know if you know what your rash is.
Did you find this post helpful?
First Helper User Profile bamagirl1
|

User Profile
replied August 30th, 2005
Experienced User
Hmmm that is strange. Is your little daughter using a product that could cause this. Possibly some type of shampoo or a lotion you are putting on her. I doubt you are because she is so young but I am just curious. Also she could be allergic to some type of food she is eating.
|

replied August 31st, 2005
I am exclusively nursing and did not started any solids until about 5 1/2 months. I thought that it might be an allergy to the detergent I am using but I have not tried it. Neither my husband or myself have any type of skin allergy.... So it seems to be a mystery. The thing with ringworm is I think it is bothersome and this is not at all.

Thanks for your reply though!
|

replied August 31st, 2005
Oh one other thing... I use a product called mustela, I love it! It is soap free and hypoallergenic so I do not think it is her bath soap or her lotion. I guess I will try washing her stuff in "all" detergent and see what happens.
|

replied September 30th, 2005
Sounds like pityarasis rosea to me.
|

replied October 11th, 2005
Interesting.... We just visited newyork and her skin totally cleared up while we were there???? Likely from the humidity? Now seems to be returning slowly. What to do?
|

User Profile
replied July 1st, 2009
Experienced User
i had pityarisis rosea a few years ago. it just showed up one day one huge spot on my back eventually it spread like wildfire all over me. the doctores dident know why it happened and gave me no cures for it. i started useing blue star ointment on all the spots and after abour 3 months they started going away and that was the end of it. they did itch very bad. other then that that was it. so dont worry should clear up. and its not contagious. good luck to you.
|

replied June 15th, 2012
I had pityriasis last year. It started off as bumps on my stomach and back which I knew was weird because I never break out in those areas. Over a short period of time the bumps started to flatten and were oval in shape. They were on my stomach,under my breast,back, armpits, and a couple on my genital area. I used calamine lotion to relieve the itching. After about 3 weeks it went away. Now about 95% of the spots are completely gone. The other few spots aren't noticeable unless you look really close. The doctors believe it's caused by a virus but aren't sure. But it mostly happens in the fall. It wasn't a horrible experience, but hopefully it won't happen to me again.
|

replied July 10th, 2009
Hello, i have a skin diseases which i dont have an idea about. Both my dermatologist and my internist say its atopic dermatitis. Theyve offered my moisturzers, etc, but it still keeps on coming. But when i've come to this page and researched about this disease, the images that ive come across with are similar with those that i have in may back and in my upper torso. However, what im confused about is that they seem to spread more when ive eaten something like seafoods, etc.

please comment. ive been desperate for the cure you know. Very Happy
|

replied July 11th, 2009
NOT RINGWORM! yay!!
I found an oval pink rash on my stomach a week or two ago and thought nothing of it. I'm hypothyroid and I've missed some of my medication. So i figured it was just dry skin. I noticed it everyday in the shower but didn't notice that the little pink ring with a cream colored center was duplicating and spreading all over my abdomen and chest like...well like a wildfire.

The ring shape made me look online for ringworm and of course I self-diagnosed ringworm. I called my MD and his associate agreed to see me this morning.

Her nurse took a peek and said...'that's not ringworm' Of course I doubted her dooming myself to daily rituals of slathering creams and popping pills - washing my clothes and bed linens in boiling water - and praying I can get rid of it before it gets my son. I felt worse about possibly giving my 4 year old ringworm than me having it myself!

When the MD came in I showed her all the spots I could find. Even dropping trow for her to look at my legs. She looked and looked...shook her head and said 'it's an allergy if anything' I sqeeked REALLY!?

So I return home with my steroid scripts in hand (they're kinda fun [asthma] until you have to go off them - wicked withdrawl) and on the internet I jumped.
With a little further probing into rashes that mimic Ringworm I found... pityarisis rosea. Now THAT actually looked identical to my rash. I HOPE HOPE HOPE it's this very irritating but very NON-contagious pityarisis rosea. I'd sooner suffer EONs before I'd want my little guy to go through it!
|

replied September 7th, 2009
It may be Granuloma Annular, Google image it. I had it when I was in my twenties. I found some information on the condition below...

Granuloma annulare is a common skin condition with raised, flesh-colored bumps that appear in a ring. It may occur on any part of the body (though most commonly on the sides or backs of the hands or feet). The bumps may be red at the beginning, but this disappears as the ring forms. There is no itching or scaling. The rings vary in size from about 1/4 inch to 2 inches in diameter.

No one knows for certain what causes granuloma annulare. It is not an infection. I believe it is probably a slow hypersensitivity reaction that some individuals develop to different types of minor trauma. It may, however, be related somehow to diabetes or thyroidism. Most children with granuloma annulare are healthy and don't go on to develop diabetes, but diabetes does occur more commonly in people who form these rings than in those who don't.

Granuloma annulare usually disappears spontaneously within several months of appearing (though it can take years). In almost half of cases the ring comes back for a while, usually at the original site. Sometimes localized lesions may respond to topical steroid ointments. Some physicians recommend treating this condition with steroid injections, or even stronger medications. Since the ring is usually not bothersome, and usually disappears on its own, I do not routinely recommend treatment. Often these rings will disappear following a small injection of sterile saline, so if treatment is chosen, I would consider this simple, safe method.

I was not injected with saline but Kenalog. He, the doctor, injected small amounts just under the skin of the affected area. It didn't hurt and within a few days they went away and haven't been back since. That was twenty years ago. I also have developed hypothyroidism and am tested regularly for diabetes so there is a link there.

I hope this helps.
|

replied January 30th, 2011
i have a friend who has a ringworm before and its coming again and again that affects his socila life:(. He had been to differrent derma but sadly it goes away in a moment but it comes back until he followed a program. In just a week,no more ringworm and no more breakout.Smile
|

replied February 21st, 2012
I have ring worm like Rashes
Hello, am david, 26 and resident in Lagos State Nigeria and I think am having rashes like ringworm almost all arround my body and its itching seriously. What could it be please and recommend what can be used
|

replied June 15th, 2012
It could possibly be pityriasis Rosea
|

replied June 8th, 2012
So I have read all the cOmments and post. My problem is that my rash looks nothing like any of the pictures. Mine is circular, bumpy with a SMOOTH center, not itchy, just irritating, and only on my right arm and on my buttocks!! What is that?? I too thought it was ringworm but even my doctor doesn't know what it is. Can anyone give me any suggestions??
|

replied July 3rd, 2013
Dr thought It was Lyme"s Bulleye, I am not so sure, please
hello! My 2 year old son has some circles that look like bullseye but with rash around them. I took him to the pediatrician and without a blood test they decided it was Lymes. I've been looking at pictures of the Bulls eye related to Lymes and non of them look to what my son has. Any other idea of what it could be. He has 5 circles with rash and developed them not at the same time> It's been getting a new one every other day. Hopefully somebody here can help me.
|
Tags: rash, touch, skin
Quick Reply