Medical Questions > Mental Health > Anxiety and Stress Forum

I Pull My Hair Out!

Must Read
Learn how doctors clinically diagnose one of twelve kinds of anxiety disorders...and which doctors you should see for an anxiety diagnosis....
Anxiety disorders can affect anyone. But do you know the common signs and symptoms of anxiety disorders? Learn more now....
Anxiety is a normal, healthy emotion when experienced during specific moments. But do you know the signs that anxiety has gotten out of control? Read more here...
Hi im 14 years old and I have stress really bad. I have stress that is called tricotellomania. I've never talked about this before because I was to imbarresed too. Everyone makes fun of me because of how short my hair is. The only reason why im talking about it now is beacsue I feel more comfotable. Can you guys answer my q? Do you know any ways to take away my problem? Thank you so much

love always kacki
Did you find this post helpful?
|

replied August 28th, 2005
Experienced User
I know what ur going through I have the same thing.
|

replied August 30th, 2005
Experienced User
Hi,

i don't know much about your condition but you could check this website, don't know if you will find it useful or not

http://www.Trich.Org/home/

i think that the condition could possibly be linked to anxiety. So you could maybe focus on methods of reducing the stress and anxiety in your life.

Why do you feel you are stressed at the moment?
|

replied August 29th, 2006
I Know How Ya Feel
When I turned 13 almost 3 years ago, my parents got a divorce and I developed a bad habbit... I used to think it was just a phase but after a whole year of doing it, my parents got me some counsiling. I have been in counciling for about 3 years, and it's not helping, I still pull my hair, I dunno if you do this too, but after I pull my hair out, i'll put it in my mouth and bite on it, all the kids at school make fun of me and laugh at how I look... I'm pretty other than my hair, my good friends tell me it looks like I just have short hair... Others have called me some very rude names. I 've tried so manythings to quit, but I still haven't found the right thing... Here's a list of things i've tried some may or may not work on you, I wish you the best.

1.) gum- always having a piece of gum in my mouth
2.) rubberband on my wrist- snap yourself everytime you catch yourself doing it
3.) writting, coloring, painting- something to keep your hands busy.
4.) having parents, friends, or anyone let you know when you're doing it.
5.) hair extensions- they're really expensive, but when I got mine all I could think about was how good it felt to have long hair again. That worked for a while.
6.) painting your fingernails so it's harder to grab a piece of hair.
7.) wearing bandages around your finger that you pull with so it's harder.
8.) having somthing smooth in your hands like a small rock or something to rub on whenever you feel an urge
9.) a mouth guard, if you bite it, then it's almost impossible to do it with one in.
10.) having a pen or pencil to fiddle with when you get an urge.
11.) having your parents punish you from something that you love, or do everyday.
12.) wearing a hat- so you can't get to your hair.
13.) wearing gloves so it's hard to pull.
14.) brushing your teeth constantly.
15.) taking showers constantly, so you hair doesn't feel the same when you pull it.
16.) wearing gel or something to make your hair harder to pull .
17.) picking up a hobby, something that can keep you busy, like running, playing a sport, playing the computer, or something like that.
18.) counsiling may work for you, but so far it hasn't worked for me.
19.) getting hypnotized to stop, I only tried this a couple times, and gave up, but some people say it takes more than a couple days to start working.
20.) try to reward yourself when you don't do it. Say if you don't do it for a whole day then you can go out and buy yourself something, or you parents can take you out to eat.
21.) antidepressant pills, also, an add medison like ridolen or straterra may work I knew a lady who took ridolen and stopped right away, didn't even have to try.
22.) if you're religious, pray... I'm not but I tried praying for a while.
23.)don't avoid doing things because you're afraid of what people might think about you, i've learned that if you're out doing something, it keeps you busy.

I'm no professional, but if I can help, that's what I want to do. If you've tried anthing different than me let me know, and if I think of anymore i'll sure as heck let you know. I kow I always feel like a loner, like nobodyelse know how I feel , or what i'm going through. But getting around that helps a little knowing that you're not the only one in the world.Let me know if any of these things helped you, keep my updated.
<3 <3
|

replied September 6th, 2006
Experienced User
Stress
Don't feel too bad, I have it too. Mine only shows up when i'm really stressed. My problem is that i'll pull my hair while i'm sleeping. My bf usually wakes up and holds my hand to make me stop. Sometimes I catch myself doing it, but rarely. I've started to reduce my stress and it works somewhat. I only occasionally do it now...Especially when I have an important decision to make or when money matters are at hand.
|

replied March 14th, 2009
I have the same problem...

Pull my baite out and bite it...

Its a really weird habit when you think of it... i developed it a few years ago. I started pulling out my eyebrows when I was tressing over tests or school stuff. Now I moved to pulling out leg, arm, chest and head hair... I get bald patches periodically and its a hard habit to quit. I think habits are breakable if you an resist for 21 days. which is a LONG time. I can go a week without doing it with the most focus ever, but the problem is I enjoy the feeling, the sting and etc..

I have tried a few of the mentioned methods, but hypnotism and counseling were out of my price range...

NOTHING HAS worked, got any ideas?
|

replied May 18th, 2009
pulling out my hair and running it through my mouth
hi

i catch my self doing allllll day!
i dont know what to do for it and i am really worried

i reasently saw a new comercial for a show called obsessed and there is some girl on there that has ocd and pulls out her hair like me and now she is allmost bald.

sense seeing that i am getting even more stressed and now my hair is falling out in clumps.

I need help!
what do i do?
|

User Profile
replied May 28th, 2009
I have lots of issues, OCD, GAD, Bipolar, etc, and i ALWAYS am pulling on my hair. i do it in my sleep, i do it almost all the time. Its so very annoying. I pull and twirl but dont intentionally pull it out. Dont be ashamed of it. There is nothing to be ashamed of.
|

replied August 16th, 2009
i pull my hair all the time too....i never thought it was a problem until i would hide int he bathroom and pull out all my split ends and pull my hair out..now i have long hair and i pull the back of my hair making my hair look shorter..its like a stress relief to me..its weird..
|

replied January 12th, 2011
Advice
I have the same thing. The only thing I can say is that it will get better with time. Been dealing with it for 9 years now (I'm 21) and I still have my days wher I'm watching tv and catch my self pulling my hair out. I no longer have bald spots but the back of my scalp is perm. thinner. What I did when I was in school was my teachers had a key word they would say to let me know to stop. And my family and fiancÃƒï¿½Ã¯Â¿Â½ÃƒÂ¯Ã‚Â¿Ã‚Â½Ãƒï¿½Ã¯Â¿Â½Ãƒï ¿½Ã‚© also help me by grabbing my hand or pointing it out to me. Good luck girl! Hope this helps
|