Medical Questions > Conditions and Diseases > Appendix and Appendicitis Forum

Sternum Problems (Page 1)

Must Read
How do you know if abdominal pain is caused by appendicitis or not? First know where to locate the appendix in your body. Learn more here....
Classic symptoms of appendicitis include pain in the center of the abdomen that moves down and to the right. Learn more about signs and symptoms of appendix pr...
Understand how to diagnose appendicitis and abdominal pain correctly. Appendicitis may be the cause of your discomfort but symptoms vary. Learn more now. ...
I have some kind of problem with I sternum. The problem is I can feel pressure in the sternum area. I also feel my sternum cracking like a knuckle would every day starting at the top of my chest down to the middle of my chest were the sternum ends. Sometimes I feel so much pressure then I have to bend backwards so the sternum area will crack again like a knucle would and the pressure then goes away. But then I can still feel some type of pressure. It almost feels like the joints are so tight that when I do strech out the joints now have room for blood to circulate. The problem is causing me to not get sleep due to tossing and turning and discomfort. Please help.........
Did you find this post helpful?
First Helper User Profile Anonymous
|

replied June 19th, 2004
Anonymous
Sternum Cracking
Hey,
i have the same thing. Could it be from the heart increasing in size and putting pressure up against the front chest cavity? I do not believe it is normal and am very concerned as well. Need to get to the bottom of this. -dave m. Confused
|

replied June 23rd, 2004
Sternum
Finally. Somebody else has this problem. When I throw my shoulders back all of my ribs crack in the back, when I move my shoulders forward they crack in the front. I know this is not normal. Please let me know if you have any answers.
|
Did you find this post helpful?

replied July 15th, 2004
Anonymous
Me Too
Me too, and i've had it since I was a teenager (i'm 30 now). Except, with me, I have a lot of pain associated with it, and specifically focused on the left side, both in the back and the front.
|

replied December 5th, 2004
Anonymous
Experiencing the Same Thing
Sad i've also been having this same problem. I am 25 years old and have extreme back pain as well as a sore and cracking sternum. I have been very worried about this because it doesn't seem like a normal thing to happen. I do have a long history of asthma; since I was 7 years old. I have often wondered if this is the cause of the problem because asthma stretches out the lungs and ribcages. Any help on this would be appreciated.
|

replied December 8th, 2004
Re: Experiencing the Same Thing
I have the same problem I have scoliosis, cervical arthritis, and degeneration of several disc in my spine, I too have this weird chest cracking and it hurts like hell when I breath and then sometimes the popping and cracking make it go away, but sometimes it does not crack at all. And I have difficulty breathing when laying on my side when sleeping (major shortness of breath). I had x ray's done today. My doctor say's that it is probably an abnormality of the cartlidge that is attacheed to the sternum (i was born with a pigeon brest) but have no outsticking bone anymore. I wonder if that has anything to do with it. But it sure feels like getting a heart attack (i'm 39) female.

But all this thing seems to be a major medical mystery, doctors frawn when you tell them your chest is cracking. They think you are lying and make up all kinds of other things, that you might think that you are hearing. As if you don't know your own body.
|

replied December 10th, 2004
Sternum Craking
I've had this same problem for about four or five years, and i've seen so many different doctors and they all tell me that they can't find anything on the x-rays so I must be okay. But when I pull my shoulders back I get this painfull pulling feeling across my chest and it causes me to not be able to breath and when it finally cracks i'm in so much pain I can hardly move. The doctor did give a priscription for codine, for when the pain is really bad and my chest won't crack. They said it would relax me and it would crack on its own. They also gave me toridol which i'm only supposed to take when I can't stand the pain. The one thing I want to know... If they can't find anything wrong why would they give me two very strong medicines???
|

replied December 18th, 2004
Anonymous
" have the same thing. Could it be from the heart increasing in size and putting pressure up against the front chest cavity? I do not believe it is normal and am very concerned as well."

last week I had chest pains and I went to doctor and they shot x-rays of my chest and said everything was ok.... And I to have that cracking feeling and I am going to go talk to doctors right away to get it fixed... I am 20 so I still have a chance... But then again.... Open chest surgery?....
|

replied January 3rd, 2005
Anonymous
Crack! Goes the Sternum..
Well I too have had this problem for a couple of years.

I know that I have caused it from the way I lay on the lounge all scrunched up. It causes my shoulders to come forward which in turn causes the tightness in the chest area.

When I am able to crack the sternum it feels like such a relief.. But last night, my boyfriend grabbed me for a hug, and caused some sort of misalignment in this chest area, and it felt like my heart and all other organs were being pinned in between my shoulderblade and the chest.

I could hardly sleep and I have tried all sorts of different stretches and poses to try and get the thing to crack...

Has anyone found a good stretch that works most times for cracking the sternum???
|

replied January 13th, 2005
Chest Crackers: We're Not Alone!
Caution: if you have chest pain, have an ekg done to rule out any heart problems.

Disclaimer: I am not a doctor. Please, seek professional medical advice if you are experiencing chest pain.

Http://www.Orthopedicquestions.Com/mes-chi ropractor/1121.Html

resources:
http://www.Emedicine.Com/emerg/topic116.Ht m (updated: dec. 17, 2004)
http://www.Emedicine.Com/ped/topic487.Htm (updated: sep. 15, 2004)
http://www.Emedicinehealth.Com/articles/50 58-1.Asp
http://www.Drcherry.Org/sept28_pf.Htm ("costochondritis-the heart attack that wasn't")
http://www.Diagnose-me.Com/cond/c598186.Ht ml
http://www.Ncemi.Org/cse/cse0503.Htm

my story:
my chest started cracking after I started lifting heavy weights. I used to workout often. I'm a female in my 30s, small frame, weighing less than 100lbs. I consider myself to be in pretty good shape; I used to jog and could do 50 pushups easily. (i can't do any pushups now though.) during my workouts, I noticed that doing dips (26) my sternum would hurt quite a bit. My sternum would also hurt during chest presses (swimmers press, etc.) and pushups. Anyway, the pain gets to be so bad that it keeps me up at night. Now, i'm in pain 24 hours a day. The doctor diagnosed me with costochondritis: inflammation of the costal cartilage. It's fairly simple to diagnose, once you rule out heart problems: palpation of the area reveals tenderness--that is, if it hurts to press your sternum anywhere between the 3rd and 6th ribs (middle of your chest), and you have the most common symptoms (hurts when you take a deep breath or cough, there is cracking of the chest), then it is very likely that you have costochondritis. I had an ekg done first, of course. All my other vitals are excellent.

Symptoms: may seem similar to gerd or myocardial infarction (heart attack). The pain starts as sharp and stabbing, and may radiate (usually towards the left area of your chest). I would feel a shooting pain up the left side of my chest. Often, when the pain radiates it feels like a bubbling (fizzing) throughout my chest.

Costochondritis

what is costochondritis? Inflammatory process of one or more of the costochondral cartilages that causes localized tenderness and pain of the anterior chest wall. There is clear inflammation at junction of rib. It's not in any way a dangerous condition but may take many months to settle in some cases.

Goal: reduce inflammation.

Treatment: I take ibuprofen and use a pain relieving cream (e.G., ben-gay or other) at night. If you obtained ibuprofen without a prescription, do not take it for more than 10 days for pain without talking to a doctor. Ibuprofen may cause an upset stomach. Take ibuprofen with food. I take 2 tablespoons of aloe vera juice before taking any pain pills.

Plenty of rest and no movements that strain your upper body are recommended. I can't even carry my backpack (which weighs less than 10 pounds) for more than 7 minutes. You may have to modify your posture. Sitting for an extended period may also cause pain.

How long will it take to heal? Depends on your injury. If you indeed have inflammation of the costal cartilage, you need to reduce the inflammation. I've read that it has taken people anywhere from 2 months to a year!

Cause: many cases have no known cause (idiopathic), but some are caused by direct trauma to the chest (hard tackle, car accident, etc.) or extreme exertion affecting the chest area (as in heavy weight lifting).

I hope this helps answer some of your questions.
|

replied January 20th, 2005
Anonymous
Cracking Sternum
Yeah I geuss im not alone. I originally thought it was a result of working out improperly but now im wondering if its something else. My sternum cracks when I stand up and throw my shoulders back to release the pressure. My sternum cracks and is usually followed by a light to massive head rush in this case sometimes I black right out and expierence only what I can call temporary amnesia. Where I forget who I am where I am and how to stand up properly. So it seems I have it worse than most.
I am only 21 and have had this problem scince 19 and hope it doesnt worsen. So hey you are not alone and at least you guys dont black out.
|

replied February 2nd, 2005
Re: Cracking Sternum
jesse kozma wrote:
yeah I geuss im not alone. I originally thought it was a result of working out improperly but now im wondering if its something else. My sternum cracks when I stand up and throw my shoulders back to release the pressure. My sternum cracks and is usually followed by a light to massive head rush in this case sometimes I black right out and expierence only what I can call temporary amnesia. Where I forget who I am where I am and how to stand up properly. So it seems I have it worse than most.

I am only 21 and have had this problem scince 19 and hope it doesnt worsen. So hey you are not alone and at least you guys dont black out.

you *must* stop cracking your ribs/sternum. Passing out is downright worrisome. You might want to have a doctor check you out.

for some reason when I post it, it is modified. Anyway, there is a very long thread there about chest cracking. Read the post by david ("some answers"), dated 1/27/2005.

Anyway, i've been on anti-inflammatories for about two weeks. I no longer intentionally crack my chest; it just happens sometimes when I pull or move in some particular way. Afterwards, I experience quite a bit of pain.
|

replied February 10th, 2005
Anonymous
I'm 19.

Yeah, it was about 2 years ago when I arched my chest forward and streched back and noticed for the first time that I can click my ribs.

It started with a pop, but after a while, it developed into a chain of cricks, much like when I crick all of my knuckles.

At first I thought it was pretty neat,
then I started worrying that if I do it too often, it'll cause a fracture in my sternum.

I'm prone to anxiety so I always worry about my sternum breaking and my ri b-cage bursting open and stuff like that.

Well, for the last year now it has been acheing from time to time.

Sometimes it just feels brittle and stiff, alot of the times it won't click.

Which makes it hard to show people, because I only need to click it once every 2 days or something.

It aches when i'm doing stuff.

I get spots on the area aswell, and i'm not that much of a spotty person.

I also get chest pains, I had a rib problem which started around the same time, apparently I have a 'floating rib', but apparently the bottom ribs are floating anyway. Either way... One of the ribs sticks out more than normal and the other one sticks in more than normal, and the other side of the cage is fine. It happened suddenly, I noticed it when I led down and seen the difference.

One doctor said I should put a small blanket under the opposite side of my back to properly align them, I don't know.

I also have a knee problem, it crunches when I walk down stairs, but not when I walk up.

I also have a jaw problem, tmj I think, which is recent.

All of these things are in the right side of my body, except for the sternum, could it be a pattern?

My posture has always been pretty bad, and i've been told before that I need to keep my shoulders back and my head up and my butt in and my stomach tensed. But i'm lanky... It's really difficult to change.

I also sit down for long periods of time.

Doctors seem to be unhelpful and I kinda feel like nobody gives a damn.

|

replied March 20th, 2005
I sort of have this problem as well and I it is most noticable when I do dips or heavy tricep presses as noted above.
But recently it has been getting better, and now I only feel pain when I pull or injure a muscle in the area. I've also noticd that the pain tend to radiate to your back and recently I pulled my trap muscle, which caused some pain in my sternum.

I feel that with proper, graduated exercise the condition becomes less severe.
|

replied March 29th, 2005
I have only had this ailment for a few months. Mine seemed to develop from mild trauma (i was lifting my 16 year old son) and poor posture (i was working hunched over a laptop) when I leaned back that day, there was a very audible pop. The next morning, I noticed bruising in my mid chest, which went away over the next few weeks. I have a feeling of discomfort which is relieved when my chest (upper mid-third of my sternum) 'pops'. On a good day, it may pop only two to three times, but on a bad day, it can pop twenty or more times. My doctor had a ct done (on a good day in its 'popped' aspect, (normal) and is referring me to an orthopedic surgeon. Although the popping is better and I am able to lift 'normal' small amounts, I would like to know what my limits should be and what can be done to improve the condition. Reading your stories helps me to know that, while not normal, it happens to others. I have found that coughing or sneezing will pop the joint - whether or not that is a good thing (i would not want it to 'heal' in the unpopped position due to the discomfort associated with that) remains to be seen...
|

replied April 21st, 2005
Anonymous
Costochondritis
helllo, I have this problem. It is called costochondritis. I have been to my chiropractor about it. He has done physo on my sturnum and it is starting to feel better. He says do not pop it. If I have to sneez of cough, cross my arms over my chest and grab my opposite shoulders whit each hand, and it will hold it in place. Dont pop it it will make it worse. Just rest and dont strain the ligaments that hold you ribs to your sturnum. I hope this helps some one :d
|

replied May 9th, 2005
Anonymous
Chest Tightness And Heart Beating Fast
I have been having anxiety attacks and heart rate is up and chest hurts like I pulled a muscle could it be from that? Please reply
|

replied May 13th, 2005
Anonymous
Tx By Osteopath
Many sternum issues
are helped by a tx from
an osteopathic physician;
check yellow pages under
physicians and surgeons--d.O.
|

replied May 14th, 2005
Anonymous
I Have This to
I have had this chess cracking problem for over 3 years now,,started at 25 and now im 28 and I have been to docotrs and no doctor has ever even hear dof this,ive only been able to demonstrate this to one doctor ,when he heard it he was in shock,ive gone to pain spricalists and theni cant seem to crack it at will..They look at me like I have no idea what im talkin about..Its becomeing every painful on my back aswell always cracking my cheast.Im getting very desperate and dont know hat to do..If anyone has any new advice please let me know

|

replied June 5th, 2005
Solution -re: Chest (sternum) Cracking
Caution: if you have chest pain, have an ekg done to rule out any heart problems.

Disclaimer: I am not a doctor. Please, seek professional medical advice if you are experiencing chest pain.

More stories: http://www.Orthopedicquestions.Com/mes-chi ropractor/1121.Html (change this url to all lower case!)
Solution:
after 5 months of being in pain, taking relafen, naprosyn, (plus one week on a steroid drug), not being able to sleep on my side, not being able to workout or carry anything at all, I can finally say with confidence that I am on my way to full recovery. I couldn't be happier. What did I do? I modified my diet, got plenty of rest, and made sure I took my vitamins daily. The most important part of this is the modification of diet. Cut back on protein intake, remove processed foods and sugar and 'table' salt as much as possible from diet, add fruit and carrot juice to diet. I used to eat about 2 protein bars daily, a protein drink, plus 6oz of tuna fish daily. My protein intake was about 3 times more than recommended for someone of my weight. The problem is that eating too much protein can lead to over-acidity of the tissues which contributes to degenerative disorders. Those darn free radicals are killing you slowly! I attribute joint pains and many more "diseases" to excess of free radicals in the body. You need to consume foods that will send out little soldiers that kill those free radicals.

Excerpt from http://www.Danmahony.Com/antiox1.Htm (change this url to all lower case!)
"try to avoid consuming too much protein. It is a myth that a diet that is high in protein is good for you as it puts a strain on the liver and kidneys and leaches out important minerals such as calcium, zinc, iron, and magnesium from the body. The by products of protein metabolism can be toxic to the body and encourage free radical damage to the cells. Eating too much protein can also lead to over acidity of the tissues which contributes to degenerative disorders, such as heart disease and cancer. On an anti oxidant diet the recommended dosage of protein is between 30-50mg. Avoid meats such as pork as it is a meat with too much antibiotic residue, and it is also the most acid forming in the body. Reduce intake of too much red meat."

My typical diet
Breakfast: oatmeal w/water, cinnammon, and maple syrup (i know I shouldn't :-), no salt. 4oz carrot or mango juice (naked brand).
Mid-morning snack: 1 banana
Lunch: green peas, corn, 6oz tuna fish and apple cider vinegar or a gardenburger garden vegan burger patty (from wholefoods) or brown rice and 6oz tuna fish; 4oz pomegranate & grape juice (naked brand).
Mid-afternoon: kavli crackers and kamut puffs cereal
Dinner: nature's plus spiru-teen high protein energy meal (non-gmo; strawberry flavor) in 4oz water and 5 or 6oz silk soy milk. Kavli crackers and kamut puffs cereal. Sometimes I have 4oz tuna fish also.
Evening: occassionly, i'll have some green tea. It really is good for you!
Water:
50-70 oz of distilled water throughout the day; not with meals though.
Supplements:
i also take 1 glocosamine chondroitin capsule 2 or 3 times a day. Each capsule contains 500mg of glocosamine hydrocloride, 400mg of chondroitin sulfate and 95mg of sodium.
Of course, I take 1 multi-vitamin capsule twice a day (activit brand); 1 garlic capsule; a 500mg capsule of calcium twice a day.
Resources of interest:
Oxidative stress - the silent inflammation!
Http://www.Getalife.Net.Au/mag/oxistress_h tml
Antioxidant-loaded fruits
http://my.Webmd.Com/content/article/104/10 7640.Htm?Pagenumber=2

I hope you'll find this information helpful. God bless!

My story:
my chest started cracking after I started lifting heavy weights and starting a very high protein diet. Couldn't sleep on my side, because my chest would hurt. I would occassionally crack my chest myself after a tough workout. I discovered it cracked one day while I was stretching. Then the cracking happened more often (at least once a day) unintentionally when I make some movement that stretched my chest.

I used to workout often. I'm a female in my 30s, small frame, weighing less than 100lbs. I considered myself to be in pretty good shape; I used to jog and could do 50 push-ups easily. (then I couldn't do any pushups at all.) during my workouts, I noticed that doing dips (26) my sternum would hurt quite a bit. My sternum would also hurt during chest presses (swimmers press, etc.) and push-ups. Anyway, the pain got to be so bad that it was keeping me up at night. Then, I was in pain 24 hours a day. The doctor diagnosed me with costochondritis: inflammation of the costal cartilage. It's fairly simple to diagnose, once you rule out heart problems: palpation of the area reveals tenderness--that is, if it hurts to press your sternum anywhere between the 3rd and 6th ribs (middle of your chest), and you have the most common symptoms (hurts when you take a deep breath or cough, there is cracking of the chest), then it is very likely that you have costochondritis. I had an ekg done first, of course. Mine was normal. All my other vitals are excellent.

Symptoms:
may seem similar to gerd or myocardial infarction (heart attack). The pain starts as sharp and stabbing, and may radiate (usually towards the left area of your chest). Sometimes, just sitting at my computer I would feel a sharp shooting pain up the left side of my chest. Often, when the pain radiates it feels like a bubbling (fizzing) throughout my chest. While i'm hopped up on ibuprofen, the pain feels more like a tightness in the middle of chest. When the pain flares up, it can cover my entire chest. It never really goes away; I have varying degrees of pain. You may also experience rapid heart beat occassionally.
|
Quick Reply