Medical Questions > Conditions and Diseases > Gout Forum

Lime Juice Instead of Baking Soda ?

Must Read
Gout is a common type of arthritis and accounts for about 5% of all cases of arthritic condition. But what is gout and what are the stages of this condition?...
Gout manifest for physical reasons...but what puts you at a greater risk of developing the disease? What risk factors should you avoid?...
Gout present symptoms mainly in the joints. Learn which signs to look for, and when you should seek medical help and diagnosis of gout....
Jyy2... Your website is very interesting and informative. Based on my reading lime juice even though it is acidic is supposed to be alkaline causing in the body. It is supposed to have an alkalinity of close to 7. If this is true, will drinking of lime juice instead of baking soda have the same effect with less side effects ?

Your thoughts

-- m
Did you find this post helpful?
|

replied August 24th, 2005
Experienced User
I have read numerous claims that lime, cranberry, and pomegranate juices are beneficial to gout because of their "alkaline forming" property. But I have not seen any study or testimonial that shows they are actually beneficial to gout. In the contrary people complained about cranberry juice triggered their gout. While lime, cranberry, and pomegranate juices have relatively high mineral content, they also have much higher acid content. That is why they are very acidic. (ph of lime juice is 2~2.8; cranberry, 2.3-2.5; and pomegranate, 2.9~3.2.) it is beyond my comprehension that acidic foods and drinks can have magical property to become alkaline. I would stay away from them if I had gout. You may like to read an old thread on similar discussion at: http://ehealthforum.Com/health/topic13502. Html .
|

replied December 22nd, 2008
gout and lime juice
this is first day my big toe has felt good for three weeks. i read where cranberry juice only brings on more gout. i drink 1/2 gallon a week, could this be the problem? thanks for your time.
robert schlorff
cameron,mo..
|

replied December 22nd, 2008
Glad your big toe feels good. Do you mean it could be the result of stopping cranberry juice intake?

Cranberry juice is very acidic, ph=2.3~2.5. For people whose kidneys are deficient in excreting acids, cranberry juice can cause the blood to become more acidic to trigger and prolong gout attacks.

There are medical tests for determining if the kidneys are deficient in excreting acids. You may be able to find out if cranberry juice causes your gout by alternatively drinking no cranberry juice for weeks and then drinking a lot of it for weeks . In case cranberry juice causes your gout, you may like to avoid cranberry juice, as well as, other low pH foods and drinks. pH of foods and drinks can be found using a simple Google keyword search "alkaline acid ph of food".
|

replied March 29th, 2010
Gout-free naturally
If lime does help gout symptoms it is more a matter of the antioxidants it contains than the pH. For these to have any effect, the limes need to be fresh and not pasteurized, weeks old juice in a bottle and, as is generally the case, made from concentrate and diluted with town water.

I have found Kakadu Juice taken at twice the recommended level for general health improvement, to totally stop any symptoms of gout for over 2 and a half years now. I also still enjoy meats, bread (daily), beer (sometimes quite a few), prawns and all the things which I couldn't eat previously.
|

replied July 26th, 2010
Gout
I have been using the fresh squeezed juice of 1 medium to large lime daily and it is working wonders. A side note I have attacks in my knee and foot not toe.
|