Medical Questions > Womens Health > Sexual Health - Women Forum

Shaving Pubic Hair (Page 1)

Must Read
Menstruation is a woman's normal monthly menstrual period. But what are the signs of abnormal periods? When is vaginal bleeding serious?...
Regular vaginal bleeding vagina is a sign of healthy menstruation. What signs and symptoms point to menstrual problems? Read on to learn the difference....
Menstrual irregularity means that something is wrong. Learn how to identify the signs and symptoms of an irregular period to prevent larger problems later...
I was just wondering what people find the best and most long lasting way of getting rid of pubic hair, I shave mine but it grows in by almost the next day and then I have to wait untill it gets to a longer length to shave it again but the shaving sometimes gives me spots so I was looking for a better way to get rid of the unwanted hair. Any advice?
Did you find this post helpful?
First Helper wife_and_mom4life
|

replied August 23rd, 2005
Extremely eHealthy
Nair
|

replied August 23rd, 2005
Extremely eHealthy
Also the brazilian wax, which I could never do (ouch much?)
but ive had friends who have and say it works.
|

replied August 24th, 2005
Experienced User
Get laser hair removal..Its pricey but permanent!
|

replied December 10th, 2005
Brazilian Wax,
Try anything but brazilian wax, it hurts like hell ( I did it once and wont do it ever again)
|

replied December 21st, 2005
Wat types of removal creams are best to use around your vagina b/c arent there some that will do damage?
|

replied December 27th, 2005
Hey, this is kind of embarrassing but i've come across a horrible rash with small red bumps which is itchy too. This was my first time, and I don't think I will ever shave my bikini line again. I was just wondering if anyone else has experienced the same thing, and if so, how do you get rid of it??
|

replied December 20th, 2011
It happens because it was your first time shaving there. I use a regular razzer for shaving mens head and I use a 1/2 inch blade. But for shaving my bikini line, I use a regular razzer in the shower. You might want to use shaving cream for the first couple of times and if it still itches and has red bumps for more than a few weeks(2 at the most), you might want to go to the doctor.
|

replied December 20th, 2011
It happens because it was your first time shaving there. I use a regular razzer for shaving mens head and I use a 1/2 inch blade. But for shaving my bikini line, I use a regular razzer in the shower. You might want to use shaving cream for the first couple of times and if it still itches and has red bumps for more than a few weeks(2 at the most), you might want to go to the doctor.
|

Experienced User
I always apply aloe after shaving my bikini area, and it seems to help a little bit.
|

Experienced User
Tips On Shaving
Hey everyone! Kind of an embarrasing subject huh? Nothing to be embarrased about really... Lots of women shave. I have been shaving my pubic area (all of it) for about 5 years now. When I first started shaving, those little bumbs did appear when he hair started to grow back, and it was very irrated and itchy. But, once I got myslef in a routine (pattern), it wasn't so bad anymore. I shave once a week (the same day every week) and this decreases the bumbs and itching. Also, I shave with a thick conditioner, it makes the skin softer and it allows you to see the hair (where as most shaving creams are to thick covering the hair) which is a good thing because you will know when the hair is gone without having to press to hard with the razor. I use a triple blade razor (a more expensive one) because the single blade cheaper ones tend to leave you with little nicks and cuts. After I shave I always apply a coco butter lotion all over. Once you shave for a while, it seems to get much easier. I hope my tips help those of you out who need it!

God bless and good luck,
teresa
|

replied November 15th, 2011
this was so helpful, thanks 'wife_and_mom4life' !!
|

User Profile
replied December 30th, 2011
what should i do about my pubic hair because im only a teen and its getting out of control. its kind of embarrassing but what should i do because my mom keeps saying that i dont need to worry about it, i cant take it anymore because it is really itchy and i havent done anything,and im embarrased to wear a swimsuit because im afraid it will show out the sides!!!! please tell me what i should do!!! Sad
|

replied February 19th, 2012
One thing you can do is just trim it down with some sharp scissors, and shave your bikini line. This will prevent the hair from poking out from your swim suit and spare you from itching which often comes with shaving your entire pubic area for the first time. Keeping yourself well groomed is an important part if growing up and is completely normal and is nothing to be embarrassed about. Hope this helped. Smile
|

User Profile
replied December 29th, 2005
Extremely eHealthy
I did laser hair removal myself it is a blessing. What you can try if laser hair removal is not a choice (since it is very expensive) then is try those noxema bikini razors. I think those little razors are wonderful, really do shave nicely and no red bumps. I can recommend to anyone.
|
Users who thank nightangel73 for this post: PlacidIntricacy 

User Profile
replied January 4th, 2006
Extremely eHealthy
With the laser hair removal..Does that take the hair away forever...Or a certain amount of time...And how expensive is it?
|

replied March 2nd, 2012
Laser Hair Removal - Bikini
Laser hair removal takes about 6 treatments & costs around $500. It is wonderful!! And, yes, forever. Reputable places that do it will offer a 2 year guarantee after the last treatment.
|

replied January 4th, 2006
I shave all my pubic hairs, and at first, I did get the little red bumps, but they're gone now, hardly ever get them. What I do is use a shaving cream for sensitive skin, a man razor, and put this product called bikini zone on afterwards. Works like a charm!

I've done the waxing thing too, and I liked it, but it is kind of pricey, and I dont know if I trust myself doing it to myself >.<

hope that helps=)
|

replied January 9th, 2006
Experienced User
Also, to add to what everyone else said, when you start out, dont shave totally against the grain of the hair. Shave with it, or I find that shaving sideways gives me the smoothest shave with no bumps. Also wear comfortable underwear that wont rub hard on your bikini area.
|

User Profile
replied January 9th, 2006
Extremely eHealthy
~*~jillian~*~ wrote:
with the laser hair removal..Does that take the hair away forever...Or a certain amount of time...And how expensive is it?

yes it does take the hair away forever. It is being two years for me by now and the hair has not grown back. The price will be according to how much you want off. If you want only two inches it will be around $400, an extended one would be around $700 and the whole thing which is called "the brazillian package" you are looking at $1300. You do have to shop around and do research. I do go to an upper scale laser place. I would think derms offices might be cheaper. Also if you are intersted and say you are interested in having the perianal done too you have to find out if the laser place will do that and so on. Feel free to ask me as I know quite a bit. I'm doing now my legs and my underarms.
|

replied January 10th, 2006
I shave my bikini line but what is the safe way of doing the hair that grows around the vagina area. Obviosuly a razor cannot be used here so how do I go about getting rid of this hair without waxing?
|

Experienced User
Frizzy, you can use a razor over your whole pubic area. At least I do. I have been shaving all of my pubic hair for almost 2 years now, and I think I always will. Obviously, you have to be more careful when you're shaving the area closest to your vagina, but shaving with a razor will work just fine. What I would suggest is when you're taking a shower, sit down in the bathtub with your legs open. You get a much better angle that way.
|

Experienced User
I also use a razor over the whole area. I have never once cut myself, either. Just make sure you use a good razor-not a disposable. I use the venus razor, and it works great.
|

Experienced User
I also use a razor over the whole area. I have never once cut myself, either. Just make sure you use a good razor-not a disposable. I use the venus razor, and it works great.
|

User Profile
Extremely eHealthy
frizzy_locks wrote:
i shave my bikini line but what is the safe way of doing the hair that grows around the vagina area. Obviosuly a razor cannot be used here so how do I go about getting rid of this hair without waxing?

my recomandtion again is the noxema bikini little razors. They do give the perfect angle to shave the hair near the vaginal area and no cuts. The blades of that little razors are made just for that.
|

replied January 13th, 2006
Experienced User
So Much Fuss
So much fuss abt shavin dat hair. Is it mandatory? Why get hurtwhen you can use a scissors to reduce the volume of hair and life goes on?
|

replied June 18th, 2011
When your man wants it shaved, it's shaved.
|
Users who thank jjrushhh for this post: LeahAnn 

replied June 18th, 2012
Unless you don't do everything your "man" tells you to do just because he says to... must be very weak to be controlled by a "man" right down to whether or not you want to shave your pubic hair. Pathetic.
|

replied July 5th, 2012
I'm sorry but your reply pissed me off. Just because some of us women like looking neat and well kept for our men doesn't make us pathetic. It's not like we are controlled by them. I like shaving my private area not only for him but more importantly for myself. I like looking good in lingerie and bikinis. Your comment was way too judgemental.
|