Medical Questions > Conditions and Diseases > Epilepsy Forum

Seizures And Menstrual Cycle

Must Read
Learn the basics about various conditions and diseases, including risk factors, diagnosis, and treatment options....
Learn about risk factors to developing a certain conditions and diseases. ...
Learn about screening and diagnosis options available for certain conditions and diseases....
Has anyone ever noticed an increase in seizure activity a few days before and/or during your menstrual cycle. My ob/gyn says that hormones has alot to do with it and even suggested either a hystertomy or monthly depo provera shots. I can't really get my neurologist to admit it, although at my last visit he did mention that your monthly cycle can worsen seizure activity and said something about a natural progesterone tablet.

Does anyone have any information about this? Please help.
Did you find this post helpful?
|

replied October 24th, 2005
Seizures & Menstrual Cycle
Yes, I sure have... Thank goodness for posting this, I thought it was 'all in my head'... Usually a few days before I start I tend to get 'brain farts', the auras et al... Sometimes it even goes so far as the nausea, sweating and dizziness... But, thank goodness, it's a rarity that I actually have the seizure before or during my period
|

replied December 3rd, 2005
Hormanal Seizures.
Seizures that occur around the time of ovulation an/or at the start of the period are called catamenial seizures.
|

replied January 7th, 2006
I had the same problem and my doctor gave me a med to take starting a few days before and during my period to help. Haven't had a problem since then.
|

replied May 31st, 2012
Seizures right around menstrual cycle
My neice has problems of seizures before or during her period. It leaves her with a loss of temporary memory. Could this be related to hormones?
|

replied April 18th, 2006
So Glad to See This Post!!
I am getting ready to see my gyno on may 1. I have these aura's or
"tiny" seizures I guess, they say auras are seizures correct? From what i've read. Anyway, never knew in all these years that is what this was, i've done it for a long time. So mild, I never really mentioned it to anyone. And if I did, the few times I remember, it doesn't raise many eyebrows. So I figured no big deal, I never had the actual "seizure" or never do. But until last year, day before my period, I had my little "spell" I call it, and actually went out that time. Very briefly, then I was back and felt fine, totally with it, no confusion. Just little anxiety, of course it scared me a little. Once I started to ask questions and research this on the net, i'm find this out!! How on earth have I done this for so long and didn't know what it was???? I have tried to notice after that if I did it, if it was around my period and it has been. Just days before or day of. Is it the reason for the problem, or is there an underlying problem??? Does this mean I have epilepsy...
|

replied May 24th, 2006
It's Good to Know I'm Not Alone In This Area
Hi,

i've read articles that states that it's true that seizures usually gets worse during a "certain time of month". Every time i'm about a week from my next period, I have increase seizure activity. Seems like every thing I do or sees triggers a seizure [thank god they're simple seizures]. This is still frustrating.

My neuro has confirmed that increasing seizure activity during a womans monthly period is typical and says unless the seizures become over-active, there's really not much to do. Just gotta take those days a little slower and try to keep down stress levels [a real joke, ask any mom]. I kinda laughed @ my neuro for this bit of "advice". During this time of the month - for me, I pick my battles and try not to get too stressed out. I usually take advil [or midol] for the head and bodyaches and pray.

Thanks for posting this. It's nice to know that i'm not the only one that goes through this monthly. Take care.
|

replied December 1st, 2009
Hi,
I realize it's been awhile since this post first showed, but recently I've been experiencing the same side effects from my period. About 8 months ago I gave birth to a beautiful baby boy. All throughout my pregnancy (and four years prior) I was seizure free. Then, all the sudden after I had him, taking the same amount of Dilantin, I started having simiple seizures. Now that I'm only breastfeeding twice a day, I started my period two days ago and had another seizure! I've been very frustrated and nervous.
|

replied February 25th, 2010
i have thought this for the longest time!!! i'm glad someone else said it. when my menstual cycle comes around i feel like i have more seizure activity than other times
|

replied April 12th, 2010
wow,I thought I was alone,I kepted telling the doc.it had something to do with my cycle.kinda funny that now that I have hit menopose,I only have slight spells not the dropping to the ground type.Hmm go figure.I was having three to four a day.I think this should be looked into more.
|

replied December 3rd, 2010
I started having seizures almost 5 years ago right after i turned 16. At first they only would happen every now and then right before i started my period and would only happen when i was asleep. Years later they started to get worse and i became pregnant with my son and they just stopped. After I had my son they started right back. Now they are happening once a month right before my period and/or right after. And again i'm pregnant with my 2nd baby and i've had 2 since i became pregnant. I've had countless EEG's and they are all normal and no one can tell me whats wrong with me and its really frustrating!!!
|

replied March 3rd, 2011
I am 35 years old and was seizure free all my life until 1 year and 1 month after I had my daughter. Since then, I have had grand-mal seizures once a month every since. They either happen the first couple of days of my period or two weeks before my period starts (ovulation). I told my Dr. that this was happening and nothing happened. He has me taking (2) 750 mg of Keppra everyday and its not helping. If anyone has found meds to stop catamenial seizures, please let me know. Thank you and God bless everyone.
|

replied May 20th, 2011
Grand-Mal Seizures
Hello I found your post interesting. My daughter is 16 1/2 and has been having grand-mal seizures now for almost 2 years. She takes Keppra same mg as you but she takes that twice a day and also two other meds that are supposed to help. Guess what they don't. I am noticing that each month right before and during the seizure activity gets worse during those times. I take her to a great children's hospital that has a great children's neurology clinic but still having problems. Nice to know I am not losing my mind. Hope to get this figured out. Hope you do to.
|

replied March 12th, 2011
Don't worry, you're not crazy. I always have more seizures around my period. I usually have simple-partial seizures every other day or so, but for a few days before I get my period and during it, it gets to the point where I'll have multiple in one day. Fortunately, my neurologist assured me that this not uncommon, as the hormones that change in your body during your period can throw off your meds and your whole system. I went to a seminar a couple years ago that talked about this. They said that if you have this condition, you generally have fewer seizures after menopause. Silver lining I guess!
|