Medical Questions > Pregnancy Forum > Teen Pregnancy Forum

How Long Does Sperm Live Outside the Male Body?

Must Read
What happens during labor? What do contractions feel like? And how do I know that labor has begun? Read on to learn about birthing basics....
Signs of labor occur after 36 weeks of pregnancy. Learn about the difference between real and false contractions. Plus, we outline signs of delivery complicati...
Almost all women worry about the pain of childbirth. Preparing for childbirth includes thinking about how you'd like to cope with the pain of labor. Read on for...
I was wondering how long would sperm live outside the penis, like if a guy ejaculates and then how long does it stay alive out in the open air?
Did you find this post helpful?
First Helper katlvr14
|

replied August 17th, 2005
Experienced User
I think only a few hours or maybe a few days I know it lives in side the female body for up to 7 - 14 days
|

replied December 22nd, 2011
woa, actually, it can only live out in the air for a few minutes maximum, if the fluid is dried then it has no longer the ability to make a girl pregnant, I asked my biology teacher and she also said that sperm can live in the vagina for 3 days then they'll die.

You only need one sperm to fertilize to be pregnant but it is a tough trip in the vagina andit also need 20 million of sperm to break the cover of the "egg"
|

replied February 24th, 2012
Something most people don't know
Not true. I went to college to become a doctor and we did a studie on sperm survival and all the men in the class donated their sperm and we had kept it room tempature and would check it every so often and after 24 hours of it being out and kept room tempature there was still a few left. But yes, it does only take one sperm to get her pregnant and I have never heard anything about many sperm having to get to the egg to break the outer lining. Sperm is like moles, it only takes one to dig a whole and the easiest time to get pregnant is usually 6-10 days after your period. You will also have a higher sperm count in the mornings than anyother time of the day. Sperm don't die as easily as what people think. I have studied on this alot. And yes you are right. Sperm can live in the body between 5-7 days. I hope I helped you out.
|

replied May 16th, 2012
plzz help me
will u plzz help me ..my bf kept his penis for 1st time and b4 d white fluid tht is sperms cmg out he made d sensation n taken out of my vagina.n again he cleaned his penis n after 10 mins he kept his penis again 2nd time n finally b4 d sperms cmg out he took out his penis..soo m tense nw tht i may get pregnancy ?if yes wat should i do 2 stop it ..pappaya may stop it ?
|

replied August 19th, 2005
Experienced User
Sperm will live outside of the body until it dries up which could take 5-15 min. And once sperm is released inside a woman it takes about 5 minutes to get to the fallopian tubes, where it can wait for up to 5 days before dying.
|

replied February 15th, 2010
on jan 8th i had my period this month was do no later then the 8th and i got some spoting on the 9th and nothing till the 11th i had a really light bledding hardly any for 3 days and now i dont know if i m pregnant
|

replied February 15th, 2010
Especially eHealthy
Shortty, Did you have unprotected sex after Jan 8?

If you did, only a pregnancy test can tell if you are pregnant. Remember to read the instructions. There are however many things that can cause a late or light period in teens.

Take care.
|
Users who thank UnknownABC for this post: shortty85 

replied April 24th, 2011
heyy
trying too get pregnant without a man in my life..need too know if my guy friend jacks off and then puts his sperm in the fridg how long it will last???
|

replied April 24th, 2011
Brit - that won't work. Period. You will cold shock the sperm and it will die. Sperms need extender in order to live in a cooled environment. And there is a scienctific ratio that goes into how much extender vs how much sperm.

I don't know how old you are, but if you're of age and have the money there are sperm donation places all over. Your guy friend could probably go in there, make a donation, then they can put it into you. Expensive, but it works. Good luck!!
|

replied September 12th, 2011
pls help
Hey, im 27 yr old guy, I masturbated in the night and had cum out, next day by evening i had intercourse with my girl(without condoms), this month her periods date is pushed as she has not got in time ? will she be pregnant? i read sperms die in about 1 hr outside the body. so if i had intercourse the next day will it affect ? pls clarify ?
|

replied January 5th, 2013
pregnancy
I had sex with my friend on the day 05.01.2013, will she be pregnant by any chance, please email back Smile thanks x
|

This post has been removed because it did not meet our Community Guidelines.

This post has been removed because it did not meet our Community Guidelines.

replied February 16th, 2013
could i be pregnant?
Please help me, i tossed my boyfriend off and he got cum on my fingers, i wped it off on tisse first then wiped my hand again on my jeans, he said he had none on his hands, we were outside in the air, a few miniutes later i made him spit on his hand and make him wipe them together before fingering me he only done it for about a miniute and didnt go deep atall, could i be pregnat?
|

replied August 21st, 2013
Pull out method
I have a question if he pulls out n then penetrates again can that result in a preganacy? I was ovulating at the time?
|