Medical Questions > Womens Health > Womens Conditions Forum

More On My Abnormal Pap

Must Read
Menstruation is a woman's normal monthly menstrual period. But what are the signs of abnormal periods? When is vaginal bleeding serious?...
Regular vaginal bleeding vagina is a sign of healthy menstruation. What signs and symptoms point to menstrual problems? Read on to learn the difference....
Menstrual irregularity means that something is wrong. Learn how to identify the signs and symptoms of an irregular period to prevent larger problems later...
Well, I called my nurse today. She said I have "atypical glandular cells" which can mean so many things, from nothing all the way up to various forms of cancer, and endermetriosis (i think I spelled that wrong).

Anyone else with abnormal paps? Anyone with atypical glandular cells?

I am so scared.
Did you find this post helpful?
|

replied August 15th, 2005
Experienced User
Is this something that can be treated? It's just I have never heard of this. I am sorry to hear it.
|

replied August 15th, 2005
I am waiting until next week to go have some more tests, including a biopsy procedure. Then I will know more about what I really have. The worst part is waiting.
|

replied August 16th, 2005
Experienced User
Glandular Cells
There are squamous and glandular cells. An abnormal pap will show an abnormality in either of these. After you have the colposcopy and biopsy, that will give you a better idea or what type of abnormality. I recently had a cone procedure to remove abnormal squamous cells from my cervix and the endocervical canal. Glandular cells show up on the cervix usually as an indication that there may be some abnormal growth in the uterus. Most likely, it's just dysplasia. Do you get a pap every year? If so, then you caught whatever it is early. My abnormality is due to hpv (human papilloma virus) and I have to go every 4 months for repeat paps. I would ask them to send my pap for a hpv test also. I think it's called hybrid capture ii test. They can do that with your original pap. You won't have to have anything done extra for that. The majority of sexually active people have been exposed to hpv. Unfortunately, with women, it can cause abnormalities on the cervix. Your doctor must release all information about your health to you. I would also request that they mail the results to you so you have a copy. I keep a copy of everything related to my health. I like to do my own research. Don't worry. This happens to so many of us.
|

Thanks. Yeah, I have noticed that lots of women have abnormal paps. Thanks for all the info. The nurse did tell me that the hpv virus didnt show up in my original pap test. The good news for me is that back in february I had a d&c and they actually did pathology on the tissue they removed from me and didnt find anything unusual. And last year's pap was normal. So I hope whatever it is, it has been caught early.
|

Experienced User
Good!
Well, it sounds like you are ahead of the game. If you had a dilation and curettage this year already, that's great! I bet that the abnormal pap is a false positive. Do you know what I mean? Your colposcopy and biopsy may come back normal. They say 20% of paps are read wrong, hence, a false positive. If you had a normal pap last year & a d and c this year, whatever is causing abnormal cells is early. Sometimes abnormal paps can be from inflammation too. Then, when the inflammation goes away, the pap is normal again. There could be so many things it could be and the majority are benign. I'm just sorry you have to wait to go in and get an answer. That's the worst part in my opinion. Keep me up to date and good luck!
|

I Had Abnormal Pap Too
Hi abnormal_girl. Just found out that my pap came back abnormal too. My doc didn't give me any info at all. Just sending me somewhere to get a colposcopy done. Do you know anything about colposcopies? I'm worried and really dread the whole thing. Doc said on a scale of 0 to 100 with 100 being cancer, i'm at a 1 but she wants me to have this thing done anyway. I'm wondering if its a painful procedure. Have you had one?

Thanks. Ging
|

Experienced User
Colposcopy
No, a colposcopy is painless. They use an instrument called a colposcope and they don't even insert it. They put it just inside the opening and using a scope are able to magnify the cervix to see any abnormal cells. Any abnormality will show up white. If they see a white area(s), then they will do a biopsy. Then they have to insert an instrument to just take a small piece of tissue and send it to pathology. This pinches just a little bit. They put a solution on your cervix which will cause a dark colored discharge within a week after the colposcopy/biopsy. The whole thing is really not painful at all. I had it done 2 months ago.
|

Colposcopy
Thanks crystal. That eases my mind some. I hope your results gave good news.
|

User Profile
Experienced User
I had a copolscopy done a few years ago and a biopsy. My biopsy really hurt and I went into shock directly afterwards. I think tho that it was because my docter went in and did some scraping of my cervix and that hurt so much. Anyways good luck and I hope that it all comes out fine.
|

replied August 17th, 2005
From what I understand, a colposcopy procedure is not painful at all. The nurse told me that they only biopsy the size of a pin head. She recommended taking some motrin 30 minutes before and that should take care of any discomfort (if there's any). This procedure doesnt bother me at all. I have had 2 d&c's, and a hyseroscopy ( I think I spelled that wrong) where they put the camera in the uterus to look around. I've been poked and looked at so much with my pcos I am used to it. It's the ever present thought of cancer that scares me.
|

replied August 17th, 2005
Experienced User
Same Here
Same here abnormal_girl! My fear is always the c word! The poking and prodding, I am used to. Just give me good biopsy results and I can handle anything. I really found the colposcopy and biopsy painless. To be honest, I felt hardly anything at all. When I had my cone surgery, I was put under with anesthesia and obviously felt nothing. The recovery really wasn't bad either. To be honest, the worst part of the recovery for me is not being able to be intimate with my loved one for 6 weeks. I had little to no cramping and just some bleeding. I'm into the 3rd week after surgery and am still wearing a pad, because I can't use a tampon. Doctor's orders. "nothing in the vagina," I believe were her words lol. Anyway, hang in there everyone. This is so common and if you keep up with your health, whatever is abnormal is most likely caught early. It takes a lot of guts to talk about this stuff and I commend you all.

Crystal
|

replied August 23rd, 2005
Re: Same Here
Mycolposcopy involvedtakins samples and scraping and I had pain similair to a bad period cramping I go in for my leep tomrow. I have displaisia third level,the level right before the big c. A friend at work just had this done last week and she seems ok. She said it hurt about the same as the colposcopy. So im scared. The doctor said three days bed rest. And of course no sex or tampons for a certaion amount of time. Hope fully ill be on the road to recovery. Then maybe we can finally get back to baby making in a few months.
|

Re: Same Here
Mycolposcopy involvedtakins samples and scraping and I had pain similair to a bad period cramping I go in for my leep tomrow. I have displaisia third level,the level right before the big c. A friend at work just had this done last week and she seems ok. She said it hurt about the same as the colposcopy. So im scared. The doctor said three days bed rest. And of course no sex or tampons for a certaion amount of time. Hope fully ill be on the road to recovery. Then maybe we can finally get back to baby making in a few months.
|

Hey everyone, just wanted to let you know I went for my copolscopy today and the doctor said my cervex looked perfect. Unfortunately, he did a scraping of the inside of the cervex instead of the biopsy (ouch). He said that he believes the atypical cells are not cancer or an indication of cancer anywhere else... I go back in two weeks to hear about the results of the scraping, then in probably 6 months i'll have another pap and copolscopy just to be on the safe side.

I feel much better and very hopeful that things are going to work out well and my husband and I can try to have a baby. Thanks for everyone listening.

By the way, the copolscopy was painless, but the vinegar solution burned a teeny bit... And the scraping was uncomfortable but not the worst pain in the world, just a cramping feeling for about 5 or so minutes after the procedure. I feel just fine now.
|

replied August 25th, 2005
Had the Leep
Hi everyone , im doing ok but im crampy and tired . Not near as bad as the colposcopy and biopsy tho. The pain seems to stay around a little longer but its mild. Hopefull im on the road to betterhealth and possibly a baby after I get the ok from the doc. Any way best wishes to all and there is life after leep haha.
|