Medical Questions > Pregnancy Forum > Teen Pregnancy Forum

My Story (and How My Mom Took the "baby Fever" Out

Must Read
What happens during labor? What do contractions feel like? And how do I know that labor has begun? Read on to learn about birthing basics....
Signs of labor occur after 36 weeks of pregnancy. Learn about the difference between real and false contractions. Plus, we outline signs of delivery complicati...
Almost all women worry about the pain of childbirth. Preparing for childbirth includes thinking about how you'd like to cope with the pain of labor. Read on for...
When I was sixteen, I wanted a baby. Badly! When my mom heard about it, she found one of those dolls that are used in sex-ed (the ones that cry all day and all night.....) and gave it to me. Her words were:
"you wanted to have a child, so here she is." she made me use all of my earnings from my job to "pay" for diapers for my baby (doll), bottles, formula, clothing and doctor's visits. Sometimes, she'd say as I was waking up in the morning "gabi is very sick, you must take her to the doctor." so, I had to get up at five in the morning and sit in the doctor's clinic (whom she had called before I left home.) for three or four hours before I was "seen". I remember the tears that I had when gabi would start "crying" at 1am and then again at 1:30, then 2am and then 4am. When gabi was "sick" I had to stay home to "take care of her". My mom wouldn't babysit, saying instead "you have to watch your own child. It's not my job." I never went out with my friends anymore. In fact, a lot of my friends stopped hanging out with me after I "had" gabi.

All the while, my mom kept asking "do you still want to be a mother?" I actually didn't feel that it was unbearable for the first few months. After a year of this, I finally screamed that I had had enough!

Believe me, after that experience, I didn't even want to think about having sex or even having kids until I was thirty!

I was homeschooled, and the entire experience counted for a unit of health credit. The money used to "pay" for baby necessities, was put into my college fund.

Much as I hated my mom at that time for what she did, I finally have looked back on the experience and recently thanked her for turning me around.

I'm almost done with college now , i'm in a serious relationship with a great guy, I have my own apartment and I run a successful business.
(i'm 21 by the way)

please wait to have children! Please enjoy your younger years. Believe me, the first time that you have to pay utilities and pay the rent, you will want to go back to the days where your parents did everything for you and all that you had to do was take care of a few chores and go to school.

For those who already have children or are pregnant now, I applaud you!
Being a mom is definitely one of the greatest joys of your life and also one of the hardest things to do and do well.
Did you find this post helpful?
|

replied August 19th, 2005
Experienced User
Thats nuts
ur mom is nuts and so r u for going along with it for a year..

U took care of a doll for a year?? A year?
|

Extremely eHealthy
Neeko177

shut the f*ck up.

I think that experience is good to share with teens that want babies, they don't realize how hard it actually is until it's too late.

And that was just a doll!
|

User Profile
Supporter
Your mom's amazing! She did a wonderful job evidently.
Congratulations!
|

Extremely eHealthy
More moms should do what yours did.
|

Experienced User
Im not saying its a bad thing... I mean it makes sense...
Just most people her age wouldnt do it for so long with a doll.. Its different if you have no choice and have a real live baby.. But id go nuts taking care of a doll for that long
|

Oh, I tried resisting.....But my mom said that if I had decided to go against her wishes, i'd be out of a roof over my head....(basically: you are in my house and whatever wishes and requests and rules that I decide to enforce are what goes.)

so, I really had no choice but to go along with the "baby experience" which calls it now....
|

replied August 20th, 2005
Experienced User
I think thats awesome I too wanted a child young when I was 15 i'd already moved outta home and had a friend livin with me she had a 7 month old she was a horrible mother she was on drugs and would never feed her or bath her so after 2 weeks of noticing all these horrible things I took over the job I did it for 6 months! I was doing my yr10 and then college and found it very hard catching a bus with a bub and pram 2 bags and all my books I was alowed to have her at school which helped but I still missed alotta work and spent alot of money and endless nights sleep once her mum got her act together she got her own place and believe me I was relieved I soon changed my mind about havin children that young! But 3 months later I was pregnant! I lost my son but now im ready for the whole lot I think that it is important for young people thinkin of it atleast look after a baby for a week and see how you feel after it and same here if you have a child or are pregnant I too congratulate you your strong! I couldn't have done it that young
|