Medical Questions > Pregnancy Forum > First Trimester of Pregnancy Forum

Depressed in early pregnancy

Must Read
What happens during labor? What do contractions feel like? And how do I know that labor has begun? Read on to learn about birthing basics....
Signs of labor occur after 36 weeks of pregnancy. Learn about the difference between real and false contractions. Plus, we outline signs of delivery complicati...
Almost all women worry about the pain of childbirth. Preparing for childbirth includes thinking about how you'd like to cope with the pain of labor. Read on for...
I am 27, been married for almost 2 years and 5 weeks pregnant. This was a planned pregnancy.

I should be on top of the world, but I feel quite the opposite. I have problems with anxiety, but over the past few months have gotten it well under control. About 2 days before I found out I was pregnant I started to feel my anxiety acting up and it has gotten progressively worse since.

On top of that, my moods have just been dipping lower and lower. Yesterday I cried for 3 hours straight.

Everyone around me is absolutely elated by the news. Everyone except me. I want to be. 90% of the time when the topic of the baby comes up it makes me want to cry, the other 10% of the time I feel almost indifferent. I just don't get it.

I talked to my doctor today and she recommended I go back on zoloft. Unfortunately though it takes weeks to start feeling the effects from that.

My husband is being supportive, but I just would love to know that I am not alone with this. Can anyone here relate to how I am feeling?
Did you find this post helpful?
|

replied September 17th, 2005
I feel exactly the same. Im 9wks and have just spent the whole day in bed crying!!!
|

replied September 21st, 2005
Experienced User
Seems like you ladies are suffering from bouts of depression. Leah seems like she's feeling a more common feeling that a lot of mommies have when they first find out.

Was the baby planned leah?? Maybe you're just over whelmed...

Laurie78

you sound a lot like I was with my first child. Are you on any anti-depressants? They do have ones that are safe during pregnancy (prozac is one of them)

i would definetly seek help asap from your dr, because the drop in hormones after baby is born, can cause severe post partum depression (aka baby blues). It is very real, and very scary if you don't get help.

I suffered from it, and it lasted over a year. Pm me if either of you ladies wanna chat!
|

replied September 23rd, 2005
Experienced User
I felt really low for the first few weeks, but have now started to feel more human and am starting to feel a little glow-e.

Please don't feel guilty about feeling depressed or low. Your homones are going crazy at the moment, and the more you dwell on the way you are feeling, the worse it may become.

Just take a deep breath and take the experience as another part of being pregnant. I would suggest speaking with your midwife or doctor/consultant about the way you are feeling and see if there are any groups that can help before turning to medication to dull what you are going through.

I had depression in my early 20's and found that taking antidepressents simply dumbed my mind and body. I wouldn't want to miss any aspect of being pregnant, but then again, if medication works for you..... Go for it!

I hope that everything works out...But hey, don't beat yourself up. These feelings will pass eventually and if you feel you can't cope - talk to your doctor.

Xx
|

replied October 15th, 2005
Experienced User
How You Feeling Now....laurie78
I am getting used to all the strange twinges, moods, cravings and constant need to eat. How is your pregnancy going along?

Hope everything is going well.
Xxx
|

replied October 18th, 2005
Experienced User
Finally!
Some place to feel normal! My sister is the pregnant one, but i'm the worrier. She has been really depressed lately, but she's only 6 weeks along. She threatened suicide last night (she's only 17) and so my mom took her to the hospital this morning to get checked out. She wants and abortion (as far as I know, she still wants it), but maybe if she can feel normal, she can think about it some.
|

replied July 10th, 2012
Depression in Pregnancy
Hello Ladies,

I am 11wks today Smile Like most of you, I am definitely very happy that I am pregnant (this is my 2nd pregnancy, first ended in MC at 4 1/2-5 wks) but at the same time, I am very scared. Don't want anything to go wrong on this one. I have been feeling very depressed lately. Around 6wks to probably still occuring every now and again now, I have had barely NO appetite, and have lost a total of 10lbs. I am already a small girl, normal 5'7'' 130lbs. I just feel so frail now, and have lost weight, and don't feel comfortable at all. I am super thankful for my supporting and encouraging husband though, always telling me I am beautiful no matter what is wrong with me Smile I just really don't want to rely on medication, I am one to ride things out, but this depression isn't a fun topis to deal with, and I feel pretty alone about it. Anyone know what I can do?
|

replied July 10th, 2012
I am eleven weeks too and starting to feel down. I've been on meds which has kept me level until now Sad
|

replied August 12th, 2012
Hi I'm 7 weeks and 4 days I am feeling so low our baby was planned but I am so scared something is going to go wrong. Sad xxx
|

replied September 28th, 2012
help.
Hi I'm 10 weeks pregnant and feel so low it's unreal, I'm not on meds, I just feel like everyone is overtaken what's ment to be a happy tome, I'm grouchy down and I can't remember last time I laughed is this all normal x
|

replied October 2nd, 2012
Depressed - first stage of pregnancy
Hi I've just found out I'm pregnant, I think about 3 or 4 weeks as I've missed a period and had a faint line on the pregnancy strip.I had an abortion last year and my husband and I regretted it. Since the abortion we have got married, got the house a little more sorted, been on holiday/honeymoon and started a new job which I'm starting to really get into. This baby was planned but now I am feeling so down and just want to abort again, as soon as possible. I hate the feeling
|

replied October 2nd, 2012
hello.....i m 20 ...and i got pregnant 2 months back... it was about 2 weeks pregnancy when i took some pills to get rid of the pregnancy ... due to which my periods started and u can not belev how strong was the bleeding... on the first day it bleeded like hell... n den my periods continued for more den a week...
this all happened 2months back.. n nw sometimes i bleed very littel .. n from past one week it bleeds atleast once in a day... could u plzzz help me...plzz tell y is it happening or what should i do fr it...is it serious.... plzz do reply...
|

replied June 3rd, 2013
I'm 5 weeks now and also considering abortion. I'm not in a good place with the father so it's difficult, but luckily I have my family for support. The depression is really killing me though and they dont get it!!!! I'm 23 and unemployed. I'm scared ill resent the child. Scared, confused and angry.
|

replied July 11th, 2013
Kelikeli, I've been in a similar situation. I believe if you do not feel that you can provide emotionally for a child, and your spouse or sig other is not in a good place either, you should have an abortion. I was with my bf at the time for two years but I knew he was not father material and I knew I would not be ready to raise a child, and I did not want any offspring f mine being raised in a foster or adoption system where anything could happen to them and I not have any responsibility. I ,edit acted on it a lot and communicated to the spirit trying to enter my body I was not ready, and for it to leave. I had my abortion and never felt bad about it. Three years later I had my son who just turned three. It was so wonderful, because while pregnancy seemed terrifying still I knew instinctively I was ready. In nature animals eat their young when they know the offspring will not likely survive. I believe humans have this same right and you should never be ashamed to use it. Good luck!
|

replied July 11th, 2013
I think it's also important to take some time and ask yourself if YOU can have a child. It's easy to get confused with the fear of the permanent loss of your beauty and childhood due to pregnancy and birth. the fear of a loss of freedom. Them there is KNOWING you could not successfully raise a healthy child at this time. The former is a imagination, the latter a warning. And I will tell you if you know ( yes, it s possible to really know for any woman) that you can raise a good human being right now no matter the circumstances, then the fears of the loss of beauty and freedom will fade, and them disintegrate completely when you are no longer nursing. That's how t was for me. However, if you know you should not carry the full term, don't and don't let anyone tell you different. You now yourself better than anyone else.
|