Medical Questions > Conditions and Diseases > Ear, Nose and Throat Disorders Forum

Excessive Sinus Phlemg ..i'm Choking

Must Read
Do you know the three main reasons we cough? Learn common causes of cough and when coughing might indicate a more serious health problem....
Coughing is normal. But what can cause more troublesome coughs? Learn more about possible causes of cough here....
When should you see a doctor about cough symptoms? When are symptoms a sign of further complications? Learn about cough symptoms basics here....
I never was prone to sinus infections but 2 yr ago I got a big one that has continued on and off since. Aling with infection it created a syndrome of very excessive mucus. My mouth is always full nothing comes out my nose anymore. Currently I have no infection however the mucus problem is still excessive. I have been to 2 ent's and allergiest (no allergy's) and have followed religiously the ent protocal nasal washes , flonase , astelin etc. I have hbp so use of antihistimines are limited. I also have lupus and the ent that will be doing a septoplasty & ethmoidectomy does not think the surgery will stop the excessvie mucus but will help me manage it better sinc ei do have a right side deviation that everything gets hung up in that area so I have a awful time clearing stuff out. I use mucinex also to thin it when it gets thick. I take a lot of meds but drs. Ahve ruled out the meds are causing this since I was taking them prior to this problem. Is this a autoimmune response or what. I hate prednisone and my rheumy has put me on methotrexate 2.5mg 3 tabs a week to try to help. But it's not doing a thing I blow up fast on pred hence the metho. Any suggestions? Have you ever heard of this problem? I'm desperate I can barely leave the house it's so bad. I even wake up at night choking it out.

Help please. :?
Did you find this post helpful?
|

replied November 13th, 2012
Appears I have a similar problem. 25 years ago suddenly woke up great difficulty in breathing. Ambulance rushed me into hospital. After 5 days breathing enough to go home. At one stage I was only out of hospital for a week before being rushed in yet again. Went from asthma to acute asthma to ? . All the time I was saying it was mucus going down from the back off the nasal passages. After some twenty years I was referred to a doctor for a bronchoscopy .This proved beyond doubt it was as I had always stated, it was mucus going down from the sinus area. One help I have found.Nebulising with oxygen at about 6 ltrs using sabutamol and ipratropium whilst bent over. Sipping very hot water,steam going up nostrils hot water going down wind pipe.Sorry but we do not fit in a tick box.There are other symptoms I shall pursue next year.
|
Did you find this post helpful?