Medical Questions > Conditions and Diseases > Epilepsy Forum

Arm Seizures, Doesn't Add Up!

Must Read
Learn the basics about various conditions and diseases, including risk factors, diagnosis, and treatment options....
Learn about risk factors to developing a certain conditions and diseases. ...
Learn about screening and diagnosis options available for certain conditions and diseases....
This is my frist time posting on this site. I will spare you the lengthy description of my issue ( it is long and doesn't make much sence ) and get right to it.

I have been having seizures in my left arm for about 5 years now. I have had 4 grand mals in the past all of which began with my arm seizing. Basically it's a clonic seizure that feels like it begins in my left sholder. My arm stiffens for a couple seconds then begins to jerk quick to start and slows down to a stop. Afterward I am unable to use my arm for about 5 seconds. I don't lose conciousness, I feel mostly normal during it although it is a bit painful, I can speak and everything else is fine.

Here is the strange part. My seizures aren't random. I have them every night when I go to sleep but it has nothing to do with sleep. Basically I lie down and if I concentrate I will not have a seizure, but as soon as I relax i'll have one. Very predictable usually. It appears to be triggered by lying down! At first it seems like it's a nerve issue or some kind of twitch but I have had grand mals that begin with my arm doing the exact same thing but it then spreads over my body and results in a very unpleasant experiance.

I am taking dilantin and carbatrol which has prevented a grand mal but I still have these arm seizures a lot.

Anyone herd of this or have a similar experiance?

Another question I am very curious about is what are your grand mals like? Do you just pass out and wake up tired and confused? For me I feel like I loose the ability to see and hear and experiance the seizure for a short while still concious in darkness then wake up later all messed up..

I appreciate you reading all this

thanks
Did you find this post helpful?
First Helper tiragi25
|

replied October 17th, 2005
Re: Arm Seizures, Doesn't Add Up!
logike30 wrote:
i have been having seizures in my left arm for about 5 years now. I have had 4 grand mals in the past all of which began with my arm seizing. Basically it's a clonic seizure that feels like it begins in my left sholder. My arm stiffens for a couple seconds then begins to jerk quick to start and slows down to a stop. Afterward I am unable to use my arm for about 5 seconds. I don't lose conciousness, I feel mostly normal during it although it is a bit painful, I can speak and everything else is fine.

Here is the strange part. My seizures aren't random. I have them every night when I go to sleep but it has nothing to do with sleep. Basically I lie down and if I concentrate I will not have a seizure, but as soon as I relax i'll have one. Very predictable usually. It appears to be triggered by lying down! At first it seems like it's a nerve issue or some kind of twitch but I have had grand mals that begin with my arm doing the exact same thing but it then spreads over my body and results in a very unpleasant experiance.

I am taking dilantin and carbatrol which has prevented a grand mal but I still have these arm seizures a lot.

Anyone herd of this or have a similar experiance?

Another question I am very curious about is what are your grand mals like? Do you just pass out and wake up tired and confused? For me I feel like I loose the ability to see and hear and experiance the seizure for a short while still concious in darkness then wake up later all messed up..

well, I have had two seizures is all, the first I believe was a grand mal, though I don't remember either seizure, I was unconscious during them, and wasn't really entirely conscious on that first one for a good 10 or 15 minutes, apparently. My second one was what's called complex partial - I don't remember it, but apparently it was only my arm jerking.

Mine aren't an every night thing, but I can tell you that when I woke up from them, I was very tired and confused for a little while afterward, and for about a week or so afterward I would have trouble with my short term memory. So I don't remember either of mine, but the effects stuck with me for about a week. I'm sorry I can't help more, but that's my experience.
|

replied October 30th, 2005
I never have a "grand mal" out of the blue, I always know i'm going to have one. At least now that i'm older I do, i've learnt to read the signs by now.
I suppose as a child I didn't have the experience to realise what's happening to me.

My seizures have always been multiple petit mals, an aura, and then teh grand mal.

For instance: i'd be studying or typing (always concentration-related) and i'd have a momentary lapse of conscioussness together with a twitch of the hands, face muscles or a quick kick of one of my feet. Or all of the above together. Never for longer than a second or two though.

When this happens I know I have to slow down, relax, maybe go for a walk, sing a little (singing calms me down, strangely enough).

If I don;t stop what i;m doing and relax, i'd experience an aura, a sudden feeling of surrealness, of not really sitting where i'm sitting or not really doing what i'm doing.
When this "aura" happens it's usually a matter of minutes before I lose consciousness and convulse.
My convulsions last anyting from 1 to 8 minutes. A seizure on an empty stomach is always worse than on a full one. I don't drink anymore as I once had a seizure when drunk (in the army) and that was really really hectic. Took me three days to recover enough to get up and walk around.

Usually when I regain consciousness after the convulsions, the best description that I can give is that i'm unable to distinguish my thoughts. I always have a throbbing headache that's so bad i'm not able to speak or concentrate on even the simplest of task, such as walking to my room.
I have difficulty answering people when they ask me questions. I hear them fine but i'm unable to make up my mind on what to ay or do.

I think this is merely my brain that's still firing in a non orderly fashion.
I almost always start crying. I think I do that because it's so frustrating.

Then I go to sleep for a solid day and wake up feeling tired, stiff, sore and hungry.
|

replied February 24th, 2010
grand mal
Hi, I had the same experience as you last ngiht, and the same when i was 16. they arent so common for me as I suffer with petite mal's daily. Though i find these strange as you said because if i fight them they will not turn into a grand mal, but if i relax, they will go all the way into a grand mal, when I explain this to a neurologist he looks at me like im crazy. It's very painful, and as of now I just want to sleep the whole week through. I hope you find a way to get yours under control. i hear accupuncture if good for epilepsy!
|

replied November 3rd, 2010
my crazy arm seizures
Logike30-

Hi my name is Kayla and I'm 18 i have been experiencing the almost exact same thing as you with my arm seizing every night up to 10 to 20 times... it started when i was 16 that's when i went into a full seizure after my arm locked ..(that's what i refer to when my arm seizes) i was rushed to the hospital because no one in my family has ever had any seizures or in their family history. the hospital put me on a loading dose of Dilantin ,, which helped with the seizure part but not my arm, two days later once the medicine wore off i had another seizure , that's when my parents knew something wasn't right,, a few days later i went to see a neurologist and he said he has never seen anything like what i have.. he still to this day thinks i have a movement disorder and epilepsy.. so basically why im writing you is to ask if you have had any luck figuring out what it is.. i know you wrote your post in 2005 but ive been looking for someone with the same condition as me ever since i started having this problem.. is you could please post back and let me know how you are doing and if you have found a solution it would be more than appreciated.

thank you

kayla
|

replied November 15th, 2010
unexplained seizures
Kayla i have almost the same prob. as you.I have had migranes for about 7 years and certain things like mario cart wii or med. that make me tired bring on seizures.My left arm goes numb all the way to my finger tips for about 15 to 20 seconds at a time a couple times a week.I went to a neoro. docter a couple of years ago who besically made me feel like i was lying becouse i was describing a couple of different things that has nothing to do with each other??Would like to know what this is myself
|

replied November 18th, 2010
I have the same situation as Hennie. I realize that I am going too fast and concentrating and getting stressed to a degree. Then it feels like you sense a black hole next to you but it can go away if you distract yourself with other more plesant things.

Look away from the work you are doing and just stimulate yourself someother way. If I don't, and I feel like I acknowledge the feeling beside me, its like I turn and fall in. Que the 10 second complexe partial and I go off to the same visual hallucination over and over and inability to seperate real sounds, like people talking or music playing, with the repeat conversations I hear. I see who is talking, but am distracted and can't respond verbally.

But it is a feeling that seems to be below a Aura threshhold.
|

replied March 20th, 2011
left arm seizures
i have had left arm seizures at night time just as i am falling of to sleep almost everynight since i was 14 i am now 24 that when i was younger would sometimes eventuate into 3 grandmal fits a night i would always hear the people around me but not be able to respond it was like i totally did not black out i have tried epilin, tegratol and topamax and lamictal by themselfs and the best medication combo working for me now is topamax, keppra and lamictal i have not had a grandmal in a long time and if i do its hard to even call it that its kind of like a quick rush over my body that lasts like a min and does not scare me anymore .
but i still sometimes maybe 4 times a week wake up durring the night with numbness in my arm that will go to a tingle but it wont cramp up or fling back and its controlable.
i always found that if i forced myself to go to sleep when i was not tired i was more likely to have seizures or arm problems or if i was angry.
But recently i have also found if i think about my arm ones i can bring them on too but sometimes ifeel like i cant distingish the real thing from the phsychological and its driving me crazy.
i have had all of the tests done and they still cant find exactly where my fits are coming from but they think they are pretty much just partial myclonic ones now isolated to the right frontal lobe of my brain somewhere now.
anyway i hope this info is helpful and its nice to know there is others out their the same as me.
Bonnie
|

replied October 28th, 2011
arm seizures
i have just recently started experiencing these "arm seizings" i have no history of seizures nor does anyone in my family. i am 32 and these just started within the last couple of days and so far it has only been after i have lied down to sleep. mine feel like they start in the left bicep area and move throughout the entire left arm seizing up and drawing closer to my body, it seems to have a unsettling effect on my mental state. not being able to control my body has me seriously worried.
|

replied October 28th, 2011
arm seizures
i have just recently started experiencing these "arm seizings" i have no history of seizures nor does anyone in my family. i am 32 and these just started within the last couple of days and so far it has only been after i have lied down to sleep. mine feel like they start in the left bicep area and move throughout the entire left arm seizing up and drawing closer to my body, it seems to have a unsettling effect on my mental state. not being able to control my body has me seriously worried.
|

replied October 29th, 2011
thanks I was thinking I was crazy I see am not now
|

replied November 14th, 2011
ARM SEIZURES
Just wondering how many of you are females? My daughter has this arm seizure problem and they think its linked to high hormone levels
|

replied November 14th, 2012
Left Arm Seizure
I have been experiencing these left arm seizures for about 4 yrs. now. They were very infrequent when they first started, but now they come on more frequent like every night. When they first started, I would lose consciousness and later find myself walking around the house and lookng out of windows and opening doors and stuff. I can feel it coming on and have resorted to jumping up very quickly because they always happen when I am about to fall asleep or when I am sleeping. So, I have started grabbing my left hand and bending it back in the opposite direction that it is seizing and I flail it about until the seizure relaxes and I am good to go but it is always scary.
|