Medical Questions > Conditions and Diseases > Sinusitis Forum

Help!! Sinus Surgery This Friday

Must Read
Do you have a cold or a sinus infection? Learn the difference plus more info on different types of sinus infections (sinusitis) here....
What can cause a short-term or long-term case of sinus infection? We review both. Learn how to avoid the risk of developing an infection in this section....
What are the first signs that you have trouble with your sinuses? Learn to identify a sinus infection early ... plus know when you should seek medical help....
Because i've been having chronic sinus infections my doctor suggested sinus surgery after looking at my cat scan. I have to have it soon, if i'm going to go through with it, since my insurance runs out after the end of the month.

My question is about septoplasty, one of the procedures that he will perform to fix my deviated septum. He described it as removing a square cm of bone so that he can push the septum back in place. This description is kind of freaking me out, and i'm considering scrapping the septoplasty. Has anyone ever undergone this procedure or know of anyone who has. Any complications or side effects. My doctor makes it seem like it's a common procedure and there's not really anything to worry about.

Looking forwrd to any help you can give. Thanks!
Did you find this post helpful?
|

replied August 10th, 2005
I've had the surgery and know several other people who have. No one I know had any complications and all of us could breathe better after the surgery. The worst part for me was having cotton shoved up my nose for a couple days.

Medscape would probably be a good place to learn more about the procedure.

Good luck!

-kerrie
|

replied August 11th, 2005
Thanks kerrie. Good to know that no one has had any complications. I'll check out medscape and see what info I can get there. Thanks again!
|

User Profile
Experienced User
I could finaly breathe after my septoplasty, my husband loved the fact that I got it since I finaly stopped snorring :)

with the sinus tissue thing.. I will have to warn you.... You will not be able to smell or taste anything for quite a while (a few weeks). No one warned me about that and I made homemade spagetti sauce for my husband.... That was about the worst meal I ever made... (tasted fine to me)

good luck...
|

Oops, I meant to recommend webmd, not medscape. Medscape is the for-doctors site from webmd.

Good luck tomorrow!

-kerrie
|

replied August 14th, 2005
I Went Through With It
Thanks to everyone who responded. The sinus surgery itself was a success according to my doc. The only problem now is the packing that's inside my nose. I had my surgery on friday and my doc doesn't work over the weekend, so i've been stuck with this horrible stuff inside my nose; it's extremely painful to swallow and I haven't eaten anything and have had very little to drink since thurs night, except a smoothie--a very painful smoothie. Hopefully my doc will be able to remove this thing tomorrow (monday). If not, I think i'm gonna pass out.

I guess i'm a wuss. I should look toward a brighter future of breathing easier.
|