Medical Questions > Womens Health > Sexual Health - Women Forum

Period Lasting 3 Weeks (Page 1)

Must Read
Menstruation is a woman's normal monthly menstrual period. But what are the signs of abnormal periods? When is vaginal bleeding serious?...
Regular vaginal bleeding vagina is a sign of healthy menstruation. What signs and symptoms point to menstrual problems? Read on to learn the difference....
Menstrual irregularity means that something is wrong. Learn how to identify the signs and symptoms of an irregular period to prevent larger problems later...
Hello my period has lasted 3 weeks now and I am a little concerned about it have any women on here had this problem? If so what was it and what was done I know that there are many different reasons but I am just wondering what it could be I am going to set an appointment up with a dr here this week before I go on vacation out of state. I am just currious if any one u know what it might be if u need to know my age I am only 22 and have had 2 kids my last child was born in jan of this year so if u have any ideas what it might be please get back to me thanks a bunch
lindsay
ps if u want to get back to me u can pm me
Did you find this post helpful?
First Helper Teana
|

replied December 2nd, 2003
Hello,

i dont honestly know what the problem could be, but I can relate you.. Sorta

i dont have any children but when I was younger, I had horrible periods. I once had a period last 5 months.. Every single day for 5 months. I was extremely irregular. The doctor finally put me on birth control. Only reasoning behind it was that I was irregular.
|

replied January 20th, 2004
About 3 yrs ago I had my period for almost 6 months. (i know way to long to wait to go to the doctor, but I never go unless I ahve to) anyway when I went she did a pelvic and found what she called a paulup. It looked kinda like what you would expect a cyst to lookl like. She removed it (which hurt) and had it tested, she thought it might be cancer. Turns out it was not thank god but not even a week later my period stopped. So I think you need to get into the doctor and have her/him do an exame and find out whats going on. Better to be safe then sorry. Good luck
|

This post is being reviewed to be sure that it adheres to our Community Guidelines.
Thanks for your patience!

replied March 1st, 2010
I'm 20 years old and I have no children but this has happened to me several times in the last 4 years. My doctor put me on birth control, and a few months later it happened again. She has me switch prescriptions, which DID work until this last month. I had my period for two weeks, switched prescriptions, and it went away. But something very different happened this time. It came back 5 days later! It's now been 2 weeks since the 5 day break, putting me at almost a month now. I've had multiple exams and tests, and still no one has an answer. My uterus recently started to hurt a few days ago, and on top of the fact that I already have ovarian cysts this is very painful.
|

replied June 15th, 2010
3 week period why?
well for me i had lost a baby at 14wk and had to have a DnC.Doctor told me periods would be abnormal. the first few months .the 1st month i had a very heavy flow this time ive been on my period for 3wk, some day little others heavy. i dont understand it but .my doctor said its normal. i dont feel it is but to come in for an ultrsound in a week if it doesnt stop. anyone have any idea whats could be happing?
|

replied February 3rd, 2014
Now I have never had children. But it sounds to me, like your body is trying to adjust to the fact that you lost your child. My condolences by the way.
|

replied June 23rd, 2010
period
Im 36 and I have been having my period for 2 weeks now and I am having abdemonal pain.I went to the docs and they said I have ovarian cysts.But this really hurts and all they told me to do is go home take some asprin.But its not helping.Is there anything Ic an do??
|

replied November 16th, 2010
im worried aswell came off the depo (injectin) which was due in august been 3 weeks straight of a normal flow period, ive came off the injection before and never had a period like it getting a little concerned now any advice would be great as i dont have a lot of time to go to the doctors.
|

replied June 7th, 2011
Period 3 weeks
I was surpose to take my depo in feb. But decided I didn't want to be on it any more. I always spot when its close for the next shot. But after that the first couple months I had no period at all. Then may hit and now I've been on for three weeks. I know it has something to do with the depo cause I never had problems like this. I'm starting to worry now. Thought I would just let the depo med leave on it's own but this is crazy I going to make an appt. with the doc to see what's happing.
|

replied January 3rd, 2012
Depo Shot
I just got the depo shot almost 2 months ago. The first month I didn't get a period at all, but the second month it came really late and I've had it for a little over 3 weeks now. Is this suppose to be normal?
|

replied June 15th, 2012
i was also on the depo shot. i was supposed to get it at the beginning of may but i decided not to. i got my period towards the end of may and still have it 3 weeks later.
|

replied December 20th, 2010
Prolonged period
Im came off the depo shot in Sept. I had my period in Oct for 2 days and Mov. I didnt even get a period. Its now Dec and I have been bleeding for 2 weeks and still going strong. What could be the problem?
|

replied December 20th, 2010
Prolonged period
My depo shot expired sometime in Sept. I didnt go back to renew the shot because I started hemoraging. I had my period in Oct for 2 days and Nov. I didnt even get a period. Its now Dec and I have been bleeding for 2 weeks and still going strong. I am 30 years old and have 2 children ages 13 and 6. It is a reaction to the depo shot. What could be the problem?
|

replied January 5th, 2011
I'm only 16 years old and I have a common problem I get my period every three to four months I'm not sexually active yet so I know its nothing in that nature. I once had a forty day period with breaks of three to five days. Four months later I got it again after being diagnosed with anemia. It only lasted a week it's been four months since and I've had it for three weeks now I'm seriously concerned. Doctors can't figure out my problem their only solution is birth control which I don't want to take. My mom says its normal though she had the same problem growing up and it didn't change until she had me, her first child !
|

replied May 31st, 2011
Ask your dr about PCOS. A lot of girls (including me) get put on birth control pills to regulate periods but it doesn't help with the other symptoms. 1 in 4 women have it.
|

replied November 8th, 2011
I am also sixteen and am having the exact same problem. It is horrible. I've been put on so many birth controls and nothing works..
|

replied January 11th, 2011
Yeah, I looked up what to do because the same is happening to me and Im only 15 (almost 16). I dnt really understand whyits happening, Ive had my period 3 years and its never done anything like this..I've been on it three weeks, and Im having bad pains..a few months before this I noticed a knot near my ovary area that hurt, I told my mom but shes not too concerned.
|

replied June 19th, 2012
Abdominal pains
get it checked out- the same thing happened to me over two nights- I thought nothing of it until 6 years later when I had to go for a lovely pap- they found that I had PCOS
Not really serious-but its best to know what these things are about Smile
|

replied February 3rd, 2011
Abnormal Period lasting over 3 weeks
i am 13 i had a regular period untill lately. in september i had my last normal period. then after 5 weeks (a week longer then usual) i started. it lasted 5 days (a day short of usual) and then stopped. then after 3 weeks and 2 days i started again and had another 5 day period. i went 6 weeks and 3 days untill i started again. i have now had it for 3 weeks and i am going to the doctor but is there anything that it could be?? and for the past couple of weeks i get really naeseus when i think about food or when i eat
|

replied May 5th, 2011
Well being your age and changing the group of people you're around can easily influence an irregular cycle.I too feel nauseated by certain foods around that time of the month.I dont think you have anything to worry about but it's good that you're seeing a physician about this
|

replied February 3rd, 2011
Abnormal Period lasting over 3 weeks
i am 13 i had a regular period untill lately. in september i had my last normal period. then after 5 weeks (a week longer then usual) i started. it lasted 5 days (a day short of usual) and then stopped. then after 3 weeks and 2 days i started again and had another 5 day period. i went 6 weeks and 3 days untill i started again. i have now had it for 3 weeks and i am going to the doctor but is there anything that it could be?? and for the past couple of weeks i get really naeseus when i think about food or when i eat
|

replied February 9th, 2011
I had my first child in Sept and got back on birth control a month ago. I've been concerned b/c I've had my period for the last 3 weeks. Prepregnancy I always had normal periods. Could this have something to do with having a vaginal birth? Sould I go to dr. trying to avoid due to not having insurance.
|

replied April 4th, 2011
Very afraid of the 3 week period thing
Omg the ovarian cyst thing is scaring the crap outta me now. I'm only 15 and I've had my period for 3 weeks also. I got off of the depo shot (a shot of which i hate) in January or February. And now I'm scared out of my gord. Can one of you please tell me what i should do? Reading this made me a bit more concerned for my health, because last time I went pee, it was mostly blood..and now I'm very scared
|

replied June 19th, 2012
I know its ages since you posted but are you ok now?

Dont worry about having a check up-cysts are usually ok, but do get a check up so that you dont worry
|

replied April 15th, 2011
Is it normal to have a period last for 3 weeks+ ?
I'm 24 and still breastfeeding my first child who is 16mnths and my period came back 7 months after having him. It was always regular before and It's been like clockwork for several months until my last one was due. It was late.
I had just started being intimate again with my boyfriend and was worried i could have been pregnant but i took multiple tests over 3 weeks, all came back negative and when i finally got my period it's been going on just over 3 weeks. It was mostly light for the last two weeks but has been about as heavy as a normal period for the last few days.
I'm wondering if it has anything to do with the breastfeeding or not. I haven't changed my diet and I'm certainly not stressed about anything.
I'm just hoping it's going to return to normal on it's own...i hate seeing doctors, i don't even have a regular GP cos i haven't seen a doc in many years except once when i was first pregnant, and i don't know where to find a female doctor that i would be comfortable with
|

replied April 24th, 2011
Hi Jazz86

This is likely to be due to you breastfeeding and your hormone levels being slightly out of sync. Hopefully over time things will settle down in the next couple of months. If it was anything serious you would have other symptoms such as severe pelvic pain, significant loss of weight etc. I have endometriosis and ovarian cysts and have always had very severe pain and periods which last longer than normal and extreme heavy bleeding. Most of the time I'm in agony.

As you don't have a GP you could go to a clinic for a smear test and talk over your concerns with the nurse there. These clinics also have a doctor there so if there is any doubt they could refer you for tests or to a gynae at the local hospital.

I hope this helps

Amber
|

User Profile
replied May 2nd, 2011
3 week period.
I'm 21 years old, and it's happening to me now. I've just entered my 3rd week of continuous bleeding. I have no kids and there's no chance in hell I'm pregnant, because I'm not having sex. I've been wondering for about a week now if I should go to my GP (and from other posts I guess I should), but I've been doing a lot of research of it, and basically it's either hormones or something worse. Kinda worrying me now because I'm already diagnosed with anemia, and this can only be making things worse Sad
|

replied May 30th, 2011
I'm 18 almost 19, and didnt grow up with a decent parental figure to tell me anything bout girl stuff. And I had a guy health teacher who didn't really teach anything because there is Soo much schools can't talk about anymore. I didn't start my period till I was 16 and since i started i have not once had a "regular" period most my periods last 2-3 months. I once had one Soo heavy that with pads and tampons I bled through jeans almost to my knees! I don't have health insurance and dont make much money and im not sexually active and I live on my own the last time I went to a doctor she said I was fine and I was diagnosed with animia. She didn't really listen to me. I have lower stomage pain but it's not like cramps I don't really get cramps and when I'm on my period is it normal for something to come out in the blood?(something that looks like...mucas but thats bloody?) should I go see a doctor?
|

replied July 5th, 2011
While you are on your period it is normal to have some blood clots (most likely what you are seeing), they aren't a problem unless you see them a lot and are considerably bigger than a quarter.
|

replied June 7th, 2011
I have had my period for 3 weeks now, but I'm already on birth control and I've been on it for about a year and a half. I've never had a period for this long. Even before I was taking birth control my period only lasted about 3-4 days. I have 1 19-month old son and I'm 20 years old.
|

User Profile
replied August 23rd, 2011
ive been on my period for almost 3 weeks now and i got birth control [implanon] i had sex like weeks ago when i was on my period cause i thought i was done but i guess not and my body keeps goin n stoppin n idk what to do im 19 years old ive lost a baby before is tht the problem?
|
12 >>
Quick Reply
Answers to Similar Questions
User Profile
Dr. Mitaly Pathak Agarwal
User Profile
Dr. Madhumita Avinash Paul
User Profile
Dr. Kokil Mathur
User Profile