Medical Questions > Lifestyle > Cosmetic Surgery, Plastic Surgery Forum

Post Op Face Lift Scars?

Can anyone tell me what good post op facelift scars look like? I've just had scar revision 2 years after having the op and am clueless as to how they are supposed to look. They had streached, more under the right ear and were quite thick behing the ear itself and not under the hairline, which i'd thought they would be. This will seriously affect my career if they remain visible. If anyone could post cropped photos that'd be great too.
Did you find this post helpful?
|

replied August 10th, 2005
Anyone? This is a genuine request.
|

replied August 10th, 2005
A link to another web site would do. There must be somewhere to find out.
|

replied August 19th, 2005
Scars? Depends
As I have said in my other posts, some people do scar easily. We are all different. Some have only injections as kids on their arms, yet form large keloids which have to be removed surgically.

If you do not scar easily, the scar will be invisible, not raised, not even seen unless someone knows you've had surgery and peers very closely at the known site. At a glance there should be no visible scar. If you do not scar easily.

How do you tell if you scar easily. Well look at your bcg , childhood innoculation sites. Did they leave visible scars? Or at knee cap areas, when you fell as a child, did the wounds leave unsighlty scars that are raised?
|

Thanks, my bcg scar is minimal. I've had the scars revised just a few days ago now and they already look better as the surgeon used sub-cu stitches. I have my next review in two months. I understand the need for patient confidentiality but a close up scar photo wouldn't reveal anyone’s identity, would it? I felt sure their would be a website for this, if at least just to ascertain the norm.
|

Look Up Medical Books In the Public Library.
If you live in a big city, there are good libraries you can go to. Look up surgical books for medical students or for cosmetic surgeons. They are after photos, showing how scars heal.

Ok to spell it out for you. You cannot see the scar. It is usually hidden in natural creases of face of which ever part you have surgery on. But all surgical scars themselves take time to heal. After a month, you will still see scars. But after 3 years, they should be just a silvery line. Also it depends on youself. Do not scratch, for example if the incision site itches. Do you avoid food that causes you an allergy? Depends also on the surgeon's skills right? And the kind of suture he uses. Clips do not leave scars. Anyway cosmetic surgeons sometimes use surgical tapes - don't know what's the latest nowadays though.
|

Duh! I hadn't thought of that. The surgeon was recommended and vertainly seems to have a fantastic rep. I'll just have to wait to see how they heal now anyway. Like I said, there is already a marked improvement just 2 weeks after the revision. Thanks seagreejade :)
|

replied October 21st, 2007
Face Lift Scars Under Ears
I am a male 62 years old in very good physical shape. I had a full face lift two years ago and have patiently waited for scars to heal. With the passage of time, they have gotten thicker and more noticeable. In fact the scars under my ears have been redone twice. Initially they look better but with the passing of time they get thick and hard. One of the scars seems to be developing in a way that it is pulling down on the ear lobe and creates an ugly connection between the bottom of the ear lobe and the side of my cheek.

My Surgeon who has a good reputation says he can fix it by yet another operation that is called a revision or mini face lift. I go in for another consultation soon and am somewhat nervous. He has not charged me for the subsequent visits so I believe he is trying. Could it be that I am just a very thick scaring person who has no chance for correction or could the mini actually help. One thing I know for sure is that face lifts should not be taken lightly. They are serious. Generally I am satisfied with the results.
|

replied February 18th, 2009
face lift scars etc.
When a person has a face lift, a skilled surgeon will leave little or no obvious scar tissue. The incision should be made behind the hairline and should not be visible to the naked eye around the hairline or the ear. People are different so there is a chance that a perfectly good face lift can leave unexpected scar tissue that is quite visible. If a person has dark hair and the scar tissue turns white it becomes very obvious. Scar tissue can actually stretch and begin to cover a larger area around the hairline and or the ear. A scar revision by the surgeon is an acceptable procedure requiring new incisions and may even end up looking worse. After using techniques in scar camouflage over the past few years I have found that when done properly these scars can be made undetectable with very little or no down time at all. This also applies to surgical hair replacement scars at donor areas, (of which I have seen way to many of in the past 20 years) this camouflage technique is very successful on surgical types of scar tissue, includeing scars from radical breast surgeries to remodel and re pigment the surgical site. There are many different scar tissues that can be either camouflaged or repigmented. If you have a scar tissue concerns please call us for a free consultation. If you are looking for someone in your area that may be competent enough to do this type of procedure look online to the SPCP. A non profit organization that has made a mission out of keeping the standards and ethics up in the field of cosmetic and medical micro pigmentation. It is very rewarding when a serious situation is remedied in such a non invasive way.
Darlene Hess
|