Medical Questions > Cancer > Cervical Cancer and Ovarian Cancer Forum

Extremely Frightened 18 Year Old.

Must Read
Cervical cancer typically develops over many years. But when does cervical cancer occur and how do doctors define the disease? ...
How are HPV and cervical cancer related? And how can you place yourself out of risk for developing cervical cancer? More here....
Abnormal menstruation can be a sign of cervical cancer. Learn the signs and symptoms of serious "female problems" and when to seek medical help here....
I’ve seen doctors twice, but i’m still really scared about a lump I can feel on the left side just above the hairline. It’s not extremely painful, but it does ache a little, and is only apparent when i’m standing up. And just in the last two days i’ve developed pain down my left leg and pelvis – on the same side as the lump. The pain isn’t incredibly bad – in fact none of the symptoms are terrible, but I can’t help worrying.

The second doctor I saw said she could tell that if felt different and more prominent on the left side, even though there was no visible difference, but she didn’t seem to think it was a cyst or a hernia. I think it was decided that I had a bruise on the inside of a muscle caused by tearing it, resulting in the changed pressure. I was okay about this afterwards.

But it probably wasn’t a good idea for me to then start looking up websites on the subject, because a site on ovarian cancer, imaginis, suggested that I have several of the symptoms associated with the disease: the bloatedness and the vague but persistent gas, and the back and leg ache (which admittedly might be something to do with being sat at a computer several hours a day). The thing is I only noticed these things after I read a website describing the symptoms. So how do I know i’m not just imagining it and it’s all psychosomatic?

The second doctor was not unkind at all – but I got the impression of not being taken seriously and maybe she had a point. To be my age and worrying about this feels silly. My parents also seem to think i’m being silly.

I know it sounds like i’m being incredibly over sensitive (and worrying too much) but I can’t help being terrified since I know how frequently that kind of cancer is missed or mistaken for something less severe, and that symptoms only appear in the advanced stages, which is probably a bit too late. I’ve never had a pelvic examination even though I know i’m meant to start having them annually this year (i think). What are the odds of it being something bad like ovarian cancer, in an eighteen year old, or am I just being a worrywart?

I am strongly considering going back to the doctor’s a third time and asking to have something done. The first time I went I didn’t notice the lump and was complaining about pain related to what was probably a strained muscle from karate. The second time I was crying for the first five minutes (embarrassing). I don’t know if I could bear going in again, but i’m so scared. I was awake at four a.M. Last night in tears because of it.

I also rather oddly, find my worrying annoying because i'm due to start an art course soon and I know I should be focusing my attention on that - not some illness which I might not even have :cry:
Did you find this post helpful?
|

replied August 17th, 2005
Fellow Scare D Cat
You might want to go to the doctor with your written list of questions, ask everything that is bothering you. If you want tests so you can stop worrying, ask for those as well. I bug the heck (nicely) out of my dr and her nurses, hehheh. She says she is neurotic and will usually send me for tests that I ask for. I do a lot of research on the net first before asking for those tests. It is kinda scary going to the gyn (go to a female) for the first time but she should be understanding and try to put you at ease. I figure that they are just doing their job but I talk through the exam to make myself feel better about it, heh. Never let anyone make you feel bad for wanting to take care of yourself.
|

replied November 18th, 2005
Please go to the doctors right away and have yourself checked. My niece who just turned 18 in september has ovarian cancer that was diagnosed two days before her birthday. They think she had it for at least ayear before diagnosis. She went for her first obgyn visit because she was 18 and only had abdomonial swelling and very bad cramps that came and went with her period. Don't wait to go, her case is very rare,but it happens...Please go as soon as possible. Good luck
|

I recently had an ultrasound which suggested one ovary was enlarged. They seemed to think it was from an ovarian cyst. How sure can they be about that, though? Especially as I don't have the other associated symptoms of polycystic ovary syndrome, and that doesn't usually hurt.
|

They told my niece that too, but it turned out they were wrong. She had an internal, which the doctor said she noticed it right away and knew right then that it was oc, she then sent her for a transvaginal ultrasound, a cat scan and blood work for a ca-125 which was elevated to 380-it should be 0-she is stage 3 and has had a full hysterectomy, and optimal debulking surgery on th 11th of last month. She has had one round of chemo and is due to have her second on the 25th..Ask for the blood test ca-125 and don't take no for an answer until you are satisfied with the results. Good luck.
|

replied November 19th, 2005
Thank you. And good luck to your niece. I hope i'm not in the same situation.
|

User Profile
replied April 8th, 2009
help
My little sister who is eighteen has an appointment with an internist tomorrow due to an enlarged ovary. From what she tells me they have ruled out the possibility of it being an ovarian cyst. I live 3000 miles away and cannot be there for the appointment. My brother may be accompanying her but I fear he will not know the right questions to ask the doctors. I do not want a missed diagnosis like the above mentioned. What tests should my sister demand? Please help
|

replied April 12th, 2009
to frightened 18 year old
I am 19 and I am having the EXACT same problem. wow this is crazy i felt so silly like you did. but the past few days my whole left side (side that the bump is on) is numb and tingling and painful. I also have pain in my abdomen and stuff like you mentioned. i havent seen a doctor because i was scared of getting the reaction you got. I think i am going to ask for an ultra sound, you should do the same.
|

replied July 11th, 2009
please go right away and get an ultrasound- i'm 18 years old and for two weeks straight i had a severe pain on my lower left side. one day, it started feeling like someone was repeatedly stabbing me in the pelvic region. my father, who happens to be a doctor, thought it was just a muscle spasm until the pain persisted until 2 am that morning and my parents took me to the emergency room. they did a sonogram and it turned out that i had a 15 cm tortioned (twisted) cyst in my left ovary. They removed it right away and were unfortunately unable to save my left ovary. i am so thankful to have gone in and also very thankful to God that it was benign.
|

User Profile
replied October 17th, 2009
The fact is ladies, that women, even as young as you are, can have issues. I have my own issues at 22 about not being treated fairly but at 17, I had similar issues and I was diagnosed with endomeriosis, tilted uterus and a heart shaped uterus. The problem only gets worse if you wait like I have. I am not losing my period, longer heaver and so painful it will take me down. Gods, I wish no one would ever have to go through this.

You must stand up to your doctors and make them do test. Failure to do so, cost many lives of my women and almost all of them their uterus'. I always wonder if our surroundings like all this high tech stuff, persevatives in food, fake stuff, causes young women to be at more risk than ones from, lets say, 50 years ago.

Dont wait and stand up

BlackMaiden
|