Medical Questions > Conditions and Diseases > Ear, Nose and Throat Disorders Forum

Knot In Throat With Burping??? Whats Causing This?? (Page 1)

Must Read
Do you know the three main reasons we cough? Learn common causes of cough and when coughing might indicate a more serious health problem....
Coughing is normal. But what can cause more troublesome coughs? Learn more about possible causes of cough here....
When should you see a doctor about cough symptoms? When are symptoms a sign of further complications? Learn about cough symptoms basics here....
I am a 28 year old healthy female. I never burp. I cant even make myself burp, but about 2 weeks ago I started burping for no reason. They are small burps but as the days go by, they are increasing in frequency. Also, the burp has a bad taste.

Then last week I started to get a feeling of having something stuck in my throat. It feels like a knot at the location where my neck meets my chest bone. As the last few days have passed, the 'knot' feels like it's growing. It’s starting to bother me when I eat and drink. The burping is also getting worse.

I am curious if anyone has any ideas about these symptoms? It is starting to be a constant ‘thing’ in my life. Today has been the worst. It’s starting to be a little painful to swallow.
Did you find this post helpful?
First Helper iramency
|

replied August 5th, 2005
Knot In Throat
Im sorry tohear that yr having problems at the moment, but do u suffer with heartburn. This could relux. That can cause some strange symptoms. See yr doctor it can b treated quite simply with medicine.

Good luck let us know how u get on :d
|

replied August 5th, 2005
Knot In Throat
I have only had heartburn one time, that was when I was pregnate. (5 years ago) I never get it. I am going to have to go see a doctor. It still hurts today!
|

replied August 27th, 2005
Me Too
I have the same thing. I have gone to the Dr. And had every test you can imagine on my gastro system and all I have for it is a great big bill. I have always thought it was somethng to do with my throat not my stomach but the Dr. Insist it is my stomach. I am still suffering so if you have gotten any answers please let me know.
Thanks
|

replied September 13th, 2005
Same As Me
Sounds like what I have acid reflux.

Lisa
|

replied September 18th, 2005
Knot In Throat
My husband has this problem. A couple weeks ago they did a scope into his throat and found nothing. But did the "ballooning" . Helped some but think he will have to have it done again with a larger balloon. After he had this done, several people said they had it done or had heard of it. Can't say it helped much yet. Also his has sinus drainage which could be causing the knot. He started gargling with salt water today. Hope it helps him and maybe you.
|

replied September 18th, 2005
Janey Osborn
They also put him on prilosec (otc) drug for acid reflux
|

replied November 30th, 2007
Knot In the Throat
Hi...Im having the same problem here. Ironically My Dr hasnt mentioned anything about stomach....I believe mine is my Thyroid. hence hyperthyroidism or hypothyroidism. this is very common in women I cant remember the specific age range...but something like 20-35.....you can read more about this online.
but...when a womans thyroid is not functioning properly...all kinds of whackiness happens....so maybe check that out. I am tomorrow...this is driving me insane!!! and its getting worse.
|

replied September 30th, 2009
Knot in throat and burping?
have an exactly identical problem. Anyone found why theirs happened?
|

replied October 3rd, 2009
I've been having a similar problem. A few days ago I started "burping" all throughout the day and it continues. They don't even seem like real burps but at the same time this happens I get a sharp pain on the side of my neck/throat..or ear. It's strange but I can't really tell if it's my ear or neck.
I have a dr's appointment on Wednesday as it is causing me much pain and worrisome stress.
|

replied October 21st, 2009
anyone still following this thread? I'm a 36-yo single mom of 3 little kids, plus teaching in a challenging urban school this year - my adrenaline flows all day, although I don't feel "stressed." A few weeks ago, I started feeling a swelling in my throat, which worsened to a painful lump that almost chokes me at random moments throughout the day. It seems to line up with "hiatal hernia," but my doctor said it might just be stress, and acid reflux. I've had hypothyroidism for ten years, take daily .125 MG levoxyl. To be safe, he has scheduled me for two types of scopes - one through the nose, and one to the stomach. He gave me Prilosec today and said if it seems to work, we can cancel the scopes. I don't know how seriously to take this - get the scopes, or not worry about it?
|

replied October 21st, 2009
I'm going to add something to my post above - My grandfather died from bleeding hernia/ulcer/s, and my daughter was born without an esophagus at all (ea/tef), plus years ago my pulmonologist suggested my asthma might be caused by silent reflux. Three years ago, I had the hernia that hurts when the (different) doctor pushed up under my rib cage - it doesn't hurt like that this time, and there's no metallic taste this time. Is the "lump in throat" thing this painful, seriously? Eww! I was reading that some people take an anxiety med for it, instead of reflux med? ...okay...diagnose me! Lol, I just want to know what's going on, and be pain-free.
|

replied October 22nd, 2009
I am not a doctor. For many of the above, however, an ultrasound of the thyroid makes sense to check for organic issues. Energetically, in Chinese Traditional Medicine, there is something they call "plum pit qi" - really a feeling of something stuck in the throat which can not be spit out - causes burping, discomfort, etc. There are easy Chinese herbal formulas to take to help with this. Do a google search for more info on this. Good luck.
|

replied November 16th, 2009
I can't believe this, the same thing has been happening to me. In fact I just did a search with all these symptoms and this thread came up. I'm getting mini burps and what feels like a knot if you follow your throat down to the chest area. A pain the neck also. Then it went away after a few days, so I thought I pulled something and disregarded it as I'm 36 and otherwise healthy. A week later, I had these sharp pains in my back near shoulder blade and my neck stiffed up the knot in my throat is back and so are the mini belches. I was trying to see what this is because I can't even begin to explain this to my doctor. My mother in law immediately said it was acid reflux, but oddly it doesn't feel like the indegestion you get when you eat something that causes acidic burning. It feels like tiny belches of air and when I belch they hurt and pull my throat neck and more. Has anyone went to the doctor yet?
|

replied October 21st, 2012
I have the same thing...mine started 3 days ago with the feeling like i had something stuck in my throat and then air bubbles and then i will make a little noise and then i will have a little burp and its hurts to swallow and it kinda hurts down by the collar bone too...i want it to go away but i have no clue what it is...sometimes the pain goes out to my shoulders too so whoever knows what this can be PLEASE let me know...
|

replied November 26th, 2009
I have an hiatus hernia and I get this discomfort from time to time. It's like a knot in my chest and the burp gets stuck in my throat the pain is quite intense and I have to make myself burp to make the discomfort better. Sometimes are shooting pains up to my jaws.. If I am sleeping it wakes me up and I have to sit down and burp. I get very panicky when it happens.
|

replied December 1st, 2009
same symptoms!
I have the exact same symptoms 'iramency' discribed. Lump in throat at the base of my neck, small burps which are painful at times in my chest and upper back. It's also a bit painful to swallow with that lump, and I'm also feeling a constricting feeling in my throat and ears.
|

replied January 6th, 2010
painful throat to stomach
I have these pains also! what is it?! I dont want to go to the doctor if i can avoid it, and it seems many people have this same thing, so does anyone know? has anyone gone to the doctor yet? has it gone away? will the acupunture help? cause id rather do that than pay for many doctors visits without insurance. this started for me last night after diner, about an hour after. i went into the kitchen and had a couple more bites of the leftovers in the pan and a couple minutes later, boom, sharp pain when swallowing. off and on til i got freaked out and went to bed. i woke up in the night with tight chest and throat pain, and when falling back asleep it sometimes felt constricting. i also burp a lot and hope its nothing or something lodged in my throat, but its still there this morning if not worse.
|

replied January 6th, 2010
Check this out...
I have the same thing happening now... This seems to be it:

"Cricopharyngeal spasm

Causes

This syndrome results from a spasm in the cricopharyngeus muscle. It is a self limiting disorder that will resolve on its own.
|

replied October 2nd, 2011
Cricopharyngeal spasm is caused by stress - for me it was due to spending long hours at work (at first, the symptoms were like some strange quivering in my throat which would come and go briefly and I ignored it) and was definitely aggravated by consuming 'bad' foods shortly afterwards (after I ate at catered events) causing probably mild acid reflux which resulted in burping and sensation of knot in the throat - it is all interconnected. but Cricopharyngeal spasm is mainly due to stress and the resulting exhaustion especially if you pull like me12-13 hour shifts frequently without a break to allow your body to recover properly. Your body protests - it's like having a rope tied around your neck figuratively - which indeed you are doing to yourself if you don't live a BALANCED life.
|

replied January 7th, 2010
That must be it!!! Thanks so much 'makeitstopplease' for posting!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
|

replied March 3rd, 2010
Throat issue
I also have this problem. It's been going on for about 3 months and it's literally driving me crazy. I've been scoped, ultrasounds of my kidney and gallbadder, MRI, tow CTA scans, blood work, etc. Everything has come back normal. I've been to a cardiologist, ear nose and throat, general and GI doctors. The only thing i've been disgnosed with is acid reflux but i don't believe i have acid reflux due to no heartburn or any burning in my throat. I burp all day long and feel as if there is a lump in my throat. Some days are better than others however sometimes it really freaks me out and i am now having panic attacks cause i feel like i can't swallow. Lately i've been having chest pains. I have basically stopped eating dinner cause i don't want to have an "issue". I've read a lot of threads about this same issue and there seems to be no answers. I can not learn to live with this as it bothers me everyday. I am willing to try anything....any suggestions?????
|
12 >>
Quick Reply