Medical Questions > Conditions and Diseases > Pain Management Forum

Morphine Causes Advanced Tooth Decay By Xerostomi [dry Mouth

Must Read
Chronic pain affects more than 70 million Americans. But what is pain? And how can pain management help relieve different types of pain? Basic facts here....
How does the nervous system work to register pain? And what are the major causes of acute and chronic pain? Plus, who's at risk of pain here....
Acute and chronic pain manifest different symptoms. Learn the difference here and know when to seek medical help for pain....
Been on oral morphine 11 yr medtronic morphine pump installed 2000. I am a worker comp patient all my teeth which I have left lost 4 last 2 years have 2 or more cavities in each and will lose another one. I need reasearch to show my insurance carrier with worker comp that this dry mouth called xerostomia is caused my use of morphine as well as the other 9 drugs I take orally. Any help I do thank you

thanks
jim loftin houston
Did you find this post helpful?
First Helper POOBEAR011
|

replied December 9th, 2008
I sent you an email to see how this has worked out for you.

I have a similar situation and have asked my workman's comp. carrier to repair my teeth.

I sent a letter from my dentist after they had refused my request. After reading the letter, they consulted their own staff dentist and have agreed to fix the problems I have with my teeth.

I told them that I had spent a considerable amount of my own money repairing my dental work as a result of the opiates.

Yesterday I submitted 14 pages of invoices to workman's comp for their inspection. I am waiting to see if they will live up to their word
|
Users who thank Tempowned for this post: 175 

replied August 5th, 2009
tooth problems
can you contact me and let me know how your situation worked out? I'm having a similar issue and about to take on the workers comp carrier.
|

replied January 18th, 2010
I too have suffered severe tooth decay from my opiate medication. I have been using Actiq for over six years. Six months after I started using the Actiq I noticed that I started going to the dentist on a regular basis.

After spending much of my own money for root canals, posts and crowns, I am now looking at total replacement. I don't know if I even have one tooth in my mouth without decay. I had to have several of them just pulled.

Plus I have a horrible gag reflex, so regular dentures are out of the question. I need to go with replacement where they install four in plants top and four bottom. Later they attach permanent plates onto the in plants that stay in all of the time, and without anything pressing up against the roof of my mouth.

Only problem is that the price will be from $15,000 to $20,000. If I had it I would do it right away, but I will have to wait for now.

Rolls
|

replied January 25th, 2010
I have been on Morphine since 2003 and in 2005 had the morphine pump implanted due to Degenerative Disc Disease.
I noticed serious problems with my teeth right away. My fillings started to fall out, then my teeth began to crack and splinter. I was 35 years old when the pump went in and am now almost 40 and am very close to the point of having to ge dentures. It would have been nice to have been told that this was a side effect. This was not a workmans comp case, my back problems started during my last pregnancey. So what are we suppose to do? I would love to talk to someone who has the same thing going on, I hate the dentist, I am embareased about my teeth.

Tink8709. Chippewa Falls, WI
|

replied September 13th, 2011
Rotting Teeth
Hi, I have been on morphine tablets for the past 18 mths/2 yrs now due to a disc out in my back . I also started having very regular visits to the dentist at first with severe toothache leading to one by one my teeth started to rot from the inside out, breaking of at the gum line leaving all of my roots behind !! At 1 stage i had upto 7 wat i call stubs (root) left behind Sad leading to removal of them all obviously and needing gums stitching up ... I have been in a mess now for weeks at the moment ive got 8 teeth left which are visibly rotting slowly away !!!! I will at the end of all this gone from a beautiful set of knashers to false teeth which upsets me on a daily basis and has done for weeks .I like most people wasnt told by the doctor that rotting teeth might accur, infact i was talking to a lady a couple of weeks ago she was telling me about her husband needing to be on morrphine due to his cancer problem and she mentioned to me about the hospital telling her husband that the Morphine would ROT his TEETH !!! Im really upset about it . Hope to hear from you . Regards Anom
|

replied January 26th, 2010
Hey Tempowned
Would you please update us and let us know what your work comp carrier is telling you? Like are they reimbursing you for your past dental bills. And are they coming through with the repairs?

It looks like were all in the same boat.

Thanks

RDWCO
|

replied February 2nd, 2010
this is for Tink8709...it sounds as though we are in the same situation. I have been on morphine since 2005 for degenerative disc disease also. Like you, i am terrified of the dentist and am very embarrassed because of my teeth. i have cracked/broken teeth in the back and the front teeth have gaps between them as the roots are decaying.

i would like to correspond with you as it sounds as though we are in the same boat. i just turned 40 in september 2009.

LaurieB9869
|

User Profile
replied March 17th, 2010
I just turned 37 and I have been on Morphine for 3 years now, I was in a car accident and now deal with cronic pain syndrome...I am dealing with the insurance company and trying to explain that since I have been on morphine my teeth have discolored to the point that I won't smile and not to mention that every tooth I have left has a crack or hole in it, I have lost 4 teeth already and at 37 I am not ready for dentures, I would love to hear from any of you that has research or any comments on this as I am still dealing with the insurance company and feel if it wasn't for the car accident I wouldn't have to be on morphine and my teeth would be normal like before...they should help me pay for all the work that needs to be done! Dentist work isn't cheap!!
|

User Profile
replied April 4th, 2011
cnfan04,
i also am 37 yrs and had a car accident (guy went through a stop sign and hit us). I have had 3 back operations, last one was to put a spinal cord stimulator in. But with everything i have been through since 2005 (ops, endless injections ect) i still live with chronic pain all day everyday. I have already been to court and the settlement is all over, but i wish i had of told them about my teeth. My teeth are so bad now i have to go to dentist tomorrow cause the pain in my gum and teeth is just terrible. I hate dentists and they are very expensive.
Make sure you get your teeth done through the insurance, dont leave it like i have done. You must have a lawyer discuss it with him/her.
Let me know how you get along and goodluck x
|

replied June 28th, 2012
Health insurance instead of dental, due to morphine , help
totallyfinanciallydrained

You stated that we should go through the insurance company. Has anyone tried to do this? I would like to do this right the first time. I have put out so much money and have not been able to do a lot of the work nec. because I can not afford it. I don't want to make a mistake and mess this up.

I have been on to much medication for 16 years now. I wish I could live without but can not move without it. I have been having problems with my teeth due to dry mouth for the 16 years. My teeth rot and I have ended up with a mouth full of fillings, caps, root canals and posts every time I go in.

Now that I am on a morphine pain plan I have been at the dentist almost every week, or needed to be but cant afford it. Within approx. 2 months, I have had 4 caps either pop off, break in half and or crumble and rot underneath so now root canals, posts and caps will replace them for approx. 1600.00. This is not including the work done before the root canals that should have stopped the problem.

I have also had my healthy posted teeth come out and now posts and caps again will cost me another 2000.00. All my teeth are crumbling, braking down to the gum, or so bad I cant use them.

I have used my 13oo.oo dental insurance up and paid a good portion of the bills as I go. Thanks for dental, but this is a health insurance problem not dental.

Please help if you can. I need direction to proceed forward
|

User Profile
replied July 3rd, 2012
Especially eHealthy
totalfinanciallydrained,

Unfortunately, almost all health insurances will not cover dental problems. There is a slim chance that it might, as a maxillofacial problem.

But, usually, unless the xerostomia is caused by an organic problem, such as disease of the salivary glands, health insurance will not cover it. Since in your case, it is a known side effect of opioid medication, you will have a hard time getting health insurance to cover it.

You can always try. Sometimes, it depends upon how it is presented to the insurance company by the surgeon. If it is presented by a DDS (dentist), it will probably be turned down flat. Thus, you may have to see an MD maxillofacial surgeon.

Good luck.
|

replied July 4th, 2012
thanks
Thanks for your time. I guess I read your posting incorrectly. If anyone has any suggestions regarding what type of meds work as well without tooth decay, please advise. Have a great 4th of July
|

User Profile
replied July 4th, 2012
Especially eHealthy
total,

Unfortunately, most pain meds cause some dry mouth. This includes the nonsteroidal antiinflammatory drugs (NSAIDs).

Also, it is not just the opioids which cause xerostomia. Many, many medicines cause it. One of the worst ones is the antidepressants. But, some of the antihypertensive meds to it also, as well as many others.

And, if you use several meds which have this effect, it is additive. So, many chronic pain patients are on several meds that produce xerostomia.

I have managed so far to keep ahead of the decay (after having many root canals and crowns before realizing what was causing it). But, my daily routine at bedtime takes about an hour, with the brushing, flossing, and use of fluoride trays. And, I have to carry artificial saliva around with me, along with the water, all the time. I should also own stock in the sugarless gum/candy that has Xylitol in it. I always have some of it in my mouth, to stimulate the saliva.

Sorry that you are having so much trouble. But, as to other meds, unfortunately there really aren't any that do not have at least a little component of dry mouth, unless it is just plain acetaminophen. All of the opioids cause significant dry mouth.

But, you never know how a specific medicine will affect you till you try. You might speak with your pain management physician to see if he/she has any suggestions.

Good luck.
|

replied November 9th, 2010
morphine/tooth decay-WSIB
I too am on morphine due to an accident and have been taking it now for 13 yrs. I had thought that it was related to the amount that i was vomiting due to pain until today when i realized that the vomiting has lessened but i just had 13 cavaties filled. |In my opinion WSIB should provide not only dental care but also a NEL payment for the present/future damage and loss to our teeth. If any of u have tried this approach or are interested in joining with me and as a group getting a lawyer to do a class action approach to this please comment or write me.
|

replied September 30th, 2013
My name is Sandi Hiller Iannaccone from York, SC I want to sue the pharmaceutical companies to pay for my tooth decay from taking morphine since 1998. I talked to a lawyer and it needs to be a class action suit, so we need to get as many people as possible to join the cause. I have lost 4 teeth and have decay and cavities in all of my remaining teeth from the morphine. No warnings no nothing,this could have been prevented and I am not able to afford the dental treatment I need. I am 48 years old and even my 73 year old Mother still has all her teeth and at my age I don't. I have before and after pictures and I am ready to fight. Find me on Facebook pictured with my husband I have LONG RED HAIR. The more people we can get the better chance we have to get our dental needs paid for, not to mention the pain and suffering I have incurred from my teeth.Please write to me. Thanks Sandi
|

Hi sandi
My name is Tracy I'm on morphine due to back problems and I've also now lost all my teeth which I am really upset about I'm in the uk just wondering we're your from
Thanks Tracy
|

replied August 18th, 2011
I have had a pain pump since 2007. The pump has given me back my life in alot of ways. However I am having alot of problems with my teeth. The decay has been so bad in all my back teeth, upper, lower, and both sides that they had to be pulled. I am currently wearing "flippers" on my top and bottom front teeth, but can no longer pay for the dental work. My top front teeth on either side of the "flipper" are turning and at this point I don't know what to do. My workers comp adjuster isn't very cooperative and will not listen. I need help. How do I get them to listen and see the relationship between the medication in my pump and the decay in my teeth. Is there anyone out there that can help.
|

I wonder how many people with pain pump are having problems with their teeth. Isn't there somewhere like the FDA where you can check side effects of drugs out and or complaints regarding undisclosed side effects such as tooth decay. Does anyone know?
|

User Profile
Especially eHealthy

Unfortunately, xerostomia (dry mouth) is a well known and listed side effect of all opioid medications, as well as many other medicines (antidepressants, antihistamines, etc).

The FDA does have a procedure in place, called the ADR, Adverse Drug Reaction, report. You can notify your pharmacist, physician, or the FDA directly. There is an electronic form on the FDA website, that you can use to report any adverse reaction to any medication (prescription or over the counter).
|

replied November 21st, 2011
its ot just the morphine pump either. i have been on the pill form since june of 2007 and have at least 3 teeth pulled, one root canal, multiple filling and will probally have to have 2 more pulled tomorrow. its not because i dot take good care of my teeth either i was a dental assistant for years i know how to properly take care of my teeth. so this is truely sad and disheartning to me. its about the all mighty dollar though so we wont ever see anything out of it.
|

replied November 21st, 2011
its ot just the morphine pump either. i have been on the pill form since june of 2007 and have at least 3 teeth pulled, one root canal, multiple filling and will probally have to have 2 more pulled tomorrow. its not because i dot take good care of my teeth either i was a dental assistant for years i know how to properly take care of my teeth. so this is truely sad and disheartning to me. its about the all mighty dollar though so we wont ever see anything out of it.
|

replied January 4th, 2012
In have had a morphine pump since 2005 and have had 8 root canals and crowns. Every tooth in my head has decay, especially the front teeth. Even the crowns have decay. My dentist said the only option is false teeth. I have cried way too many hours over this....false teeth at 44....not to mention where would I get the $20K plus? I also have been having a problem coming out of anestesia due to all of my surgeries so this would need to be done with a local.

Has anyone actually had dentures put in and if so what do you think of them?
|

replied October 16th, 2012
Xerostomia
Suffering with the same effect, accelerated tooth damage from dry mouth. I have been on opiates, muscle relaxers, anti-depressants and sleep medication for well over 10 years. Work Comp wants me to C & R this case. I am going to ask for a dental QME and request consideration for dental work in any settlement.
|

We should be warned what the side effects are on first prescribe !!! If I had been told that 6 months later I would have NO teeth I wouldn't have taken the medication ...

When a dying cancer patient is told that he will lose his teeth has a side affect of the morphine I think it's disgusting that I / we aren't told .
My doctor didn't have a clue it was my friend at the pharmacy that told me when I mentioned to her I was having trouble with my teeth , straight away she said you will do the morphine rots from inside along the gum line Sad I was devastated my teeth have completely gone now I have nothing the only choices I have now are dentures because there's no way I could ever afford implants at a quote of 20000
It's ruined my life I hate dentures they are so awful and I gag every time I have to wear them .
|

replied October 25th, 2013
The effect that morphine has on the teeth including dry mouth
Hi everyone,

I am doing a project on the effect that medication has on the teeth including morphine. I then saw all your comments, and am really interested in what you have to say. I know that dry mouth can lead to dental problems, and wanted to know if any of you were warned that dry mouth or dental problems would be a side effect? I would also be interested to know if any of you know the reason why morphine causes these problems as I have been struggling to find a reason.

Thank you
|