Medical Questions > Womens Health > Birth Control Forum

When Does It Work?

Must Read
Birth control is helpful in preventing pregnancy. Need to know more about birth control? Start here to learn more about popular methods of birth control....
You have many birth control options. Each works differently. What are the choices and what should you consider in order to help you make your decision? ...
Each method of birth control comes with risks to your health. What are the general problems you could encounter?...
I just started taking seasonale yesterday. I'm getting married in exactly a month and my doctor never made any comment that me starting now would be a problem. But another doctor (not a gyno) said birth control is only 85% effective after a month. Anyone have any experience with how long it took to kick in? I really don't want to get pregnant on my honeymoon!
Did you find this post helpful?
|

replied August 2nd, 2005
I've never taken seasonale, but most birth control pills are effective after 7 days. To say they are "85% effective" after one month sounds pretty bogus to me. I've never heard that before. If you read the leaflet that came with your pills, it should tell you how long you'll need to use a back-up when first starting on them. My leaflet (ortho tri-cyclen lo) says to use a back-up only for the first 7 days. After one month, I would assume you'd be totally fine. Best of luck and congratulations on your upcoming wedding!
|
Did you find this post helpful?
Quick Reply