Medical Questions > Mental Health > Anxiety and Stress Forum

Blood Pressure

Must Read
What exactly is blood pressure in the first place? And how can you know if your blood pressure is either high OR low?...
Millions of American have blood pressure problems. Learn what can put you at risk of high or low blood pressure here....
High blood pressure and low blood pressure manifest physical symptoms. Learn the signs of hypertension and hypotension here....
When I went to the hospital with chest pains about 5 months ago
and had my blood pressure measured it gave a reading of about 150 over something and this was the same when I went to the doctors and and the hospital again.
I am only 15
i am assuming it is so high because of being anxious and stressed at these times and was just wondering what other peoples blood pressures were if you were measured at the hospital
(mainly towards those of you who have gone to the hospital with symptoms)
Did you find this post helpful?
|

replied August 1st, 2005
Experienced User
???
|

replied August 2nd, 2005
Experienced User
?????
|

replied August 13th, 2005
That's high for anyone especially your age. What is your weight and height?
|

replied August 20th, 2005
Experienced User
I'm about average weight and height,
i just had my bp taken again and it was about 128\69
and the same again on a second reading yet I was more anxious than
ever before, what the hell is going on why was it so high the other two
times yet I was sure I was not as anxious as I am now???
|

replied August 20th, 2005
|

replied May 10th, 2006
Experienced User
My blood pressure was higher then that adn heart rate at 150 when I had a panic attack at my drs he said tho it was jus becuase of the attack and not to worry.Juts to calm down. Blood pressure also goes up wen you exrecise no?
|

replied May 10th, 2006
Experienced User
128/69 is a very good blood pressure!
|

replied May 11th, 2006
Delancy, I can tell you're a very anxious person. You need to have your anxiety addressed first. Even more than your physical problems. You're obsessed with the thought of possibly having diseases. Normal healthy people don't obsess over that.

You will die but realistically, the odds of you dying is very slim in your age group - only 1 out of 1000. That's it. Very slim and most of the deaths are from accidents and preventable diseases, not heart diseases.

Anxiety always causes high blood pressure. If you're anxious about your blod pressure being monitored, it will cause "white coat" syndrome.

Optimal pressure is around 120/80 or less.

Blood pressure usually go up to 190/80 when you exercise. That is good. If a dialostic pressure (the second number) increases, it signals a problem. If a systolic pressure doesn't increase by more than 40 while exercising then it signals a grave warning - expect death very soon and unfortunately, there is nothing that can be done to treat or reverse that problem.

You may look into lexapro. It may be effective for your anxiety.
|

replied May 11th, 2006
Experienced User
hypohealth wrote:
delancy, I can tell you're a very anxious person. You need to have your anxiety addressed first. Even more than your physical problems. You're obsessed with the thought of possibly having diseases. Normal healthy people don't obsess over that.

You will die but realistically, the odds of you dying is very slim in your age group - only 1 out of 1000. That's it. Very slim and most of the deaths are from accidents and preventable diseases, not heart diseases.

Anxiety always causes high blood pressure. If you're anxious about your blod pressure being monitored, it will cause "white coat" syndrome.

Optimal pressure is around 120/80 or less.

Blood pressure usually go up to 190/80 when you exercise. That is good. If a dialostic pressure (the second number) increases, it signals a problem. If a systolic pressure doesn't increase by more than 40 while exercising then it signals a grave warning - expect death very soon and unfortunately, there is nothing that can be done to treat or reverse that problem.

You may look into lexapro. It may be effective for your anxiety.

why would a person take their blood pressure during exercise? I go to the gym, and I have never seen anyone running around with a blood pressure cuff hanging from their arm. Lol.. K, but now ya got me worried sayin all that !!! How in the heck would you know if your blood pressure rose or not?
|

replied September 24th, 2006
Noni - Amazingly Effectife As a Cure For High Blood Pressure
From sources believed to be totally reliable, it was reported that noni users have detected amazing results over the years. It is said to be effective as a cure for high blood pressure.

The ingredients and their healthful benefits explain noni's increasing popularity in the united states of america
traditional polynesian healers have used the fruit of noni plant for thousands of years to address a variety of health disorders.

It is truly rare to find a pure product so comprehensive in its benefits and so rich in scientific validation.

Dr. Amru
|

User Profile
replied August 20th, 2007
Experienced User
mitch7654 wrote:
My blood pressure was higher then that adn heart rate at 150 when I had a panic attack at my drs he said tho it was jus becuase of the attack and not to worry.Juts to calm down. Blood pressure also goes up wen you exrecise no?

Mitch, I also had a PA in my docs office! My BP went way high. I was just so nervous about discussing my anxiety with her. I have spent my whole life hiding it from the world. It was good tho, cause she really got to see my problem first hand. Honestly I think she would have made a great psychiatrist, she made me feel so much calmer. That's when I went on Cymbalta. It has been so good for me. I can think clearly and the old tapes in my head just don't turn on anymore.
|

replied June 23rd, 2009
Blood pressure ranges, exercise blood pressure, anxiety bp
Okay, alot of these post are correct and some arent and some are half and half.

Its like this, blood pressure varies tremendously. AVERAGE, key word average, is 120/80. My normal blood pressure is 130/80, my fathers normal blood presure is 112/70, I have a much bigger arm than he does, and this also causes variation in blood pressure readings.my mother who has a smaller arm than my dad and me has a bp of 116/80 or so. So you see variations occur for many reason, genetics, size of arm etc etc... Its generally assumed that a CONSTANT systolic bp of 140+ may be a problem(Stage one hyper tension, but again 142/85 might be okay for some people), anything over 150+ is defiantly a problem(stage 2 + hypertension)

When im very nervous my blood pressure can be 196/90. I went to the hospital once when i had my first panic attack and my bp was 190/90 in the ambulance with HR around 110, and im sure it was much higher when I called 911 cause I felt much better in the ambulance. When i called 911 im sure my bp was 200/90+ and i was just sitting there( i felt like i was going to die). But this is okay, because my body was in fight or flight mode so my body made the nessecary changes to handle the rise in blood pressure without serious risk to my actual physical health... my mental health is something different though.

Chest pain is also a symptom of anxiety. Are you sure it was "REAL" cheat pain, because REAL chest pain is going to hurt, not just some thing that kinda bothers you like a gas pain. Although a radiating pain that is dull and not hurt too much shouldnt be ignored either, in fact if you have chest pain it should be almost always checked. You have to know your body and understand what your feeling. I know when im having anxiety, you must know too.

Also when you do cardio, your bp can be over 200/100 easily. When you weight lift your systolic blood pressure, the top number can be up to 400. This is normal when you lift weights, really lift wieght like bench pressing 250 lbs or squating sets of 300 or deadlifting 450 lbs. If your doing light weight than your bp shouldnt get out of the 200's, but serious weight lifting your bp can be up to 400 or slightly higher. This is why if your going to do an extreme exercising routine you need to have everything checked out. A normal healthy body can tolerate bp this high as long as its for a reason, the body has ways to compensate. However, if there is something wrong with you like a heart problem or a small tear in some artery, you wont be able to handle this kind of pressure.There have been cases of professional weight lifters dying because their aorta ruptures(although they were doing 800+ lbs) Point of the story, if your going to do hardcore lifting, make sure you get the okay from you doctor.

Know your body, know your limits, this is the first step.
|

replied April 2nd, 2010
relax ....if it happned when u went to the doctors or any medical facility, its probably coz u were anxious....we dont take the b.p measure as soon as u put on the b.p cuff coz given the anxiety of going into the doctors clinic (its called ''white coat'' syndrome)ure gonna have a high b.p....I as a doctor have a B.P of 130/80 which may be due to my lifestyle ....go to a clinic and check ure B.M.I as well as B.M.R ...ure doctor will be able to assess ure condition ..and check for "anxiety disorders" which are the leading causes of benign hypertension .
|