Medical Questions > Conditions and Diseases > Mononucleosis Forum

How Long Does a Sore Throat Last When You Have Mono (Page 1)

Must Read
Is mononucleosis bacterial or viral? Does everyone get mono at some time? How does mono spread? Basic facts and definitions about "the kissing disease". ...
Do you know what causes mono? Although children are more at risk than adults,what can you do to avoid getting sick from mono? Review risk factors here....
The symptoms of mono may not manifest for everyone who contracts the Epstein-Barr virus. But when are symptoms serious? And when should you seek medical help?...
User Profile
Well that is basically it? Just as the subject says. How long have most ppl had a sore throat while having mono for. Ive heard you can have a sore throat anywhere's from 3 days to 3 weeks. Is this true??
Did you find this post helpful?
First Helper MissAngie
|

replied July 30th, 2005
Extremely eHealthy
Our whole household got mono when my 17 yr old came down with it. We were sick for months it seemed like. Spleen was swollen and something you have to really watch out for. No strenuos activities. I dont remember how long the sore throat lassted, but I do remember this thick almost pasty phelm that just never wanted to go away.
Couldn't clear the throat like normal. Just felt like s**t for a long time. No energy, just want to sleep.
|

User Profile
replied July 30th, 2005
Experienced User
Thatss terrible. Did your stomach hurt really bad and did you throw up? Or did it justs get big?
|

replied July 31st, 2005
Extremely eHealthy
I myself was nauseus everyday, but dint throw up--stomach was swollen, due to spleen being swollen. I think my son, the one who brought it home, actually did throw up--man he got it bad. He was so sick. He and his sister slept constantly for a week and of and on for another week. Felt pooky and lethargic for a couple months
|

replied April 27th, 2009
mono
can u get mono back if u had it before
|

replied October 16th, 2009
can you get mono back after youve had it
yes you can. it never leaves your body and you will get it back.and it may drag with you for awhile or you can just get sleep days radomly.
|

replied May 7th, 2010
i have it right now- if i get rid of it (symptoms r gone and everything) am i still able to give it to someone else?
|

replied May 29th, 2010
How long will my Throat and Ears Hurt ? Help D:
I'm so angry. I went to the doctors, and i have Mono. this blows. i had plans this weekend, and im trapped inside like a caged dog.

my throat is killing me though, and about two weeks ago i felt like i had the flu. i think i may have givin' mono to my bestfriend cause she drank from my water bottle.. i feel bad, but she doesn't care she just wants to miss school..
and i kissed my boyfriend last weekend, he better not get it.. i don't want him getting fired from his job all cause of me.. even though i had no idea..

but yes, i'm curious, how long will my throat and ears hurt :/ is it normal for my throat to bleed D:
|

replied June 11th, 2010
I am pretty sure I have mono It started with a swolen tonsille, then came exaustion, red throat, Nausea, swolen glands, and A marbeled like patern at the very back of my throat. Has any one experienced with mono white patches back there? I almost looks like a mild yeast buil up ?
|

replied June 12th, 2010
yo i just came down with mono like a week ago, so far my throat glands are swollen and my face is puffy, the back of my throat feels like razor blades every time i swallow... anyone know what i can do for my throat so i can eat?
|

replied June 13th, 2010
I heard you can ask your doctor for a shot to lessen the swelling... Not eating can make you sick too
|

replied June 18th, 2010
I got mono right now
I got mono 2 days ago man does it suck i would rather have the flue. I litterly fell asleep upstairs woke up in the basement passed back out there and woke up on a chair in my backyard, yet i dont remember ever moving from place to place. Currently i am experiencing a little bit of nausea becuase i havent ate in 2 days i had half of a MCdonalds milkshake yesterday that has been it. alot of fluids tho. today hasnt been as bad iv had more energy then yesterday but still waking up with a bit of a fever and throat kills id say thats the worst i want to know when this throat buisness goes away does anyone know?
|

replied July 4th, 2010
What to expect during Mono?
I've had mono for an exact week now and for the first 5 days my throat was very irritating & painful & i just felt like dying. But um the 6th day my throat was fine and wasnt hurting but it had that mucus build up that kept me from eating and drinking b/c it cause me to choke or something to go down the wrong pipe, so I kept researching & ppl said oh icecream & milkshakes so I drunk a milkshake & that didnt help AT ALL. Now on day 7, I'm trying to get my throat healed & trying to keep this mucus under control b/c it will have you getting up every 5-10 mins just to spit it up. Ugh. Other than that I have a very mild case of mono, my energy isnt all the way there but i can move about on my own at all times, there is constipation, and of course fatigue.
|

replied August 28th, 2010
Okay! I promise you this will work if you are in the first stage of mono, with the unbearable-i want to die- sore throat! Go back to your doctor demand: methylprednisolone, which is a form of steroid that will make the swelling in your neck go down alittle. Also, ask for hydrocodone which will, obviously, take the pain away! I felt better 1 hour after taking the meds! Thank you jesus, I will live another day!! Trust me this works! I had to share!!
|

replied July 11th, 2011
does it make the sore throat go away?
|

replied January 8th, 2012
I'm currently laying in the hospital after being formally diagnosed with mono on Monday. I've been sick for 2 weeks and haven't been to work.

As far as the throat is concerned, yesterday morning mine almost swelled shut. They were giving me the above listed cocorticosteroid via IV, then switched to prednisone orally to see if I could be alright on that and be released. Too early. I'm back on the IV. What I can tell you is that for me at least, I notice hardly any difference with the steroids. The only pain suppressant I'm permitted is one ibuprofen every 6 hours since the mono also affected my liver, which pain killers can harm. I'm sure the hydrocodone is a great help.

I've been drinking hot tea and honey, which initially I thought would inflame it since its hot liquid, but it's quite soothing.

Best of luck to you.
|

replied November 6th, 2012
mono
yes i too had both of those.
|

replied June 21st, 2012
My dumb doctor said there is no relief for it. I was mad! I said there has to be something. She said no. I was like what the heck???? So I've been doing research myself and seems like I have come up with more answers than she said.. I think I need to switch doctors.
|

replied November 9th, 2010
Mono Causing Issues - Please Help
I got Mono on Valentine's Day earlier this year. For the first 3 months I couldn't do anything but sleep and lay around trying to rest up and get better. My entire life was put on hold because of that. My throat was horrendously sore for about a week in the beginning, but it's been off and on sore since then. My spleen and liver were both enlarged and I could barely move for 3 months. After that, I developed these "knots" in my abdomen that cause terrible pain. Feels like I have hernias all over, above my bellybutton and all the way across from the left side of my ribcage to the right side. I got examined by several doctors and they said I was fine and sent me on my way. The most recent one attributed my pain to heartburn and prescribed me Prilosec. I've been taking that for over half a month and it hasn't helped at all. I am taken aback as to what could be going on, I never had pain like this before. Not to mention that no matter how much sleep I get, about 9 hours into the day I am beat. Still. 9 months later. And if I don't get at LEAST 10 hours of sleep, I get a sore throat and my glands get swollen all over again. And it takes days to recover. I used to be one of those types of people that could endure anything, go anywhere, loved to explore, loved to go out and do stuff. I traveled back and forth to California and to Hawaii the previous year before I got Mono. Now it's hard for me to take a trip to the grocery store without feeling horrible. My anxiety is at an all-time high - I always feel like something is wrong with me, and I can't handle hot temperatures anymore. I get dehydrated even though I drink over 2 liters of water per day. I used to be fine on less than half of that. Anyone else have these issues? Maybe there's something that can be done to help these symptoms? Thanks.
|

replied December 16th, 2010
Mono
I have mono right now, its terrible and my throat has been extremely sore. Ive been puking and i can barely eat anything because my throat is so sore, i just want to know how long the sore throat will last for. Ive had mono for exactly 4 days now.
|

replied December 16th, 2010
Mono
I have mono right now, its terrible and my throat has been extremely sore. Ive been puking and i can barely eat anything because my throat is so sore, i just want to know how long the sore throat will last for. Ive had mono for exactly 4 days now.
|

replied January 2nd, 2011
How do you know if you have mOno? Because I'm not really sure but I don't want to go to my mom and ask to go to the doctors and see if I have mon becausE she will ask allthese questions can someone help me?
|

replied February 18th, 2011
I just got over mono..but I just found out I had it. I thought I had the flu 2 weeks ago and the doctor called me back today and said it was mono. My sore throat, fever and fatique lasted about a week. But now when I don't rest well I wake up with a sore throat again..is this going to be like this forever?
|

replied February 24th, 2011
Jello Pops!! :)
Hey Everyone!
I thought I had tonsillitis again last week so I went to my doc on friday and he gave me amniproxin again, just like last time, but by monday my throat had closed up so much my mom took me to the ER, had some blood work done and was told it was mono, dang antibiotics make mono so much worse if your symptom is swollen tonsils!
An awesome trick I found was making sugar free Jello and putting it in popsicle makers instead of a container in the fridge! takes them longer to melt and the jello effect is great for your throat!! Hope it helps you!
|
12 >>
Quick Reply