Medical Questions > Mens Health > Sexual Health - Men Forum

Semen Colour Changed But No Other Problems?

Must Read
Talking openly about the penis is a very personal matter. Learn basic penis anatomy to discuss penile disorders accurately with your doctor....
Penis symptoms that interfere with sexual activity or urination could be serious. Learn the signs and symptoms of penis problems that require a doctor's help....
How do urologists evaluate and diagnose painful penis? A penis disorder is a medical problem. Learn more about possible diagnoses for penis disorders now....
Hi, i'm really not sure whether this is a problem or not but my semen has turned inot a darkish yellow colour. The reason I don't know whether to be worried or not is that I have no other problems, no pain, my semen still smells the same and has the same consistency. It would seem that everything is fine, however my cum is usually whitish with perhaps a tiny hint of yellow but mostly white. However over the last three or so days it has become a dark yellow. I was wondering if this has happened to anyone else and what they did about it and if anyone has any useful information? Thanks in advance.
Did you find this post helpful?
First Helper branflakes
|

replied July 30th, 2005
Experienced User
Any yellow semen is the result of there being urine in the sperm ducts, and therefore that gets mixed with the semen turning it a slightly yellow colour. As a result, dark yellow semen is the result of dark yellow urine, and thus you need to combat that problem. Yellow urine usually means you're dehydrated, or that you have a minor infection. In both cases, keeping up your fluids is a must, so that's the only real course of action i'd suggest to take. If it carries on for a long period of time you could see your doctor, but short term it's really nothing to worry about.
|

replied July 30th, 2005
Extremely eHealthy
Actually I would have said the same thing about the urine being mixed with it.

But... Isnt the 2 nevr suppose to be together??

Flap door??

Could his penis have a film in the tube from the urine that inturn would cause the yellow?? And if they are mixed doesn't he have to go to the dr straight away??
|

replied July 30th, 2005
Experienced User
I Hate to Get You Worried But....
I hate to get you worried but....Whenever I have heard about anything other than the normal color coming from the man's penis-- it is a sign of an infection, I am not saying an std but that coul dbe a possibility, go to the doctors, they can give you a def answer.
|

replied July 31st, 2005
Experienced User
Fatfamily02, the body does have a sort of flap door to prevent urine leaking during ejaculation, but that can't get rid of urine that has already passed through that area. Urine can always be in the urethra, way past the bladder. In which case, staylor's diagnosis of infection is only another possibility and not a certainty by any means. I'd still go with dehydration or minor non-sexual infection for the time being. Obviously if it continues for more than a week or so, then see what your doctor says and get a urine sample taken, etc.
|

replied January 27th, 2008
THANK YOU
AM GLAD TO SEE THIS ISSUE DISCUSSED. AM A VICTIM OF THE SAME CIRCUMSTANCE WHICH KEPT ME WORRIED ESPECIALLY SEEING MY SEMEN SO YELLO FOR THE FIRST TIME EVER.
AT LEAST NOW I KNOW THE POSSIBLE CAUSES. AM GOING TO FOLLOW THIS UP AND SEE IF I REALLY NEED A DOCTOR.
ONCE AGAIN THANK YOU
|

replied January 27th, 2008
ALCHOHOL AND THE BRAIN
IN MY EARLY YOUTH, I ABUSED ALCHOHOL AND USE TO DRINK SPIRITS. AFTER COMING TO MY SENSES I BEGAN TO SLOW DOWN AND NOW I DONT FEEL WEIRED WITHOUT A BEER YET IT HAD GOT TO THAT STAGE AT SOME POINT.
I AM NOW BECOMING CONCERN ABOUT MY BRAIN, IF ALCHOHOL DAMAGED THE BRAIN, COULD IT BE A PERMANET PROBLEM? I HAVE SPENT 3 MONTHS WITHOUT DRINKING AND I INTEND TO STOP BUT I AT TIMES FORGET THINGS EASLY AND THAT KEEPS ME WONDERING IF ITS THE ALCHOHOL ABUSE.
LASTLY WE HAVE TRIEE FOR A BABY BUT IN VAIN FOR OVER A YEARS BUT IN VAIN. COULD THAT BE AN ALCHOHOL RELATED ISSUE.
I HAD A SPERM TEST TWICE AND FOR BEFORE STOPPING MY DRINKING HABBITS AND THE DOCTOR SAID THAT MY SPERM COUNT WAS LOW AND THE SPERMS WERE NOT MOBILE ENOUGH, IF THIS WAS DUE TO ALCHOHOL, NOW THAT AM GIVING UP I DONT KNOW IF I WILL GET BACK TO NOMAL.
I NEEE ADVICE PLEASE
THANKS
|

replied January 25th, 2012
The first year being totally clean from alcohol your body will go through massive changes chemically, so yes this will effect your memory and your thought process give it time to heal and make certain to stay hydrated and up especially on vitamin B1. Depending on the damage you caused your liver you run a risk of shrinkage in your testicles and increase in your chest (man boobs), again it will depend on your liver and how much damage you have done, some men will have a loss of testosterone and an increase in estrogen, usually a sign of alcoholism. Regarding your sperm count that will depend on a number of things yes your alcohol abuse, but more importantly your diet and exercise, only your doctor can help determine what the best route is on that one. Good Luck!
|

replied January 21st, 2009
the yellow in the sperm
i think you guys have done a really good job coz i have the same prob and i was really worried, but i do worry but not as i used to,
|

replied March 3rd, 2009
Proper Information
depending on many factors including frequency of ejaculation, diet, general health, etc., the volume, consistency and color of the semen can vary. A yellow cast to the semen, as you have noted, is very common and a variation of normal. If you take multivitamins, this may be a cause. Although there is no need to be medically concerned, stopping the vitamin supplement may help. Thickened semen usually occurs if one ejaculates infrequently and is due to concentration of that portion formed in the seminal vesicles. Occasional clear semen is not a specific sign of disease. A brown or red tint to the semen is a sign of bleeding, usually from the prostate gland. Although prostate bleeding is generally of a benign nature, it is best to have this evaluated by a urologist
|

replied July 26th, 2010
Yellow Semen with a brown tint in it
Recently I I have yellow cast semen problem and a brown tint to the semen but it not happening everytimes. For example, i ejaculated today and found brown tint with yellow cast in my semen but the next day my semen looks normal back. But after a few days, it shown back brown tint...is that a sign of desease?
|

replied February 10th, 2011
Dark yellow sperm
I have just had the same problem! i hope it is a dehydration thing because i haven been the last few days
|

User Profile
replied February 10th, 2011
Experienced User
Discolored semen, especially yellowish, tan, or brown, can mean infection, such as prostate gland infection. In theory it could be an STD, especially gonorrhea or chlamydia, but those are very unlikely to persist for a year, and would also cause abnormal discharge from the penis and/or painful urination. Yeast infection wouldn't cause this. Sugar intake probably is unrelated. However, diabetics are at increased risk for all kinds of infection, so you might check this out if you are at risk for diabetes (family history, overweight, etc).

If intermittent and darker (brown or visibly bloody), the most common cause is blood in the semen. Hematospermia--the medical term--occurs from time to time in many men, usually spontaneously and sometimes after trauma to the perineum (the area between the scrotum and anus), such as following a bike ride, off-road cycling, horseback riding, etc.

Bottom line: I would see a general physician; or if you like, a urologist. I doubt anything serious will be found, but the infection idea should be checked out.

Please feel free to private message me for further details
Colin2011
|

replied January 26th, 2012
My seaman changed colour as stated in my post 17/3/11.
This was the only sign of change from what was previously a consistently normal whitish colour.
The thickness of it also changed and became thinner.
The quantity also became less than previously.
I recommend a visit to your doctor if you get any of these symptoms ...it's not worth the risk of not doing this.
|

replied March 17th, 2011
Well I had discoloured seamen and eventually I went to the doc with a sample. He said it was not unusual but it was unusual for me. About a year later after no change in colour I went to another doctor and he referred me to the hospital for a prostate biopsy following this I was diagnosed with prostate cancer and have since had successful radiotherapy treatment. Don't be put off get your prostate checked out if you have discoloured seamen
|

replied February 22nd, 2012
Causes of yellow Semen
Some say if you eat two many onions and Beets, it can cause this. Also, bad hygiene, can be the cause. And not jacking off more than a week can cause the same affect.
peace
|

replied March 20th, 2012
So, yea. I had this issue, and it was going on for a while. I started working out recently, and because I started working out, the amount of water I drink in a day has gone through the roof by comparison. I don't drink sodas anymore. Pretty much just water. My semen is now back to the usual white. Im more likely to say, if you haven't put yourself in a situation where you could have an STD, then its prob a matter of you not being hydrated. I say, drink nothing but water, maybe 80-100oz a day for about 2 weeks. You'll first notice that your urine is much clearer than it was previously, which takes out the yellow tint factor from that aspect. If your semen goes back to white, then awesome, you just need to put down the beer and soda, and keep yourself hydrated properly. If your semen is still yellow, or has any kind of tint, then you can pretty much be sure that its some sort of infection. Go to the doctor.
|

replied May 7th, 2012
Yellow Semen
My semen has been yellow and watery since I had a vasectomy and my penis stings when I ejaculate.
Did the surgeon bodge the operation? Can it be corrected?
|

replied August 10th, 2012
My sperm was a brownish tint about 3 days ago now it's a yellowish tint also my Gentiles were having some pain but now the pain is gone but my sperm is still yellow do you think I'm ok ?
|