Medical Questions > Mental Health > Depression Forum

Increased Sex Drive On Wellbutrin Xl? (Page 1)

Must Read
Do you know how doctors define clinical depression? Learn more about this brain disorder and types of depression that doctors diagnose here....
Can depression run in families? Can hormones really make you depressed? Yes! Learn more about causes and conditions of clinical depression here....
People with depressive illnesses do not all experience the same symptoms. Do you know the signs and symptoms of depression? Read on to learn more....
Hi everyone. This is my first post. Anyway, i’ve been taking wellbutrin xl for depression for about 4 weeks now and my sex drive has gone through the roof! Has anyone else experienced this? I’ve been having dreams about sex every night and its all I can think about at work during the day. I’ve also been having like 5 or more orgasms a day. I’ve always had a high sex drive, but this is nuts. Not that I don’t enjoy it, but is this something I should be concerned about?
Did you find this post helpful?
First Helper Rod Palmer
|

replied July 30th, 2005
Re: Increased Sex Drive On Wellbutrin Xl?
It is a normal side effect of the drug you are taking.......I would tell my doctor but I don't think it is anything to worry about.

rod palmer wrote:
hi everyone. This is my first post. Anyway, i’ve been taking wellbutrin xl for depression for about 4 weeks now and my sex drive has gone through the roof! Has anyone else experienced this? I’ve been having dreams about sex every night and its all I can think about at work during the day. I’ve also been having like 5 or more orgasms a day. I’ve always had a high sex drive, but this is nuts. Not that I don’t enjoy it, but is this something I should be concerned about?
|

replied April 17th, 2012
ROD PALMER? U have a friend, I started taking Wellbutrin SR 600 mg/day in 1994, it was 1st and only drug prescribed me and I had been thru ALL the anti depressants with NO HELP at all. Each month my Psychiatrist said "help?" me answer: "nothing" ok lets up the dosage, or if at max? We changed to another med and I went thru them ALL.
He was Dr of ZERO words, I was in and out in 5 minutes max with new RX I found little cold, felt he should chat a bit ANYWAYS, I was at 450 mg day Wellbutrin and said "Doc, I have SMALLEST feeling a door is opening and I see some light, let me go over to the 600 mg level as this is like the last med........he agreed BUT THIS time he said something: "HAVE A GOOD SEX LIFE" I thought "what the heck he say anything one, and two, WHY THAT??? What does he know I do not? I found out, 4 orgasms a day not abnormal and really INTENSE/felt like head exploding.........that I felt is a problem but didnt want to give it up as LOVED the feeling. I started x-dressing home only as hottest looking thing u ever seen, I fell on it by accident, put wifes nylon on looked in mirror and said "please mirror say NO" but it just said OH YEAH BB, surprise, and just looking at self in nylons made me crazy and orgasms even stronger. Well then, red toes, anklet, high open toes, slim trim, wig, and other clothing to make it as GOOD AS COULD GET IT and wow it was crazy.........I am hetro, still am always will be, married 31+ & NOT CHANGING EVER!!!! I read 95% x-dressers hetro and stay that way........if I had been ugly? I would trashed it all, but I totally SMOKED and went on alt.binaries.crossdressers and posted my pictures, people went CRAZY. So then I wanted the thrill of people seeing me live on IRC and programs handle video and sometimes 15 people watch me get off and it was ultimate.......THEN I had anxiety problems, other issues, started taking "slow down" meds and I quit dressing and sex went back to normal as COUNTERED by lot other drugs. I did it 2 years age 34, 35, 15 yrs later........now I started failing liver tests so decide NO PILL IN MOUTH unless it is a MUST and I take Wellbutrin SR 600 mg day on its own again and I found myself with head exploding again and intense 3 - 4 times /a day need for orgasm, started the crossdress thing.......well I am in 50's but guess what, STILL SMOKE SERVERS DOWN when x-dress and it is not impressing people, it is me looking at self and going OMG U(me) look so sexy, I could marry my hand and be in love, the other stuff all followed again but that just is me going to the MAX.......as remember now, I failed liver tests so stopped everything except Wellbutrin SR 600 mg and the sex crazed intense need returned. I love people to watch as it adds to it, not ever left house, just using internet, now it much more easy to play this type game. NOW I NOW WHY DOC SAID "Have a good sex life"............I find myself pushing more and more, not going to go out or anything but am scared it seems to be my only thing with kids gone, became disabled and I am scared so my new psychiatrist offered some counter RX's but I can't give it away and dont take the meds........it is very ADDICTING to have orgasms that are so GOOD 2x day now...
I am scared tho, feel going to get in trouble or something and think gonna have to give it up and take the meds...........long story but it is my life and I KNOW IT IS THE WELLBUTRIN as it hit like a hammer, then got stopped by other meds, NOW I got hit by HAMMER EXACT SAME WAY so I am on my life positive it is the Wellbutrin...........what is the right thing to do? I shave legs even got so crazy with it...........but I am hetro, not changing............just think it is wrong and should STOP IT. Hope this helps as telling someone HELPS ME A LOT.
Thanks for you opening up,
BobbyBoy2012
|

replied July 30th, 2005
Good, so how long is this going to last? I will it go away once my body gets used to the drug, or will it last for as long as I take it?
|

replied August 3rd, 2005
Sex Drive
Your lucky. It did nothing but decrease mine. Keep smiling and enjoy while you can. Piglady
|

replied December 3rd, 2011
Bupropion
For how long you had been taking bupropion and what dosis?

Take care
|

replied May 22nd, 2009
too much
no man, im also on wellbutrin, frecuent orgasms depleate high amounts of energy and vitality. ill quit the drug because its disturbing to be distratcted so constanttly and pervasily to sex.
|

replied June 21st, 2009
I have been on it for only 1 week and I am a bit freaked out about the sex drive increase. I just hope that this is not going to work agains me in the future. I am loving it and so does my boyfriend. I always had a healthy sexual apetite until I got terribly depressed 4 years ago. It took me a while to convice myself to medicate for many reasons, but I have changed my atitude since and it was the best decision I could have made. I have tried a few diferent drugs and most of them have killed my sexual drive and even made me eat more. So if this is going to increase my sexual drive and give me fun dreans - I'll take it. I am finding my self wondering off in the middle of a client meeting but my job is pritty intence and I snap out of it fast.
|

replied July 23rd, 2009
Wellbutrin and Increased sex drive and decreased appetite!
I have been on Wellbutrin SR 150 mg twice a day for about 6 weeks now. WOW WOW WOW is all I can say. I used to have a healthy sex drive until I had my two kids who are now 14 and 11, then has the depression got worse through the years, often times it seemed as my sex drive was dead and I am only 33 years old. I would make love to my husband of 15 years just to satisfy him ( I never really told him that though). With the depression came a significant weight gain, and now I have virtually NO appetite and a HUGE sex drive. Sex is all I can think about most of the day!! Now my husband can't keep up... he says I am killing him..lol! Oh yeah and so far I have lost about 23 pounds. WOO HOO. I also am no longer sad or in a fog and I don't get angry anymore, it was easy for me to get "set off" BUT NOW everything feels great. This is MY MIRACLE PILL!!!!!!!
|

replied September 27th, 2012
Did you feel side effects when you first took Wellbutrin SR? For how long? My head feels swooshy and i am teary.
|

replied July 26th, 2009
Wellbutrin cause Increased Sex Drive & Boost in Energy
mogo13 - I think we're in the same boat here. I just started Wellbutrin SR 150mg twice a day last week. 1 week I've been on it & I just can't get enough sex from my husband. I think about it all day & can't wait for him to get home from work so we can get a quickie in before dinner. This is disturbing for me b/c we have a 4 year old...yeah not so good! My sex drive has been nonexistent since our son was born & I, too, only did it to satisfy him (never really enjoying it myself & I'm only 29!!!) The orgasms I'm having now are THE most intense I've ever experienced as well. My hubby also says now that he's "Tired" & just "wants to cuddle" LOL - looks like the table's turned a bit! In the last week I've also had a huge boost in energy. I have fibromyalgia & the chronic fatigue that comes with that is unbearable some days - very difficult to get out of bed. This new boost of energy I have - it's SUCH a nice side effect - I kinda feel like I'm on Speed right now. Another bonus is that in the last week - I've lost 3 lbs & haven't done ANYTHING different! Am loving this medication & hope it continues to work for me - I'm no longer sad or overwhelmed as I was before. I know everyone reacts differently to medications but this one is really working for me. I hope this helps others who are looking for some answers.
|

replied July 27th, 2009
Extremely eHealthy
Hey Rod, this is a side effect but it's not common to all users. If only to better understand the effect on users you should advise your doctor its happenning. If it's a serious issue it is possible your doctor can adjust your dosage or prescribe an altnernate drug.
|

replied August 20th, 2009
Libido and Wellbutrin
I'm a 51 year old female who had no libido prior to changing from Effexor to Wellbutrin XL. Not only has my depression, mood and energy improved, but my libido is stronger than is has ever been. I've been on Wellbutrin for 2 years now and there is no signs that the libido is waning. I'm lovin' it!
|

replied October 7th, 2009
welbutrin xl
I was having full blown orgasms in my sleep without any sexual activity each night from the very first day I started taking it. I lost weight and quit smoking immediately but about 3 months later the weight came back.
|

replied October 7th, 2009
rainbow
|

replied December 10th, 2009
Tomorrow is the beginning of the rest of my life!!!
Hey all!!! Tomorrow is my first day and I am getting my hopes up. I am 26 years old and have no sex drive. It's causing a huge problem in my 5 year relationship. The first two years were great but since my son my libido is non-existant. Keep your fingers crossed for me.
|

replied February 10th, 2010
LOL
This is crazy!! I started taking Welbutrin about a month ago, last week I started to get a crazy sex drive. It is driving me crazy, I dont mind it but this is just to much! I am also taking Zoloft which decreases sex drive, so it's weird I want sex alll day and when I get it I cant orgasm. If this goes on any much longer I am definently going to call my Dr. this is just out of control. LOL I have been trying to figure out why this sudden change, I didn't know what the hell was going on. Then I thought maybe it's the medication and found all these comments and started laughing. Does anyone know if this will go away?
|

replied July 11th, 2011
I know you posted this a while ago, but in case you're still having issues with not having orgasms on Zoloft here's some advice: go to the pure romance website and check out their arousal cream called x-scream. it is specifically for women who are taking meds that cause these type of problems. it only takes a small amount and it makes having an orgasm possible! not to mention, it tastes pretty good (according to my fiance). seriously. try it!
|

replied June 10th, 2010
I have been taking Wellbutrin xl 300mg/day for 4 months for anxiety...and my sex drive is off the chart. I simply want sex everyday all the time. I am a 36 year old man with a 16 year old mentality...LOL I have to say it is a lot of fun and my wife is quite simply amazed.

Mcfly
|

replied September 25th, 2012
wellbutrin 300mg XR
How long did it take? I have been on 300mg xl daily for a month and have not seen any I increase in my sexual life with my wife. I use ed meds or an injection to get up.
|

replied June 21st, 2010
wellbutrin, libido
How long after starting the drug did your libido increase? today is my 3rd day, and I've never hoped for a "side effect" so badly.
|

replied June 29th, 2010
Great side effect if you can actually have sex LOL
Hello
I am a 37 yr old woman and I have been on Wellbutrin for a few months. I have always had a good sex drive. When I first started the drug it was a lower level and after a week I noticed an increase in my drive and in the past 2 months my Dr increased my dose to double... WOW... My sex drive is crazy but I have say that it is worst when my cycle starts over and for about 2 1/2 weeks. I think about sex all the time, how and when I can get it. I even plan how I want it and when I don't get it I am frustrated. Having a family and my BF working crazy shifts it tough and he doesn't get it. I almost want him to take the drug too just so he is compatible LOL... I am not taking the drug for my drive... I just wish I could have sex as much as I think about it. I too have woken in the night after having an orgasm. Wish it would happen more!!!
|

replied October 14th, 2010
Yep, the same thing is happening for me. I am a 33 year old female, and I've been on Wellbutrin XL 150mg for the past month. Some time in the last week or so, my libido has gone through the roof. I have always had a fairly strong sex drive, but this is borderline ridiculous. I'm having to resort to masturbation multiple times daily (as my husband is currently over in Iraq) and I've even found the elusive 'female ejaculate'! Hubby's very proud of that one, ha ha.

I've lost weight, have tons of energy during my daily workout, and don't even get frustrated with our 16 month old that has started exhibiting signs of the "terrible twos". The Wellbutrin hasn't made me miss my husband any less, but the depression has lifted.

All I can think about all day long is sex. I'm even thinking about reducing my dosage to every other day until my husband returns home in 3 months. I don't know what to do! He's ordered me some 'toys', but I don't know if that will even help at this point.
|

replied October 19th, 2010
Hi,
I've been on Wellbutrin for 3 weeks. Per doctors instruction I was on 150 mg for a week then went up to 300 mg a week later. I'm starting to feel better but I have not noticed an increase in my sexual libido. Can anyone tell me when they noticed an increase in their libido, how many weeks into the drug?
|

replied October 24th, 2010
I am a 34 year old female, taking 200 mg per day and also have a very high sex drive and think about sex most of the day becoming anxious trying to plan when I can have sex. Sometimes it is all consuming. But I have also noticed that it is much more difficult to climax though sometimes when I do it is mind blowing.
I noticed the increase in libido by 2 weeks into the med.
|